News:

• May 06, 2024, 01:25:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: JIM KOSTECKY Shultzies scan for today. 1969 nationals  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
JIM KOSTECKY Shultzies scan for today. 1969 nationals
« on: February 05, 2009, 09:09:16 PM »
JIM KOSTECKY revisited today...Slide scans from my old Minolta Sr-2 on Etkatchome.

Jim will forever be remembered not only for his genius and out of the world artistic talent...but most of all...HE LEFT THIS PLACE A MUCH MUCH BETTER PLACE! Although we hear this comment all the time.....

WE ARE ARE LESSEND BY HIS PASSING.

Pictures are soooo PALE in comparison to the memory and blessing of SEEING JIM'S BEAUTIFUL STUNNING MODELS OF PERFECTION... UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL..under those glaring NAVY HANGER LIGHTS, that night before qualifications...1969!

ONLY 40 YEARS AGO? :o H^^

attached two shots of detailed canopy to see just how extensively detailed his models were.
Can you just fanthom how fortunate it would to be in one of his art classes in school?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:12:57 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: JIM KOSTECKY Shultzies scan for today. 1969 nationals
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 09:20:23 AM »
Another couple of shots of Jim's 2nd place finish at the Olatha Wind fly...where his FORMULA S was just the formula he needed. Jim's wind fly performance was one of the best during that huge afternoon winds that came "ROARING DOWN THE KANSAS PLAINS" from the north.

I took about 6 of these shots...but sent the best shots directly to Jim. (Unfortunately these are not the best...not only did I cut the spinner off..but his tongue is stickin out! Daaa! n~ LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 09:53:05 AM »
Thanks Shultzie!

That is the "Spirit of America"

Later that year I was a judge at the team trials in St Louis.

After the team selection was finished, Jim asked me if I wanted to fly his airplane..Jim had never seen me fly, but he just said "If you can judge you can fly."

On take off the lines caught a blade of grass....I nearly died.

Then it pulled loose of the grass. I did a lazy 8 and thought... "this airplane feels nice!"

I then did a full pattern... Jim's only comment was "Gee, the judge flew it better than I did!"

That wasn't true, but he was a great guy.

Shortly before he left us, Jim told me that he did not have a good picture of the airplane. I sent him a fair shot that I had taken, I only wish that he had been able to see these pictures by Shultz.

I wish that there were plans for this airplane somewhere, but I don't know of any.

Jim left this earth much to early. May God bless him.

AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 10:58:39 AM »
Thanks for your heartfelt post about Jim...
I don't know for certain who pinned our friend Kostecky with that "CAPTAIN AMERICA" title...(I  strongly suspect Dave Geirke)  shortly after seeing that awesomely beautiful piece of CLPA Artwork had just finished his  first round qualification flight.
 From there..."Captain America" seem to take on a life of its own for a while and as you can see on that  first slide when I asked  our CAPTAIN AMERICA to pose for a few photos.LL~ LL~

(I still wonder if those other slides  (the better ones, without his tongue stickin out) that I took of his beautiful Formula S shortly before he had just missed 1st place by a small margin. I had shot 2 action shots...(but sadly...I only have the blurred one left.)

I packaged them up in a photo mailer at work and sent them to his address a few weeks after returning back with Tim Dunlop and his son Vance.
Again, sadly both Jim and Tim Dunlop have all passed this life.
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 11:52:46 AM »
>>I wish that there were plans for this airplane somewhere, but I don't know of any.<<

This is kind of like Dave Gierke's Novi II. He told me it only got about 8 or 10 flights on in before it went into the pavement (some kind of control failure). He never drew up plans for it but still has the template's and some pictures. I hope that he will some day draw up plans for it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »
Is it just me, or does the Formula S have a very thin rear fuselage.  Also love the asthetics like Bill's plane  H^^
Matt Colan

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 03:49:09 PM »
Actually YES..and NO.

Take a look at this borrowed photo from Dennis Adamisin...who was also on hand to take some memories, and you'll notice that aft end had a sub fin...that not only added some side area but also equally important, STIFFNESS.

Jim Kostecky was  one of my earlier STUNT GRUNTS of the day..thang' so for more details about both Jim and his beautiful models. Great stories by Bob Hunt, Dennis etc..
As you can see he was and IS SORELY MISSED.
Here is the link:
www.stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=6472.0
www.stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=3224.0
Don Shultz

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 03:50:27 PM »
good catch Matt!

Jim's airplanes all had very narrow rear fuselages he pulled them in tightly over the wing, and the sides actually reversed curvature - like a Coke bottle.  At the stab they were scarcely 1/2" wide, they looked like profiles!  This helped him reduce the weight of the top and bottom blocks.  Jim did not build very light and tricks like this helped him save weight and really save noseweight.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 05:17:57 PM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 03:59:41 PM »
A belated THANKS for letting me attach that link with your memories and great photos of not only that Formula..but his American Eagle...(Humm? Why does Dave Gierke's retractable geared stunter comes to mind?

(Dennis...do you have slides of that Gierke "ALL American Eagletto' LL~ H^^ model for another post?)
Don Shultz

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 05:25:15 PM »
Sorry Donaldo, no AAE pix.  In fact of all of Dave G's birds I can only put my hands on a single Novi 4 pix.  BTW, AAE did not have retracts, it had wheel brakes and a throttle.

Oh yeah, on behalf of us fans of SH, a HUGE mega-THANX to Shultzie for all these fantastic scans you have been posting.
 H^^ CLP** BW@ HH%% 010!

Only thing missin is a certain HOT Stingray from around that time frame...  8)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 06:25:20 PM »
Thanks for being my brain left bank....
That AAE didn't have retracts...I remember how much problem Dave was having with that Battery pack thingeee' that used ONE SINGLE  coated-shielded  flying line.
 And somewhere it was causing a short somewhere.

Was neat...to see that Eagle model idlin' on the tarmac...and then watch as he  powered up for takeoff and even better yet....after the pattern, watch Dave throttle back that
engine to apower on landing...
taxi up..tap the brakes and stop right in front of judges. TOO COOL or what?

Retracts....were a further brain storm idea that I never got worked out. Then Dave went into R/C and one model of his...would have been one amazing stunt model...(seemed it had a swept wing...but I thought the body line was AWESOME!

DAVE GEIRKE was another bud of Jim Kostecky...that seem to fed off each other creative minds etc. LL~
attached photo:
 is the line up showing Kostecky's model right behind Dave's NOVI 4

(Then "WIPIN' UP THE REAR" was an equally great flying machine Bobby Baron's HUMBUGGA-BOOGA that opened the minds eye just what high rpms and flat pitch props could soon bring to CLPA...
BOB BARON..ANOTHER GENIUS CLPAer "GONE TOO SOON." I always thought that he was waaay  AHEAD OF HIS TIME...

GOOD GODLEEE' it was so amused to see that he so often boggled the britches and caused so many bitches for so many traditional Nobler-puriest stunt grunters and then stand back and watch the show...when he sat that model out there on the line in the staging area. LL~ ~^ H^^
Ah...History was in the making...huh? H^^
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:47:15 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 09:22:18 PM »
Just to make Shultzie happy...
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 09:50:02 PM »
WOW! #^ <=
YES! THOSE TRULY WERE HAPPY DAZE-DAYS...THANKS RANDY FOR MAKING THIS DAY...ANOTHER HAPPY DAY!!!!  GREAT TO SEE THAT AAE AGAIN...THESE SHOTS ARE AWESOME...tell me who shot these or how you found them?
NEVER NUFF photos of beautiful CLPA art at its finest.

Dave Gierke and Kostecky really knew how to utilize EAGLES in their paint schemes...huh?
At the 68 nats...that model really drew a crowd of spectators. I often wish that over the years that we would see more scale like action in the CLPA circles...auto start...throttle take offs and touch and goes...stop and starts...then a free style pattern...and then ending with a power on landing...and finally a taxi up to a marked spot on the tarmac. Right in front of the panel of judges. Would that be COOL OR WHUT? H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 07:46:48 PM »
I think Tom Lay sent me some Polaroids and I scanned them. Not great, but shows the coolness of the plane.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 08:06:06 PM »
I flew one of Jim's Talon's that Tom McClain had possession of in Northern VA.
It seemed to fly light on the lines after flying my monster 67 ounce Intrepid X/L.
I liked the Ultimate Ukrainian logo on the wing.  Especially after spending three weeks
in the Ukraine!

Jim Pollock   H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here