News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:27:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some pics from the '67 Team Trials  (Read 16571 times)

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Some pics from the '67 Team Trials
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:16:18 PM »
Buder Park, St. Louis Sept. 1967

I'll add more as they're resized.  Pictures from my friend and TT contestant Larry Murphy. Bill

ps Guess the plane behind Bill Werwage's Ares and I'll buy you lunch when you come to Las Vegas.

pps  Conspicuous in it's absense is the pipe!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:03:13 PM by Bill Ervin »

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Some pics from the '67 Team Trials
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »
I think the plane in the background is Greg Zajack's Pegasus.  If that's correct then that's Greg standing behind it or that's him kneeling with his back to us.  In the second pic is my friends mystery plane in the background facing Greg's Pegasus.  I'm also guessing that the trike-geared plane in the foreground is Jim Kostecky's Formula S.  The light base color is really throwing me off.

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:59:19 PM »
I'll need some help with the first picture.  Who is the gentleman launching Jim's Formula S?  Hold on, just did a double take, that's not a Formula S!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:09:06 PM »
Thanks Bill...
Thanks for scanning these shots....and sharing them with everyone.

Even though I took lots of shots of the nats...in 67.
I can't tell whether or not that was Jim Kostecky's Formula or not?...The tail fin does not look familiar to me???
TIME FLIES WHEN WE ARE HAVIN TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMUCH FUN HUH? ;D H^^ LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:19:32 PM »
More to come Don!  Like it or not I'm lumping you in with all the other modeling heroes of my youth.  A sincere thank you for the fond memories.  The only thing I could offer in return is possibly a "ride" on my 8.5 meter power kite if you're ever in town!  Or maybe a flight or two with the Ringmaster...

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:07:11 PM »
Jim Silhavy and Gypsy.  It's interesting to note that my friend Larry said Jim hadn't yet named this famous plane at the time these pics were taken.

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:14:51 PM »
Steve Wooley 3rd, Bob Gieseke 1st, Jim Silhavy 2nd

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 11:19:48 PM »
couple shots of Buder Park

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 11:28:16 PM »
On page 45 of the February 1968 issue of AAM is my friend Larry "Sonny" Murphy flying his 1967 TT plane during one of his official flights.  He placed 13th.  Bravo Larry!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:18:00 PM by Bill Ervin »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »
Bill,  Have not heard from you in a long time.   Great pics of Buder back in the day.   The speed cage is still there, but the control tower is gone.   The circle carrier strip is almost under the grass.   The next circle is a big square pad.  You would not know the place now if you ever get there again.   What with the highway changes I got lost when I returned after not flying there since the 80's.  Never forget my first team trials there.  Stayed at the Hill Top Inn which is no longer in existence.   Maybe we can get someone to post up dated pictures of Buder Park.  Thanks for the pics.  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 10:10:33 AM »
Good to be back Doc!  Some new C/L activity going on here in Las Vegas, we have a new club, Las Vegas Circle Burners, and are working on a new permanent flying site all thanks to the hard work of Steve and Rueben McBride.  Classic planes are under construction by a couple members, I foresee a trip to Tucson in a few months.  Maybe I'll finally get the opportunity to shake your hand.  Bill

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 02:11:54 PM »
"WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS...STAYS IN VEGAS?"  H^^
Bill..AGAIN A HUGE THANKS...Really enjoyed those scanned photos...hopefully you can take some shots of modeling that is going on in your neck of the woods.
By the way...
I wonder if this might  be one of the last photos taken of Steve. So few photos of Steve during these team trials?
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 04:30:14 PM »
Shultzie,
Thanks for showing these pictures. I was one of the judges at that Team Trials. Brings back many memories. Also shows things that I have forgotten.

My only regret was that being a judge, I was not able to socialize as much as I would have liked.  I have always felt that as a judge I should only socialize when it was over.
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »
Shultzie,
Thanks for showing these pictures. I was one of the judges at that Team Trials. Brings back many memories. Also shows things that I have forgotten.

My only regret was that being a judge, I was not able to socialize as much as I would have liked.  I have always felt that as a judge I should only socialize when it was over.
A REALLY HUGE VOTE OF THANKS GO TO BILL ERVINS for saving these beautiful old photos and best of all taking the time to scan and share these  wonderful old photos of his with us.Even betta'...Bill's memories seem much vivid than my memories...(sadly from too many years of sniffing Aerogloss and Rainier BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER brewskis....and limited Ozarks gene pool.  H^^ LL~
Don Shultz

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Bet most people dont know that Steve was a good speed and free flight flyer  placing in both at some of the early KOI's
rad racer

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 01:03:59 PM »
   Hi Doc;
    I got your PM messages. I had not seen this thread, I don't have much time to spend on the other forums on the site, I would NEVER get anything done, and don't get any new models built now as it is! Very cool pictures, though. I'll make a note of the direction the pics were taken, and take new ones from the same spot. Then I can send them to someone who knows what they are doing with a computer and post them. Buder has changed a bit! The speed circle still stands, the tower is gone, and the biggest change is LOTS more trees and vegetation!
    Stay tuned for further developments,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 04:27:08 AM »
Really cool pics!  I pretty much grew up there.  Would have been neat to be there and see the place in its prime.

I'll help dad out a bit and at least post some enhanced sattilite images:

- I remember when the road to the CL field was still gravel.  It is now paved

-I also remember when they took out the center "doughnut" and replaced it with a square pad. It drains pretty well and leaves just a few puddles after the rain. The other doughnut is still there.  At the Broken Arrow contest in September, Old Time is typically flown on that circle. Seems fitting

-The carrier deck has in fact settled a bit and the grass must be cut pretty short to use it.

-The speed circle, one of the few fixed speed cages remaining as I understand, received a concrete inner circle.  The outer circle has been resurfaced and smothed out.  The Laffayette Esquadrille hold an annual speed contest there.  Lots of national-level speed guys come to it as a shake-down prior to the Nat's. They love the site.

-not sure if the RC field existed back then or knows what it looked like, but of course it's there now.  There is also a series of soccer fields at the park.  Both he LE and GLSMA fought tooth and nail to keep from losing the field to soccer and baseball fields.

-of course the cool tower isn't there anymore, the original pavilion is gone.  And there is allot more trees.  Wind coming from every direction gets churned up in the trees and makes for interesting flying.

If I get home this summer, and dad doesn't beat me to it, I'll get those comparison shots.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 10:16:24 AM »
Yes the RC field was on further in the park.   I remember the road as being kind of U-shaped with part of it going down by the houses along the small river.   My first Team Trials was at Buder.   My son's first contest was at Buder.  Boy that has been a long time ago.  I've competed in Carrier, Racing and Stunt there.  Hope to make it there for sure this summer.  Was also there when the industrial area power was taken out by a wayward Carrier plane.  Wish I could remember all the people I met there, especially when the phone company had me attending a school in St Louis.  Boy times flies when a person reaches my age.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 05:57:44 AM »
Sean,
Thanks for the pictures from above. It looks strange to see the square pad. And a paved road in... wow. The old tower sort of added class. It is a shame that it is long gone.
AMA 7544

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 10:05:31 PM »

Way cool old photos! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 07:02:01 PM »
Somehow I missed this thread until tonight.
This was the Golden Age, when stunt was King of Model Planes, snapshots that I could only dream about-----------------
I have always said "Never look back" but I'm rethinking those words now.
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 12:16:41 PM »
Just don't pick up the handle again.   You will be hooked again.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here