News:

• May 24, 2024, 02:08:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: forming balsa parts  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
forming balsa parts
« on: March 08, 2008, 11:45:04 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm forming some parts for my new junker and was wondering how many form their own parts? Its fun to do and not hard, saves carving blocks and is fast. Some of the nobler kits have formed top cover. I'm making the ares fuselage and decided to form the top and bottom. Might even use stringers for strength. Like most fuselage states to use 1/8", I'm cheap I'm using 3/32" (got the material free, tower send me the wrong balsa). All the balsa I received from tower has the midwest sticker on them, even the 1/16" plywood. My brother wrecked his nobler arf, I'm using the wing and stab from the nobler and I'm installing it in the ares fuse, Just something different, don't want him to have a ordinary plane, what would you call this plane? Maybe install the stiletto type landing gear? I'm going to use the ares tail, love the way it looks. Just having fun, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: forming balsa parts
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 12:05:22 PM »
Hi Gary,

I usually do this if it's not too complex a shaping. While it can certainly be done with top and bottom block with complex curves, when those curves are steep, it can be quite a pain to get it right. I tried don't this with my the current classic plane I'm building. Top block came out marginally (it has a fairly steep vertical curve along with rather severe horizontal curves making molding a block somewhat frustrating, but doable), but the bottom block it was impossible due to the really severe curves. I could have cut the sheet wood to allow it to work, but since I had some really light 1" stock, I decided to just carve them.

For something with little or no really complex curves, it is easy and works great. And it's generally stronger and lighter.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 06:11:35 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm surprised I didn't get any response about this process. I use planes that crashed for forms. The fuselage is nice to use so you don't have to carve new blocks. I believe forming wood is lighter and very quick. Most guys don't crash their planes, just use the ones others crash? I use rubber bands to hold the wood around the old parts, of coarse you have to soak the wood first, form bye hand than mold around part. Easy and fun, have a great day Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 06:18:49 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm surprised I didn't get any response about this process. I use planes that crashed for forms. The fuselage is nice to use so you don't have to carve new blocks. I believe forming wood is lighter and very quick. Most guys don't crash their planes, just use the ones others crash? I use rubber bands to hold the wood around the old parts, of coarse you have to soak the wood first, form bye hand than mold around part. Easy and fun, have a great day Gary

Hi Gary,

Just saw this.  I have been molding balsa for 15 years or so.  I mainly do wing LEs, but I am doing a turtle deck for a large P-51B right now.  I like to *semi* mold parts like the turtle deck.  I use formers, and a middle stringer on the top.  It is a lot quicker!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 06:24:56 PM »
 I do as Bill does, LE's etc. One thing you might want to try Gary is an "Ace Bandage" instead of the rubber bands. They don't need to be put on super tight,as they self tighten as they equalize the tension over the whole part. No ugly marks to sand off.

"Billy G"  H^^
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 12:51:23 PM »
I'm like Bill, but I've also molded complex/compound curve fuselages like my F9F and the current Ephesian.  I also did two of my old Seirra's which were complex and compound curves.  Robin's View  videos on molding balsa are really good, even though I hot wire my fuse' molds to rough shape instead of how Bob & Bill do them, and they show quite well how to make the compound curves.
It's the most fun I've had to date for making fuselages!  (I did my first one right after Al Rabe's articles on it "way back when".)  And I do a right and left side for the fuse' halves instead of top/bottom assemblies.
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 09:02:34 AM »
Iwatched a video of Windy's in which he was molding balsa.  Instead of 1/8th he would use 1/16th and in place of 1/16th he used 1/32nd.  Laminations make for stronger peices.  I have also seen the video of Bob Hunts where Billy is doing the molding for the P-47.  Well worth the money for the videos.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here