News:

• March 29, 2024, 07:45:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modler extroidnair and stunt grunt Bill McDow  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Leo Mehl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Modler extroidnair and stunt grunt Bill McDow
« on: January 19, 2007, 12:07:43 PM »
Bill McDow was one prolific model builder. He built controline,scale,rubber power RC and freeflight, radio control  RC asist old timers and most of these were displayed in hobby shop thougout the Portland, Vancouver area. After he retired I visited him at his home south of Oregon City. He lived in a mobil home. One of his bedrooms was his shop and he was making rubber powed stick models then. He had models hung on his cieling and ther wasn't room for another model to hang there. Before Bill died he worked with Frank Macy at the McMinneville model musium. If you want to see some of the best stick models ever made stop in there sometime.  I miss Bill he was always quik with a smill and a joke. He loved to show kids how to trim indoor models and always suppoted indoor modeling in the winter. Bill was an avid Free Flighter until he had to quit because his legs were bothering him. I can remember going to contests with him. It was always fun to watch him unpack his carrier top box. I will always remember him as a complete modeler. Bill is in the Ben Madsen picture on the far right.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 09:25:22 PM by Leo Mehl »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: Modelmaker extroidnair and stunt grunt Bill McDow
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 01:12:12 PM »
Bill McDow was one prolific model builder. He built controline,scale,rubber power RC and freeflight, radio control  RC asist old timers and most of these were displayed in hobby shop thougout the Portland, Vancouver area. After he retired I visited him at his home south of Oregon City. He lived in a mobil home. One of his bedrooms was his shop and he was making rubber powed stick models then. He had models hung on his cieling and ther wasn't room for another model to hang there. Before Bill died he worked with Frank Macy at the McMinneville model musium. If you want to see some of the best stick models ever made stop in there sometime.  I miss Bill he was always quik with a smill and a joke. He loved to show kids how to trim indoor models and always suppoted indoor modeling in the winter. Bill was an avid Free Flighter until he had to quit because his legs were bothering him. I can remember going to contests with him. It was always fun to watch him unpack his carrier top box. I will always remember him as a complete modeler. Bill is in the Ben Madsen picture on the far right.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:33:48 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: moler extroidnair and stunt grunt Bill McDow (UPDATED from website crash
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 09:00:54 AM »

Here is Leo's post updated about BILL McDOW.
THANKS...STEVE for your keeping his memory alive. Bill truly made our modelers world a better place.
(Also...Steve, thanks for jiggling' our computer recluse Ben Madsen into action. What a blessing it was to get a phone call from Ben yesterday.

Steve and all you grunts that are heading down to Big T sun country...my thoughts and prayers are that you will arrive and return healthy and most of all SAFE  (with all models intact and hopefully with some purty nice and deserving award hardware.

As far as the rest of you travelers to Tucson, better BUCK UP..(sorry for the pun, dear brother Brett) BE FORE-WARNED! The NW group (Leo and gang from Portland too)

These NW souls have been out there practicing and tuning their new stunt-kudgles. y1 (PE**)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:33:07 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Modler extroidnair and stunt grunt Bill McDow
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:01:10 AM »
Schultzie,  I too want to thank you and your fellow modelers for this part of the forum.  To see pictures of people I have read or heard about is great.   Even greater is getting to meet them, like at Tuscon or even the NATS.  If only I had spent more time with a camera and taking notes.  Up until the late 70's did I start trying to fly stunt.  I was too busy with Navy Carrier,  Racing and Combat.  When my son started flying with me it was the racing events and carrier.  When he got too busy I started helping with racing & carrier.  Old time plus classic was tried at the NATS.  Going to Tuscon(VSC) each year is dream come true, meeting and flying with people you usually only read about.  So many memories and so little time left(hopefully another 20 years) before I get to go run carrier or racing for eternity.   Keep the pictures and stories coming.  Having fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here