News:

• May 15, 2024, 09:38:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No Skin off My Nose  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Leo Mehl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
No Skin off My Nose
« on: November 04, 2007, 05:17:51 PM »
As you know I always preach about us older gentlemen using plastic props and the ensuing danger of such practise. Well on Friday a friend of mine said here, try this  plastc prop. I put it on my engine and really tightend it down. When I went to start my engine I got a backfire and spinner prop and everyting attached to said engine decided it was going to attact my face. Now I usually dont worry about my face for obviuos reasons, but the prop did cut my nose. If you didn't already know my nose is bassically the promanate part of my face. I had eye protection but no way was this gigantic featue out of Danger. It will heal and it will be forgotten but bleeding while in the flying circle is not my favorite way to spend a wonderful afternoon. ~^ ~^ ~^ ~^ ~^ HB~>

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: No Skin off My Nose
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 06:19:12 PM »
Should be good for an episode of "Nip Tuck". Here's hoping we'll recognize you next Spring, Leo!  LL~

Personally, I think the prop driver/spinner backplate/prop connection is a major problem that needs some thought and fixin', for our safety and also to prevent having to take attempts on officials. The little abrasive (both sides) discs that come with the Great Planes spinners work pretty well, but I still think there's a better way. Maybe a good topic for the SN Safety Columnist?  D>K  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 09:17:33 PM »
As you know I always preach about us older gentlemen using plastic props and the ensuing danger of such practise. Well on Friday a friend of mine said here, try this  plastc prop. I put it on my engine and really tightend it down. When I went to start my engine I got a backfire and spinner prop and everyting attached to said engine decided it was going to attact my face. Now I usually dont worry about my face for obviuos reasons, but the prop did cut my nose. If you didn't already know my nose is bassically the promanate part of my face. I had eye protection but no way was this gigantic featue out of Danger. It will heal and it will be forgotten but bleeding while in the flying circle is not my favorite way to spend a wonderful afternoon. ~^ ~^ ~^ ~^ ~^ HB~>
Leo...HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL! MY BROTHA!!!! N'MAY THE GOOD LORD TAKE A LIKING TO YOU...INSTEAD OF THE LICKIN' YOU GOT THE OTHER DAY!
Leo!
Do you remember that 1st old Merco 35 that I had in my Sting Ray.....That SUKKKA no matter what fuel or plug combo..after the first flip: that prop would buck back and forth...about a 3/4 of a dozen pops before it would start to run in the right direction.
However...after about a gallon of Testors 39...All I had to do was to "flip the prop BACKWARDS...and it would  FIRE THE FIRST FLIP AND RUN LIKE A CHAMP! (I always had a suspect feeling that it was unortho double  head mounting brackets braces that ran to the firewall. That was Bob Gialdini's trademark....and I wondered if he too had that same strange rocking back and forth after the first flip in the start up.

I always got lots of laughs from that quirky Merco.....from the peanut gallery of fellow grunt-stunt heads! In a way....almost like that Merco had a mean spirited streak...just waiting for me to stick the heel of my hand back into the spinning prop to stop it and reflip it the right direction.

Leo...Was it Dirty Dan that used to stop his toootin-screamin combat motors with the heel of his hand when they would sometime start running backwards after the first flip. Amazing that I never saw him ever draw a drop of blood that way. He claimed due to the props pitch it was never a problem.....uhhhh?
Wasn't that Dirty D that we saw with 3 stitched in his tongue...after he made a bet with Howard Rush that he could actually STOP A RUNNING FAN WITH HIS TONGUE WITH OUT GETTING A SCRATCH!!!

LEO....DIRTY D....HOWARD, WALKER..COME ON LL~ LL~!!! IS THAT STORY REALLY TRUE?????
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 09:04:07 PM »
Let's face it, I don't like composit props. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ HB~>

Offline SQ8s

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 10:59:13 PM »
LEO...It don't matter ...wood, carbon fiber, glass, iron, and even concrete...you can get the dang thing thighten.........you gots' to use a wrench... VD~
Scott Riese

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 09:15:46 AM »
LEO...It don't matter ...wood, carbon fiber, glass, iron, and even concrete...you can get the dang thing thighten.........you gots' to use a wrench... VD~
UI tightend the prop with a six inch whrench and real tight to. That's probably why it came clear off. Anyway nose has healed and only thing hert was my pride. Don't use those dang plastic props!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 06:53:49 PM »
Where were the grusome pictures?  I mean if sliced up fingers can be posted, why not puntured noses.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 09:22:20 AM »
Where were the grusome pictures?  I mean if sliced up fingers can be posted, why not puntured noses.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
Nobody is interested in taking pictures of this old nose. Besides I think I made a big deal out of a little nick. Seeing it's winter in the northwest it gives us all something to talk about. The Old guy. Leo  HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Jerry Olson

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 03:18:08 AM »
Well Leo, if you didn't give us so much material, we wouldn't have so much to say.  It seems as winter approaches we have nothing else to do but maim ourselves and dance.
Jerry Olson
Clackamas, Oregon

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 09:01:38 AM »
Leo,
come on now, YOu make it sound like you live in the great white north, sheesh over there in Portiland it gets down to what , maybe a frigid 50 degrees? Heck we dont even bother over here till its below freezing,, but its now building time, when its warm enough, its raining, or blowing,, so time to build,, the new world beater is on the bench!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 09:16:11 AM »
What secret weapon are you building this year. We need pictures! HB~> HB~>

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 06:44:13 PM »
Can I come live with you guys?  Its already been sown in the low 30's the first part of this week.  Today went to church without a coat.  Won't move as Kansas does give you a variety in weather.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 10:31:32 PM »
Leo,
its top secret,,
Ok so sympathy will get you everywhere. Its a bf 109 based stunter. Full builtup fuse. 637 square inchs of wing and power is to be either my Magnum .53 or ST .56 depending on how much nose weight it ends up needing lol. For those who follow along this sort of thing, the Tail Volume Coefficient is right at .500 which by all accounts should make it pretty stellar for stability and turn capability. I just finished building the wing tonight, and sans the flaps and tips, with all controls installed, the wing is right at 9.5 oz. I also have my profile bf 109 that I actually built last year but didnt finish after I decided to fly only shrinkwrapped airplanes for the year. It only needs paint pretty much.
I added a pict of the bellcrank mount. dont really have any more picts besides this for now.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 10:25:59 AM »
Leo,
its top secret,,
Ok so sympathy will get you everywhere. Its a bf 109 based stunter. Full builtup fuse. 637 square inchs of wing and power is to be either my Magnum .53 or ST .56 depending on how much nose weight it ends up needing lol. For those who follow along this sort of thing, the Tail Volume Coefficient is right at .500 which by all accounts should make it pretty stellar for stability and turn capability. I just finished building the wing tonight, and sans the flaps and tips, with all controls installed, the wing is right at 9.5 oz. I also have my profile bf 109 that I actually built last year but didnt finish after I decided to fly only shrinkwrapped airplanes for the year. It only needs paint pretty much.
I added a pict of the bellcrank mount. dont really have any more picts besides this for now.
Mark, I lived in Spokane for 4 years and 26 years in Northeast Montana. Now I know what cold is and that is why I moved to Oregon. I like to be warm!!also this is the reason I got married in Montana. Cold weather does make me very uncomfortable. So if you want to stay warm you have to move in the right direction. Oh and By the way glad to see you are building because Richard is learning the pattern and he is flying very well. Is that good news or what. Have a good day. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ HB~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here