News:

• May 08, 2024, 09:20:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MARK FREEMAN Semiscale masta Grunt of the Day  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
MARK FREEMAN Semiscale masta Grunt of the Day
« on: October 13, 2007, 12:31:34 PM »
MARK FREEMAN
Who started building models at the early age of only 5 years old...who's love of scale model airplanes, stunt flying and admiration of the beautiful models that Al Rabe had shown all of us in those early days...
when Al would fly in on his beautiful Braniff airliners and take part in our local NW contests. Al was quite a mentor for so many of us...and in fact Al Rabe gave Mark some really great insight and suggestions (including Al new imporoved Bearcat 111 airfoil, much larger flaps, a removable wing, variable ratio flaps and elevator..and a radial engine mount, in addition to the adjustable leadouts and movable outboard wing.

Check out Marks beautiful molded balsa fus. shells.
AL RABE touched so many of our lives and that includes Mark shown here during those early days....
This beautiful Spitfire of Mark's  is but a mere glimpse of his amazing and gifted skills as His flying skill put a dent in so many local grunts deams of wins and gleaned hardware including his runaway first place win at the 1971 BMA Contest in Seattle.

(I think that this photo of Mark with his new wife and his beautiful Folk Wolfski' was around 1970 or so because I found this in an old 1971 family album.
MARK FREEMAN...WHERE THE   HELL ARE YOU TODAY?Leo...Have you seen our masta of the semi-scales round your neck of the woods lately.
Tell him to check in on our Stunt Hanger...and tell us what has been happening for the past 40 or so years????
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:00:00 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
Re: MARK FREEMAN Semiscale masta Grunt of the Day
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 05:55:25 PM »
Shultzie, I remember Mark when he was flying hid BF 109 at Delta park in the late 60's. It was a very large plane that he was flying with a super tigre 46. It didn't have enough power is what he told me but the plane did fly pretty good and he did a lot of trimming on it. Mark was and still is pretty much a loner. He did show up at the field a few years ago and he rememberd all of us that flew there, He said he lived in an apartment and really didn't have room to build anything, He lives in Portland and it was great to see him. I tried to talk him into getting back into this sport but he did'mt seem too interested at the time. I am going to see if I can get in touch with him again. He was one nice dude and Shultzie didn't get to be a big influence on his life so that is probably why(just kidding). He loved big scale planes and the spitfire is one I never saw but it looks like a beauty. Thanks for that picture. Man do you know how to push my buttons. Good going buddy.Shultzie, would you e-mail me these pictures. My new e-mail address is Mehlprtlnd@aol.com? thanks old buddy H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ HB~>

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 10:35:47 AM »
Shultzie, I remember Mark when he was flying hid BF 109 at Delta park in the late 60's. It was a very large plane that he was flying with a super tigre 46. It didn't have enough power is what he told me but the plane did fly pretty good and he did a lot of trimming on it. Mark was and still is pretty much a loner. He did show up at the field a few years ago and he rememberd all of us that flew there,
He said he lived in an apartment and really didn't have room to build anything, He lives in Portland and it was great to see him. I tried to talk him into getting back into this sport but he did'mt seem too interested at the time. I am going to see if I can get in touch with him again. He was one nice dude and Shultzie didn't get to be a big influence on his life so that is probably why(just kidding). He loved big scale planes and the spitfire is one I never saw but it looks like a beauty. Thanks for that picture. Man do you know how to push my buttons. Good going buddy.Shultzie, would you e-mail me these pictures. My new e-mail address is Mehlprtlnd@aol.com? thanks old buddy H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ HB~>
Yeh...Glad I wasn't too much of an influnce and thankfully Al Rabe was around to "rescue him from all us jet-stylers. LL~
Mark is an amazingly gifted and artistic human being. Like you....Leo, Mark loved photography and was alway seen with his camera.
The B&W was printed by our friend Gary Letsinger who also is an amazingly gifted B&W photographer and printed some really fantastical' and beautiful B&W enlargements. Gads he and his Mammma-meeea' 4X4 saw lots of use in those old daze days...

I wish Gary would add more of his photos to this site...(Guess its time to bug Gary again...and met him for lunch in Fed way....and maybe I can glean some more beautiful old photos for our Beloved SPARKY-SH! H^^

Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 03:39:15 PM »
I never saw any of Mark's planes in person, but I was always intrigued by them.  Hopefully he could be persuaded to return to the roundy round good times!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 08:59:42 PM »
I never saw any of Mark's planes in person, but I was always intrigued by them.  Hopefully he could be persuaded to return to the roundy round good times!

Check out carefully that beautiful thought out Spitfire wing! If ya love eliptal flatforms...WOW! WHAT A KEEPER OF A WING FOR A GREAT LOOKING STUNT MODEL? H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 11:13:26 PM »
Check out carefully that beautiful thought out Spitfire wing! If ya love eliptal flatforms...WOW! WHAT A KEEPER OF A WING FOR A GREAT LOOKING STUNT MODEL? H^^
I was really suprised when I saw this drawing. This plane was really ahead of it's time and Mark still looks like a kid yet. I asked him the last time I saw him if he would maybe get back into this but he really didn't sound too interested. Like I said Mark was his own person and did what he wanted to do. I think was always interested in stunt but had not yet found his own nitch yet. I think that came when he got a little older. Thanks Shultzie for digging this out of your files. I am sending Pictures to Fling Lines and givin you credit for it. It seems you remember more about Delta than I despite the fact that we are both in the burned out old age factor. HIHI%% HIHI%% HIHI%% HIHI%% HB~>

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 09:23:06 AM »

The "Al Rabe" influence is definitely noticeable.  Just how old WAS Mark when he was doing all this?  It is an inspiring design, for sure.

What magazine is this in??
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 11:38:45 AM »
The "Al Rabe" influence is definitely noticeable.  Just how old WAS Mark when he was doing all this?  It is an inspiring design, for sure.

What magazine is this in??
August 73 to be exact...I think he was flying open at the time? Age hummm? around 18 or so when the mag was published.
Thanks to Al Rabe for encouraging him and showing Mark the pathway.
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 12:09:08 PM »
August 73 to be exact...I think he was flying open at the time? Age hummm? around 18 or so when the mag was published.
Thanks to Al Rabe for encouraging him and showing Mark the pathway.
Those are definatly early 1970s clothes he is wearing. The Fulk Wolf he is holding is a lot smaller than his BF 109. I never saw him with a mustach. But I never saw you with a mustach. I can not even say I want to see you with a mustach. Thanks for this waaaaaaalk back in time. I know know I am getting to the anchient class. H^^ HB~>

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 01:32:44 PM »
Those are definatly early 1970s clothes he is wearing. The Fulk Wolf he is holding is a lot smaller than his BF 109. I never saw him with a mustach. But I never saw you with a mustach. I can not even say I want to see you with a mustach. Thanks for this waaaaaaalk back in time. I know know I am getting to the anchient class. H^^ HB~>

LEO....THIS SHULTZIE TACH' IS FUR U! LL~
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 11:07:00 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 08:03:59 PM »
I was right, I do not want to see you with a mustach. What a revoltin development. At least you got it the right color. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ HB~>

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 02:30:10 PM »
LEO....THIS SHULTZIE TACH' IS FUR U! LL~
You forgot the hair on the shinny part. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ HB~>

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 11:09:05 AM »
You forgot the hair on the shinny part. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ HB~>

Thanks..Leo  This is mooocho' betta? LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 03:46:37 PM »
Thanks..Leo  This is mooocho' betta? LL~
Who is that masked man. Could it be Sasquach of the northwest woods? y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 Or is IT Gruby? HB~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here