News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:43:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Today is JERRY McMILLIN DAY  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Today is JERRY McMILLIN DAY
« on: November 02, 2006, 03:15:12 PM »
Yesterday.....I self proclaimed as "STUNT DADDY-BOB EMMETT DAY"
Anyone lurking here on line would like to proclaim today with another stunt grunt...that helped as a teacher, mentor or just a friend who helped keep you alive and interested in precision arobatics.

If so....post a photo of them...with a little note asking you to say a few words about the STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 04:28:58 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: TODAY IS JERRY MCMILLIN DAY
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 09:02:51 PM »
Hummmm?
ONLY A FEW HOURS LEFT???
 :!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 04:31:12 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: Yesterday, was BOB EMMETT DAY!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 09:12:24 PM »
I just would like to comment on my Dad, Jerry McMillin.

He taught me to fly models, how to build, paint and taught me drive, rebuild engines, and to fly full size airplanes. And tie my shoes.

Great coach, good guy. Thanks Dad.

Chris...

Picture of Jerry McMillin, 1968 in Southern California with the AMA-68 Shark derivitive. Torp .45 with a then new innovation, a Spin-A-Flow muffler.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 04:28:14 PM »
Great shot of your Dad!....What great memories this photo brings back...YES!
TODAY WOULD BE A GREAT DAY TO PROCLAIM THIS DAY AS

"JERRY McMILLIN DAY"

Bye the way....gang! I think this old photo taken of Jerry and Chris together. This shot without question, to this old stuntgrunt should be rated as the top "POSTER CHILD" for everything great and good about model building and character building. So many of us have long enjoyed seeing this photo from time to time, but it still makes ya feel that we have all been so blessed by sooooo many great humanbeings in our lives that truly made this place a betta' place.

"Gang, look at the face on this little son....Yes! That is our Chris, as a young child. Give my best to one great human being that has given so much to modelers over the years...and those who just plain love airplanes..
Don Shultz

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: Today is JERRY McMILLIN DAY
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 11:33:06 PM »
Thanks Don,
Gosh, you made me blush.
I'll send a link to Dad, he has dial-up so he might have to wait a while to download the pic!
Chris...

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 11:50:35 PM »
I do love that picture!  Chris is lucky to have had Jerry has his Dad.

I have a son who also flys *precision aerobatics* of the U-Control style, and it makes me have a warm feeling to see others who have had the opportunity to do the same..

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 11:56:57 AM »
Jerry Mcmillan was your dad !!! Holy smokes.  Here I was standing right next to you at a contest in Southern Cal with your Eagle and I had no idea that this is Jerry Mcmillan's son. How cool.  x:
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 12:21:19 AM »
Great shot of your Dad!....What great memories this photo brings back...YES!
TODAY WOULD BE A GREAT DAY TO PROCLAIM THIS DAY AS

"JERRY McMILLIN DAY"

Bye the way....gang! I think this old photo taken of Jerry and Chris together. This shot without question, to this old stuntgrunt should be rated as the top "POSTER CHILD" for everything great and good about model building and character building. So many of us have long enjoyed seeing this photo from time to time, but it still makes ya feel that we have all been so blessed by sooooo many great humanbeings in our lives that truly made this place a betta' place.

"Gang, look at the face on this little son....Yes! That is our Chris, as a young child. Give my best to one great human being that has given so much to modelers over the years...and those who just plain love airplanes..

Hey Chris! What airplane is that? Heck of a good photo. Say "Hello" to your Dad and your Mom for me.
    One of these days, we'll have to sit down and have a great photograph viewing session. Might take a whole weekend!
   My best to the rest of your family also.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 11:09:32 AM »
Bill and Milton,
Thanks for the thoughts, I am fortunate!

Dan,
That is Dad's Smoothie. No one knows how much it weighs, but he flew it until he flew it well. It has gear mounted in the wings, assymetrically. Outboard farther from the fuse. The rudder looks like a Thunderbolt, kinda, and the stab tips were rounded off. It is from a kit, and hangs in my garage.
Thanks, I'll tell everyone.
Chris...

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 03:17:31 PM »
This photo was attached to another post..
but Chris, just in case u missed this.
Look at the expression on both their faces....One of pain and agony...and the other one of your Dad's look of bewilderment...and U can just hear the wheels in his head saying "GADS! THOSE LIGHT WEIGHT I BEAMERS...REALLY COME APART?"  ~^
Don Shultz

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 10:41:05 PM »
Don,
You should see my look of astonishment at Dads sunglasses!
I remember that Playboy, turned to dust. What a bummer. Ole Roger was a character.
You're right about the thought pattern, "...those flimsy I-beam jobs just can't take a crash."
Chris...

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 01:20:54 PM »
Bill and Milton,
Thanks for the thoughts, I am fortunate!

Dan,
That is Dad's Smoothie. No one knows how much it weighs, but he flew it until he flew it well. It has gear mounted in the wings, assymetrically. Outboard farther from the fuse. The rudder looks like a Thunderbolt, kinda, and the stab tips were rounded off. It is from a kit, and hangs in my garage.
Thanks, I'll tell everyone.
Chris...

Chris,

I will always remember your dad and that Smoothie that he flew.  If I remember, it was not particularly light.  In fact, it was just plain heavy, but your dad flew it very well.  Everybody was amazed that he could make it fly as well as it did.  He was quite competitive with that.  Jerry and I flew together often when you all lived in Southern California.  I was fortunate that he attended the 68 Nats in Olathe and you were with him.   That is the Nats that has recently been discussed here on these forums with photos of Jerry Worth and Jim Kostecky.  Anyway, your dad sort of became my coach and was a big help getting me through that Nats.  I know one practice day, he convinced me that the wind had gone down while we were at lunch and that it would be OK to fly.  It was one of those times when once in the air, the wind was so bad you wonder how you will get the airplane on the ground after the engine stopped.  I landed OK.  Bob Gieseke watched and just walked away, shaking his head.  I told your dad that I really appreciated his advice.

I will have to pull out a picture of the two of you at that Nats.  (You were younger then.)

There was one time I was flying on Delta when the DC-10's were new.  As the Captain, Jerry invited me and my companion to first class, and then invited me to set in the cocpit for most of the flight from LA to DC.  (This was some time ago before locked cockpit doors.)

Great memories.

Keith Trostle
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 10:47:28 PM by Trostle »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 03:59:54 PM »
Hey Keith....
Here is that shot of you...with your "Kansas Windmeter" and that beautiful stunt model of yours...that always seem to glean a crowd around it.

HEY GANG! NO LIE...Although Keith in leaning into the wind....THAT IS NOT A FLAG OF SURRENDER..but just a rag to wipe the sweat off his brow and also served as a Kansas windmeter for  that first tune up flight the morn. of the first round of flights.

"By the way....the reason Bob Gieske was shaking his head...he decided that morning to not put in a tune up flight...but save that beautiful Nobler of his...for the real thing later that day.
Keith...DIDN'T JIM KOSTECKY FINALLY END UP IN SECOND PLACE? Remember the hassell that so many flyers decided to not fly due to the high winds...and many tried in vain to have that first round scores...THROWN OUT????
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 04:27:52 PM »
Chris,

I will always remember your dad and that Smoothie that he flew.  If I remember, it was not particularly light.  In fact, it was just plain heavy, but your dad flew it very well.  Everybody was amazed that he could make it fly as well as it did.  He was quite competitive with that.  Jerry and I flew together often when you all lived in Southern California.  I was fortunate that he attended the 68 Nats in Olathe and you were with him.   That is the Nats that has recently been discussed here on these forums with photos of Jerry Worth and Jim Kostecky.  Anyway, your dad sort of became my coach and was a big help getting me through that Nats.  I know one practice day, he convinced me that the wind had gone down while we were at lunch and that it would be OK to fly.  It was one of those times when once in the air, the wind was so bad you wonder how you will get the airplane on the ground after the engine stopped.  I landed OK.  Bob Gieseke watched and just walked away, shaking his head.  I told your dad that I really appreciated his advice.

I will have to pull out a picture of the two of you at that Nats.  (You were younger then.)

There was one time I was flying on Delta when the DC-10's were new.  As the Captain, Jerry invited me and my companion to first class, and then invited me to set in the cocpit for most of the flight from LA to DC.  (This was some time ago before locked cocpit doors.)

Great memories.

Keith Trostle

HEY CHRIS...Here is a photo of you and your Dad, with Mike Stott and The VanLoomeistro'  ;D
That look on your face???:) It has that????
 Hey Dad! I wanna' n'ice cream cone appearence?
Don Shultz

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 06:45:31 PM »
Hey Keith....

DIDN'T JIM KOSTECKY FINALLY END UP IN SECOND PLACE? Remember the hassell that so many flyers decided to not fly due to the high winds...and many tried in vain to have that first round scores...THROWN OUT????

Don,

Thanks for posting that picture. 

At that 68 Olathe Nats, Bob Gieseke was 1st, Jim Kostecky was 2nd, Jerry Worth was 3rd and Lew McFarland was 4th.

The "hassel" at that Nats was due to the scheduling and poor administration more than anything.  The qualifications and finals were all scheduled to be completed in one day.  There were two qualification circles where 5 fnalists would be taken from each circle based on the single best of two flights.  There was not much control or no planning on how people would be assigned to circles.  From my file, one circle had 21 flyers, the other had 17.  Some people completed their second flights before some people even had their models processed.  The posted scores were changing throughout the day as errors were continuously being found in the tabulation area.

Because of the tabulation errors, the Event Director at least did one thing right by insisting all of the scores be checked before the finals rounds started.  Some people who had fairly high scores during the day ended up not even qualifying after everything was checked.  The first found of flights during that finals started at about 5:00 PM and finished at around 7:00 at which time the Navy judges had had enough and walked off the field saying they were through.  Besides, it was going to be dark soon.  Then to compound the problem, the ED left the field stating something like he no longer had anything to do with the Open Stunt Finals.

This was the time that Art Adamisin volunteered to put a finals round together.  I do not know what Art did with the AMA, but he organized the finals round for the next day.  I believe he was able to get some new Navy judges.  Anyway, scores from that first round of the finals that evening were discarded and the two finals rounds were flown the next day.  The placings were determined by the single best flight of those two finals flights.  Scoreing seemed eratic as some second flights that day which were noticeably better than the first were scored much worse.  Anyway, the event was completed with the feeling that the contest left much to be desired.

I have often mentioned that had it not been for the initiative of Art Adamisin, what happened at that Olathe Nats could well have been the beginning of the end of the CLPA event as we knew it then and as it has since evolved.  We all owe Art a great amount of gratitude for his contributions to CLPA and particularly for what he did that Summer in Olathe, Kansas.

Don, from my letter that I sent to a friend immediately after that Nats, I wrote:

"Don Shultz flew and almost made the finals.  People were talking about his flying which was reported to be very good."  I do not know if you realize that you were on the circle with the most pilots and four of the finalists from that circle were in the top six after the finals were completed. With different judges and with a bit more organization, it might have been a lot more satisfying contest for you.

Sorry to be using Jerry McMillin's thread for this, but a question was asked and this seemed to be the logical place to post my response.

Keith Trostle

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 06:49:05 PM »
HEY CHRIS...Here is a photo of you and your Dad, with Mike Stott and The VanLoomeistro'  ;D
That look on your face???:) It has that????
 Hey Dad! I wanna' n'ice cream cone appearence?

Actually, the look on Chris' face is his concern about how long it will be before he gets to the vending machines for his carton(s) of chocolate milk.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 08:25:27 PM »
Thanks for the clarification about the nationals...I HAD NO IDEA THAT IT WAS SO MESSED UP?
I did take photos of those wild n' weirdly wacky scores that were posted on those chalk reader boards.
I'll dig them up out of my slide files....although as we know, they really don't mean much.

TOMORROW I THINK WE SHOULD POST "BIG ART AD' FOR GRUNT OF THE DAY...OR MAYBE EVEN GRUNT OF THE YEARS...
WOW!!!
He really gave soooooooooomuch to so many of us...we were so fortunate!
What an ICON!
Don Shultz

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 11:17:29 AM »
Actually, the look on Chris' face is his concern about how long it will be before he gets to the vending machines for his carton(s) of chocolate milk.

Found out!

At the Navy Nats one could opt for things on the Nats entry form like barracks sleeping facility and chow hall meals.

Navy chow halls had these huge stainless coolers (especially huge when you are 9) of milk, white and chocolate. Keith saw me at the milk cooler a lot.

Hey, that was my first flying Nats. I was fourth in AMA Racer and about 200th in 1/2A ProtoProfile Speed, the junior only speed event. I flew my Goldberg Little Wizard witha Tee Dee 051 (red case) and one of those cool red tank mounts, red and red. Those were the days!

Chris...

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 11:44:48 AM »
Chris,

There was one time I was flying on Delta when the DC-10's were new.  As the Captain, Jerry invited me and my companion to first class, and then invited me to set in the cocpit for most of the flight from LA to DC.  (This was some time ago before locked cockpit doors.)

Great memories.

Keith Trostle

Thanks for the great comments, Keith,

I remember that Dad always thought you were the best flyer in SoCal. I always thought of your Focke Wulf as the best model around. I'll never forget your offering me your '66 Nats ship and I looking at my dad as to ask if it was Ok and he said NO! I probably would've learned the whole pattern on that airplane! What was Dad thinking!

Gieseke probably was a bit impressed, psych-out is a lot in the event anyway. Bob is a nice guy, and always seems level headed about what things really are. I'm sure he was convinced you were a contender!

I flew AMA Cubs at Olathe '68, and the wind was so strongI practically had to build a new one when I got to the flying hangar, as the building hangar was across a big ramp. I tried to shield the rubber powered model from the wind with my body, and walk from the parked car rows to protect the model. It was totalled by the time I got there. I think I built a new wing, and used a technique from an older kid of moving the wing back to the stab so I wouldn't have to use clay to balance it. The rest was repaired and the flights were great. I was fourth, from tears to smiles. I wonder who the older kid was?

(Rick Loomis built his Fokker Tri Plane in the car from SoCal to Kansas. He finished it in the hangar, and performed the test flights on the ramp, at night, during a huge full harvest moon. It was calm that night and the moon was huge. Rick cruised it around for a few laps and then looped it around that moon!)

I'd love to see any pics you have, Keith. Thanks.

I know you probably knew this, Dad was a captain for TWA, as eventually was I. We had the L-1011 Tri-Star. That was probably what you flew to Dulles. I'm glad you got to experience that, Keith. Those old ships had big, roomy cockpits and comfy jumpseats, the one behind the Captain had fabulous visibility out of the huge windows on the Lockheed. I got to fly as Dad's Flight Engineer on the L-1011 before he retired. I didn't fly on his retirement flight because he was then on the 747 based in New York. The locked door thing makes it so that even the Flight Attendants don't want to come in anymore, and they are part of the crew!

Thanks for the stories, see you at VSC.

Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here