News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:17:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smells that bring you back  (Read 43218 times)

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Smells that bring you back
« on: December 17, 2013, 05:37:43 PM »
Today, I started shaping a new cowl for an updated Predator. This cowl is the permanent cowl on the very front of the fuselage. I used a block of wood given to me by the moderator of this section, Don Shultz. Thanks Don once again! Now, the interesting part. When I started sawing it up the smell of that wood took me back 23 years to that assembly building where the B-17's were assembled in WW2. When I worked at Boeing, on one job, I had to go to this building as one of our test articles were being assembled there. The smell was intense then. It was rare to smell wood at a modern aircraft manufacturing plant. Then my thoughts shifted to another building at Boeing (upstairs west of the 9-101 building) where many wooden pallets were stored that contained very old "things" that Boeing saw fit to still keep. Then my thoughts drifted to when I was in high school building one of numerous stunt planes. I could clearly remember carving and sanding on the top block of a Skylark. All nice memories!

It is amazing what a single small can do to one's memory. It's also funny that just this block of wood created that smell. I carved blocks for past planes recently and didn't get that smell. Don, where did that wood come from that you gave me?  I have an idea, but can you fill me in where it originated?

Thanks

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Smells that bring you back
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 10:30:42 AM »
Smell IS a very strong memory trigger. Some balsa is very odiferous or fragrant depending on the smeller, just like old nitrate vss butyrate etc. There seems to be a smell generated by balsa dust when using a belt sander or band saw. This smell always takes me back to my Dad's basement when I was working on a Jetco Thermic 72. I was using his then new Craftsman stationary belt sander to shape the pod. I guess its something to do with the friction heat that produces this smell because hand sanding does not seem to produce it.

There are other memories spurred for me too like Honeysuckle perfume, but I won't expand on that!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Online John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 01:51:11 PM »
Folks:

When I was a kid in the 1950s, before I ever smoked, I used to notice the different smells of all the brands of balsa cement you could get then.  In England, the ones I remember buying were KeilKraft, Lepage's, FROG Universal, Joy-Plane, O'My, HMG and the daddy of them all, Britfix.  This came in a tube with very fancy printing on it in several colours, and the smell... it was just like apples that were very ripe, almost overripe - utterly delightful.  Then Britfix disappeared and was replaced by Humbrol, which smelt just the same as most of the others.  A pity.

Happy New Year

John
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »
Fascinating subject.  Although I don't have any of them here, I'd bet if someone blindfolded me then passed samples under my nose of Ambroid, Comet, Testors Formula A or Formula B, SigMent and Duco, I could tell you which was which.

On the other hand, that would be considered "sniffing glue", huh?  %^@

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 09:50:01 AM »
What I just thought after seeing Mike's post , was how many times I would be sitting in class chewing glue off my fingers.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 12:52:02 PM »
What I just thought after seeing Mike's post , was how many times I would be sitting in class chewing glue off my fingers.
Or in the workshop wiping glue on my pants, drove my mom nuts!!!!
The one I remember the most is the SHOE POLISH aroma from high nitro fuel.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »

HAHAHAHAH yeah!!! I had a pair of black denims my Mom designated my model building pants. The fronts of the thighs were shiny with wiped off glue, if I was caught building in any other clothes it was BIG deal, back in the days when spanking wasn't just normal, it was encouraged!!!!! I wish I still had those jeans.....

Mike, you're right about the different cement smells. Comet and Testor's were my main favs, I never did get into Ambroid. A little Sigment and never used DUCO. Remember Lapage's?
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 03:21:08 PM »
New glues don't really have any smell. If you smell CA your eyes are watering. Every once and a while I open a can of Aero Gloss or smear some ambroid on a piece of wood so it smells like I am really building. No Joke.
AMA 12366

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 04:48:12 PM »

HAHAHAHAH yeah!!! I had a pair of black denims my Mom designated my model building pants. The fronts of the thighs were shiny with wiped off glue, if I was caught building in any other clothes it was BIG deal, back in the days when spanking wasn't just normal, it was encouraged!!!!! I wish I still had those jeans.....

Mike, you're right about the different cement smells. Comet and Testor's were my main favs, I never did get into Ambroid. A little Sigment and never used DUCO. Remember Lapage's?
=========================================================

Yeah, Randy, I remember LePage's.  Tried it just once, way back when...didn't hold worth a hoot.

But I sure do remember the glue-covered jeans when I was a kid!  My mom wasn't real thrilled with that....said they'd probably 'stand up by themselves'....and she was probably right.

BTW, do try Duco sometime.  Same routine: 'double-glue' everything.  Works great.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 07:08:20 PM »
The smell of "Tarzan's Grip" would take me right back to Ozzie in '83. Woohoo!  8) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »
Then there's the unforgettable smell of a certain brand of fuel-resistant dope from the early '50s:  Testors 'STA'.  Delicious aroma...miss it dearly.  Anyone else remember it?

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 01:01:53 PM »

Franny's this is it hopped up , the best . love the smell of polyester fiber glass resin

last weekend ,was out flying some free flight and a couple of 4 wheelers went by. one of them was using caster oil .i had to stop in my tracks and take in that wonderful smell
rad racer

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 07:38:01 PM »
'Nitrotane' (yellow label) fuel - ahh, that 'shoe polish' smell....long before the Nannies told us nitrobenzene is carcinogenic.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 03:00:58 AM »

high nitroBENZENE fuel.  nitroMETHANE fuel doesn't have the shoe polish smell.

Among a few others: fuel made from castor oil.

Fuel made using Ucon LB625 has a sweet smell when burned were that made with Ucon MA2270 smells burnt. I never could use MA2270 without burning plugs, but LB25 would run forever.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 08:21:47 AM »
Speaking of fuels, I remember when I was flying Wright & Dunkin, we experimented with lamp oil.  It came in different scents and was slightly cheaper than good kerosene.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 10:35:51 AM »
Almost every airplane I build gets at least one glue joint with Sigment or Ambroid - just cuz.

Surprised no one has mentioned Power Mist???
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline don boka

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 11:19:46 AM »
Dennis!!  You hit the nail on the head mentioning Powermist. Bought that when I had allowance money and when funds were low it was Testors 39!!!

Don Boka.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 11:23:09 AM »
The exhaust from a Fox 35 powered Nobler burning Fox Superfuel is one not to be forgotten; a superb combination of sight, sound and smell. 
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 09:57:52 PM »
I don't often smell burning rubber on the pavement any more, but when I do, it's right back to burnouts at the drag strip. Or the nights when you could melt a pair of tires on the neighborhood streets and still afford two new ones before next Friday.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 10:26:37 AM »
Today, I started shaping a new cowl for an updated Predator. This cowl is the permanent cowl on the very front of the fuselage. I used a block of wood given to me by the moderator of this section, Don Shultz. Thanks Don once again! Now, the interesting part. When I started sawing it up the smell of that wood took me back 23 years to that assembly building where the B-17's were assembled in WW2. When I worked at Boeing, on one job, I had to go to this building as one of our test articles were being assembled there. The smell was intense then. It was rare to smell wood at a modern aircraft manufacturing plant. Then my thoughts shifted to another building at Boeing (upstairs west of the 9-101 building) where many wooden pallets were stored that contained very old "things" that Boeing saw fit to still keep. Then my thoughts drifted to when I was in high school building one of numerous stunt planes. I could clearly remember carving and sanding on the top block of a Skylark. All nice memories!

It is amazing what a single small can do to one's memory. It's also funny that just this block of wood created that smell. I carved blocks for past planes recently and didn't get that smell. Don, where did that wood come from that you gave me?  I have an idea, but can you fill me in where it originated?

Thanks
I too can recall  the smell of a few of those blocks that when carved or sanded that originally stored "BELOW" that hanger building just south of that Main Plant 2  Corp.building. Most of that  balsa wood came from crates that contained model parts from long gone model tests and other items that needed something stronger than styrofoam blocks but still dense enough to keep those old storage items from being damaged. WHICH CONTAINED THE LIGHTEST BALSA BLOCKS..which in most uses at the wind tunnel we needed the heavier grades of balsa for our flutter models..

AND THEN BECAUSE OF THAT... OUR MODEL SHOP FOLKS WOULD SEND ALL THOSE LIGHTEST BLOCKS TO BOEING SURPLUS WITH A NOTE TO ONE OF OUR RC MODEL FLYING BUDDIES WHO WORKED AT THE SURPLUS...TO PUT A HOLD ON THOSE CRATES AND BOXES OF THOSE LIGHTER GRADES OF BLOCK BALSA!  

As you can maybe recall that B-17 old hanger building and near by buildings had a system of underground miles of tunnels that contains cyper' locked rooms along its pathways..(where we would often inline rollerskate during lunch breaks)....where the Wind tunnel model shop would store in large crates that included many of the wind tunnel test model parts and other items that might again be used in future tests..(and also our beloved chosen choice of light straight grain and C grain balsa blocks
Those LOCKED BASEMENT STORAGE ROOMS ALSO was a final resting place for that infamous phantom works model which was a off shoot of the "shot down" SONIC CRUISER (nick named it THE SONIC LOSER after so many tests that we felt at the time became a waste of time during those early and mid 90s.
Bottomline:
I retired in 2004 and now that I have heard that they have torn down those buildings...HUMM? WONDER WHERE THEY STORE ITEMS LIKE THESE NOW?
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 10:44:55 AM »
Bottom line Paul!
I am not certain exactly where and which box of 3 that I had gleaned from the OLD BOEING SURPLUS STORES that Gary Letsinger, Joe Dill, and a host of other retired ol windtunnel model makers and flyers would make a weekly habit of shopping...just to see what we could find?
Sadly that Boeing Surplus store near the Kent Aerospace center also has "LONG GONE?" (Speaking of long gone...so has much of the feeling in my fingers, lower legs and feet due to my advancing peripheral Neuropathical pathy!)
Hey!
I still can wake up every morning and walk my little dog Annie...and it daze-days...soon hopefully will see my 75th year on this old planet earth.
bottom line:a
I can pretty much believe that these light weight balsa blocks took on the odors that they were exposed to....when they served as shipping crate bracing for delicate airplane parts that were sometimes put into long term storage. until the techniques for improving styrofoam were invented.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:48:38 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 09:01:28 AM »
If they tore down those old buildings, what happened to the tunnels and storage rooms?  Were they judge plowed in with dirt?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »
If they tore down those old buildings, what happened to the tunnels and storage rooms?  Were they judge plowed in with dirt?
GOOD QUESTION!!!! Those tunnels were filled with low hanging  over head pipes and electrical wires and conduits. The ceilings in the locked storage rooms were slightly higher.
.Perhaps the overhead pipes and wiring must  still be there since they contained sooo many locked rooms and overhead pipes, wiring that ran the entire Plant 2 complex?
However the tunnel height itself was  so low we often had to duck many of the overhead pipes and signs etc...Being a little over 5ft.7" I often had to duck while inline skating...during lunch breaks...these tunnels were filled with folks walking, jogging...roller blading and even skate boarding..

ESPECIALLY IN BAD HOT, COLD,OR WET WEATHER OR LATE AT NIGHT(the only critters during late nights were just THE TUNNEL RATS!" WHICH SO HAPPENED to be the NAME OF OUR RETIRMENT CLUB! which sadly now has fewer and fewer members as we reach the WINTER OF OUR LIVES.
It is hard to imagine...that the Boeing Company IGNORED all this activity that certainly seems that for safety reasons alone...they would have put a STOP to all this..humm?
Guess OUT OF SIGHT...OUT OF MIND MUST HAVE BEEN THE RULE OF THOSE DAZE-DAYS? ???

Speaking of "SMELLS! We would come home late at night smelling like all kinds of weird chemicals that we used in the wind tunnels...EVEN USING COMPANY SUPPLIED SAFETY CLOTHING, EVEN AFTER  SHOWING AT WORK AND THEN WHEN ARRIVING AT HOME AFTER LONG OVERTIME HOURS IN THE TUNNEL...EVEN MY BREATH AND BODY SMELLED LIKE THE WORKPLACE! AMAZING SO MANY OF US ARE STILL ALIVE N KICKIN' at least not sure about the KICKIN' PART! :X n~

HONEY! LOOK!! I'M HOME!"
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:59:08 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 10:32:21 PM »
Thanks Don.  The second the table saw cut into that "log" I knew where it came from. Smelled just like the factory area where the B-17's were assembled. Thanks for the confirmation.

Ah, the good ole days....

Well, I think that NOW is the good ole days!!

Paul

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 08:57:27 AM »
Just got n E mail back from Bob Parker...
He is recouping from a 7mm kidney stone removal just a short time ago....and will try to head for Tuscon on the 19th of this month.

Those Flutter model daze days truly tested not only the wind tunnel  models but mostly the metal of the men and ladies who worked so many long hours under tight budgets and time frames.
The last drawing is one that I made showing how many model builders and designers ON JUST TWO MONTHS BAILED OUT OF THE WIND TUNNEL when given a special $$$ and retirement incentive to RETIRE EARLY...WHICH WE THEN CALLED "THE GOLDEN PARASHOOTSKI!"
Don Shultz

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 07:42:35 PM »
Very nice artwork, Don. Though disheartening to see so much talent riding the Golden Parashootskis.

Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 09:23:53 PM »
Very nice artwork, Don. Though disheartening to see so much talent riding the Golden Parashootskis.

Rusty
Here is one of my most admired leaders who worked his way from the wind tunnel model design group and thoughout the years...he climbed the Corp. ladder all he way up to become our Boeing President and CEO.
 How fortunate and most proud I was to have personally  worked on many projects with him and his leadership team. He was a regular visitor and so often would bring aviation industry and Airline friends and customers to show off our latest windtunnel test model projects.

T.A. Wilson would often  leave his office on the 3rd floor of Corp building and just before  noon... would take the elevator down to the basement underground walkways and  then head down south to his favorite hangout to see his old friends and co-workers but most of all his keen interest and knowledge of aerodynamic was priceless..but evem more important he just love to see what kind of model testing was going  on at the Windtunnel.
 He often would  spend lunch hours with many of his long time Aerodynamic model designers/ that I had the pleasure of working on recognition artwork projects with T.A. and his Corp. art director.
Here is a painting that was to be on the cover of Time magazine..but all of us took sooooo much time gathering ideas and after many many meetings...this was the final painting forTHE TIME MAGAZINE COVER!!!
NOT!!!
WE DIDN'T GET THE PAINTING  FINISHED IN TIME FOR THE MAGAZINE'S PUBLISHING DATE...and if you look closly...you can see that even the background isn't even finished.
We wasted WAAAAY TOOOOO  much time with meetings with waaay too many people. TOO MANY COOKS RUIN THE STEW..N ALL THAT JAZZ.
WE WERE ALL SO SADDEND AFTER ALL THE R&D...MANY HOURS IN SKETCHES,MEETINGS ETC...BOEING MISSED THE DEADLINE FOR THE TIME MAGAZINE'S COVER.
TIME HAD ANOTHER PAINTING BY ONE OF THEIR OWN ARTISTS THAT STEPPED IN AT THE LAST MOMENT...BECAUSE THE STORY WAS ALREADY TO GO TO PRESS.
TIME WOULD NOT LET US EVEN FLY OUR PAINTING DIRECTLY TO THE PRESS. THE MAGAZINE WAS ALREADY IN PRODUCTION.
Thankfully
Not was all lost...this painting hung in his home until after he passed this life. His wife Grace razzed and teased me about "taking the bump" out of  his nose in the drawing. His wonderful wife gave it back to the archives. However...this artwork ended up in someone fancy office in Renton---NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN?

At least I did have the Renton photographer shoot a photo of this artwork and send me a copy for my files for the memories.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:31:24 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 07:59:06 AM »
Shultzie, you have a talent beyond compare with your paintings.  Also your memory of the Boeing works.   The stories you tell of your friends is also amazing.  Thanks for all of it. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 10:46:57 AM »
Shultzie, you have a talent beyond compare with your paintings.  Also your memory of the Boeing works.   The stories you tell of your friends is also amazing.  Thanks for all of it. H^^
Thanks,Doc!
When we first saw that make shift replacement TIME magazine cover...Truly it  most made me and others that were  involved in that project...  feel about a half  n' inch tall after we dropped the ball on that due date for this Time cover.
 Even worse..we could see that the artist really didn't show T.A.s "TRUE COLORS" on their stand in artist. Worse yet... they didn't have a better photo of not only T.A. and deserving so, we caught lots of flack from  many Boeing brothers and sisters.... that this cover gave the entire world that all Boeing seemed to be interested in at that time was our WAR MACHINERY...
instead of our quest to continue to lead the aviation world in  DESIGNING AND CONTINUING TO  BUILD THE SAFEST. FASTEST,MOST COMFORTABLE COMMERCIAL AIRPLANES on this planet and also the quest for more knowledge of our solar system rhrough our amazing and unique SPACE PROGRAMS.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:26:29 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »
Interesting thread. Don, your response was interesting bringing up TA's name. I was in that building because of his son!

Turns out his son was a stress lead at Boeing who had been responsible for a static test of an AWACS (707 airframe) outboard wing test. Problem is the test failed too early, and the customer required a re-test. The CEO's son was shipped out somewhere and I was brought in to re-run the test. The parameter was that I was to re-run the test and without changing anything produce a successful result.

Long story short, I discovered that the higher loads on the AWACS version created too high a stress around a fuel tank cutout, and that was missed previously. This combined with some "questionable" 2024 used in the first test article and dimensional tolerance buildup at a fastener hole created the first low test result.

I was in that building because I wanted to be there in person when they drilled the critical hole in the new test article. After the hole was drilled, I wandered around and smelled those smells. There were some cool prop driven planes in that hanger as well!

Bottom line on that test: My analysis predicted it would make 164% of limit load.  It failed at 164.5% of limit load!! The next year I received my largest raise while at Boeing. :)

I never heard or saw TA's son after that!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »
Interesting thread. Don, your response was interesting bringing up TA's name. I was in that building because of his son!

Turns out his son was a stress lead at Boeing who had been responsible for a static test of an AWACS (707 airframe) outboard wing test. Problem is the test failed too early, and the customer required a re-test. The CEO's son was shipped out somewhere and I was brought in to re-run the test. The parameter was that I was to re-run the test and without changing anything produce a successful result.

Long story short, I discovered that the higher loads on the AWACS version created too high a stress around a fuel tank cutout, and that was missed previously. This combined with some "questionable" 2024 used in the first test article and dimensional tolerance buildup at a fastener hole created the first low test result.

I was in that building because I wanted to be there in person when they drilled the critical hole in the new test article. After the hole was drilled, I wandered around and smelled those smells. There were some cool prop driven planes in that hanger as well!

Bottom line on that test: My analysis predicted it would make 164% of limit load.  It failed at 164.5% of limit load!! The next year I received my largest raise while at Boeing. :)

I never heard or saw TA's son after that!
id
Not sure....He had two son's if I remember..  Thorton Wilson III rd' and Dan. However I think Dan was with T.A. at least a couple of times when they visit the Super Sonic tunnel testing that we were doin on our "Sonic Cruiser..which turned out to be our "SONIC LOSER!"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:32:36 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 01:15:05 PM »
Dan was the one.....

Not Dan Wilson of Mariners fame...

Dan Wilson of TA Wilson fame!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »
Dan was the one.....

Not Dan Wilson of Mariners fame...

Dan Wilson of TA Wilson fame!
Just wonder if this is Dan? I took this from  my old 1991Managemen albums...but I doubt this is T.A. son Dan?
 What do you think...
In those early daze-days I used to have communications with his other son TA WILSON IIIrd when I was making an ink drawing that was made into a brass plaque for his dad's final goodbye that took place at the Museum of flight.
 At least the photo etch shop at the Aero Space Center jumped though the time schedule hoop JUST IN TIME just hours from the event and  was given to him by the Wind tunnel model design leader who retired shortly.
Don Shultz

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
Just wonder if this is Dan? I took this from  my old 1991Managemen albums...but I doubt this is T.A. son Dan?
 What do you think...
In those early daze-days I used to have communications with his other son TA WILSON IIIrd when I was making an ink drawing that was made into a brass plaque for his dad's final goodbye that took place at the Museum of flight.
 At least the photo etch shop at the Aero Space Center jumped though the time schedule hoop JUST IN TIME just hours from the event and  was given to him by the Wind tunnel model design leader who retired shortly.

Don,
I agree. I don't think that is TA's son. He looks too old in that picture for the time frame I was involved. I thought Dan was "about" my age.   Now old!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 12:00:38 PM »
 (Yes, this photo doesn't look like TA son for sure.
Speaking of "NOW BEING OLD"
This photo shot the other day of our first  SNOW MAN AND DOG of the season here in Gig Harbor...that was being quickly constructed by my daughter, grandson and my wife Carol...WHO LOVES BUILDING SNOW MEN AND SNOW DOGS..after Sat nights quick dumping of 4.5 inches of the white stuff..
Sadly now  the  heavy rains began  last night in earnest...which is putting an end to that impressive project from yesterday morn.
Don Shultz

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 06:32:12 PM »
how about the smell of a JETEX 150 on a pay load ship
rad racer

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 07:03:34 PM »
Very few will remember THAT one!   H^^

Offline don boka

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 07:28:33 PM »
Mike!

I remember the Jetex smell to this day. First one I got was a Jetex 50 for Christmas. It was cold outside so decided to test it out in the basement.

Put the Jetex on the floor, lit the wick and it whizzed around bouncing off a few walls and smelling up the whole house.

Never did that again!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »
 I wish I could find a tube of old Ambroid.I can only imagine what memories that dissss- stink-tive smell would bring!

Perhaps some of those memories would not be the most pleasant.
For example......I once was virtually ALMOST KICKED out on the street in the early Portland State college daze-days 60's for using the furnace room  next to my single room apt. for building a modified twin tailed Smoothie.
It wasn't too long until the smell of Ambroid & Aerogloss fumes started traveling up the ducts transferring those toxic smells up to every apt. in that West Burnside Portland 3 story building.
Thankfully I was allowed to use a near by  basement storage closet that didn't contain any furnance vents.

Don Shultz

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 12:05:23 AM »
The first time around a model airplane engine running, going to the hobby distributor with my uncle and gravitating to the balsa kits and wood ( mid to late sixties) wishing i could leave with a few, the first time I used dope to attach tissue to a rubber model or walk by my ol' lady painting her nails.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2014, 10:19:50 AM »
If you ever had the luxury of opening a Scientific hollow log kit, you will remember that wonderful odor all your life. Almost as good as when I would come home from some cold outside winter job to the smell of my wife's oatmeal date nut cookies baking in the oven.
Jim Kraft

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2014, 01:42:16 PM »
"Oatmeal date nut cookies" Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Why did you go and have to say that?! Now I have to go bake some.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Boy, That really sounds good! y1 You luck dog! Enjoy one for will you?

Cheers, Jerry

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2014, 03:31:31 PM »
Yeah Jerry, I just finished up a cookie jar full. It is a good thing she only makes them about twice a year cause I just cannot leave them alone. At least they don't get stale.
Jim Kraft

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2014, 05:11:17 PM »
If you ever had the luxury of opening a Scientific hollow log kit, you will remember that wonderful odor all your life....
=============================================================

Yep, those were delightful odors......nearly as nice as the white pine in StromBecker solids.   y1

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2014, 09:25:49 AM »
Well this past week I got the memory of glue odor.  As much as I use of SIGment it hadn't hit me until this past week when I was trying to get the gap to close up on the turtle deck of the newest of the Ringmaster family.   It is great the stuff shrinks when drying and holds a lot.   But, the odor just reminded me of when all I had was Duco Cement or Testors.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2015, 12:40:46 AM »
The smell that brings me back to my youth every time is good ole Hoppes #9 gun cleaning solvent.  I remember watching my dad clean his shotguns and rifles after hunting trips and I loved the smell of the solvent.  Just last night after putting about 400 rounds through my M&P 40 I went to clean my gun and got to smell that wonderful smell that took me back and then remembered this post hahaha.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2015, 10:16:12 PM »
That Hoppes #9 is great stuff for making an old burnt castor brown engine look new again.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2015, 01:08:09 PM »
I still remember the smell of Hobbypoxy paint. It brings me back to another era.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2015, 02:45:07 PM »
How'z 'bout out camping with your buddies, sittin' around the campfire eatin a big ol' pot of baked beans and hotdogs and later everybody crawling in the same tent (only had one) for hopefully a good night sleep only to be awaken with some of the most horrendous odors to ever infuse the human nasal passages!!   %^@

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2016, 02:32:04 PM »
Diesel model engine fuel and Duco cement brings me back. When ever I smell diesel model fuel I see my father starting a Webre diesel in the backyard. He had gotten it in Germany at the PX when he was in the service during the 50's. ;)
AMA 59633

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here