News:

• April 25, 2024, 01:11:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ROBERT HOWARD...STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY!  (Read 6242 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
ROBERT HOWARD...STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY!
« on: April 10, 2007, 01:39:14 PM »
ROBERT HOWARD...STUNT GRUNT FOR TODAY!!!

I first met Rob at the 1968 Nats..and again at the 69 Nationals. I was so impressed with Rob and his coach, mentor, helper...and devoted father was was also a Doctor in not only profession but also was care giver to so many of the rest of us near-de-well stunt flyers.
They both became great friends for years to follow. My late friend, Tim Dunlop and his father had  so many amazing stories and conversations that always kept things going for all of us as we sat around the staging areas...waiting our turn at the handle and in front of the eyes of all impressive WHITE SUITED NAVY judging staff, that often sat across the flying circle from us.
These two gentleman..Mr. Howard...and Captain Dunlop will alway remain in our hearts and souls. THEY MADE SUCH A DIFFERENCE  IN NOT ONLY HIS SON ROBBIE' BUT EQUALLY for so many of us.
Where is Rob today?
If you get the chance to read Rob's beautiful article "Pegasus" in the old Nov. 1969 issue of Flying Models...I think you will see and read what helped  give the necessary tools that helped provide such a well deserved 2nd Place win at the 1969 Philly nats...possible.
Robert, if your father is still with us....here is a tribute to not only you, Rob but also to your  father and to my friend, the late Tim Dunlop, who helped shape the lives of so many as well as helped us live richer and more productive lives.
Though they were both doctors, firefighters, and close friends....MORE IMPORTANTLY,  THEY WERE BOTH CARING AND DEVOTED FATHERS....
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: ROBERT HOWARD...STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 02:21:33 PM »
I saw Roy DeCamara's version a few years ago at the NW Regionals. Very cool plane
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 03:04:26 PM »
I saw Roy DeCamara's version a few years ago at the NW Regionals. Very cool plane

Here is a shot of Rob signaling the judges for his winning official flight for 2nd place.

Second photo.................is a photo of Rapid Robert doing a little "payback" on his ICON line coach's plane. BOB, WOULDN'T LET HIM BORROW HIS WORLD CUP SMOKIN PIPE for that photo either..(however I did sneak a sniff of Gieske's tuned pipe..when he wasn't lookin...
AND YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!

It had that tell tell "BURNT POPCORN SMELL TO IT! FOR A FACT! Alice B...TOKEEELUNNND! WHEEEEEE-WERE YOU?
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 08:41:47 PM »
Here's a picture of Rob and the Pegasus at the '69 Nats, courtesy of Arnold Stott's photo collection (which I need to return to Mike Stott one of these days).

Mike Gretz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:44:22 PM »
Don,
Any idea how he got the horse on the right wing - decal, paint?
Mike

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 08:50:27 PM »
The two-tone yellow wing blaze on Rob's Pegasus inspired me to use the same idea on the Nobler I built the next year.  I still like the combination a lot and should do it again on another stunter.
Mike

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 10:08:32 PM »
>>Any idea how he got the horse on the right wing - decal, paint?<<

Unless he was brilliant with an airbrush (and he could have been), I'd guess it was a decal.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 08:40:29 PM »
>>Any idea how he got the horse on the right wing - decal, paint?<<

Unless he was brilliant with an airbrush (and he could have been), I'd guess it was a decal.

Uhhhh! I remember that it was a decal...(to cover a teenie little hole?) Just razzin about the decal. (I have added many a decal over little silkspan punctures...from grit that has been kicked up by my 3 blader on that old Boeing Aerospace parking lot. I used to use those little decals that came with slot cars...U know...the Shell...Mobil...Champion...etc. to do a quickie patch job until I could get enough passion to fix em the right way?  :-[
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 08:23:25 AM »
Yea, I've used those little easy stick vinyl decals over holes. The peel off easily and keep the grud out until I can really fix it.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 08:44:23 AM »
I have a picture of roy DeCamers paguses and will post it as soon as I get it oyt of my files. I Also use decals for patches and sometimes box tape when I try to put a gallon of fuel thru it. HB~> :X VD~

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 09:18:33 AM »
Hey...another great use for "DUCK TAPE?" Top of da moanin' to ya!!! Have a fun weekender.
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 09:31:35 AM »

I found Roy's model on our very own gallery...gang!
I TOO KEEP FORGETTING TO CHECK THIS GALLERY...WHAT GREAT PHOTOS GANG...
TAKE A LOOK! GREAT LOOKIN MODELS...
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 11:06:06 AM »
I remember that year that Roy had an engine problem on one flight. I got to sit back and watch Roy put in about a 20 minute flight. His shoulder was a bit tired at the end of that one.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 02:43:31 PM »
Pagases
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 03:42:11 PM by Leo Mehl »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 05:45:18 PM »
Thanks Leo....Great looking model..and that finish looks awesome. The photos are awesome too...U rule the cameras...Leo!  H^^
Thanks for posting...
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 10:27:26 PM »
Actually I dodn't take that Picture. It was taken by Scott Reise. I was scheduled to have open Heart sugery on friday before the 2003 regionals so let Scott borrow my Cannon S30- 3.2 meg camera and he took some really good pictures.
  Roy built this from plans and it was powered by a double star 50. This plane is flawless and probably the best finish that I have seen on a plane and I have seen a lot of them . The second best was a maroon and purple plane that was a Bob Palmer plane called the Go Devil an I also have pictures of this plane.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:57:13 AM by Leo Mehl »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 10:00:55 AM »
Actually I dodn't take that Picture. It was taken by Scott Reise. I was scheduled to have open Heart sugery on friday before the 2003 regionals so let Scott borrow my Cannon S30- 3.2 meg camera and he took some really good pictures.
  Roy built this from plans and it was powered by a double star 50. This plane is flawless and probably the best finish that I have seen on a plane and I have seen a lot of them . The second best was a maroon and purple plane that was a Bob Palmer plane called the Glow Devil an I also have pictures of this plane.

YOU TEASEEEEEEEE! I await with Rainier-baited breath for that Bob Palmer Glow Devil shot of yours.
Great photos!
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 02:14:24 PM »
This plane built by Roy DeCamera and campained in the year of 2002. It is the Bob palmer designed Go Devil. Again this airplane is flawless and flies very good. Roy I think is one of the most skilled craftsmen in the US and mybe the world. What a wonderful Old Time plane and the forrunner of the chief. The signature by Bob is one of Roy's proud posesions. Roy also has a nobler that he had George Aldrich sign. But alas I do Not have a picture of it so Shultzie stop drueling. The Pics taken by Me.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:59:57 AM by Leo Mehl »

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 02:34:34 PM »
I could't get other pictur on same post so here it is. Left wing with signature

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 02:41:34 PM »
Roy is indeed one of the finest craftsmen anywhere, and a nice gentleman to boot!  I had the pleasure of meeting Roy at Brodak's and seeing his Pegasus.  Not a flaw to be found in either case!  Awesome!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 03:04:19 PM »
Roy and I fly togather quit often and over the years I have had the greatest admiration for his buiding skils. I have seen him build 5 airplanes at once. I have never met anyone that can do this. I have done two at once and am in the process of doing that myself, but it is not an easy task. He usually builds two of the same airplane at the same time. He has built twin Orentals and Skydancers also all American Phd's. and Noblers, Unreal. And everyone of them light and wonderful finishes. The skydancer have reverse color skeems on them. When I met him he liked my cockpits that I built so he came over and watched me do it and of course his look better. I could go on and on but for now I am glad to say he is my friend.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 12:30:50 AM »
Hey Shultzie, Go Devile pictures are here. Come see. o2oP

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2007, 10:26:22 AM »
Hey Shultzie, Go Devile pictures are here. Come see. o2oP

I KNOW IT BIBLICAL TO NEVER "COVET THY NEIGHBORS WIFE" but after seeing these fine examples of OUTSTANDING stunt model art of Roy's......hummmmmmm?

GADS! IT'S JUST GOTTA BE A SIN...THAT I COVET THY ROY'S MODELS SOOOOO DAMNED MUCH! DV^^ **) VD~ VD~ VD~
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2007, 01:55:52 PM »
Schultzie,

I do it all the time. Roy is one of the best builders I know. His stuff is always first rate.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2007, 09:20:23 PM »
Bill,

I was at that Bordak fly-in as well.  The Pegasus is a very pretty airplane, and like you say Roy is a joy to
talk airplanes with.

Jim Pollock   :o

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2007, 11:12:21 PM »
Bill,

I was at that Bordak fly-in as well.  The Pegasus is a very pretty airplane, and like you say Roy is a joy to
talk airplanes with.

Jim Pollock   :o

Hi Jim,

If I remember correctly, you were judging my flight when I almost passed out from dehydration!  I remember you commenting on my hourglass. ;D

I know now to drink plenty of water whether you think you need it or not.  I knew it then but didn't apply it to myself! **)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 02:56:14 PM »
Just got a really nice E mail from Roy DeCamara....and hopefully he will attach some photos for us of his latest projects....His workmanship and finishing is AMAZING!
Don Shultz

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 09:44:46 AM »
Okay... I'm missing something here. Nobody has mentioned that the Pegasus is flying around in the CW direction. Is that just a preference for the builder, or should the Pegasus be built to go that direction? I'm just trying to get going comfortably in the direction we fly today. Perhaps if I knew more history of the "Greats" I wouldn't think it seems odd to fly CW. Can some one educate me a little, please?
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »
There were aerodynamic reasons for flying clockwise. The gyroscopic procession of the engine tends to push the nose out flying clockwise. A lot of guys back in the day flew that way including George Aldrich. Some still do (my buddy Alan Resinger flies clockwise). In fact, I learned to fly planes going that way. I learned to fly counter-clockwise when I started flying again 30 odd years ago. I don't know the rationale for changing to counter-clockwise but most people fly that way today.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Howard

• New Pilot
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 09:31:46 AM »
Hello Don!

Yes my Dad and I are still among the living, thanks Goodness.

Your's post is very kind and thoughtful. I always thought you to be one of the "Encouragers" in my life along with Big Art and Dad, of course. Dad (Ben) is 89 now and still sharp as can be. Not the best health, though, so my wife and I are living in Dallas again after a while in the Philippines where we have a  small farm and my wife is a part-time actress.
Don, I would really like to catch up with you and another of the many wonderful folks from the past that see this. My email is retro7610@yahoo.com and my phone is 214-498-9649.  Please ring me or drop me a note and we can hook up.

Bless You!

Bob

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 12:40:37 AM »
Okay... I'm missing something here. Nobody has mentioned that the Pegasus is flying around in the CW direction. Is that just a preference for the builder, or should the Pegasus be built to go that direction? I'm just trying to get going comfortably in the direction we fly today. Perhaps if I knew more history of the "Greats" I wouldn't think it seems odd to fly CW. Can some one educate me a little, please?

Ron Howard's Pegasus was in the Nov 69 issue of Flying Models.  (He won 2nd in Sr Stunt at the 69 Nats.)  The published plans showed the leadouts in the left wing for counter clockwise flight.  Roy DeCamera always builds and flies his models for clockwise flight.  The PAMPA rules for Classic Stunt certainly allow that the leadout location can be reversed.

Roy is a superb builder and a superb flier.  There are other notable pilots who fly or have flown in the clockwise direction.  From the past, there is George Aldrich (who could fly competitive patterns in either direction but flew clockwise when he was winning the Nats).  Gene Schaffer did and Gerry Phelps still does.  There are others, but these names come to my mind at this time as some of the top fliers who flew or still flies clockwise.

Keith

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 09:45:10 AM »

Ron Howard's Pegasus was in the Nov 69 issue of Flying Models.  (He won 2nd in Sr Stunt at the 69 Nats.)  The published plans showed the leadouts in the left wing for counter clockwise flight.  Roy DeCamera always builds and flies his models for clockwise flight.  The PAMPA rules for Classic Stunt certainly allow that the leadout location can be reversed.

Roy is a superb builder and a superb flier.  There are other notable pilots who fly or have flown in the clockwise direction.  From the past, there is George Aldrich (who could fly competitive patterns in either direction but flew clockwise when he was winning the Nats).  Gene Schaffer did and Gerry Phelps still does.  There are others, but these names come to my mind at this time as some of the top fliers who flew or still flies clockwise.

Keith
Yes...Gerry Phelps in those days was and is an amazingly gifted modeler and stunt flyer....His models were always a TOTAL WORK OF FLYING ART AT IT;S FINEST
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here