News:

• May 01, 2024, 11:37:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rich's Hobbytowne, Parsippany, NJ  (Read 7397 times)

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Rich's Hobbytowne, Parsippany, NJ
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
How many remember this place?  On Route 46, North Jersey, it was a great hobby shop...with CL circles, a boat pond, car track, and friendly, helpful service.

In late 1961 I drove from Wheaton, Illinois to vistit my grandmother in South Jersey.  On one weekend I drove up to Parsippany to visit Rich's, having seen the ad's in the model magazines.  The trip wasn't nearly as far as I'd imagined....in fact much less so.....took less time than imagined.  On arrival, I had to wait 'til they opened.

The morning was cool, damp, foggy and overcast.  Nonetheless, someone soon volunteered to help launch the model I'd brought: a Goldberg Shoestring/McCoy .35.  (As a former Free Flighter, I was new at this CL stuff.)

Fifty-one years later I still recall the thrill of having flown at a real (and long-gone) icon among REAL hobby shops:  Rich's Hobbytowne.  What a great place it was....the likes of which we'll never see again! .... and I'll bet there are many on this forum who also have fond memories of Rich's Hobbytowne.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:51:40 PM by Mike Keville »
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
Re: Rich's Hobbytowne, Parsippany, NJ
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 04:19:20 PM »
I have been there, back in the fall of 1963. I think it was in Ramsey not Parsippany.
I was just out of high school living in a little rented room in Parsippany. Madly in love with a girl that had moved from Miami back to her folks house in Morristown.
I was a "slot car racer" back then but I remember watching someone practice stunt on the field next to the store. Don't know who it was but they were very good. Richs' place didn't have a conventional slot car track but they did race some very large Indy type cars on a hugh slot oval.
It was a special place, one of several around the country back then. Polks in New York, Stantons in Chicago, John Clemons shop in Dallas and, of course, Orange Blossom in Miami.
The sights and odors of these long gone stores is something that is etched in the memories of everyone here. 
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 05:16:22 PM »
Rich's , located on Rt. 46 Parsippany, NJ , was   frequented by many N.E. stunt flyers including John D'Ottavio, Larry Scarinzi, Bud Weider, Dawn Cosmillo and probably at least a  half dozen more.

Known as the "Tri-O-Rama", there was a fully stocked hobby shop, flying circles, a tether car track and boat racing area. Sometime around 1967-68, a Holiday Inn took the site.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »
Yep, Rich's Tri-O-Rama was definitely located in Parsippany (Route 46).
Unfortunately I never got to Orange Blossom in Miami when Les was working there.
Even more sad, I was about two weeks away from visiting Johnny Clemens' shop on Greenville Avenue in Dallas when some worthless punk torched the place during a burglary.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 06:17:31 AM »
Big time memories! There was a period when I was at Rich's 4 or 5 times a week. John D'Ottavio and I were there most evenings. And yes, also Scarinzi, Bud Wieder, George Jones, Dawn Cosmillo, Harold Price, Ed Elasick, Barry Simmons, Bob Baron, and many more spent much time there. 

Many might remember the Garden state Circles Burners "Snow Bird Meet" that was held in February. But the FIRST GSCB "Snow Bird Meet" was held at Rich's Hobbytowne. There was snow on the ground and the temperature was above freezing, resulting in dense fog. The first flights were delayed until the fog lifted enough for the judges to see ac cross the circle!

Tri-O-Rama ended when the Holiday Inn took over the property. Rich's Hobbytowne relocated to an old church building off RT 46, east of Parsippany, not too far from Boonton, NJ.  But it was not the same. After several years  Rich's ended.
AMA 7544

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »
Now I'm confused. Perhaps it was not Richs Hobbytowne that I visited. I was splitting my time between Parsippany and Morristown and I am sure the store I remember was in or near Ramsey, on Hwy 17. That being said I need some help here. Does anybody recall a hobby shop around Ramsey back then (1963)?
Crap, I've never been to Polks or Stantons either, but I have heard about them.
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 12:23:28 PM »
Les,

I suspect you remember my buddy's father that was the police chief in Morristown...
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 09:08:58 PM »
Les,

I suspect you remember my buddy's father that was the police chief in Morristown...

Could he remember my primer black 55 Chevy, you think he's still looking for me?

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »
I could not resist a reply to this thread. In the early to mid 60's I would get up there whenever I could get a ride from mom or dad, or....anybody. There I was exposed to the whole range of really cool modeling activities that were happening 360 degrees at Tri - O - Rama field. Since I was flying U/C (or learning how) I spent time watching Larry fly his stuff and, with some regularity, blow up his motors. John D'Otavio was the class act there and still is. By watching those fellas and many more I learned what the possibilities were and that inspiration has lasted with me for over 50 years. I participated in the AYSC program( Didn't win but had fun) and at least one contest. Around that same time Rich installed a car racing track. I think he was one of the major promotors for Aurora. We got to the races ever week (except when the school work slipped). It was a real hotbed of activity. We could never quite beat just one guy and he went on to win a race that was televised live on TV. He won and received a brand new Ford Thunderbird!! He wasn't even old enough to drive yet. That sport grew quickly for a brief time and since we had 'trained' at the 'Olympic level' the local hobby shop owner in Livingston took us to meets at other stores in nearby towns. It was a blast! Ahh it was quite a time. Shortly real cars and girls took over but, thankfully, I made my way back and have been mostly active since 1968.  Thanks, Rich!   Tom Schaefer

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 05:03:10 PM »

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 06:09:59 PM »
Yep...dat be de place!  y1

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 02:36:35 PM »
Hi Les:

The store you are thinking of is Highway Hobby on Route 17 in Ramsey, New Jersey. We used to call it "Highway Robbery." Prices weren't too good... Bill Simons and I used to go there at least once a week to check if any new wood had come in. They had several slot tracks there, but at the other end of the store it was all model airplanes. Memories...

I spent a lot of time flying at Rich's Hobbytowne in Parsippany. Bill Simons, Gene Schaffer and I used to go practice there early in the morning on contest days and then travel to the contest site. Memories, memories... y1

Bob Hunt

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 09:18:36 AM »
The link Les put on above doesn't work for me anymore...anyone else haveing the problem?

We lived in the Garden State for seven great years 1965-1972 and I occassionally stopped by Rich's Hobbytown to and from work. I flew there, too, with a Veco Warrior that I still have. I didn't see any activity, though. We lived in Newton, the home of Carsten's, Flying Models, and I missed that, too. Must have been pre-occupied with something.

If I can get that link to work again, I'm hoping to see hanging in the window of Rich's a light metallic blue stunt ship...the first foam wing plane I ever saw. Someone, perhaps Rich, took it down and showed it to me, it was beautiful, no trim, just blue. Pretty slim chance, but, ya' never know....

dg

It's working now....cancel the emergency. 

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »
And I thought it was me that couldn't get the link to work.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here