News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:40:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GIL COUGHLIN MODEL ENGINE MODEL GRUNT FOR TODAY!  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
GIL COUGHLIN MODEL ENGINE MODEL GRUNT FOR TODAY!
« on: February 26, 2007, 10:43:20 AM »
GIL COUGHLIN
Although I scanned a photo of Gil's greeting card...I GOTTA TELL YOU...he could be our model maker poster-child (ol'toot)  success of how one can change their lives by diet and exercise and lifestyle changes.
He NO LONGER LOOKS LIKE THAT CARTOON OF HIMSELF...He has slimmed down and trim and seems to have a new zest for life after Boeing.

Retirement, I think has fit him well. At Boeing, his frustration of trying to bring up all of us co-workers to his skill level must have quite a chore. Those of us who had the chance to work with Gil noticed just how vast his interests were in not only modeling but also for life. One of his passions that FRIGHTENED THE HELL out of us...was for his building and flying of full sized Ultra-light aircraft. At first his passion for flying was a "tad behind his flying skills" but thankful before long...he was a master at both building and flying.  Often in the warm eve.s here in the Auburn Valley, he would buzz my flying field near the Auburn Boeing Plant...or while driving near Kent valley, I would look up through my sun roof and see Gil smilin' back down at us.

I don't think he still flies those Ultra lights...but his collection of engines and passion for models is still very muc alive and well.
Knowing Gil...just makes life a bit more fun!
Hey NW grunts...add your vibe about our WILD N' SOMETIMES KRAZZZY MODEL-GRUNT?

However, the majority of these types of workers that were re-assigned to work with Gil, you could bet that before long you could see change that lack luster Gil was a extemely gifted passioned model maker at the Boeing Company....LIKE BRUCE KIMBALL..he too is truly a modelmakers modelmaker, Virtual master of just about any modeling project he would involved with. His knowledge and expertise in model engines over the years has helped iron out the buggga-gremlins out of so many stunt flyers engines.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:57:02 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
Re: GIL COUGHLIN MODEL ENGINE MODEL GRUNT FOR TODAY!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 11:03:02 AM »
Gill is still one of those guys that greets you with a handshake and a smile. His passion for all models is really his trademark. I have seen Gill at just about every event that has happened in the northwest. His Jim Walker collection is really something. He is a modeler a lot Like Bill McDow. His engine collection is outstanding an his flying  exibitions are his other trademark. I am always glade to see Gill for he always has a crowd of people around him when he is at an event of any kind. Good choice Shultzie

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:06:48 AM »
I met Gil at a few of the Model Engine Collectors Associations EXPOs.  Gil has an incredible number of model airplane stories.  The first time I met him, I wondered how one guy could do all this, and then he took out his pictures and there he was doing them!!

His Jim Walker collection is stupendious.  The little twin cylinder Firebay is just an example.  Jim Walker was suppposed to fly live on the Dave Garroway Today show (kiddies, ask your dads or gramps about Dave), but the studio didn't want him running an engine in it.  Jim flew this Firebaby, powered by a twin cylinder compressed air motor.  I think Gil said he ran the air out the lines to the motor in a very small plastic tube, kind of like used on the pneumatic throttle of the Firebee.

Gil is quite a guy!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:37:23 AM »
Thanks Bill...
Great photos and story about our amazingly gifted and addicted modeler. He was one of the most talented professional modelmakers at the Boeing Company and his many contributions will be long remembered.
His accomplishments could fill a book...humm? Yes, wouldn't that be a great coffee table book for anyone who just loves model airplanes or anything that flies?
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 11:09:28 AM »
Thanks Bill...
Great photos and story about our amazingly gifted and addicted modeler. He was one of the most talented professional modelmakers at the Boeing Company and his many contributions will be long remembered.
His accomplishments could fill a book...humm? Yes, wouldn't that be a great coffee table book for anyone who just loves model airplanes or anything that flies?
Gill was at the Model Expo in Monroe Washington this past weekend and he was telling us that not only was he model maker at Boeing but also a Jack of all trades. As usual he had a bunch of people around him as he was flying his indoor and anthopeter models with this big smile on his face. He said that a man in California offered him $100,000. For his one Elf engine collection but Gil told him NO. Gil said thats only money and I am not interested in money. It is always fun to see Gill and ask him whats new because he usually has something new to show you.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 07:30:43 PM »
Last time I saw Gil (last summer, I guess), he was riding his Harley Davidson. Sparky would be pleased! But with all our traffic (and many bad ones, with cell phones stuck to their ears), probably more dangerous than his Ultra Light aeroplane.

At one of the last contests we had at Clover Park Tech's old aerodrome off So. Tacoma Way, Gil showed up to run score cards for the stunt judges. On his skateboard. He was already over 70 at the time, and I seem to recall that he fell on his butt  :-[ and ended his skateboard career soon after.  :X Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
GIL COUGHLIN REVISTED... MODEL ENGINE MODEL GRUNT FOR TODAY!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 07:56:01 PM »
Just heard from Pete Fergeson a few minutes ago.. that our Skyraiders Icon GIL COUGHLIN---- our MAIN MODEL ENGINE GRUNT and retired professional wind tunnel model maker  has had some kind of accident and is in the Tacoma General Hospital...Room 517 Wing G and the phone is 253 403-1622

Two or more...Skyraiders gathered  in his name can do wonders. He need cheerin' up. Maybe I can fire up my old ST-46UNMUFFLED OF COURSE...outside his window?

Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 10:31:43 PM »
SAD NEWS..GILBERT COUGHLIN MASTER AEROMODELER
We just received news today that our gifted brother in modeling has passed on Friday...I will post more information when arrangements have been made.
He made this world a better place...He will be sorely missed.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 09:55:55 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here