News:

• April 25, 2024, 01:49:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shultzie's Work  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Shultzie's Work
« on: March 13, 2010, 12:14:14 PM »
Found these in an old shoebox too. Built by Shultzie and given to a kid. Nice guy.

Pretty much exhausts my old pictures. Man, I really miss those pics on the hard drive I lost.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: Shultzie's Work
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 02:11:46 PM »
 WOW RANDY!...WHAT HISTORIC SNAPSHOTS!! H^^
After returning from the 69 Philly Nats....
I couldn't stop thinking about that beautiful  Novi4 Reflexed Eliptical wing platform...plus hearing just how beautifully the V tail platforms were working out for the Adamisin Clan, I KNEW I JUST HAD TO BUILD THAT NOVI 4 WITH A V TAIL...Plus I also had a beautifully tweaked  custom BIG ART OS 35 that might prove to  work quite nicely in that front end.

However...it was late winter of 75 when I finally gave up on that project...

After working all those over-time hours at the Wind tunnel Boeing Flutter modelshop...I just couldn't get enough ambition  or time...to start the covering and finishing  that beautiful bare-boned V tail Novi...hangin there on my garage-makeshift hanger wall.

Then I got a panic call from a friend of Marty's father that our gifted young man Marty had "stuffed" his national entry model...
just a few weeks shy of his well planned trip to the Nationals...

Then knowing just how burnt out I had become and since my Boeing drop-dead schedule, plus knowing my plans for the nats was now history.....
I thought this V tail model would prove to be the perfect  CLPA AIR-AXE that could be quickly covered, painted JUST IN THE NICK OF TIME for the up coming Nats.

Marty and his Dad worked day and night....finishing that model just days before leaving. Although I was heart broken to see that they chose to wack off and  abandon my "V-TAIL" then insult to INJURY added that rather bulky Non-Novish 4 OVER SIZED RUDDER, topped off with a fat bulky canopy.
That Novi 4 was built from my  collection of  the most beautiful select  Sig lightest weight contest balsa..plus,  I had been extremely careful in choosing  just the right choice grades of both straight and C-grain balsa.
After they piled on thick coats of primer and lots of thick yellowish orange-peelee' coats of yellow and green paint...that Novi sadly suddley now tipped the scales at just under 6O ounces.  
I was never offered a chance to test fly that model before his trip to the nats...but I was very proud to  hear that modified Novi actually flew quite well...(even with all that extra weight)

Marty's practice time, exceptional reflexes and  honed flying skills helped him glean his fare share of throphies and hardware with that OL'YALLER' N GREEN NOVI 4 MODE JOB!

attached are a couple of extra shots I took before one of his test flights at the Space Center the summer of 1975. (Look at Marty in Randy's shots and see how he aged...it appears that that old NOVASTING...lasted quite a few years when Randy took these last two shots?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:42:23 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:14:30 PM »
Donnie,

they were taken around 1986 or 87.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 01:46:09 PM »

attached are a couple of extra shots I took before one of his test flights at the Space Center the summer of 1975. (Look at Marty in Randy's shots and see how he aged...it appears that that old NOVASTING...lasted quite a few years when Randy took these last two shots?

Wow! The slides mounts are those old plastic ones...that show that roll was processed after the summer was over..and the mount has the processing date Sept 75 slide #19 Ektachrome.
In those days...I would shoot a roll of film, stick it back in a canister, throw it into my old flying tool box--------------and would often forget about it.  

After seeing this slide mount and seeing those old photos of yours from the 80's...would prove that Marty's old NoviSting machine enjoyed a very very long productive life? LL~
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here