News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:23:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Playboy and before part 1  (Read 2799 times)

Offline WhittleN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Playboy and before part 1
« on: March 01, 2011, 07:45:24 AM »
Schultzie
A couple of years ago you asked if I had any of the old pictures you even posted a picture of me and Debbie Greenshields.  Well I thought I would dig out some of the old slides and have them made into JPG’s. That morphed into the chronology of the Playboy.  It all started with the Adonis by Jim Mayfield.  Jim gave me the Adonis as I was wearing out airplanes at an alarming rate (practiced everyday).  After a few hundred flights the Adonis tangled with a kite and ripped the handle out of my hand.  I flew a few minutes and finally hit a church across the street from the school.  I picked up the pieces and build the Avenger.  The canopy on the Avenger is actually the remains of the canopy of the Adonis.  The Avenger placed 5th in Senior Stunt at the ’67 Los Alamitos NATS about 10-15 miles from my parent’s house.

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
Re: Playboy and before part 2
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:09:41 AM »
After school let out in the summer of ’68 I started building the Playboy.  I finished it in mid July ’68 and hopped a train in early Aug to go to the Olathe NATS.  It did place second in senior stunt and receiving 38 appearance points. Luckily I built a crate to transport the airplane as you will remember it didn’t leave Olathe as pristine as it arrived.  Thanks to Phil Granderson rebuilding it and then after some additional collisions with hanger doors and tarmac, Keith Trostle, Dave Gierke, and some other distinguished folks helped repair it for a late 7 PM flight to place 2nd.  After returning to California the airplane was again rebuild by some nice members of the Orange County Thunderbugs.  I flew it in one more contest up in Tucson in the spring of ’69.  Tom Warden bought the airplane for a crisp $100 bill in late April of ’69.  He flew it some and then used it as a basis for the Continental and the gorgeous Minatos.  He contacted me several times and asked about the trim layout when he was painting the Minato.  I subsequently discovered '55 Chevy’s and women.  Didn’t get back to stunt until ’77 at Riverside California.
Regards
Norm

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: Playboy and before part 1
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:34:08 AM »
Norm!

Although our old slides and beloved KODACHROME HAS BEEN TAKEN AWAY...thankfully, no matter how these great old slides that you have shared with us this morn are
FOREVER PRICLESS!  Keep your photos & stories comin...and Like our beloved Bob Hope alway said:

"THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!"
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »
How about an updated picture to see how the young man aged? LL~ LL~ By the way that is one gorgeous airplane. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:00:04 AM »
Doc
I would actually like to see Debbie - bet she aged better than me.
Norm

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 09:12:22 AM »
Looks like you aged better than some of us.  Won't say nothing about the young lady as I have seen some of my classmates that I used to date many many years ago.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:23:38 AM »
Norm...and this goes for the rest of you ol' grunts, its GREAT to see these old vintage photos of daze-days of by gone days.... "ALIVE UUH' LIVE OLD"
Why not TODAY...just drag out and dig  through those old shoe box's and balsa dusted shelves and drawers for photos and lets start posting these for posssstearittttteeeee' and memory renewal for ever dwindling brain cells.

Norm,  Thanks for again sharing these photos...I am looking forward to seeing more scanned photos of our early formative years in CLPA? CLP** BW@
Don Shultz

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 06:49:50 PM »
I do remember the Playboy,

Roger Barrett showed up with one at the '69 Cal State Stunt championships.  I asked him what it was painted with and the reply was urethane!  I think his weight about 49-50 ounces.  The only other thing I remember is that I won after a tie breaker with my good buddy Lon Cooper Jr. who unfortunately lost a battle with Lukemia around 1975.

Jim Pollock   :(
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:54:24 PM by Shultzie »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 08:56:38 PM »
Any chance you might have a photo of Lon Cooper Jr. you could share with us?
Sad to see young flyers pass the life all too soon.
Don Shultz

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 06:27:37 AM »
Jim
Roger's and Jim Mayfield’s Playboy are the same but mine was not related.  My Playboy was related to the Adonis - another Jim Mayfield design.
I just couldn't call it Adonis.

Norm

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 09:32:25 AM »
Thanks for posting the pictures, and the email, Norm!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 01:20:16 AM »
Although our old slides and beloved KODACHROME HAS BEEN TAKEN AWAY...

Yeah, that's a damn shame. If they still made it in 120 or 220, I would still be buying the stuff. There really isn't anything to replace it.

Brett

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 08:36:15 AM »
   Yeah, that's a damn shame. If they still made it in 120 or 220, I would still be buying the stuff. There really isn't anything to replace it.

Brett

B&H still sells Fujichrome....
Steve

John Leidle

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 10:34:13 PM »
  Thanks for the info & pics of the Plane Norm. It is beautiful.
  john

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here