News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:20:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: News paper article, forest park ,ny  (Read 2179 times)

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
News paper article, forest park ,ny
« on: February 09, 2019, 12:52:42 PM »
Does anyone have any old newspaper articles on flying in Forest park, nyc. In the 70’s? Looking for copy of photos. Thanks
AMA 874027

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
Re: News paper article, forest park ,ny
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 01:41:16 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=crazy%208%27s%20model%20airplane%20club&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Then once you're finished with that check out my Crazy 8's movie/video. It's in the movies from my youth link on my website
Once on that page click click on the "N.Y. Crazy 8's M.A.C. full length movie" link for all my home movies out together.
BTW.. they are not in correct chronological order.
Here's the direct link:  http://www.builtrightflyright.com/pgs/movies.htm 

Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: News paper article, forest park ,ny
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 12:02:46 PM »
Oh that video brings back a lot of memories.  The first Rat Race contest at the KCK City Park circle in which they tried to fly all 6 planes at once.  Needless to say it was a short race for some.  Watching Wayne Meriwether take another pilots handle because that pilot had lines around his feet and Wayne had crashed his.  Pappy and one other taking cutters out to cut lines of downed planes that were wrapped around people.   I have flown quite a few places here in the KC area once I learned what was going on.   How we managed with out hard hats,  safety thongs and no safety fence.   Sunday afternoons the circle was busy and you might get more than one flight in.  When no ball games were happening we flew over there.  On contest weekend we had the whole place.   By the way before they tore up the Gage Park site in Topeka KS we had several times where we would fly 6 up with pit men to refuel and keep us going.  We also would change pilots and pit men.   In all these years Ive witnessed 2 bad accidents involving racing or multiple planes in the circle.  One was a pit man that didn't know how to launch a plane and stuck his fingers in the running prop on launch.  The other was a pit man not ducking when told to and got hit by a landing plane.  But I've seen several of those.  Need to get my old super 8 videos out some time. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here