News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:18:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slide from the 68 Albany Contest..  (Read 6699 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Slide from the 68 Albany Contest..
« on: October 29, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »
GADs..I am looooooooooooooooooosin' it! Wonder if anyone can ID the throphy hounds n kids shown in this old slide? (Perhaps that young kid on the right side with the blue shirt has to be  Vance Dunlop..but the rest of the pack????????? ???
 I found this slide in my old tool box the other day...(however I do remember taking this shot as I am getting ready to accepting the 2nd place award.
YES! The late GENE MATHENY took the first place award... n~
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Slide from the 68 Albany Contest..
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »
Gee Don, is that your back? From what? 1927?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 05:16:10 PM »
Gee Don, is that your back? From what? 1927?

y1 YES! THAT SOUNDS ABOUT THE RIGHT YEAR  y1 n~
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:36:29 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:23:41 PM »
Did we really dress like that and that hair do?    Planes still look about the same.   Thanks for a little bit of history.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 05:58:45 PM »
Ya Donnie not tooooooo much history or we will have given away too much HB~> HB~> HB~> S?P S?P H^^

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »
GADs..I am looooooooooooooooooosin' it! Wonder if anyone can ID the throphy hounds n kids shown in this old slide? (Perhaps that young kid on the right side with the blue shirt has to be  Vance Dunlop..but the rest of the pack????????? ???
 I found this slide in my old tool box the other day...(however I do remember taking this shot as I am getting ready to accepting the 2nd place award.

The trophy presenter is Bob Stalick, sparkplug of the WMC club. The guy reading the places off the scoreboard is the late, great, Al Grell, another WMC stalwart. Dave Shrum might remember the other adult in the background. The blonde kid in the yellow shirt could be a Stalick or Grell kid...I'd guess Stalick. The Homemade trophies in those days! You still got yours?  Z@@ZZZ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dave Shrum

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 07:27:39 PM »
MMM, those are some of the trophies that I made for the Willamette Modelers  !  The "base's" are a mixture of white like flour, polyester resin and then the "color" is sprinkled on top and you "dip" up thru the mixture to get the 'marbling" effect.  This procedure was done by the old cabinet maker in
Sweet Home, Oregon--Vicktor Kridler --a personal friend at the time.  I have been life time member of that club because of all the trophy's I made.
I made trophies for the NW Regionals for four years.  I figure I have made over 1500 trophies !  I my cabinet shop i would get an order of hardwood and break it down to the sizes that I used.  The knots and figured wood I would cut out and throw in a box and use that "stock" to make the trophies.
Yes, it was a "labor of love" - but I'm a "wood worker" !
Dave Shrum

Dave Shrum

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
The trophy presenter is Bob Stalick, sparkplug of the WMC club. The guy reading the places off the scoreboard is the late, great, Al Grell, another WMC stalwart. Dave Shrum might remember the other adult in the background. The blonde kid in the yellow shirt could be a Stalick or Grell kid...I'd guess Stalick. The Homemade trophies in those days! You still got yours?  Z@@ZZZ Steve
Yes...I have a couple of box's filled with old trophies back in the old storage room and a even a couple of silver plates hanging in this puta' room and a couple of old silver beer or coke mug stines to hold pens n pencils.  LL~
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:37:33 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline donchandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 05:51:41 PM »
And Dave, I have  all the trophies you made for the Regionals that I won still prominently displayed in my work shop.

Don
Don Chandler

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 03:12:52 PM »

This just in from Mike Hazel, referring to the adult in the background with blue/white plaid shirt and trophy:   H^^ Steve

"Yo Steve-O!  Was guest-looking on StuntHanger this morning and saw Schultz's post regarding 1968 Albany contest.  Most of the people were identified in the pic, and the comment indicated one of the adults was unknown.  Yes, then I noticed this was on old posting...2012.  Anyways, the other adult in the pic was my dad!  He was probably hanging onto a Carrier event trophy there.  I was also at the contest .    Mike Hazel"
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 01:32:28 PM »
I also have some of those homemade trophys. Goooood job Dave

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 11:55:30 AM »
Gene and I flew toggather a lot in the 60's. He was great flyer and a really nice guy. I miss him

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here