News:

• May 03, 2024, 05:56:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Engineered wood" for motor mounts.  (Read 12349 times)

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
"Engineered wood" for motor mounts.
« on: July 25, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
Hi Guys,
I am in the process of creating an engine crutch for a classic plane using 1/2" by 3/8" maple but the problem is trying to find straight, parallel and square wood to make it out of. I have a fair sized stock on hand and I have even raided local hobby shops to check their stocks but no joy.
I have cut down oversize stock till it was straight and true but within a day
tension in the wood grain got released by my trimming it down and I ended up with a correctly sized but bowed piece.
My question, has anyone tried to create "engineered wood". My idea is to cut
1/8" thick lengthwise strips for the top and bottom and fill the middle with vertical grain maple, use a structural epoxy like t-88 and clamp that sucker tight. When it is dry sand it true and straight. All the different grain directions should cancel out any tendency for the piece to bow.
Some questions I have are will it be strong enough? or will the vertical grain
create some unexpected harmonics or vibrations in the airframe?
So guys have any of you tried anything like this before ? What were your results?
Without feedback I am reluctant to try this out on this airplane but I may try it on a "test-mule" in the future. 
I don't remember having this much trouble finding straight stock before. Perhaps, it is just my local problem or it could be the maple is now dried differently or whatever reason, it is still frustrating  HB~>.
Thanks for listening guys,
                                            Pat Robinson

Alan Hahn

Re: "Engineered wood" for motor mounts.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 07:52:57 PM »
Pat,
I bought some planks of hard (sugar) maple--probably over 10 years ago now--for some woodworking projects. I have used those to cut some motor blanks. It is always true that when you cut small pieces from large pieces that the small pieces can move since they are no longer constrained by being part of a larger rigid piece.
However at least in my case the pieces seem to be stay pretty straight. I know one trick (that you mentioned) is to cut oversize, and let the wood move as it wants, then square it up again. Of course you need to cut oversize "just enough", small enough so that the wood more or less moves all it is going to, but large enough to handle the movement.
One thing I have also done is to make the motor crutch, then sand it to the final flat dimension. I think the crutch structure will add some rigidity.
Also remember, wood isn't metal, so we aren't talking "thousandth's" here.
I have the same issues with those honking thick balsa square leading edges you get in kits. When is the last time that they were really square and actually straight?
Getting back to your question, engineered wood may be fine --should be more stable, just need it to be as hard as maple. HB~>

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 09:59:44 PM »
Hi Alan,
I just sized down some more maple pieces and I will see what they look like tomorrow. I wonder if your planks were well seasoned and dried well which tends to make them a little more stable and you also probably have good straight grain. Sound like you got some good stuff.  I was serious about the lack of any straight stock at hobby shops and my mail ordered stock isn't much better so I hope this isn't a quality trend in maple stock. I am going to tryout "engineered wood" in the future and see how it works. Who knows one of our vendors may end up offering engineered wood motor mounts
in the future if it proves viable. By the way, T-88 epoxy is said to be used a lot in homebuilt aircraft construction to join hardwoods together  and to join wood to metal. I know, it is not brittle like hobby shop epoxy and its bond is the strongest I have seen on hardwoods. It should hold an engineered piece together. 
Alan, Thanks for your input on working with hardwood.

Pat Robinson

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 11:53:35 PM »
 Where does one get T-88 epoxy?

Walter
walter menges

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 07:19:29 AM »
Walter,
T-88 is a product of System Three Co.. I bought mine at a woodworking shop but it is available at Nelson Hobby Products, Aircraft Spruce Co. and any boat shop that sells System Three products.
30 Years ago In an old model book in my local library I saw a picture of a crutch for a speed ship before speed pans were available. The idea clicked so I used maple to cross brace my motor rails and drilled it  and inserted a 3/32" music wire through each cross brace into each rail. Cut of excess wire and you end up with a solid crutch that ended all my front end and vibration problems. Every airplane including profiles got this crutch. Over a decade later I saw Windy using cross grain balsa in a crutch assembly which I thought was interesting but I stayed with my method. 
The point of all this is I always check a crutch by grabbing each end and twisting it hard. If it doesn't bend then I don't have problems and the music wire is to insure that the cross members glue joint doesn't break in shear load which brittle hobby shop epoxy has done during tests years ago.
Now to my main point, the T-88  glue joint is as strong without the music wire as the other glue and music wire. I twisted the heck out of that crutch and it held up just fine using a simple butt joint and T-88. I was impressed.
So Walter you can check for local sources or just order it from Nelsons and etc.  Hope this helps.
                                                                          Pat Robinson

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 08:58:31 AM »
How come no one has started making aluminum motor mounts out of 1/2 X 3/8.  Or even magnesium metal.  When I was trying F2C we used metal motor mounts in our planes.  It glued very well to the wood or fiber glass we were using at the time.  Also the metal was easily shaped with a Dremel.  I do not have a good cutting machine to cut the peices out of sheet metal.  But, I would pay for a good metal peice of 3/8 X 1/2 about 10 inches long if I could get it nice and square.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 09:36:22 AM »
I'm not a fan of metal motor mounts. I had a (dare I say it?) RC airplane with an OS .40 mounted on a radial aluminum mount. There was a constant drumming in the airframe at most engine speeds. I switched to a glass filled mount and the noise was greatly reduced. My guess is that the "softer" mount provides some damping of the oscillations while a hard mount transmitted it to the airframe. Could be other reasons for the change but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 11:43:25 AM »
Maybe we should ask "Smiling Bob"!  H^^
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 12:41:30 PM »
Pat,

Hmmm. I've never tried it the way you describe, but I have made my own glue-lam beams for engine mounts. I used 1/16" sheet maple (aquired at the local building supply place, I think 6" x 24") and lamminated them to make 3/8" x 1/2" and 1/2" x 1/2" mounts without problems. No bow and they are easy to machine square and stay that way. I generally cut the sheet into 3/8" long strips and stacked them up with epoxy then clamped them in a jig I made for that purpose. Haven't had a problem yet.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 02:53:31 PM »
Hi Guys,
Thanks to everyone for your input.  the two pieces I trued and sized last night now have a 1/16"bow and a 3/32" bow respectively. This is getting
very frustrating. Randy, I hadn't thought about doing  a laminate your way mostly because I haven't found a source of thin maple. What was the thin wood intended for at the building supply? Was it a veneer? I wanted to know
because it might help me to track down something similar locally. Your way sounds like it might be easier than mine. I am done messing with this crutch till I find something that will work. The local big box home stores dont have any wood like that,which I have seen, so off to the woodworking shops I will go.
I am suprised someone hasn't tried  a carbon/kevlar laminate motor mount filled with vertical grain balsa or spruce - maybe they did try it and we didn't hear about because it didn't work out too well.Sorry, I am digressing.

Like I said in my original post this lack of straight maple may just be a local problem for me and all my local hobby shops and my mail order supplier or it could be a more widespread problem I don't know.

If this were a softer wood I would be tempted to take a page from the Woodwright tv show and use hot water and steam to bend the wood straight.

Thanks everyone for your input and ideas.
                                                              Pat Robinson

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 03:43:36 PM »
Pat,
actuallly I know that Randy Powell has created a carbon composite engine crutch. Not sure but based on some of the things I read, he wasnt totally satisfied with the outcome, though as i remember the issues were never actually accredited to the crutch assembly. perhaps he will chime in here or can refer to the thread that it was discussed in.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 04:12:47 PM »
Yea, I 've tried laying up both CF and CF/Kevlar mounts. Both just beams and complete mounts. I've yet to get an engine to run with this setup. I suspect it delivers too much vibration to the tank and foams the fuel. I've tried isolating the tank with some success, but decided it wasn't worth the effort.

I got the wood at Lowe's. They have a rack of poplar, maple and various other hardwoods in thin dimensions. I imagine 1/8" would work fine too.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 05:49:39 PM »
Pat,

I know this isn't a direct answer to your question but thought it might be useful for you and perhaps some thers that read it.

I always keep my eye peel for cast off furniture.  People sometimes throw it away just because the finish is marred or just a portion of it is broken.  The wood is usually aged enough to be stable and the cost is right.  Just one drawer is enough for a pretty good supply of motor mounts.  If you are fortunate enough to find "rock" maple fine, but other hardwoods work well also.   White oak, birch, alder and hickory come to mind as pretty good substitutes.

AP^
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 06:11:58 PM »
Hi Mark and Randy,
I found Randys composite motor mount experiment interesting, especially when untold thousands of nylon plastic motor mounts have been used in
airplanes over the years and that includes some stunt planes. It seems to contrast the suitability of different materials for different applications.

For the sake of a daydream ( of a guy needing a straight crutch) imagine if one of the motor mount mfgs. producing a crutch in a few sizes made out of the same material as current motor mounts with molded in cross pieces in front just behind the engine and one at the rear. you could could mold in a u-channel in the tank area rails and cross braces to reduce weight. Okay, back to reality this ain't going to happen.

Randy, my local Lowes must be inferior to yours. It only has red oak, poplar and pine and the smallest thickness is 1/4". They don't have maple at all.
Well, my hunt continues.  

Tom, I was just finishing up a reply when I saw your post. Thanks for your suggestion.  I have tried red oak in the past and found it a little to brittle and too subject to splitting to use for motor mounts but I haven't tried the woods you listed.  Does any other guys out there have any experience using hardwoods other than maple for motor mounts?
Once again, thanks to everyone for your ideas and input.
                                                                                Pat Robinson

Pat Robinson

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 12:35:03 AM »
Pat,

Red oak is too porous to work well as it will fuel soak and loose strength too easily.  Thats why it white oak is used to make barrels to contain liquid.   :D

What you need is any high density wood that is not so porous it will fuel soak easily.  sugar maple or rock maple fills the bill and is not really a rare or exotic wood.  I have built a lot of models manufactured in the far east where the mounts were made from hard woods that were unidentifilable by me but worked well.

A problem I see with the built up or composit mounts is 1 a lot of work and 2 the glue makes them heavy.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 08:28:20 AM »
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the information. I have not even thought about how porous the  wood is but I always cover my mounts in epoxy finishing resin and 1/2 oz cloth anyway. However it is a good point to consider.
I was looking online and found some interesting facts on a website called "woodfinder.com" :  1. It said that rock maple/sugar maple has "poor
                                          durability". I'm not sure of the criteria used.

2. "Experiences high in-use movement with changes in humidity." I live in the humid southeast and my shop is in a basement so I have high humidity which may explain why I am having such grief with bowing stock. Rock maple is the only wood of the dozen or so I checked out that had this particular characteristic listed about it.  It sounds like I should seal all my maple stock in epoxy as soon as I get it home.  I don't know if this is an answer to my problem but it is something to think about.

Tom, I am not sure that a glue-lam piece like Randy uses would be all that much heavier. You would use very little epoxy & scrape off the excess like when doing a foam wing and when you put it in a press. ( which I am going to have to make ) additional epoxy will be squeezed out and wiped away.
At this point I would trade wood stability for a few tenths of an ounce in weight. A glue-lam piece can be a smaller demension and have the same strength as a larger regular wood piece so you could fabricate a 3/8th" x 7/16th" stock rails & instead of milling away wood to flush mount aluminum motor pads you could add 1/16" ply or cross grain balsa/glass in the tank area to produce the same flush and level result.
Anyway, I won't know untill I try it out. Maybe Randy will weigh in on the comparative weight of his glue-lam pieces.
I went online to Lowes and was told 1/16th" maple was not available at my location - Duh! - but I could go to the local store and order it. I also found a ship model supplier called "Double O Laser services" that sells 1/16" maple.

Guys once again thanks for all the input.  I will be away most of the weekend but I will check-in on Sunday night.
                                                                Pat Robinson

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 09:03:39 AM »
Very interesting thread. I was fortunate to obtain some #1 select maple flooring that had been bought for a gym floor some 30 years ago and the excess was kept in dry storage. It is T&G  2 1/4 x 1 1/16. An excellent source would be old gym flooring from a demolished building. It would be well cured. The problem with buying lumber like at Lowe's is that it may not have been dryer properly and is of course subject to warping. I use Lowe's only as an example. I have never bought any hardwood there. I have found that hard maple and birch make the best motor mounts. My preference is maple. The coarser grain woods such as oak, ash, or hickory don't seen to work as well due to the fact that motor mounts are relatively small. If I was going to make LVL (laminate veneer lumber) I would consider using 1/8 inch plywood to laminate it. If you want to use 1/16th solid it could be ripped from larger stock with a commercial grade table saw. With a heavy saw and a sharp blade you can even rip pieces thinner than 1/16. Here are a couple of pictures of crutches that I have made. One was for an ARF Flite streak with a hollow fuselage that kept breaking at the front of the wing. You can see that the crutch extends past the leading edge of the wing. The holes are drilled to lighten it. The other picture is for a scratch built Ringmaster. I actually saved a little weight by using a crutch and changing the doublers from 1/8 to 1/16. The hardwood dowels are for landing gear bolts. The mounts are cut out roughly to shape and size with a saw/s and the final shape is cut with a mill/drill and a router bit. The last operation is to mill them down to thickness.

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 10:37:02 AM »
Hi Keith,
Thanks for your information. It is obvious that their are some  knowledgable woodworkers on this forum and I appreciate all of you sharing your wood savvy with the rest of us.  I hope all the readers of this thread have learned as much as I have. You guys have given me something to think about.
Keith, unfortunately I don't have access to a precision table saw so I am not in a position to create the pieces you describe.
As a quick review:
1. Aged wood is more stable - look for tossed furniture or salvage wood
2. Glue-lam pieces do work. / maybe use 1/8" ply to create.
3. Rock maple moves with humidity- (seal it from air and humidity?)
4. Birch is a workable substitute for maple but not preferred.
5. Maple is less porous than some other hardwoods less oil soaking issues.
6. White oak , alder and hickory are some more substitute wood choices.

By the way Keith, that is some outstanding wood work you did on those crutches! - Very Slick!
 This has turned into a very good thread thanks to all you guys.I am just the frustrated guy with a problem who started it all. I will be back online on Sunday and look forward to see what other thoughts ya'll have come up with.

Till Next time,
                                                              Pat Robinson

Alan Hahn

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 11:22:24 AM »
Looking at that maple front end reminded me of my Goldberg Shoestring that I put together for Fox Racing. I more or less made a solid crutch out of a single piece of maple (same maple I was refering to above). I thought that would really toughen up that front end. y1

Well first time I ran that plane with a screaming Fox35 and an APC9-6 prop, what a vibrating disaster! I had a glove on my hand that I was using for flipping the prop. As the plane was running, I was holding the wingtip with that gloved hand. I could feel my fingers getting warm! The friction from the vibration was actually heating my gloved fingers. When I flew the plane, I could see standing waves along the control lines. Finally in a flight or two later, the down leadout wire was cut through by the Fox Bellcrank (look ma, no bushings!) and the plane went into tight loop mode. Fortunately I was able to pancake it into the ground without too much damage.

I tried several things which worked some, but finally gave up.  HB~>

Decided that the balsa in a front end does a lot of good soaking up the engine vibration--like a shock absorber. That maple apparently was ringing like a bell. I couldn't ever get that plane to fly worth a damn --even with a LA25 for stunting. It was better, but still too much vibration. Learned a couple of things from that "world-beater" concept. :!

Steve Kientz

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 12:42:07 PM »
I have found Birch plywood at some craft stores,all the way down to 1/32" thickness.Could these be laminated to make mounts? I happened upon a maple bench from a changing room at my place of work. They were going to toss it but, I ended up with it. 8 feet long and 10-12" wide,plenty of mounts there.Pat if you need some maple I could UPS you some. Just send me your address in a message.

Steve

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 04:17:55 PM »
Pat,

Using a radial sort of CF mount works fine, largely because it is mounted to a firewall and the vibration is insulated from the tank. The ones I made (both just beams and a complete crutch) had the disadvantate, looked at with 20/20 hindsight, of have the tank sitting not just right on them, but bolted to them. When I changed to a clunk tank and used some soft foam rubber to isolate it from contact with the mounts, the problem mostly went away, though I wasn't very happy with the ability of the CF to transmit vibration to the air frame. Wood mounts give you a certain amount of dampening that the CF just passes along. Probably not a big deal if the structure is solid, but they didn't make me particularly happy. You're milage may vary.

I started building laminted "glu-lam" mounts with a removable, aluminum insets. The engine bolts to the aluminum and the aluminum in turn bolts to the maple. Allows for easy engine changes and certainly does a good job of dampening vibration. Works for me.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 05:20:28 PM »
hey pat maybe its the humidity in your area that is the proplem?
I'm not sure where you are from but i am in northern california and due to a recent large wood project i have a very good supply of hard maple scraps and a planer and i can easilly cut you some straight pieces .
let me know where you are and pay the shipping and i will see if i can help you out
Dave jr.
and yes a model will fit inside!

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 05:25:10 PM »
oops the other picture didn't attatch
Dave jr.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 06:28:06 PM »
Hi Dave:

Does that Ford turn tighter one way than the other, or are the loops the same?

Is there anything you are NOT building one of?

See you at the ARF-off at Woodland?

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 08:45:37 PM »
Hi MIke
well when it was a pickup with the 429 ford under (sort of) the hood it looped about the same left and right.
but now it has an injected 5.0 ford, but i suspect it will loop decently enough either way
i may show up latter at the arf off but since i dont have a Arf to Off i wont be flying.
i tried to figure a way around the non builder of the model rule but havent figured out a clause yet
Dave jr

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 09:17:09 PM »
Dave, Dave, Dave! You get EXTRA points for flying a BORROWED ARF!! You are thus better off NOT to have your own. Would you like to fly my ARC Vector? I will be flying my Score in the event as I am not comfortable enough with the ARF Smoothie I flew for the first time today. And I am serious about the Vector since I know you can fly it better than I can.

A 429 in that old rod? That's why there's no paint on it any more...it blew off!

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 09:47:36 PM »
Thanks for the offer mike but my daughter is in town this weekend so i wont be able to go (sigh)
i might be able to stop by breifly in the afternoon but wont have time to fly
the car was black primer when it was a pickup a few years ago . it had that rat rod look. we built it in a few months so my son could drive it to high school part of his senior year. chopped big block model A, yeah thats cool. too bad i could hardly fit in it to drive it though. hence the sedan body now.
when its done i hope to use it to go flying so you will probably see it at field
have fun at the contest
Dave jr.

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 10:06:49 PM »
I thought maybe i was the only one that got that.
Thanks Ty i was beggining to worry
Dave jr.

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2007, 10:54:41 PM »
WOW Guys! 
You all have done a great job on this thread while I have been away and thanks for all your input and also thanks for the kind offer of help of wood
so I can finally build this freaking crutch. Thank you very much and I believe I will contact one of you gentlemen.  I never gave motor mount stock much thought over the years but thrust alignment is one of the three most critical alignments on a stunt plane so bowing mounts are a serious no-no so I am paying big attention, now.  I think this thread which is filled with insightful experiences and information is exactly the reason that Sparky created this forum. In the future, I am going to store maple in a low humidity part of the house and do all crutch work in low humidity area and seal every mount in epoxy to seal out humidity as quick as I do any work on it because I live in the humid southeast.Will it help?- We'll see.  I am also going to try a glue-lam mount structure in the near future. 

Once again I want to thank everyone for your participation, your ideas and your help.  You all deserve a "Well Done!"- "Kudos" and Thanks!

Pat Robinson

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 07:28:38 PM »
Has anyone tried phenolic mounts?  To soft, to hard, to hard to epoxy?  Just a thought, it would be easy to cut and place between plywood.  Any thoughts?  :!
Lee TGD 
AMA791773CD

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2007, 10:13:26 PM »
Hi Lee,
Hum, I haven't thought of phenolic as a material for mounts. I vaguely remember seeing a reference to using phenolic as a replacement for aluminum as engine mount pads. Lee, let me see if I am clear are you suggesting that you glue-lam a combination of plywood and phenolic
to make a mount. If I was going to use any plywood in a glue-lam I think I would glue in aluminum or brass tubes and run engine bolt in them. This prevents compressing the mount. Interesting idea, Lee, maybe someone will have some input to your questions.

Guys, I was wondering if I could test different materials for vibrations and harmonics by building a crossed brace crutch and the clamp it to a wooden structure at the rear of the crutch run an engine on the crutch and measure the vibration using a "Vibra-tach" or some other device? It would be nice to have some emprical testing on different materials to see how they work.
You guys, have any ideas as to how to structure such an experiment in order for it to yeild valid data? I would love your input. Interesting stuff!

Pat Robinson

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 12:27:30 PM »
Pat, I am thinking about a piece of phenolic 1/2" thick shaped much like a "H" laying on its side with a cross piece on the back end. Of course I would still use ply on the outsides. I may try it on my next venture. I would mill it out so that its one piece. Any pros or cons on this?
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 09:09:26 PM »
Hi Lee,
I held off answering in hopes that others might respond to your question but
I am not sure is anyone has tried phenolic as motor mount material before.

Questions about an "untried material" that I would have if I were you:

1. Is phenolic tough enough and non-brittle enough to hold up to the stresses created by a running engine. Build a crutch and do extensive test on the crutch clamped to a test stand at the rear of the crutch to insure it will hold up.
2. Would phenolic material amplify and transmit engine created vibrations and harmonics to the airframe more than maple material. You could build  maple and phenolic crutches of the same design and & and then clamp them & test them to find out.

Lee, one question I have abou the crutch you designed. If you only have a cross member at the rear what is stabilizing the front of the crutch?
On my crutches I use a cross member of 1/4"x 1/2"  behind the engine
where the front plywood former goes and another cross member at the rear
located so the rear ply former can glue to it. Other people use cross grain balsa behind the engine to the rear former location to stabilize the crutch.
Before the common use of the crutch in stunters the only thing holding the motor mounts to the plane were the 4 little 1/8" wide glue joints to the front and rear ply formers and this caused problems of failed structures and bad motor runs - well they did for me. I won't speak for everybody else.
That is why I started using a crutch 30 years ago and never looked back.

Anyway, getting back to your design I would cut another cross piece at the front to stabilize the front of the crutch because that is where twisting and vibration forces are applied to the crutch by the engine and the front cross piece helps damp those forces. 
Because you are cutting the crutch out of a single piece of material I would radius all the corners of your cuts in order reduce the chance of creating a stress riser that could lead to a crack or split in your crutch.

Is this crutch heavier than a maple crutch or is it comparable?

In order to deaden & reduce vibration in the open area between cross pieces located under the tank area I glue blue foam capped with 1/16" balsa coated with epoxy & 1/2 oz  fiberglass. This reduces tank foaming problems.

Lee, those are my reccomendations. You are delving into an untested area so you are just going to have to try it and see. Interesting idea- let us know how it works out.

Best of luck,
                                                         Pat Robinson

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 09:09:02 PM »
 Pat, I suppose I will just have to give it a test, like you said.  I will build one solid and one with holes to change the vibes, on a test stand first.  Here is what I had in mind for the solid one. Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2007, 01:37:23 PM »
Not for nothing but what about using a thinner phonolic or glass filled sheet and
laminating aircraft ply to it, one side or both?
Perry Rose
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2007, 02:46:47 PM »
Hi Perry,
I am sure Lee will weigh in about his expected benefits from using phenolic
material.  The question a person must ask themselves before going to the trouble of creating a new process or using a new material rather than using a known solution is, "what is the expected payoff or advantage in changing?"

In my case, my expected payoff of engineering wood mount rails was to stop
problems with warped maple motor mount stock that I have since discovered is most likely caused by humidity.

You have an interesting suggestion, if the hard phenolic material transmits too much engine vibration to the airframe then perhaps laminating plywood
to the phenolic could help damp down the vibration. On the other hand ply has been known to compress causing engine misalignments. Now a glue-lam addition of cured glass/epoxy sheets ( you could do them yourself or buy them from a composites supplier) is an interesting notion.

Of course, this is all conjecture until Lee has an opportunity to inform everyone about the characteristics of phenolic as a motor mount material, and until then it's properties are unknown.

I think at some future time ( not heat stroke weather) I am going to
conduct tests on various "created" materials to see how they function as motor mounts. Given the number of folks who have read this thread there seems to be some interest in the topic.

Perry, thanks for joining in. At this point I think Lee is focusing on just a phenolic structure rather than multiple materials but he might like to weigh in
regarding your idea.

Till next time,

Pat Robinson

Steve Kientz

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2007, 05:40:46 AM »
 Has anyone tried "Delrin" as an engine mount? It is easy to machine,very stable. I'm not sure about weight or if you could laminate itwith plywood,but it is very strong. If your not familar with it, some of it's uses include:jigs for woodworking,non-wearing(slow) parts for machining.I use to make suspension parts for R/C cars out of it.

Steve

Online Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2007, 07:03:52 AM »
Is it implied that the grain of the wood is straight and running in the optimum direction? I haven't seen any mention of
grain direction in a solid wood crutch.
Perry Rose

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2007, 09:24:19 AM »
Hi Guys,

Wow! This thread just keeps on going due to the creative thinking of all you guys.
Steve, Delrin as motor mount material is a clever idea. It is hard enough to resist compression and it is pretty tough stuff. I have a sheet of it in my stockpile.  I think it would be heavier than other materials but I'm not sure.
When, trying out new materials you may find you don't need as large a piece to acheive the same strength and function so you can maintain similar weight even with a heavier material.

The biggest question I would have is is how do you bond it into a crutch and glue in blind nuts and glue it to the fuselage. Do you know what kind of glue can bond delrin to other materials? I can see some ways to bolt things together and mount blind nuts but you have to glue it to the fuselage somehow, but if that could be worked out then then is certainly a possibility.

i suppose someone could cut the whole crutch out of a larger sheet but that would probably increase cost per crutch because you would have to buy a larger sheet of delrin.  This is an interesting idea that has some details to be worked out, but that is what modelers do when presented with a problem.

Interesting idea Steve, thanks for your input. I have almost no experience working with delrin so maybe you could tell us the best way to cut and shape this material.  Good Stuff!

Hi Perry, I not exactly sure what you are asking but I will take a stab at it anyway.

Most maple motor mount stock I have bought over the years looks to be  quarter-sawn wood which yeilds a fairly straight grain over the length of the piece.  In my "ladder-shaped" crutch with a cross piece at the front and rear
the grain of the cross piece is at a right angle to the grain of the main motor mount rails with a piece of 3/32" music wire through it.

If you are asking about grain direction in a situation where someone is whacking out the whole crutch out of 1 sheet of wood then the grain direction is still down the length of the main motor mount rails.
If you do this, I would suggest you radius and smooth all corners to reduce the chance of creating a stress riser that could split the wood and I would also suggest you drill  through the center of each cross member and epoxy in a 3/32" piece of music wire through the whole crutch to provide a lot of strength against shearing motions that can cause a wood to split.

The only other crutch type I know about is the "balsa cross grained crutch".
The maple rails run lengthwise and straight grain balsa is is glued at a right angle to the rails to form the tank floor. By the way,both  this crutch style and my "ladder-style" crutch provide a very solid gluing area for the plywood formers which really creates a strong and soild front end.

Perry, I wasn't sure what you were asking about so I decided to be inclusive in my answer.  I hope, it helped. 
                                                         Pat Robinson

Steve Kientz

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2007, 03:55:49 PM »
  Delrin is machinable,although when I was using it, all I had was handtools. Surely someone reading this thread has some experience with this material,please join in.
 Rather than bonding ply to it, could the mount be bolted (inside out of sight) to the airframe. Then you could use a molded cowl over the whole assembly. This process has just passed by me as I'm still trying to build Profile fuselages that will withstand my "kamikaze" flying style.

Steve

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2007, 07:52:31 PM »
Hi Steve,
I went online and did some research on gluing delrin.  First Delrin is a Dupont brand name for acetal plastic.

What I found was a somewhat mixed feed back on gluing delrin.

1. Some folks reccomended using a etching primer to delrin before gluing it.
    Loctite prism 700 primer is an example. Other folks, said these primers
    are nasty stuff and advised against using them.
2. Some people say delrin is unglueable and others say they glue just fine
    within reasonable loads.

What  did folks agree on, at most of the sites I looked at :

1. Rough up the surface to be glued to give glue a good mechanical bond to
    grab on to.
2. Use alcohol to thoroughly clean all trace of the normal greasy coating
    from the delrin.
3. Re-enforce the glue joint with some mechanical fasteners like bolts to insure the integrity of the glue joint.

The glues that people recommended were :

1." Loctite super glue for all plastics" thats available at Home Depot for $4.00
2. "Cyanopoxy" available at Cool-Chem.com . Go to mr hobby.com for
    details on this glue stystem. It sells for $50.00 to $80.00 for complete
    kits.  This stuff is supposed to be the ultimate glue for delrin.
3. Another glue was listed when I looked up glues for delrin is at
    www.thisglueworks.com, but I didn't see a specific reference to delrin.

So Steve, delrin can be glued if you follow th 3 steps above. This works into your idea of of bolting it to the airframe. You could bolt together a crutch like my design. Then you could glue and bolt the plywood doublers to the sides of the crutch. Then you could glue and bolt the plywood formers to the cross pieces and use normal glue to join the ply formers to the ply doublers.

Steve, one thing I found was a place selling delrin cutoffs. This stuff is expensive! You could probably drop $15.00 -$20.00+, just for a crutch.
If you have an inside source for delrin good but if not then price might be a factor to be considered.

Delrin is like phenolic in the fact that it hasn't been tried out and tested as a motor mount material. ( as far as I know) Both these materials are unknowns
for this application until someone actually trys them out.

My conclusion, delrin is an unknown but it may be a viable possibility as a motor mount material. I would test it throughly on the bench before I put it in an airplane.   

It seems there are lots of possibilities for something as seemingly mundane as motor mounts.

Once again, Steve , thanks for your input.
                                                                  Pat Robinson

Steve Kientz

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2007, 02:16:12 PM »
 Pat
  I had a source years ago, but that was gone years ago. I might some as mounts in a COREHOUSE Pyscho combat plane I'm building for my father to sport fly. Typically metal mounts are used on these planes(bolted to a 3/4" center rib),so I will be able to test there strength in this application.

Steve

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2007, 08:28:01 AM »
Hi Steve,
Combat mounts are usually shorter that stunt mounts but I think a combat plane will certainly test the strength of delrin as a motor mount material.
Let us know your results
                                                            Good luck,
                                                               Pat Robinson

P.S.  Due to Dave Shirleys help by providing me with straight wood I have built a straight crutch and coated it with epoxy finishing resin to block out humidity. I only need to get the TT 36 PRO from my engine guru and I can get on with building the Playboy kit.  I would like to publiclly thank Dave Shirley for his kind help with straight wood.
This thread has been an interesting and informative process for me and I hope it has been for everyone else. If nothing else I think it proves there are a lot of clever and inventive thinking people on this forum.

If anyone has any other clever or new ideas on engine mounts then feel free to let everyone know otherwise I think this thread has run it's course.
I would like to thank everyone who has participated for your input.

Pat Robinson
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 12:48:37 PM by PatRobinson »

Online Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2007, 01:28:16 PM »
Pat, what was the moisture content of the wood you used for the crutch? Anything more than 10% needs more
drying time. Cabinet makers won't use wood unless it's below 10% moisture. Meters are available that measure
moisture in wood.
Perry Rose

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2007, 02:30:40 PM »
Delrin will be too soft and flexible for motor mounts.  At a minimum you need glass-filled, or carbonfiber-filled plastic.  The plastic mounts have to be way over sized compared to aluminum, and over-sized compared to wood to get enough stiffness.  You might try carving the mounts out of one of the larger RC adjustable mounts(Hangar 9, Tower, etc) and gluing/screwing them to the fuse sides.
phil Cartier

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2007, 05:40:12 PM »
Hi guys,
Perry, you know I have no idea what the moisture content of the wood actually is. That is an interesting idea. I was thinking of putting one of my very bowed pieces in the oven at a low temperature to see if drying it out will effect the bow or as an alternative to put a piece in a metal cooler with
the bottom filled with those moisture absorbing packages folks use in chests and closets and also put a hot light  shining from above. I might as well experiment and give it a try because this warped wood is useless otherwise.

It seems apparent that rock maple seems to be affected a lot by humidity so I am going to change how I store it and I am going to seal it with epoxy to limit the possibility of humidity warping the wood.
Perry, having a meter to measure might be a good idea for anyone who doesn't have an air-conditioned shop.  I have a dehumidifier in my basement but the humidity level is still substantial.

Hi Phil, I hope Steve Kientz is still reading this thread so he can hear your advice.  When I was searching the net for information on delrin I found a place that sold "cutoff pieces' and there was some material that was listed as fiber-filled delrin and others were listed a virgin delrin but I have no idea of the useability of either one as motor mounts. I told Steve he was getting into the unknown.  Apparently, he is going to try it out on one of your combat designs, so I guess he will either give it a try or follow your advice.

I want to thank both of you gentlemen for your informative input. It is amazing the quality of information that has been shared in this thread.
I have learned a lot and I hope everyone else has as well.

Thanks again,
                                                          Pat Robinson

Steve Kientz

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2007, 05:45:06 AM »
 Pat
  I'm still reading, I need all the info I can find. I'm going to put this mount idea away for now. Since this plane is my father's I'd like to keep any possible problems to a minimum. I have been considering a profile fuse with a built up ply mount/ doubler. Will post results once I'm done,am currently looking for work,the place I did work at closed. Have several prospects,just waiting to see where I'll end up.

Steve

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2007, 06:59:54 AM »
Hi Steve,
I think it is wise to go with a known material for your fathers plane.
Like I said from the beginning delrin is an untested and unknown material for motor mounts. I am sure Phil was giving you his best advice based on his understanding of delrin's properties but he didn't say he had tried it out to see how it works so I say that it is still an untested and untried material.

If you want to pursue testing delrin in the future do it on the test stand first, and then use in in a quick and dirty "test-mule" made from leftover pieces of other airplanes or just a simple profile or "box" fuselage built up plane and if it doesn't work you haven't lost anything you care about.

In addition, until you know how  delrin is going to hold up take extra precautions with spectator safety by moving people to a distance or behind vehicles in case something let's go.  Inovation comes from trying the unkown but it is smart to use caution while doing it.

By the way, Steve, did you see my mention of fiber-filled delrin, I didn't even think to mention it earlier but Phil's post about fiber filled plastic reminded me. You might want to try the fiber filled delrin if you choose to try this experiment in the future.  Just a thought.

Steve, I want to wish you the very best of luck in your job search, I know that it is a chore to do, but I am sure you can make it happen.

If you decide to go ahead with the experiment let us know the results.

best wishes,
                                                 Pat Robinson

Steve Kientz

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2007, 01:45:48 PM »
  I beleive my next endeavor will be engineered wood beams for a profile. I have enough balsa for a Skyray winged clone(have built one already). I plan on building a little oversized,let it cure for several days and then cut to the proper size.I'm thinking that these beams should be tied together at the nose to help with rigidity. Any thoughts?
  Also if you haven't tried bamboo skewers as dowels they work pretty good. I haven't had a joint fail where I've used them.
 Thanks for the best wishes on the job search,today seems to be were everyone starts calling,so should be gainfully employed and back crashing airplanes soon.

Steve

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2007, 02:57:57 PM »
Hi Steve,
By engineered did you mean a glue-lam made of thin strips like Randy Powell
or did you mean a different type of of structure like combining horizontal and vertical grain wood. 
You may recall that I join the motor mounts with maple cross pieces behind the engine and at the rear, like ladder rungs. I also epoxy in 3/32" music wire pieces through them. 
The advantage in a profile is even more than in a built up fuselage. No more shaky front ends and then you can use the area between the cross pieces to your advantage. Cut a slot in the inboard ply doubler the size of the opening in the crutch and you can mount the tank a little more inboard and there is room enough to adjust the tanks height.
I am not sure how much room you have on a Skyray to do this but this works great  on a Twister, Banshee, Magician type of profile. That solid crutch really did reduce vibration and twisting on the front end better than anything else I tried.  Some guys I flew with liked the idea and they started doing it too and it worked for them.
So yes I think it is a good idea to tie them together. I use the music wire just like to use bamboo skewers to resist shear load on a glue joint.

Steve, it sounds like you are on top of this job hunting thing. Way to go!  #^
                                                         Till next time,
                                                         Pat Robinson

Steve Kientz

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2007, 05:48:53 AM »
 I'm considering using ply to build up mounts. The inboard final piece would have a stringer across the very end(my nephew's Super Clown Arf has this).This plane won't be an exact clone of the Skyray,just the wing and moments. Fuselage will probably look likea '30s air racer or maybe a MiG-3(just to be different).
 1/16" ply(ganged up to1/2")then1/8" doublers back past the spar. All of this will be cross drilled and dowel pinned. I think wood as dowels are better because they absorb glue,you're not counting just on surface adhesion(like using metal).If you want to continue using metal I would look at using threaded rod and some of the newer screw holding glues.This glue is used when a screw hole has gotten worn from the screw being taken out. I've used it on some other wood projects,seems to hold up well.

Steve

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2007, 07:33:34 AM »
Hi Steve,
The reason I use music wire is because it is stronger than both the wood and the epoxy joint against the up and down shear forces created by a running engine.
I had these shear forces break the glue joint in my first crutch but since  I have been using the wire no failure and more importantly no more shaking or vibration problems because a solid crutch seems to reduce all that nonsense.

The wire is also locked in by the ply doubler so it isn't going anywhere and I have never had one come out. I doubt I could hammer one out without damaging the crutch.  I really rough up the wire with a file to give the glue something to grab onto and get a good bond.

Anyway, this setup has worked sucessfully for 30 years without any problems.
I had a friend who saw my crutch and decided to use wood screws and it worked for him. I tried it but the screws weighed more than the wire and didn't add any more strength so I went back to wire.
It is interesting you mentioned threaded rod I once got the idea to use threaded rod and to glue & bolt the crutch together. It was heavier and if anything weaker because I had to remove wood to countersink for the nuts. I had all but forgotten about that one. We tend to forget our mistakes.

Steve, as long as your dowels can hold up to the ongoing shear forces I don't see a problem. The mounts made out of a glue lam of 1/16" ply should also work fine.  Plywood will compress when you tighten engine bolts so you can  drill out holes where the engine bolts go and then drill engine mount holes through the dowels or drill out and glue in aluminum or brass tubing so the engine mounting bolts goes through the tube. These are other peoples good ideas that both work and I have used both over the years.

Steve, best of luck with your project, I hope it turns out the way yo want.
                                                                 Pat Robinson

Steve Kientz

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2007, 05:36:11 AM »
 Thanks Pat

Steve

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2007, 02:20:24 PM »
Hi Guys,
I am in the process of creating an engine crutch for a classic plane using 1/2" by 3/8" maple but the problem is trying to find straight, parallel and square wood to make it out of. I have a fair sized stock on hand and I have even raided local hobby shops to check their stocks but no joy.
I have cut down oversize stock till it was straight and true but within a day
tension in the wood grain got released by my trimming it down and I ended up with a correctly sized but bowed piece.
My question, has anyone tried to create "engineered wood". My idea is to cut
1/8" thick lengthwise strips for the top and bottom and fill the middle with vertical grain maple, use a structural epoxy like t-88 and clamp that sucker tight. When it is dry sand it true and straight. All the different grain directions should cancel out any tendency for the piece to bow.
Some questions I have are will it be strong enough? or will the vertical grain
create some unexpected harmonics or vibrations in the airframe?
So guys have any of you tried anything like this before ? What were your results?
Without feedback I am reluctant to try this out on this airplane but I may try it on a "test-mule" in the future. 
I don't remember having this much trouble finding straight stock before. Perhaps, it is just my local problem or it could be the maple is now dried differently or whatever reason, it is still frustrating  HB~>.
Thanks for listening guys,
                                            Pat Robinson

Hi Pat,

Straight maple mount are hard to find sometimes.  I’ve used the following method for building engine crutches for years on different models.  Take a typical 3/8” X ½” maple engine barer and use the ½” side maple barer against the engine.   Determine the required spacing of the engine mounts make up a 3/8” medium balsa cross-grain block that fits between the maple mounts.  Glue the maple mounts and the cross-grain balsa together with slow epoxy glue and clamp together until dry.  Then trim off the outside of the barer on a belt sander to get a very clean and straight outside edge.  Make a “C” shaped engine pad from 1/8” aluminum or carbon fiber sheet and bolt or glue to the maple mount.  This also allows for additional room in the tank compartment for tank height adjustments.  Also, you can contour the front of the crutch to match the curvature of the fuselage sides from the typical F-1 fuselage former down to the plywood nose ring for the spinner.  This makes a really solid mounting platform for the engine. 

Later,
Mikey

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2007, 04:37:29 PM »
Hi Mikey,
I think one thing has been made abundantly clear by this thread is just like there is more than one way to skin a cat there is more than one way to build a motor mount crutch. Your idea is a very clever method for a crutch.

I have a question, many guys using a 60+ size engine use 1/2" square maple
rails for their crutch, so I was wondering if you used 1/2" size maple.
You could still contour the sides as in your example you just have a little more material to handle the stresses of a bigger engine.

I remenber seeing a Windy U. tape on his version of your style crutch and He was talking about the vibration and stresses created by the Tiger 60 engine.
This leads me to ask do modern 60+ PA / RO engines vibrate and stress a motor crutch as much as a the ST 60.  I just wondered if the new engines  needed the added strength of 1/2 square maple stock to the same degree as the ST 60.

Mikey, I appreciate you sharing your interesting crutch design.
                                                              Thank You,
                                                              Pat Robinson 

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2007, 09:33:48 PM »
Maybe we should ask "Smiling Bob"!  H^^

You know, I've heard that after taking that stuff awhile, just whilsting a couple of bars
of Smiling Bob's song will automatically cause the wife/girlfriend to head for the bedroom..

(Sorry, like the Vonage song, I'd like to inflict a slow and painful death on the composer
of Smiling Bob's song..)

Please, please, please. Do not invoke any more of these earwigs, Dick! ;->

L.

"Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather
straps." -Emo Phillips
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2007, 08:05:02 AM »
Hi Larry,
I agree that they are relentlessly irritating commercial ditties.

Pat Robinson

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2007, 09:53:34 PM »
I don't know if anyone has tried this but I have made and sold motor mounts in the past. I buy my wood from a local vendor that stores it where moisture can get to it - not direct rain but moist air. When I cut blanks for motor mounts thay almost always form a slight curve so I just cut them just a bit larger than the finished dimension. I store them in a low humidity area for a few days and let them dry out. Then I come back and true them up to finished dimensions. It doesn't always work but most of them I am satisfied with. I do more wood working than model airplanes so I have learned how to get around problems.
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2007, 07:18:48 AM »
Hi Bill,
Ironically, I started down the path to starting this thread because the pre-assembled crutch in one of your "Playboy" kits was bowed on 2 sides.
I didn't blame you because I know it was probably straight when you finished it and I know that wood will do what it will do, so I didn't even bother calling you about it. My big problem was, when I found all my own stock of maple was bowed and all my local hobby shop maple stock was bowed as well.
This is what led me to wondering about some form of engineered wood so I don't have to put up with this aggravation. I am going to try to bring some of my wood upstairs in an air conditioned space and put my bowed pieces in the oven at a very low temperature to see if I can dry them out and salvage some useable wood from what I have.
I am also going to bug Lowes to order me some thin maple and do a Glue-Lam the way Randy Powell has done.
I am beginning to think that with rock maple it is more important use epoxy to seal the crutch against humidity than it is to seal it against fuel soaking.
I now have a crutch for the Playboy that is epoxy coated and has remained dead straight for weeks which is only awaiting the engine from the tuner
so I can drill the crutch, install blind nuts and start building the kit.

Bill, thanks for your added input and ideas. This whole thread has been a learning experience about wood for me and I hope for others. 

Pat Robinson

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2007, 02:13:02 PM »
I use a laser cut or pin routed 3/8" birch plywood for the Mo'Best ARC/ARF profile
fuselage. It is a one piece engine mount crutch. Nose doublers are 3/32"
aircraft birch plywood over 1/64" plywood fuselage skins. The outboard (motor)
side has an additional 3/32" tripler that the engine sits on.

Not counting the inboard 1/2" balsa nose tripler, the nose thickness for the engine is
3/32" + 3/32" + 1/64" + 3/8" +1/64" + 3/32" = 25/32" > 3/4".

L.

"The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts." - Paul Ehrlich

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2007, 05:56:50 PM »
Hi Larry,

Wow! That is some front end assembly. If you have followed this thread you may have seen some guys saying that a milled out one piece crutch made out of hardwood transmits too much vibration to the plane but you aren't using hardwood and your muti-layer approach should help to negate or reduce any vibration issues.  Another advantage to this method is you avoid the tendency
of a one piece hardwood crutch to split lengthwise under an engines pounding.

Two quick questions: 1. Does it give you the solid low vibration front end results it seems designed to do. 2. Is it a "lot heavier" than a conventional
profile front end. I figured I would go ahead and ask questions some guys might have for you.

Larry, this is some very clever design work on your part.  I like It!

Thanks for your excellent contribution to the thread. I think it will be useful to guys creating their own profile plane design.

Till next time ,
                                                                   Pat Robinson

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2007, 11:17:02 AM »
Thanks,

I originally used 4 laminates of laser cut 3/32 birch plywood for the motor crutch
assembly. Although this worked, there were issues of alignment and thickness of
the glue. Ultimately I realized that it should simply be cut out of quality marine or
aircraft birch plywood.

Mo'Bests have always featured a very rigid nose, which allows the "stunt run",
and that is also helped by the recessed fuel tank, which locates the tank more
centrally behind the engine (it also decreases the weight of the nose assembly).

Here are some more illustrations which might give you a better feel for the nose
construction. The 1/2" balsa inboard tripler is useful in absorbing those vibrations
people are concerned about. The ARC/ARF version uses a pair of Brodak aluminum
engine clamps, which allows a number of engines to be used without nose modifications.

L.

"The reason so little is done, is generally because so little is attempted." -Samuel Smiles

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2007, 10:15:47 PM »
A friend of mine who is a professional woodworker gave me small samples that he got at a gunstock factory. As soon as I saw it I thought that might work for motor mounts. Each ply of wood is 1/16 th inch thick. Evidently the wood is dyed before it is laminated.

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2007, 03:59:54 PM »
Hi Keith,

WOW! Psychedelic motor mounts! - who would of thunk it?
Keith, let us know what kind of wood and how it works out- interesting.
                                                         Pat Robinson

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2007, 03:06:41 PM »
Teak....try it

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2007, 02:20:32 AM »
Sorry, I did not see this thread earlier. I use phenolic plate to make motor mounts. The only trouble is proper orientation, it consists of layers and they must be perpendicular to screw holes or other machining, otherwise it separates.

The advantage is clear, it very well bonds to epoxy or other glues, it is strong, it does not soak oil, it will last far stronger compression under temperature (from engine screws) and it even allows to make threads directly in the material

Disadvantages are also clear, the worst is the weight, so I use relatively small pieces (in crossection) and I use lightening on back side of motor mount. If I remember well, the weight of both pieces was almost 2oz. It needs machining as it is relatively hard and I cannot imagine to cut it out manually.

I do not see any ill effects of its strength like aplilifying vibrations or so. It is closed in balsa sides, ribs.

The construction is visible on some pictures here:
http://www.rcmodely.sk/F2B/

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2007, 06:45:34 PM »
Hi Igor,
Thank you for posting you pictures and information on your phenolic motor mounts. Great precision work!!  I have 2 quick questions :

1. How did you mill out the channels in each motor rail ?

2. It looks like each  plywood former fills in the channel in each rail so how do you do that? Do you cut a slot in the former and the rail slides in or or do you glue in a piece as a filler?

Igor thank you very much! , I think your post will open some eyes to an alternative material and alternative design and also provide useful information on creating this type of crutch assembly. Outstanding  (PE**) CLP**  CLP**

Thanks again,
                                                         Pat Robinson

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2007, 01:37:16 AM »
Channels are milled before cutting in larger plain piece of material.

Those channels on picture are later filled by small plywood piece glued in to seal the compartment under tank floor. On another model I just filled that opening by epoxy with microbaloons.

igor

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2007, 03:11:18 PM »
Plain Delrin(acetal) is too soft and flexible for motor mounts.  If you want to try plastic try to get some glass-filled PET sheet.  PET glues nicely, and the glass fill will make it stiff enough for good mounts.  If you can't get PET, get glass-filled nylon, or cut down a set of the RC motor mounts for material. They work great.   Tower Hobbies Part LXJ771, LXJ772,or LXJ773 .  They are only $3-4, a lot cheaper than a sheet of plastic will be.  These mounts are probably a bit too flexible for stunt use.  Adding a heavy ply nose ring to stiffen them up might work.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here