News:

• May 19, 2024, 05:05:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spraying urethane clear  (Read 818 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Spraying urethane clear
« on: May 18, 2008, 07:02:40 PM »
I hope to painting a plane or two in the next few weeks.  The last plane I finished I used urethane clear and had orange peel, how do I avoid this?

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Spraying urethane clear
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:22:58 PM »
More pressure
AMA 12366

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 07:26:43 PM »
I usually cut my DuPont Chroma Clear about 50% with laquer thinner to keep weight down, and it will flow out better.  You could use retarder.  Make sure the activater is for the right temps you are shooting in.  If its hot and you use mid temp it will dry to fast to lay down.  Anyway, thats what works for me.
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 09:03:23 PM »
James,
no simple answer for this problem . Way to many variables. increasing pressure, increasing amount of solvent. using slower solvent. slower catalyst , holding the gun closer to the surface, narrow the fan adjustment down slightly, your gun traverse speed slowed down. these are all things that can and do effect how the clear lays out.
what gun are you spraying with?
what air pressure at the gun,
what type of urethane clear
what solvent
how far are you holding the gun away from the surface
I am more than willing to help, I paint profesionally so I know some of the things.

The biggest thing is getting the gun tuned right, just like getting a good stunt run,, it takes experience. Most of all don't get frustrated, there are no magic answers and to imply that any ONE thing is right is simply not realistic. Now if only I could get my motors to run as well as my SATA sprays, I would be in heaven!

FWIW, I sprayed my Oriental most recently, I use a SATA mini jet, with about 45 PSI line pressure. I use PPG 2042 clear with standard catalyst. The mix stated in the factory specs is 4 parts clear, 1 part catalyst and 1 part reducer. I spray with a 4 to 1 to 2 mix, an extra part of solvent which helps the clear get from the gun to the surface with enough viscosity to flow when it gets there. The Sata atomizes so well to use less solvent allows it to dry to much on the way from the tip to surface. The Sata has a fantastic pattern for a detail gun, about 4 inches wide. However I generally neck it down to about 3 or slightly over 3 inches for better control and overlap control.
Personally when painting my airplanes, I use the reducer that is one step slower than recommended for the same reasons. for example, if the tem calls for DT 885 I will use DT 895 which is the slower (higher temp) reducer. Again this allows the clear more time to flow. My Oriental has not been buffed and there is no orange peal or texture on the clear at all. The only buffing needed would be to remove a couple small dirt particles that found their way in. I don't like buffing clear especially on something that lives in the harsh chemical environment of our models. there is a certain resilience that is removed when you polish Urethane clear. IOW it weakens it to some extent.
For the record, I must state that in my opinion and experience, using any solvent other than what is designed for the product you are using is asking for disaster. Yes some people do it all the time,and get away with it. Keep in mind that paint companies have engineers and product developement people that spend years formulating this product to work consistantly and correctly. I think its pretty out of the box to say that we know more than the guys who engineered this product and spent all this time and money testing it. I do understand why some people do what they do, but I strongly disagree with recommending that someone else do it.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »
>>Yes some people do it all the time,and get away with it. <<

Yea, until they don't. Mark and I talked about this last weekend. Even when you do everything right, you can have problems. I had clear go wonky on me last weekend and it was mostly because I didn't take the temp in the shop into account.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here