News:

• May 21, 2024, 11:08:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mystery Stunt Flyer surfaces.  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mystery Stunt Flyer surfaces.
« on: May 19, 2008, 06:03:19 AM »
Out a Rouge Park this weekend, a missing person appeared.

He was  a little disoriented and seemed to have lost his memory.  However, when the engines started, he was able to recall some vague recollection that he had been held captive by a cult of Telecomande' zealots in a remote area of Pencilwayneeeah since the previous millenium.  Up until Saturday, he had been totally deprived of Control Line for over 8 years.

By the end of the day Saturday, hew was claiming to be a long-lost CLPA flyer, but since nobody was packing a stunter, we could not verify his story.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Mystery Stunt Flyer surfaces.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:19:03 AM »
He was back Sunday and we brought out a stunter to test his story.

Sure enough, he was going FULL PATTERN with a half hour.

Unfortunately he's not entirely rehabilitiated yet.  After the contest, he brought out an RC-ARF and tried to get some CL'ers infected.
Paul Smith

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 10:23:45 AM »
Interesting....
Check that control handle of that he is using? 8 years since he has flown a pattern? Really? LL~
OK...Could this gent's-genes n' DNA be related to Rollie McDonald? LL~ LL~ H^^
Don Shultz

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 04:56:52 PM »
That's Tony Lang! I haven't seen him in years.

Tony is a graduate of the Julliard School of music, and is a great piano player.

Twice, He brought airplane kits  to the VSC, and built and flew them in competition there. 

A Great Guy!
De Hill

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 05:38:59 PM »
 Didn't he start a DeBolt Super Bipe on the flight out to Tucson and have everyone oohing and ahing till it didn't make the last vertical eight. Really nice guy, played music to his flights also.

Walter
walter menges

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 08:27:56 PM »
Didn't he start a DeBolt Super Bipe on the flight out to Tucson and have everyone oohing and ahing till it didn't make the last vertical eight. Really nice guy, played music to his flights also.Walter

Now with Electrics on the scene....it sound like we are dawning on a new age...similar to competiton kite flyers event called Choro or "Ballet!" NO! LEO....IF YOU ARE LURKING..."One doesn't have to fly  a PINK AIRPLANE AND WEAR A PINK TU-TUUUU!! LL~

Perhaps adding a throttle control and lots of flap and elevator....and then the flyer could be judged on how well he chorographed a flying routine to match the music.

Attached is a photo of my old flyin buddies...(the original Cutting Edge kite team when we were workin at Boeing before retiring.)
Attached is a video of the new World Cup winning team Cutting Edge and their routine

www.kitelife.com/videos/mtb/cuttingedge_wskc06_1st-overall.htm
Don Shultz

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 09:03:30 AM »
The first time I saw Tony Lang was at VSC 9 or 10. It was evening time, and Tony was sitting out in the Roadway Inn's inside courtyard, eating Doritos out of the bag, and drinking champagne out of the bottle. He flew a Don Still Stuka Stunt airplane in the OTS competiton, and had recorded an original song entitled "Stuka Stunt Blues" which he played on a cassette tape recorder during his flight.

At another VSC, he brought a partially built Debolt New Bipe, finished it at the flying field, powered it with a Cox TD .15, and flew it in the OTS event.  During his flight, the airplane struggled with the vertical eights. On the second vertical eight, the wings came off the Bipe, and the fuselage and engine made a twisting descent into the asphalt. Wild applause from the crowd followed the crash.

Tony is quite the consumate showman.
De Hill

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 01:06:10 PM »
At the 1987 F2d Team Trials, Tony appeared at The Ukrainian Cultural Center to give the pilots a pre-contest breifing in the style of Clubber Lang, while dressed as Elmore Blues.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 06:25:23 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 02:40:15 PM »
Here is my old kite buddy RAY BETHEL from Vancouver....He flies 3 at the same time to music and is invited to travel to places all over the world to do his demos......
Ahhhh the possiblities of music to flying...be it elect. toy airplanes or sport kites...the thrill is sooooooo similar but trust me...SPORT KITES ARE SO ADDICTING...

www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/KITES/video/x1otzk_kite-sport

AND EVER SO DANGEROUS
www.dailymotion.com/related/2838224/video/x26ib1_surf-kite-avion-accident_extreme
Don Shultz

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 05:41:41 PM »
The last time I saw Tony Lang was at Brodak's second contest.  He showed up, and I mentioned to Buzz that he was a great piano player. Buzz said; we have a piano in the house, and Tony went in and played a concert for everyone.

Quite a guy!

De
De Hill

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 06:27:04 PM »
Tony mentioned that Brodak's piano was hopelessly out of tune.
Before he played, he dialed it in like never before.
Paul Smith

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 08:33:48 AM »
Great story...Dee n' Paul.

Lets build an AMA concert stage band from a bunch of stunt grunts... (ALL GRUNTS ARE WELCOME! talent is not an option...PASSION IS!! LL~ LL~ LL~
please add your name and what instrument you play or had played...
FIRST WE NEED A DIRECTOR-LEAD???? WHO DO WE NAME? SPARKY???? Bill "G"Man Gruby????
Toney Lang (piano)
Lead Singer(up for grabs???)  Phil Granderson-Howard Rush-Paul Walker-Leo Mehl or Randy Powell????
Bill Werwedge & Bob Hunt (GIT'tar') back up singers????
fiddles-faddles and bass?
drums???
fiddles-faddles-string bass???
woooooooooody winds????
Brass...(Shultzie trumpet-valve trombone-sax-oboe-tonette-diggerie-doo-n-comb!:)
tap dancers....Ted Fancher
etc...etc...
REMEMBER..TALENT IS AN OPTION HERE  AND IS HIGHLY OVER-RATED...(just look at the POP Charts today...that should be proof enough. "NICKLE-BUTT!" "FRAY-FILET!" JUSTIN TIMBER-JUMP IN DA- LAKE...ETC.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm? DISTURBING THE PEACE...can be quite costly, but hey every control line flyer alive never let this ROADBLOCK bother them too much....(passion over looks reality...many many many times...
(Gee...I gotta lay off the Starbuck java...AS YOU CAN SEE...I JUST O.D'd my limit this morn on my last day of using my right hand for a while.
THANK THE LORD ABOVE...YER' SHULTZIE at long last is going to be SILENT on ol' Stunt Hanger...for a while and will go into LURKING MODE FRIDAY AFTERNOON....
N'ALL THAT JAZZ.

Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
Schultzie, do take care as I want more stories, pictures and the kite routine was fabulous.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »
Donnie,

As it turns out we are planning a guitar festival at the McMinneville contest this year. Should be interesting.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 06:01:33 PM »
Git tars...and a nice stunt pad near bye!!! Wow! H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 07:43:33 PM »
Git tars...and a nice stunt pad near bye!!! Wow! H^^
Ya! I am playing a Nicely tuned Moki 51. Song is called Whirling Dervish. Floyd Carter and I may do a old duet. He will be playing a ST 51. I used to sing but now voice is in limbo just like everything else! HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here