News:

• May 01, 2024, 08:13:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Mo Best" fusalage under construction/with bashed wing  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
"Mo Best" fusalage under construction/with bashed wing
« on: August 14, 2007, 07:39:09 PM »
With myTyphoon being silkspanned and C/F'd I got antsy to build something. Sooo I looked in my files and found Larry Cunningham's dirrections for a proposed Laser cut Mo Best. I'm using the plans that are available for the Omega and just altered sizes of wood to match the dirrections for the proposed kit.

The fusalage is 3/8" thick with the engine mounts turned and extending to the leading edge of the wing forming the front of the wing saddle. The front doublers are 3/32" 5ply plywood. The rear of the fusalage is framed with 3/8" X 1/4" stick and 3/8" tail bulsa. From the front doublers back is sheeted with 1/64" ply with geodesic framing inside.

The tank cut out works out great with the RSM profile tanks as there plumming is all on the V of the tank.

With the tail wheel wire and the inboard sheeting to go on yet it looks like it will weight about 7-7 1/2 oz. This is a very sturdy fusalage and straight. I'll start the wing when I get the ribs from the laser cutter, but his wing construction is way to complicated to try to duplicate so I'll just use normal methods.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 02:58:29 PM by Leester »
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: "Mo Best" fusalage under construction
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 08:50:19 AM »
Leester,

Nice work. Certainly rigid enough.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 05:23:22 PM »
Thanks Randy

I finnaly got around to mounting the tail wheel wire. I just routed out a channel for the wire to set in with my Dremel and used thick c/a. If and when it ever cures I'll fill with Epoxolite and when it cures sand smooth and put on the the other sheeting. All per Larry's dirrections.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 06:51:37 PM »
Man I need to get off my butt and get the newer versions of this ship
documented.. Apologies, everyone. Lee, I just emailed you some info
about the ARF version..

BTW, your workmanship is outstanding, Lee.

L.

"Each of us has a spark of life inside us, and our highest endeavor ought to be to set
off that spark in one another. -- Kenny Ausubel
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 07:26:24 PM »
Thanks Larry, I received the information and as I said the new version is OUTSTANDING. The MoBest ARF will knock there socks off.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 09:30:36 PM »
Leester -  beautiful work H^^
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline newell follett

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 07:05:08 AM »

=yellow][/color]

Larry
When will the MoBest ARF be ready?
Regards, Newell

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 04:11:58 PM »
The tail wheel wire is installed and the side sheeted. I made the tail weight hatch and it's ready. With more sanding and shaping yet to do the fusalage minus canopy is right at 7 1/2 oz. The bad news for me is my straight fusalage now has a bend toward the inboard side. I don't know what I did wrong but I'll try to get it out.  HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 01:17:17 PM »
The bend in the fusalage is coming out so hopefully it stays out. I've added the canopy, fin and rudder and trimmed up the outsides. Next is adding the nose tripler and nose ring after I drill the engine mounting holes. I will be using an LAS 46 (natural case). After that the fun of shaping all the edges, but rain is predicted for the whole week.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 03:41:02 PM »
Engine holes drilled, engine mounted and nose ring cut out and put on. If I have enough time I'll do the tripler tonite.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 04:35:33 PM »
I sure like that. Larry did a good job with the aesthetics on this plane.

You have a paint scheme planed out?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 05:14:50 PM »
Randy, Yes Larry did a very good job on this, it's a real looker. As far as painting, I'm still bouncing ideas around in that empty space between my ears. Nothing concrete yet.

Don't know why I didn't think of this before. I'm sure there are some that don't know what the "MoBest" looks like. Anybody have pics of there own feel free to add them.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 06:11:02 PM by Leester »
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
When? Good question.. Bear with me.
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 09:40:19 PM »
Larry
When will the MoBest ARF be ready?
Regards, Newell

Newell,

Actually we had a Brodak kit design ready in 2004. The prototypes convinced us that the laminated
spar construction, while clever and nicely cut by laser, were difficult to build straight. In consideration
of the builder, we decided to redesign that.

Many things were going on in my life, I was getting surgery to amputate toes, trying to recover. When
I talked to John again, he said what he really would like was an ARC/ARF version, and he sent me a sample
kit of the Cardinal. I really was impressed by it, and decided to redo the design, copying most of the ideas
it actually used. By now we are in 2006, with all sorts of stuff going on, retirement, CLW work, etc. and
finally getting sepsis blood poisoning to spent virtually an entire month in the hospital recovering and getting
ankle fusion surgery. After that I was home, on IV antibiotics twice a day for another 10 weeks, then almost
3 months to get the "fixator" titanium horseshow and bolt structure, then back to the casts where I am now.

When I talked to John again, he patiently said not to worry, but he really would like a full fuselage version.
So, I decided to combine the Mo'Best ARC/ARF and Mo'Beast full fuselage designs, to share various common
parts, etc..

Next I'm distracted a bit, working on the Sawyer Playboy design, and now on the Sawyer Continental, and
I've got at least 5 CAD irons in the fire. Next (three weeks ago), my old boss calls me and sez: "let's make
some dough", so I've spent the bulk of that time working on proposals for consulting work (which didn't
pan out).

Now I'm back on the Conti CAD, multitasking a bit with Mo' designs..
I need to get my arse in gear and empty my CAD queue!

(Yes, that was just a 3 year whine/excuse trail explaining why I don't have
the Mo'Best ARC/ARF CAD design work quite done.)

I beg your indulgences awhile longer. Please contact me directly by email
to hear my latest sob story and excuse.. ;-(

Just don't give up on me.

L.

"Spend sufficient time confirming the need and the need will disappear." -Ed's Fifth Rule of Procrastination
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 05:37:37 PM »
I've got the Tripler on, trimmed but not shaped. I rounded canopy and fusalage bottom. Tomarrow I'll get the tripler shaped unless we have good flying weather (ha ha).
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 04:56:56 PM »
The nose shapeing is comng along, I think I'm pretty close.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 11:10:39 PM »
Leester...Regarding the paint scheme for your Mo'Best, I think Larry's black and yellow one is striking. I'd suggest copying his graphics (all straight tape lines, how hard can that be?) and change colors to suit yourself. Maybe use the colors from your favorite football team, etc.? I think what makes it so kewl is the large dark areas and small warm/brighter trim. Those are my thoughts, anyway. Make sure you post pictures when you git 'er done!

I hope you like it, and that warped fuselage works out ok. What kind of glue did you use to put the fuselage together? Aliphatic is known to be a mistake for this purpose, causing the problem you have.   :X Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 06:37:47 PM »
Steve: I found out about Aliphatic resin the hard way (not on this one), I used c/a and epoxy. I have the warp under control for now.

I like the idea of a simple layout on the paint job, they seem to look the best to me. It'll give me something to daydream about at work, ah I mean on breaks of course.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 07:34:56 AM »
Lee, that's some sweet looking woodwork!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: "Mo Best" fusalage under construction/with bashed wing
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 03:07:13 PM »
If you saw Larry's post on the main forum under MoBest plans, he stated the plans had an error in the root rib. Not one to waist ribs, I respaced and made the wing 55". With advise from the forum I'm also resizing the stab. & elevator approx. 5.25 % as the wing. I should have them ready shortly. I'm in the process of working up the flaps. Wing tips are all hollowed with adj lead out and weight box installed, with gear but not flaps the wing is 10 1/4 oz. I'm leaning toward Ultrakote on the wings and stab.,elevator,flaps and painting the fusalage.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 10:55:35 PM »
Looks good. Have fun.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2007, 11:25:51 PM »
The flaps are made and the fairings fitted for the control horn clearance. I'll do the elevators Sunday.
Leester
ama 830538

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here