News:

• April 25, 2024, 12:37:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Winky Chatfield  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Winky Chatfield
« on: November 06, 2006, 06:04:53 PM »
Shultzie,

Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of the one guy I would post as "my Stunt Grunt".  He never won a contest (that I know of) and no one else would know his name!  But......

The gentleman was Winky Chatfield.  He was my best friend's Dad.  When I first moved to town in 1963, he was flying with his two sons at the local ball field about 1/4 mile from my house.  I heard the engines and ran up there to see what was going on!  I had actually flown a C/L plane before but not well.  He had a few planes including a Stuntwagon with a McCoy .60!  He also had the prettiest Cosmic Wind I have ever seen.  It was just a lowly Goldberg Profile with a Red Head 35 but it had what would be a front row finish.  (he was a professional painter)  That's when  I met the "family", and they became my second family!  He taught me to actually FLY.  All aspects of flying, and he was a good teacher who you learned quickly from.  He could fly the pattern well, and he also flew speed and combat.

I am building a Cosmic Wind right now in memory of Mr. Winky Chatfield.  I have the McCoy 35 he used in his which my friend gave me years ago!  My friend (also "Bill") doesn't know I am building it, but I am going to make sure he is there for it's maiden flight.  It might be 44 years after the fact, but I know Billy will be overjoyed.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: Winky Chatfield
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 08:17:20 PM »
Shultzie,

Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of the one guy I would post as "my Stunt Grunt".  He never won a contest (that I know of) and no one else would know his name!  But......

The gentleman was Winky Chatfield.  He was my best friend's Dad.  When I first moved to town in 1963, he was flying with his two sons at the local ball field about 1/4 mile from my house.  I heard the engines and ran up there to see what was going on!  I had actually flown a C/L plane before but not well.  He had a few planes including a Stuntwagon with a McCoy .60!  He also had the prettiest Cosmic Wind I have ever seen.  It was just a lowly Goldberg Profile with a Red Head 35 but it had what would be a front row finish.  (he was a professional painter)  That's when  I met the "family", and they became my second family!  He taught me to actually FLY.  All aspects of flying, and he was a good teacher who you learned quickly from.  He could fly the pattern well, and he also flew speed and combat.

\

After seaching everywhere I can think of....I came up with nuttin' about Winky Chatfield.
He sounded like quite a model builder and flyer, huh?
Wish you could find some info.
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 10:39:21 AM »
HI Don,

He moved here in the early '50s or so.  He had been from NJ, I *think*.  He passed on many years ago, and he was a pretty interesting gentleman.  He learned to fly (full size planes) from building his own in an Aviation *Club*!  Got his Pilot's lisence after that.  ;D

I will get hold of his Sons and see if there is any info that I can't remember.  He never flew any contests after moving here since there were none anywhere close.

Just a few years ago, we found his old McCoy 19 that he used in A Speed buried in the sand driveway at the family's home.  How it got there, no one knew!  **)  Of course, it was just a chunk of rust and only identifiable as a McCoy 19.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 02:55:05 PM »

"Just a few years ago, we found his old McCoy 19 that he used in A Speed buried in the sand driveway at the family's home.  How it got there, no one knew!  **)  Of course, it was just a chunk of rust and only identifiable as a McCoy 19".

That sounds like one very poignant little gesture signifying the ceremonial burying of his engine? Maybe a reminder of what he used to do? Crossing his old engine every time he entered his house?

Alternatively what is the layout of the house? Could you get a circle in front of the house? Maybe he crashed right there and never found the engine!
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 09:36:39 AM »
"Just a few years ago, we found his old McCoy 19 that he used in A Speed buried in the sand driveway at the family's home.  How it got there, no one knew!  **)  Of course, it was just a chunk of rust and only identifiable as a McCoy 19".

That sounds like one very poignant little gesture signifying the ceremonial burying of his engine? Maybe a reminder of what he used to do? Crossing his old engine every time he entered his house?

Alternatively what is the layout of the house? Could you get a circle in front of the house? Maybe he crashed right there and never found the engine!

Hi Ian,

No clue as to how the engine got into the sandy driveway!  Probably it fell out of the back of the tiny Rambler 2 dr. station wagon that he parked there.  No room where the engine was found to have it crash there.  We could fly (on 52' lines) in another part of the back yard!

The sand around here has a tendency to "float" objects to ground level over the years.

Of course, IT COULD have experienced a "Viking Burial"!!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here