News:

• April 23, 2024, 02:40:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WHAT WAS THE FIRST CAR-TRAINS N' PLANES THAT YOU HAVE OWNED?  (Read 7284 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
WHAT WAS THE FIRST CAR-TRAINS N' PLANES THAT YOU HAVE OWNED?
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:08:39 AM »
Speaking of vintage photos...
If any one has photos or stories about their "VERY FIRST CARS...PLANES...N TRAINS that you have owned!
Dig through your old albums...scan and send a few this way..TODAY?  H^^

Guess I'll start the memory train....with the photo of my very first car.
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: WHAT WAS THE FIRST CAR-TRAINS N' PLANES THAT YOU HAVE OWNED?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »
My first car was a RED pedal race car #8.  I DO have a picture around here somewhere.......

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 02:08:02 PM »
I can't remember.  My did owned a car repair shop, and was good friends with the local garbageman.  I was #4 of four kids, and when I was growing up our rides were a never-ending stream of rebuilt tricycles, about which we were never told "take care of that, it has to last!!".
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »
Pedal fire truck, ladders and all.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:03:59 PM »
Never had a pedal car, but my cousin did.   Did have a tricycle that I had to share with my sister.   Then I was given the old Schwinn my brothers had passed down thru them, all three.  It started life with a gas engine that drove the reart wheel.  Finally I got the family Ford.  two door coupe that I drove all  over the country causing all kinds of mayhem.   Then I think I grew up a little with a 55 Ford 2DR hardtop V-8. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 06:47:54 AM »
No pedal Car, but I did get a replica " Nifty,Thrifty, Honda 50" that was a bike in a plastic shell, looked just like the real thing and had a noise maker to simulate the engine sound. Must have been around 1965. Never saw another one.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:54:11 AM »
My first real bike was a gift from my granddaddy. A Black "Firestone Flyer in red n orange trim" that he bought during wheat havesting time in Wakeeney, NW Kansas.  
My grandfather Joe Osborn bought this for me...so that I could drive 3/4 a mile up an old dirt road to the main gravel road to pick up the mail each day...or deliver messages or to the Wheat combine crews...during the cutting of the wheat.
LET'S LIFT UP THOSE FOLKS  IN OUR THOUGHTS, PRAYERS...THAT ARE STILL LIVING IN THAT SAME HORRIFIC WIND AND TORNADO'S TORN COUNTRY....ALL OVER THAT MID WESTERN PLAINS COUNTRY IN THE PAST COUPLE OF DAZE DAYS!

Amazing how the memories about that region came back to haunt me...of those many many trips to the storm shelter carved out in the basements of our rental homes...during these  formative years my twin sister and I spent in Kansas wheat county.
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »
That is a far cry from the wheat harvest of today.   Bet, you love to have that bike today tho. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 12:07:13 PM »
American Flyer Silver Comet.
Thimble Drone Little Stinker.
Pontiac Tempest Lemans convertible.
14' Sea King with a 40 HP outboard.
Cessna 150 Aerobat.

no motorcycle.
Paul Smith

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 05:28:09 PM »
Well, I had a Big Wheel (that'll  date me pretty easily), started the trains with my dad's two Marx sets (999 and 666 steam engine's) then got some Athearn HO and started a lifetime of Lionel collecting.  Dad had a Sterling SE-5 at the time with a Mccoy .35 and a half built Sterling Corsair.  When I was about 10, either he or I got interested in the planes again and he finished the Corsair with a Fox.35.  We flew those for a while along with a few others,  I had a Testor's plastic P-40 and  a Cox Grasshopper dune buggy in there somewhere.  By that time, I had built a few Guillows and Comet airplanes (all warbird's for some reason!).  The first glow powered plane I built was a Sterling Mr. Mulligan that I bought at a hobby shop probably in the  1978-81 timeframe.  Paid $2.50 for the kit, my dad bought a green box Polish fighter at the same time (both very used/old even then of course).  So we enjoyed flying until I went into the Navy but unfortunately, didn't fly anymore after that.  After I got out, I met a girl, went to college, moved and started the family thing.  My dad died of cancer on Jan 17, 2002 (yea, like anyone ever forgets the date!).  It was actually the act of  gathering more of my childhood things from my mom's house the peaked my interest in flying again, it's been slow to get back into I, but I'm working on it.  Well, at least I seem to have reacquired and acquired a bunch of kits, plans, and engine's.  It's a work in progress  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Back to topic  LL~ LL~ LL~

Train's : Marx & Lionel
Car's: 69 Triumph Spitfire, 72 Porsche 911E, 69 Mustang 351/4spd
Plane's: Mr. Mulligan, Spitfire, SE-5, All Sterling C series firewood planes  HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>
Boats:  None for me yet, although the old man built 3-4 so for some reason I feel the need to build one too...would have to be wood of course maybe a Barrelback or runabout.
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 08:28:49 PM »
Nice post Dennis..BIG WHEELS STILL RULE...EVEN WITH THE NEW GENERATIONS OF GRAND KIDDIES!
Any chance digging some nice old photo..from your Dads old albums...or photos from his childhood. It would be great to see some scans of these photos.
My son RYAN LIVED TO STYLE N PROFILE ON HIS BIG WHEEL!
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 06:28:21 PM »
I guess I will weigh in with my "trains and planes".  My first train was an American Flyer steam w/sound and smoke about 1957, Christmas.

First C/L plane was a Wen Mac Bonanza (V-tail) about the same time given to me by the nextdoor neighbor.

Still have the American Flyer train!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 02:49:24 AM »
First bike: about 1953 Schwinn (single speed). Developed legs and wind to stay with, and better than, an English 3-Speed a friend rode while we pedaled our butts (hey, that's pedaled, not peddled - we're guys - it ain't street hookers, okay?) all over Brooklyn, NY, in the mid-/late- 1950's. Day excursions over 25 miles were rare, but not that uncommon. In NYC traffic...

First car - a $15 1948 Ford Anglia (8HP by the British licensing stupidity of the day - considered number of cylinders and piston diameter.) Never licensed for the road after we (bicycle buddy, a cousin and I) started pulling ugly, heavy pieces off it, in eventual hopes of hanging a fiberglass body on the chassis. Turned out there WAS NO chassis, just a "keel" from which the various body pieces provided the rest of the supposed "structural integrity.(?)" (1948, remember: Dagenham UK was still rebuilding from that Hitler Unpleasantness.) Drove it up and down the Grandparent's driveway many times... (they had a garage, we didn't.) Learned that you do not put your thumb t'other side of the crank (no starter motor) when pulling it into life. What's left of the Anglia - the engine block - is still mooring a boat somewhere around Jamaica Bay, Brooklyn, NY.

Never had an American Flyer set-up - Lionel all the way! 2-track and 3-track...

Hot Wheels were barely invented in time for our son to get some time on one before Kindergarten. Never had a pedal-and-metal pedal car in the family...

Family never had a car until I was old enough to drive: - NYC in the 1950's! Parking (even then) was a hassle when someone invented alternate side of the street parking so the street sweepers could pretend to keep things clean. Several interesting stories about using mass transit to get from home to a flying site... Even remember riding the jump seat on a friend's MG-TC (actually the ragtop stowage area) with a field box and a couple of stunters hanging out in the breeze...

... And, when I was using occasional diesels, telling my flying buds NOT to flip the prop, NOT to mess with that "windup-key" on the cylinder head. ...Not on the Subway, anyway... Learned about that AFTER a bud (we divided the loads into guys loaded with field boxes w/fuel and others with models so we could all get on or off at the same stop in the time allowed by the conductor and in usable condition. One of the "model toters" pulled the 1957 David Andersen diesel on one of my models through and said "this has a lot of compression!" I was starting to tell him not to flip it, when BRAAAP, it ran off the memories of its last run. Good thing it was about 8:00 AM on a Saturday or Sunday, in December, at the empty Smith and 9th St station, on the way to a site at Red Hook Stadium (Brooklyn, of course.)

Ah, yes, diesels... Can you imagine a 16 year old wandering into an industrial chemicals supplier ,off the street, no "official courier" documents or anything, and asking if I could buy some technical ether. Guy said how many pallets do you want, and answered my question that a pallet was what they move with fork lifts, several hundred gallons. I told him I didn't need that much, so he quoted me a price for 4 or 5, 5 gallon cans. Again I had to wimp out - and asked him what the smallest size he could sell me was. ONE gallon - $3. Seemed a lot of money back then, but paid it anyway.

Took it home on New York Subways, in broad daylight, in our familiar handle-top gallon can, vividly labeled EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE, TECHNICAL ETHER -with 'flame' and 'skull and crossbone' images. Anyway, im \t worked well in the homebrew fuels I used over the next several years, .

I have a long memory, perhaps enhanced by the brilliant glow of years. So much else no one seems to care for in these days of the "toy-in-the-box" attitude. I can snap a double edge Gillette Blue Blade razor so I could cut parts out of the printwood in 10cent COMET kits, and can show the scars to prove it.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »
My first car was my mom's MGB. I payed 600 dollars for the 58,000 mile car in 1974. I drove it until 1981 and mom took it back buying mea Pinto to carry my then new wife and baby. Dad and I restored it over 20 years, I finished it in Phoenix in 2001. It's in my hangar still.

My first airplane was this O-320 powered Pitts S-1C, but it is long gone. It was my mount for my first aerobatic contest and won my first air race. I bought it for 15,000 (a lot of bang for the buck) and sold it for 19,000 bucks to buy a bigger, more powerful S-1D.

Chris...

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 07:39:23 AM »
Chris,
Is that S1C Pitts, the one with the M-6 airfoil and bottom ailerons? As I recall Pitts went to the the symetrical airfoil and 4 ailerons after that.
 I have always loved the Pitts.
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 10:18:19 AM »
Chris..
Thanks for sharing...Great to hear that you have taken such great care of such a cool little car that must have been one of the greatest girleemagnets a young man could own.  LL~ H^^
As far as the Pinto goes...Hummm? What a mistake I made when I helped buy my daugther her first car car....("A Found On Road Dead  Ford Tempo..which we nicknamed it her Ford "DISTEMPER!" (from the pits of VD~) j1
Don Shultz

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »
Interesting topic:  First car-1937 Ford - worked all summer before my high school freshman year to buy it.  I was 14 and
only boy in school who owned a car.... Bought 1936 Ford coupe for $15.00 and made a 1/4 mile dirt track car which I raced
while in HS....Other favorites: 55 Chevy HT - 1958 Chevy HT which Carl Berryman and I drove non stop from Lubbock to 58
Chicago Nats and back..(what a trip)  1965 Ford Galaxy 500XL made many a contest.....Favorite - 1999 Corvette convertible
which I still have (54k miles) but it is for sale... Only one plane - 1967 Cherokee 180 which I sold two years ago. Would like
to find a Kolb to play with or a Glasair II.    It's been fun - what a ride!!
RW

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Chris,
Is that S1C Pitts, the one with the M-6 airfoil and bottom ailerons? As I recall Pitts went to the the symetrical airfoil and 4 ailerons after that.
 I have always loved the Pitts.

Hi Tom,
Good to hear from you.
Yes, the S-1C was the first one to have plans drawn for it, the C was for Continental which Curtis envisioned guys installing. The Lyc being the better acro engine, one rarely sees anything but installed. The wings are as you say, for racing they're 5 mph faster than an S with the top ailerons taped off!

I later bought an S-1D and it has a flat bottomed wing and four ailerons. Much better roll rate, still speedier than an S.

Hope to see you soon,
Chris...

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 11:03:29 PM »
Chris..
Thanks for sharing...Great to hear that you have taken such great care of such a cool little car that must have been one of the greatest girleemagnets a young man could own.  LL~ H^^
As far as the Pinto goes...Hummm? What a mistake I made when I helped buy my daugther her first car car....("A Found On Road Dead  Ford Tempo..which we nicknamed it her Ford "DISTEMPER!" (from the pits of VD~) j1

Hi Donaldo,
Yeah, long haired singers with baby blue MG's were attractive to girls, until I opened my mouth. Have you ever seen The Big Bang Theory? :)

I have owned many Fords, Dad too. I figure they're like any car, quirky. (Remember we like Jags and airplanes too, so we're weird.) The Pinto had a hatchback with the rear seat that folded down so models would go in no problem (much better than the MG). but it had a cam set-up on the 2.3 four banger that was a little like a Rolls Royce Merlin, except without the 100psi oil pressure...the cam follower pushed the valve down and the frictin was too high for the surfacing of the cam lobes, so premature wear was a problem. I did the head four times finally learning how to do as much as possible before taking it to the machine shop for "just what was broken" repairs!
They were popular cars for the youth back in those days, and many a flight was flown because of it's ease of model transport over the MG!

I have a Ford Aerostar minivan and an SHO V-8 Taurus now, they'll have to last me 5 more years at least the way things are going!

Chris...

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 07:37:02 AM »
Thanks for the great story...U write beautifully.....almost as beautiful as those CLPA models of yours! Thanks for sharing!
With regular gas super hike jump last night to $4.39.9 here in Gig Harbor 76 station---just in time for the Memorial Day weekend. Hey, no big deal...only a dime a gallon increase over my fill up from the night before. LL~

By the way....That HSO V-8 of yours is truly a beautiful piece of metal art..and Ford has made some huge advances...since that old FORD "DISTEMPER" that we bought for my daughter so many years ago. H^^
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 09:30:28 AM »
Put my gas on the card before the gas hike.   The wife argues with me, but the powers in control know when people get paid and retirees get their SS.   Then a day or two later the price goes back down.   

Yeah, I miss the days wen a person could work on their car without all the electronic gizmos.  Have replaced engines, axles and clutches when I had the old Ford Fairlaine 2DR hardtop.  Ford replaced the fourspeed transmission. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 12:54:36 AM »
Let's see, first model, a Strombecker Jeep Aircraft Carrier.  First plane, probably a Walker 74 Glider or a Hornet rubber powered FF.  First (Model) train was probably a 1948 Marx Commodore Vanderbuilt, with a loop of O-27 track, Variable Transformer, Gondola, Box Car, and Caboose.  First car, a 57 Chevy 150, Sea Mist Green, 250 Cu In 6, oil bath air cleaner.  First car repair, replacing the vibrator in that chevy's radio.  Should have been to replace 4 bald tires, but my instructor, my Uncle, suggested that I wait until I had a chance todrive it in the rain.  So I waited a few days.  Not only did I find out  about driving on a wet street with bald tires, the city had a mile long section of nice, smooth, BRICKS that were worse dry than almost any other surface wet.
First PCS in the AF, Wheelus AFB.
Tony

Offline Brad Smith

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 09:26:19 PM »
first car was a 1962 chevyII 192 6 1 barrel 3 speed 4 door red paid 50 dollars for it man was i happy this was 1973. my dad bought me some used bucket seats for it and  recap tires for my birthday. sold that car in 1975 for 150 dollars and bought a van and then cutomized the van more fun . my first plane was a skylark with a fox 19.
Brad smith AMA780054

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 06:13:32 PM »
Well...it was airplanes and trains before cars for me...first plane was a Strombecker, want to say F80...not sure. It was 1949.
But after I learned to sand on that one, I bought a Monogram Speedi-Bilt P 40 Warhawk! Paper and dope came easy, first time stretching and applying it came out nice. Started with sanding sealer, my neighbor (old guy about 20, LOL) told me to keep applying the sealer, then when it dried, sand most of it off. I did as I was told, went thru 3 jars...Painted it with Testors, I think...Olive drab over Battleship grey.
I took it downtown to the hobby shop, they were having a contest. The lady said, "Oh, no, Mikey. We're not allowing any plastic planes..." An older boy scout said, "It's not plastic...It's a Speedi-Bilt! How'd you get it so perfect?"
I answered, "Eleven coats of sanding sealer..."  Everybody said something... Beautiful airplane, but it must have weighed two pounds.

I got my first Lionel train at 7, that was 1949. Loved the smoke. No room to permanently table it at Grandma's, so it wound its way thru the living room. My Dad said we'd 'add to it', and we sure did. Added so much track we had to install a satellite transformer at the opposite side.

My first car was a $15 '36 Ford 3-window Coupe. My Mom helped me get it home, I was 13. She rope-towed me for 2 miles with her pristine lowered '48 Cadillac she bought from Mr. Langendorf, the California Bread King!
I learned to gas weld on that car...by the time I was 14, the top had been chopped 5-1/4", dropped axle and juice brakes installed, and a near-stock '41 Merc 59 A engine, with '39 Ford transmission.
Drove it once, and a friendly Santa Clara policeman stopped me, followed me home, and asked my Mom to keep me from driving until I got a license?
First powered C/L plane was a crashed Ringmaster I bought from a friend. McCoy .35, Perfect wheels, Top Flite 10/6 Power Prop.
Waynie Toledo said "I had nice equipment".  That was 1955...

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 12:52:21 PM »
American Flyer train in about 46, Scientific hollow logs with an OK Cub .049 in 51. Got my first Doodle Bug motor scooter when I was 10 in 51. First car was a 37 Chevy I paid $35.00 for when I was 15, which was traded for my first Harley. I traded the Chevy, a Winchester single shot 12 gauge, and $20.00 for the Harley. I skipped over a lot of things, such as my belt drive sidewalk bike when I was 4, and the 48 lowered and leaded in Ford. Great memories. We did not know how blessed we were to be born in this country in the 40's and 50's. We know now though.
Jim Kraft

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 12:08:44 AM »
Maybe I should, or at least could add that my first bike was an old AMF heavyweight, 2.125 tires, sprung front fork, coaster brake, and a real comfortable seat. A real comfortable cruiser bike, not a speedster.  First RTF was a Wen-Mac Aeromite that never did fly because the plane fell apart before I got the engine to start.  I also had what my dad called a velocipede, a 4 wheel contrivance that was steered with the feet, front wheels were on a pivoting bar axle, and propulsion was by pumping with the arms.
Tony

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 08:31:03 PM »
My first car was a white Highway Patrol Jeep pedal car with a speaker in the grill and a carbon mic. My first real car was a '56 Mercury Monterey. My first plane was I don't know hwat, I built airplane from scraps under my Dad's bench, he still has a couple of them. No trains, my brother was into that. My first motorcycle was a '38 Indian.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 08:44:46 PM »
Actually, the first car (model, that is) was an all wood 1948 Jeepster by a company that might have been Ace (not the RC company started by Paul Runge in Higginsville Mo.).  Some die cut wood and card pieces, pressed wood composition wheels, and a fair number of supposedly balsa blocks that my dad had trouble carving to shape after I glued things together.  Tried two different kits, both had balsa harder than anything I ever found in a Sterling kit.  For a while, I built some early Revell Antique car kits when they first came out.
Tony

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 10:33:55 AM »
Now you hit an old  memory cell in this old grey matter of mine.  Was not a teen yet when I got one of the plastic antique car kits.  My brother showed me how to assemble it including heating the axle the wheels went on to keep the wheels on.  The glue was in a bottle with a little brush.  Did not use any paint on it.   Boy that has been many years ago.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 04:48:58 PM »
First car: 1956, a $125 4-door '49 Ford, thanks to Dad's checkbook.
First model plane: Walker AJ-74 glider; then on to Strombecker solids, c.1947.
First solo: June '67, C-150, Tahoe Valley Airport. 
First hint of oncoming senility:  very recently.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2012, 08:27:41 PM »
There have been many models of the '57 Chevy Bel-Aires and Nomads, but a local chain drug store had what to me was a first.  A 1957 Chevy 150.  I've been looking for a model of my first car since 1964, when I got one.  Now, Revell has a 1/24 kit.  $19.95.  Kind of a sticker shock, back then, these kits were maybe 98 cents.  Problem is, it's a model of a utility, same body, but no rear seat.  Now, I guess I have to find a 1/24 Bel Aire, just for the rear seat.
I don't think I've had a plastic car kit since maybe 1960, except maybe for a few for my HO trains.
Tony

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »
You want to talk about sticker shock?  How about this?  Bought a (real, not model) '57 Chevy Bel Air 2-dr. hardop in 1961 for $950 ($53-a-month bank loan.)  Beautiful whiteo-over-turquoise job.  Kept it for two years until re-enlisting in the Army.......sold it to the first bidder for (sob) $500.

Should've kept it.....would probably be worth five figures today/
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2012, 09:10:16 PM »
I got the 150 from dad when I graduated from a Community Colege in 1964.  He paid about $350 cash.  Shortly before I sold it, after some fix-up, I'd had offers of $550.  Then just a couple days before I had to ship out for an overseas tour, I had to accept $80 for it.  Some AH rubbed me in a parking lot while I was in a store, put creases in both sides, so I imagine it was intentional, especially since I had parked in the emptiest spot in the lot, not another car near me.
Tony

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »
Dad built it for me ca. 1951. Supreme artistry in finsh by the driver. Dick Van der Karr and I raced our "pushmobiles" (his flat with Soap Box Derby wheels) around Marshall Blvd. a block away. That's my friend Sherry Stock at the wheel. The wheels are still downstairs here, with some stuff Dad made to motorize it - which never happened.

First full sized car was a 1961 Dodge Lancer - a Valiant slant-six with different grill/trim. First model plane: probably a plastic Knight Twister or a blue Wen-Mac "Night Fighter." First CL model built, after a bunch or Strombecker, Cleveland Quickie, and other gadgets: a "Dil Bod" team racer for the Wen Mac.

There were a lot of things I built that didn't fly.

SK

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 04:24:13 PM »
First train was an American Flyer something circa 1962. Ran on Dad's layout and later traded to him for a McCoy or some other model engine.

First plane was a Goldberg Shoestring with a McCoy .35. Flew Great! Gold silk on the wings and a black fuse. Sixth grade, makes that about 1969. Dad and I used to load it into the Aztec Gold Vista Cruiser and head to the flying field. He had a blue and white Cosmic Wind. I still have that McCoy, and my in bucket list of controline planes is to build another one, paint it the same and put that original readhead on it.

First car - 1967 Mustang. Green coupe with a 289 and...glass packs. I still drive hot-rodded Mustangs to this day. Why? When I was about 14 Bob Zambelli gave me a ride in his blue Mach 1. I heard and felt that V8, felt ultra cool just sitting it and I fell head-over-heels in love with pony cars.

AMA 76478

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 11:58:39 PM »
First plastic airplane was a Navion and the first balsa was an F-86 Monogram. Anyone remember Cushman Eagle, then a Triumph 650 Bonneville.  1965 Ford Fairlane 6 banger, then THE red 1966 Impala SS with a 327, white leather interior, and Learjet 8-Track.  I believe it was made specifically for the drive-in movies! I don't remember ever getting a text while at a drive-in movie, paying for a bottle of water, or calling an adult "Dude."  Sure did have fun.
Great subject,
Steve
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 12:52:29 AM »
Shortly before I got out of the USAF in 1968, I almost bought an interesting Stereo outfit for my '62 Falcon. Would have been a step up from the Hi Fi records.  My first Stereo.   Anybody remember 4 track stereos?  I almost bought one, but the clerk clued me in that there wasn't a whole lot of tapes available for them, and they weren't a good deal because the relatively newly released 8 tracks were better, and had a bigger variety of music selections available, even then, and all companies had already stopped making the 4 tracks.  I decided to wait and see, and a year later, bought a home combo am-fm, 8 track, and 4 speed Hi Fi record changer.  Still have it.  Mechanism is kind of gummed up.
Tony

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here