News:

• May 08, 2024, 02:08:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who's your favorite AVIATION PAINTER for today?  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Who's your favorite AVIATION PAINTER for today?
« on: March 05, 2009, 10:44:34 AM »
While surfing this morning....I popped in my search engine AVIATION ART!
Nothing like starting the day out...by checking out your favorite art or artist for the day. However for some of us old toots who like to "doodle" some times feel like going out into the back yard, diggin a hole and stuffing all your old scribbles into that hole..especially when you see what magic and beauty these gifted artist have created during their lives.

Check out these paintings...and you'll see what I mean? For example one artist JACK FELLOWS that I met while at my first Boeing studio location at the Boeing Archives in the old 2-63 bldg. that is now just a parking lot at Plant 2 in Seattle.

This amazing gent...really knew how to handle shadows, sun and lighting.

Hey Stunt grunts...tag a few shots of your own favorite aviaition artist..or artist, even if it has nuttin to do with aviation.
Personally...I have always enjoyed Maritime Art equally. Land water or air...has always touched my heart and soul.
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Who's your favorite AVIATION PAINTER for today?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »
Keith Ferris,,
amazing work.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »
Keith Ferris,,
amazing work.

Boeing Archives had a few really nice pieces of Keith's work...including the first Boeing Dash 80
This attached shot of his Spit' climbing for the safety of cloud cover has always been one of my favorites.
Barrie Clark's Spitfire has been perhaps one of the most popular posters to ever grace the aviation buffs all over the world. Sadly many of the repoductions have been very poor in quality and vary in the appearence.
Here is one from a reliable source...that shows some nice rendition of the clouds and sky.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:12:03 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:27:42 PM »
I enjoy looking at Robert Taylor's, Dru Blair's and my art for Aviation.  My art is for an art class, and I'm best at drawing them.  I can't find my camera right now, so I can't show any of my art.

1-4 is Robert Taylor.
5-10 is Dru Blair
Matt Colan

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »
I have two favorites:
#1 Alice Cotton-Royer, Stunt Chick. Artist (I think she's an Art Professor.), a fine Stunt Flier, and Judge.
#2 Mike Keville, CL & FF flier, Artist, and Stunt Judge. I haven't seen him fly, but I'm sure he can.  LL~

H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 10:00:07 AM »
 I have seen one of Mike's beautiful paintings some where online?
Uhhh? Also Alice is a  very pretty young lady and an accomplished artist..also that picture has some real humor to it...but perhaps she was a bit tooooooo kind.
Don't you think that just maybe her  painting would reflex more of the pain plain truth of panic...

if the picture was to be hung upside down on a wall?  LL~ LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 06:50:13 PM »
The picture is of Alice. The painting was done by Mike Keville. He does serious stuff, tho I couldn't find it on my confuser at the time. But here's one. #1

Do you remember who did this fine artwork? #2   LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 09:05:57 PM »
The picture is of Alice. The painting was done by Mike Keville. He does serious stuff, tho I couldn't find it on my confuser at the time. But here's one. #1

Do you remember who did this fine artwork? #2   LL~ Steve
Opps!
My Speeeeeeeeeeeed reading is about as good as my last stunt fright-flight! LL~ VD~
Speaking of the artwork on #2 photo....All I know it looks like a decal made by SLOPPYCHOPS&WALLEEEWALKER'S Sign Company? na#
POSAAALUTELY B U TEEE FULL MODEL that is one of the sweeeeetest sounding models I have ever heard and seen in my life time!!!
Bye the way...here is another sketch made by that same SLOPPYCHOPS SIGN CO.  LL~
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:42:00 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 12:38:15 AM »
Here's my favorite, also by Mike Keville:

The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 10:36:59 AM »
Great painting by Mike Keville of a great stunt model....bye the way Rush...your paint schemes really pop against either a blue or grey sky background.
Don Shultz

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 09:27:53 PM »
Mike Schmitt
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 07:34:46 AM »
Paul Rendel
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 10:58:20 AM »
Mike..
He really handles the "nightlighted shots with perfection. Years ago...I had an assignment to paint a back lighted night painting of The Hilton Chain's newly revamped MD-80 with Aviation Partners new winglets...for one of their conference rooms.   
After seeing just how well Paul handles those nights scenes with such beautiful rendition...I can only imagine just what kind of a challenge these works of art must have been.

This painting of a 737 really is quite breathtaking. WOW!
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 01:13:29 PM »
Have to say I don't remember they guy's name. Could be McDonald. But there's an art dealer in Kailua, Kona on Da Big Island. It has a series of paintings of WWII planes that were shot down and are under water with fish, dolphins and the like swimming around. They are barnacle covered and really pretty cool. My favorite is of a P-51 with a bent prop.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 08:35:47 PM »
As a member of the American Society of Aviation Artists, it's been my privilege to rub elbows with some of the best, if relatively unknown, artists in the country.  If you get a chance (Google, perhaps?) check out the web sites of Tom Kalina, Gerald Ascher, Sam Lyons, Cher Pruys, John Reinhold, Michelle Rouch, Roy Grinnell and Priscilla Messner-Patterson, to name just a few.

Among our own CLPA flyers, Illinois' Michael Schmitt is a very fine aviation artist.

It should also be noted that the legendary Keith Ferris, whose gigantic B-17 mural adorns one wall of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum, is a very friendly, down-to-earth gentleman who readily shares his knowledge and techniques with anyone who asks.

In comparison, my own works are progressing somewhat---though with still much to learn.  The attached view, "Super Soaker On Station", a 28"x30" oil-on-canvas, is currently on display at the annual "Horizons of Flight" exhibit, CAE/SimuFlite, DFW Airport, Texas, through May 2nd.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 01:45:34 PM »
Opps...Sorry Ty!!!
I accidently erased your post...any chance of reposting it? (Brain and finger fart while trying to use the quote button.)
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »
Ah, now I remember. The first part of my diatribe was about Jo Kotula of MAN cover paintings. His planes were great, up to a point, but his backgrounds were a tad bizarre.  Where all the above painters have true backgrounds and the planes are more true to actuality.
Yes... His background were often OFF THE CHART..I wonder if Jo Kotula...might have been smokin the "funny smellin stuff and tastin' the Alice B. Tokelin-tinklin laced brownies?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:17:33 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
The last of my Jo-Jo collection covers...I only wish that I had kept more of the covers instead of giving all those old collection of magazines that I thought I would want to see again.
(However, I did save the mags with stunt articles that captured my addiction to CLPA n~
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 08:13:58 AM »
Perhaps inspired by Jo Kotula's unusual backgrounds I tried that approach with this little acrylic-and-ink thing a while back.  Still trying to decide whether to go for a larger version . . .

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 08:41:52 AM »
Mike, it looks great.  But, didn't we all drool all over those cover paintings done on the various mags?  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 09:35:15 AM »
...didn't we all drool all over those cover paintings done on the various mags?  DOC Holliday

We sure did (and still do).  The late Jo Kotula was one of the founders of the American Society of Aviation Artists.  I regret that I never got to meet him...though recently I did get to meet Keith Ferris.  In his presence I felt like a Buck Private at a General Staff meeting, yet he is a very kind and down-to-earth guy.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 10:34:29 AM »
Mike..
One of my all time favorite aircraft! Great choice for background...really makes that painting
POP!  Thanks for sharing this beautiful painting of yours with us here on Sparky's place.
Interesting info about "Jo-jo" Is their any website that may have a bio of this prolific aviation artist? 
Although it appears that MAN  often took Joe's work pretty much for granted during those years...
(It used to boggle my mind..when I would pick up the latest issues with that art and the disappointment I would feel when MAN would give such little detail about either the cover art or this amazingly PAINT ON DEMAND AND COMMAND gifted artist of the air.)

Somewhere in some vintage past issue of  MAN i...THERE HAS TO BE SOME TRIBUTE ARTICLE about his beautiful cover art.  In my demented long term memory fog I seem to remember of one issue that did show a group of teeenieeeeweeenie little reduced sized photos of Joe Kotula's work and how I kept trying (in vain )to use a magnifyiing reading glass to see more detail of his precious art that was often hidden behind all that BOLD lettering info about what was inside the magazine.
 Even worse...the mailing subscription label would so often as not...be plastered right over some art detail on the cover.  (Maybe this was a sales gimmic that must have worked pretty well) So often I would drive down to the nearest hobby shop or magazine counter and buy that same issue that didn't have that annoying subscriptions sticker.

I can't remember who gave me this aviation artist link:  but its a keeper so check it out!
www.tuskegeeairmenart.com/index.htm
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 11:23:24 AM »
For some personal data on Jo Kotula, see http://www.asaa-avart.org/vFounders.html

He's listed 2nd, under Keith Ferris.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »
Thanks Mike and for the link:
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »
Here are two that were sold to a buyer last year.....each a 16"x20" oil on canvas.  I was very pleased with these sales since the buyer is a close personal friend.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:38:25 AM by Mike Keville »

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 08:34:36 PM »
Rats!  Something went wrong in the previous post.  Here's the other view...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here