News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:36:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: the late "Doc" Dona's ...CLPA Hurricane remembered and revisited.  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Waaay back in 1965...My friend and family doctor from Kent Wa. practice was filled with so many of my modeling friends in those days.
He was truly a friend of our family for many years until his passing. (He even made house calls a few times during those days..to check on my latest stunt model building project or to glean a few bottles and cans of my Pactra-Perk gift packages of free test batches of the latest Aero-Gloss formulas.
I too enjoyed his extensive Library of Aircraft Books that ran the full length of one wall. I never stopped in for a "Doctors office call or check up"...without bringing him one of my own collection of airplane books for him to take home.
We traded back n' forth... model plane books, magazines right up until the last couple of months before he crossed UP and OVER to where the angels fly..between the earth n' sky!
DOC!
Truly made this life a better place and made such a difference to soooo many human beings.
When I saw these two slides today...WOW! What memories these  brought back.
Attached is his then....very small son who just like his Daddy...loved EVERYTHING THAT HATH WINGS!

Don Shultz

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: the late "Doc" Dona's ...CLPA Hurricane remembered and revisited.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 06:31:36 PM »
That is a nice plane.  One question....why did his dad make him wear that hat that was concreted into the runway....stop him from being dragged around the circle? LL~ H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:36:06 PM »
Doc Dona was my physician for awhile. I remember calling him on a Saturday, after wrapping my foot around the footpeg on my Yamadinger while chasing a free flight. Drat those rocks hiding in the prairie grass! Doc met me at his office in Kent and wrapped up the ruined foot. Didn't know that Doc ever built such a nice Veco Hurricane, however. Steve Dona is deeply involved in the SAM 8 group.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 09:11:26 PM »
Doc Dona was my physician for awhile. I remember calling him on a Saturday, after wrapping my foot around the footpeg on my Yamadinger while chasing a free flight. Drat those rocks hiding in the prairie grass! Doc met me at his office in Kent and wrapped up the ruined foot. Didn't know that Doc ever built such a nice Veco Hurricane, however. Steve Dona is deeply involved in the SAM 8 group.  H^^ Steve
Steve was such a fun little guy and always so helpful. I wish I could tell him just how lucky I was to have Doc as a friend.
Thanks so much for the info Steve!
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Some of the NW Skyraiders are also involved with SAM 8, so you can contact Steve Dona through them. Try Homer Smith, Dave Gardner, Bob Einhaus, etc.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 01:57:49 PM »
Thanks again...Steve!

I bet he would enjoy seeing himself as a kiddie...(Now that I remember...I think I gave some of the slides from that roll to Doc a few weeks after the Albany contest was over...because I have looked throughout my old slide trays and couldn't find them anywhere.
I remember Doc shakin his head when he saw that everyone of the slides that I took of him that day....showed him with a cig' hangin out of his mouth. ~^
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here