News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:46:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TWO ICON GRUNTS FOR TODAY?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
TWO ICON GRUNTS FOR TODAY?
« on: November 10, 2006, 07:06:08 PM »

TWO ICON MODELMAKER-GRUNTS  OF THE DAY!!!

Here are two of our ICONs model builders...as mere children.

I found these two photos of our beloved model builders given to me by one of our close stunt model builders who worked closely with the Archives. He gave these to me after the young man on the right just recently passed away after almost 100 years on this earth. Both remained active model builders....up to the very end of their long and vital lives.

The young man shown on he left side of the photo was noted for his award winning scale control line & RC models and published many articles of his beautifully designed and crafted flying models.

Both men were Boeing Modelmakers here in Seattle waaaaay back in the 30's and both built and flew both control line and RC.

The young man holding the Pee-Shooter and Boeings 247 not only WORKED IN THE MODEL SHOPS...but played an active role in the design and flying part of the development faze of these milestone airplanes.
Their model expertise was also vital to the design of many other airplanes to follow..
A few months ago, the young man, on the right of the  photo, passed away. It was such a blessing and  a pleasure to see him continue to attend many of our Boeing Wind Tunnel annual Christmas dinners.
Last Christmas was his last Wind Tunnel model shop visit.

However, best of all, he was an amazingly glib and gifted historian that we enjoyed having lunch and quality time with...once every other month, where he shared many interesting stories and photos with the rest of us YOUNG, mostly BABY BOOMERS at our BI monthly RATS retired windtunnel engineering and modelmaking retired MODEL GRUNTS.
Talk about how fortunate I was have both of these modelmakers as friends. Both were so excited and never lost their love for any thing that has wings.

I WILL MENTION THE NAMES WITH ANOTHER PHOTO TOMORROW...IN THE MEANTIME...
No doubt, many already know their names...WITH THAT IN MIND?

GO FOR IT!!!AND TELL US WHO YOU THINK THESE ICONS shown in this beautifully restored B&W photo from the late 30's or early 40's?
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: TWO ICON GRUNTS FOR TODAY?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 10:41:10 AM »
OK, Shultzie, time for the answer!!!!   **)

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 11:42:34 PM »
Both these amazingly gifted ICONs of MODELING both started out their lives as Boeing Modelmakers...and both flew everything from free-flight to control line... and one went on to be perhaps one of the most prolific and published of any scale model builder and both earned many honors in local and national model meets for many years.

The 25 year old kid on the left is LOUIS H. PROCTOR
The 26 year old kid on the right is OTHELLO "PHIL" DICKART

The photos are not dated....but their job was to turn out two kinds of model planes for Boeing...
The wind tunnel models, used for engineers for testing flying characteristics of both military and commerical..but their gift that made them both LEGENDS FOREVER...were their world class exhibition models that were shown all over the world.

Phil was a long time friend to all of us modelmakers and returned many times a year on special holidays and after I retired...had the good fortune to sit and talk with him at many of our many luncheons and special Boeing events.
Although Phil was confined to a wheel chair, many of his long time co-workers, (who are dwindling fast) still managed to arrange for him to attend the meetings. Phil's mind, even to the very last hour....was clear bright...and was like a living time machine. Almost a photographic memory....(not unlike Bob Parker who we roasted on this GRUNT OF THE DAY...THE OTHER DAY!

The attached photo below is another photo of these two amazing ICONS OF MODELING.
Phil on the left and Lou on the right... (The Boeing Clipper project)
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 11:55:25 PM »
By the way...
Phil and Lou were both part of a project build team that was called
"THE BOEING MODEL BOYS!"
As far as I know...now that Phil Dickart and Lou are gone...only two of the original MODEL BOEING ARE ALIVE TODAY....but their contributions will live on forever in those of us who, like them...until we all meet again some day on the other side!
I would bet a bunch...that when LOU and PHIL were picked up by the "swing-low-sweet chariot's...I am sure both would have asked to see the maintence record and flight release certificate, before hoppin-aboard  that " Without wings,Chariot in the mornin'Lord!"

Only the amazingly gifted RALPH JOHNSON of Puyallup and ROBERT SMOKER of Enumclaw are still with us from the original Model Boys Team and how fortunate that we are to still enjoy the company of Ralph Johnson...who we still see every other month at our RATs club.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 10:04:50 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 10:37:03 PM »
Isn't it really something to see and talk to the guys that really did it? These guys are building the models to develop the 314 and the 247! These are aviation pioneers. great shots, Don. We are lucky guys for just knowing people like this.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here