News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:57:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where I got my love for flying  (Read 6289 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Where I got my love for flying
« on: February 15, 2016, 12:29:34 PM »
The attached newspaper article appeared in the Mayfield Messenger on April 10, 1981.  I was raised in the small Western Kentucky town of Mayfield.  My dad was Floyd Griffin and the time period for all of this was 1931.  Dad passed away in 1978 at the age of 63.  I remember him telling me of this before he died....just thought I would share the article.

Mike

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: Where I got my love for flying
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 03:44:10 PM »
That was truly a wonderful memory and story.....As kids we tried so many thing that "HATH WINGS.!"
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 09:10:31 PM »
Thanks Mike, that is one great story.   Might be good they couldn't afford the shellac.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 09:35:50 AM »
'wonderful reminiscence, Mike. We were fortunate to have grown in a time when airplanes and flying were still fascinating. My own Dad also had his stories of building a primary glider when in high school or trading for a boat from which they dove into the Maumee river of Gerti's (sp?) Island to find the storied cannon dropped through the ice by Mad Anthony Wayne on his way to Fallen Timbers. Our fathers had so much fun in the real world - as opposed to cyberspace. Barnstormers, learning to grind valves for OX-5 engines, driving friends to the National Air Races at age 14 in a body-less car,... 'so many stories of youth of another time. Thanks for posting the delightful memoir.

Offline Richard Logston

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 10:14:31 AM »
Reading these stories reminds me of my youth. My younger brother, a good friend and I watched the movie "Gallant Journey" and was inspired to build a glider. We lived on a farm that had a valley below that would make a great place to launch our glider. We visioned gliding around the valley and eventually landing in a field below. So the three of us set off to the local sawmill were unusable sticks were dumped for the community to use for kindling, but we had a far better use for it. The three of us drug a bundle of sticks about 12 foot in length two miles to our farm. The sticks were laid out and sorted by usability. When my Mom heard of our plans, the sticks mysteriously disappeared while we were at school. But the woodshed kindling pile grew. So ended our first attempt to build a flying machine. My brother and I still talk about those days when we visit. What's that old song, Memories are made of this? My brother and I did get our license and have owned airplanes most of our adult lives. I did build a "Starduster One" biplane that took me on many adventures.Richard

Offline Richard Logston

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 02:20:13 PM »
Ty, Some of us learn the hard way! Richard

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here