News:

• May 20, 2024, 03:48:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sand Laser-Cut Parts Before Epoxy Or CA?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sand Laser-Cut Parts Before Epoxy Or CA?
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:34:47 PM »
Is it necessary to sand the edges of laser cut parts prior to gluing?  I have heard that CA won't fire on burnt edges.  Seems to me that if sanding is necessary, the accuracy of the laser cutting would be compromised.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Sand Laser-Cut Parts Before Epoxy Or CA?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:47:11 PM »
Bill,

If you have the time, please take a look at my build Thread for "The New American." Sport model with vintage lines, nothing to complicated, but still laser cut parts, glued together with CA and Epoxy.

I never tuched an edge with sandpaper.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 06:23:35 AM »
I was hoping for more of a definitive answer regarding why it does or doesn't matter. 
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:09:42 AM »
I myself have not sanded the edge of laser cut parts.   The exception is on parts that the edge might show thru a transparent covering.   It doesn't matter of it is CA, epoxy or regular SIG glue.   Even white glue works. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 09:21:07 AM »
I was hoping for more of a definitive answer regarding why it does or doesn't matter. 

Well Dick,

I'm not a Chemist, I gave you what I know. Did the best I could.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:52:15 AM »
Well, I just got off the phone with Bob Smith Industries and was told that the only thing to sand off is the "tic" marks left by the start/stop of the laser.  Unless it is a cosmetic issue where a joint will show, the charred edges do not present an adhesion problem using CA.
AMA 62221

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:49:54 AM »
Well, I just got off the phone with Bob Smith Industries and was told that the only thing to sand off is the "tic" marks left by the start/stop of the laser.  Unless it is a cosmetic issue where a joint will show, the charred edges do not present an adhesion problem using CA.

Dick,

That "tic" mark is actually made with an eraser tool in the software. The software tool erases the vector line. Laser only cuts on vector lines.

Without that "tic" all the parts would fall out of the sheets.

Are you new to building or just new to working with laser cut parts?

What are you building?

Charles

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »
I have found that parts that are "extremely" black and smooth dont really accept glues - mostly the charred areas are harder area of the balsa where the heat builds up during cutting

seeing as you have to sand the tabs "ticks" off the parts anyway - it doest take much to give the rest a light sand.

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 01:47:39 PM »
Dick,

Are you new to building or just new to working with laser cut parts?

What are you building?

Charles

Coming back after retiring in 1975.  Not building yet but have spent a couple of years stockpiling an arsenal of kits, engines, accessories, tools and plans.  I have never built a laser cut kit and quit building any kits around 1971.  My last 3 planes were my design built from scratch.  My mini-mill is on its way.  That will be the last machine I buy for a while.  I have run out of room and may have to sell my drill press to make room for the mill.

I have a P40 ARF almost airworthy again.  Stuffed it in late last summer.
AMA 62221

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 02:27:07 PM »
Coming back after retiring in 1975.  Not building yet but have spent a couple of years stockpiling an arsenal of kits, engines, accessories, tools and plans.  I have never built a laser cut kit and quit building any kits around 1971.  My last 3 planes were my design built from scratch.  My mini-mill is on its way.  That will be the last machine I buy for a while.  I have run out of room and may have to sell my drill press to make room for the mill.
I have a P40 ARF almost airworthy again.  Stuffed it in late last summer.

Dick,

Welcome back to model building and CL!

You don't need all those kits, just PM me a list and we'll do something about that.   n~

Just kidding.

Charles

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 03:19:17 PM »
I have been poking around here since August of 2009.  I am truly amazed at the changes in our hobby.  The materials, powerplants, fuel, laser cutting, cad drawings...I have had to learn a great deal. 
AMA 62221

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 03:39:14 PM »
I have been poking around here since August of 2009.  I am truly amazed at the changes in our hobby.  The materials, powerplants, fuel, laser cutting, cad drawings...I have had to learn a great deal. 

Dick,

I'm still learning.   n~

Kit list? You can PM it. Wink, wink!

Charles

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »
Stilleto 660  Walter Umland
Stiletto Profile  Walter Umland
Gieseke Nobler Top Flite
Gieske Nobler Component Kit UHP
Brodak Nobler
Brodak Blue Angel
Brodak Bearcat
Brodak Pathfinder Profile
Pathfinder RSM
Twister Sig
Buccaneer Profile Mike Griffin
Coyote Walter Umland
F4 Phantom RSM on order
Primary Force kits 2 custom cut

There are a few more that I can't remember.  I have about a dozen engines or so, from OS 35's to EVO 60.

Years ago, when I was young and raising 4 kids, I couldn't afford more than one airplane and one engine at a time.  A gallon of fuel or a gallon of dope was a real sacrifice.  I remember many contests that I attended, spending part of the house payment to buy gas to travel.  Eventually,  I kept at it enough to get fairly good.  I amassed about 24 trophies.  My first NATS as a competitor in 1973 I qualified and ended up in 18th place, which was last, but it was still on the board.  I also had one of my designs published in Flying Models Magazine in the January '73 issue.

AMA 62221

Offline RDJeff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 05:05:25 PM »
I'm new to laser cut kits, and figured the dark stuff on the parts was charcoal and wouldn't take glue well, so I've always lightly sanded it off.  I don't know if makes any difference, but that's what I reasoned.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »
Dick,

Interesting list!!

How will you decide which one to build first?

If you just want to get in the air, here's my guess, Sig Twister.

How did I do?

Charles

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »
Dick,

Interesting list!!

How will you decide which one to build first?

If you just want to get in the air, here's my guess, Sig Twister.

How did I do?

Charles

Probably, but it will be Fancherised.  I have the plans and the article plus the stock kit, but will probably buy one from Walter.  His stuff is soooo nice!

I will use the P40 ARF to get the cobwebs out then move on to the profile kits.  The pricier planes like the Stiletto and the big Pathfinder I will save for last.

BTW, that attachment I posted is a copy of the first PAMPA newsletter.  I was one of the charter members when it was formed at the NATS.  The original name was PAPA but the M for model was added to avoid confusion with airline pilots and big planes.
AMA 62221

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 07:05:12 PM »
Dick,

Great! And Wow!

There's a Stilleto profile build. Have you seen it?

The Stilleto is a nice looking model!!

Charles

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 07:29:55 PM »
Charles, you realize the Stilleto in his list is a completely different model than the Stilleto speed ship you were on about before,, dont you?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 08:23:28 PM »
Charles, you realize the Stilleto in his list is a completely different model than the Stilleto speed ship you were on about before,, dont you?

Mark,

I'm referring to the profile Stilleto Alan did a Build Thread on some months back. I actually did the lettering.

Not that speed thing. There is no kit of that.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here