News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:22:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Pork chop" type control horn  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
"Pork chop" type control horn
« on: December 13, 2006, 07:36:34 PM »
Are there any otehrb sources for the pork chop-shapoed control horn, like the Brodak Differential Control Horn, part # BH-755?

It's shown on the Ares plan.  The idea is to get the flap horn foreward and the elevator output hole on the centerline, to get closer to true-equal throws. 

It would be nice if there was more than just one size to chose from. 

What wouod really be nice would the be design shown on some of the Russian designs and Bill Netzeband's article.  The one where the input and output holes are both the same elevtion from the pivot and the input hole is about 10 degrees forward of the output.
Paul Smith

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "Pork chop" type control horn
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 06:29:51 AM »
Try Control line specialties. There's a link on this forums startup page. There are no illustrations, but the descriptions are OK.

You could use the illustration on the Ares plans and make your own also. I do this often to make sure that the bellcrank to flap link is as accurate as possible.

It's worth the effort.

John miller
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 08:20:16 AM »
Welding & brazing is a skill (and tooling) that I never acquired.  Maybe I should.  But considering  the number of big stunters I expect to build, the "make or buy decision" tips toward the BUY side.

I'll check the CL Specialties site.   I wish they'd offer pictures, my imagiantion isn't all that reliable.
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 09:02:51 AM »
Welding & brazing is a skill (and tooling) that I never acquired.  Maybe I should.  But considering  the number of big stunters I expect to build, the "make or buy decision" tips toward the BUY side.

I'll check the CL Specialties site.   I wish they'd offer pictures, my imagiantion isn't all that reliable.

Hi Paul,

You can contact Tom Morris directly.  I don't have is contact info here, at work, but  someone here does, I am sure.  A phone call is great if you can catch him!  y1

He can make different sizes.

For "big" .61 Piped ships I like the double flap horn where the ball link goes between the two uprights.  They are available in "tweakable" 3/32nd" or 1/8th" wire.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 02:50:06 PM »
I found the site OK, problem is, but I still can't visualize what:

Product ID: BLF-02D

Double Ball Link Flap Horn
1/8 x 1 1/4 x 3/4 Double 

....means ??

Amusing, I can take & post pictures, but not weld control horns.....

He can make control horns, but not fo-grap 'em (Rambo accent).

I guess I could just buy one of each sort it out later. 
In the interim, I picked up a Brodak horn at my corner 711.

Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 08:13:18 PM »
You call it a pork chop horn, I call it a dog leg.  The one described is a dual horn in which the 4-40 ball clevises go between the verticle arms.  The 3/4 hole is for the elevator pushrod.  the 1 1/4 hole is flap to bellcrank.  That is what is being installed in my P-39.  Also it is Control Line Central by Jim Snelson that is taking over Tom's merchandise.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 10:10:38 PM »
Yes, Doc, and I have also called it a "cobra style" horn...

The idea of these is that, at neutral, the pushrod from the bellcrank comes to the flap horn at right angles at neutral, and the pushrod to the elevator leaves the flap horn at right angles, at neutral.

From several studies I've played with over the past few years, this gives the LEAST variance from "proportional" response to upright or inverted control inputs.

Keep in mnd that RCers use strange angle servo and horn  hookups on the aileron output servo wheels to get differential aileron. W/o that, they find outrageous adverse yaw problems - just the things we DON'T want to have to try to trim out over  dozens of flights...

I wish y'all the Happiest Christmas, and Merriest of New Year's 2007!

\BEST\LOU

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here