News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:58:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stilletto Files  (Read 2211 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Stilletto Files
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:01:12 AM »
Just finished the last installment(he says) of the Stilleto Files by Les McDonald.  Finally got to meet the man at the 2004 Worlds in Muncie.  Then again this year at VSC.  He is a real gentleman.  But, as he states in his writings to be a Champion takes a lot of dedication.  It also takes dedication to become good at anything.  As I closed the issue of Stunt News I got to thinking(I know I shouldn't do it) about my time trying to get decent at F2C.  Bill Wright and Jim Dunkin were our mentors.  I went thru a few Super Tigres getting the hang of starting and setting diesels.  Then it was the Rossi's.  I used Bill's designs for the planes.  I went thru 3 pilots.  The first one didn't last that long as found out how much time it took to get good.  The second one stayed with me a while and was the machinest.  The last one didn''t show up in Dayton in 76 and I was flying according to what had been propose for flying in our NATS.  A young man stepped in and flew for me.  After watching my Nelson go rolling across the tarmac I was then told that I was DQ'd because he was not my regular pilot.  I quit then and there being serious about racing.

Then my son came along and we tried to get good.  But, it always seemed something would happen that put us out of the money.  His first NATS I think he got a third in mouse with Jim Lee pitting.  I was asked to be on the jury for F2C.  Then when he got to be of Senior age it was hard getting practice with his stuff and my working all the time.  We won our fair share in local comp.  My thanks go to Mike Tallman for coaching JJ on piloting the racing planes.  But Les at the end of his article said his new wife told him to build a plane.  As he also stated she did not know what she was asking.  I myself keep saying it is for fun.  Missed a lot of family doings with contests and such.  Will never make it up no matter hard I try.  Anyway I hope some of you got as much out of Les' story as I did. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Stilletto Files
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:41:48 PM »
Doc, it's also important to get a break from the family once in awhile. Helps you to maintain your sanity and be a nicer Dad and huz-bum. Well, that's one viewpoint. It would also be nice to send the ole lady away for a few months at a time.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:50:42 PM »
Where are they?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 01:37:58 AM »
The Stiletto Files was a series Les published in Stunt News last year.  5 or 6 installments, and it is great reading.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
The articles should be in the PAMPA archives.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:52:19 AM »
Thanks guys! H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here