News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:23:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MEMORIES ON THE NAVY NATS- SHARE YOURS  (Read 60877 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: MEMORIES ON THE NAVY NATS- SHARE YOURS
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2012, 06:57:41 PM »

my first Nats was Willow Grove 1957 as a jr flying speed ,never did get an official flight in.   My most Memerable was Glenview 1966, where i was on the USAF team.  i was stationed in Hawaii and had to go to japan to q
rad racer

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2012, 07:18:25 PM »
  sorry, had to go to japan to qualify for the AF world wide in San Antonio tex, John Brodbeck sr and Bob Dunham were the CD's in japan  .  In Tex i met up with my friend Capt Keith trostle , i was #2 on the team and got to pick my helper for the Nats and that is how a capt got to chase free flight planes for a two striper .did you light the fuse Keith, no i thought you did,, last time we saw that plane,  spent the week between athe AF worlds and the nats at Keith's folks 500 acre farm in kansas .it was great go out the back door and put a ff up.  The USAF team won the team trophy and i was again #2 on the team ,i gave Keith time to go over and fly stunt Ha Ha and he ended up 5th, and he hasent quit yet,
rad racer

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2012, 03:28:41 PM »
how come we got no Miss anything?
AMA 12366

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2012, 07:05:50 PM »
We can probably thank Gloria Steinem and her crowd of 'libbers' for that.....though maybe we want to give it a try!
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »
The following is an excerpt from an autobiography that I’ve been working on (well, off and on) for several years. There is a section that conveys several stories about the 1961 Nats in Willow Grove. Here are two of those stories:

We were still living in the Doylestown area in 1961 when the AMA Nats returned to Willow Grove, as they had every four years since 1953. One of my schoolmates was the son of one of the base big wigs, and he also had an interest in model airplanes. His father was apparently put in charge of helping to promote the Nats in the region, and he asked me if I would consider appearing – along with a couple of other local youths – on the “Morgan in the Morning” television show that originated in Philadelphia. Wow! A chance to be on TV! That was pretty impressive to a young man in those days.

The big day arrived and we were driven to the television station in an official Navy staff car. I was asked to bring along an airplane and all the necessary items I would need to start the engine on the sound stage. Remember, there were no mufflers in those days. I chose to bring my prized Quicker (described earlier) with the flame paint job. It was fitted with a Johnson .35 engine, and those of you who have run them know that it is by far not the quietest engine on the planet. I remember mentioning that to the person who was assigned to direct us, but he said not to worry.

The big moment was nearing. The Morgan in the Morning show was what everyone in the entire area watched when they got up in the morning. I was about to have my few minutes of everlasting fame. Everyone would see me on TV, and I’d be the envy of all my friends. I was told to fuel the model and be ready to crank it up when the program returned from commercial. I remember being cued to be ready to flip the prop. I had the battery leads connected to the engine, and got a bump on the prop. And then . . . Well, you probably won’t believe this next part, but I swear it’s true. At just the moment that we were supposed to come back on air, the program was preempted for coverage of Gus Grissom’s Mercury space flight!

The host (I forgot his first name) Mr. Morgan personally apologized to us for not being able to get us on air. We were not rescheduled, and that was that.

Larry Scarinzi was asked by the AMA to be the event director for the CL Stunt event for the 1961 Nats, and he came to stay with us for the week. Each morning I would go with Larry to the Nats, and he put me to work as a gopher. I’d go-for coffee, go-for donuts, etc. I also ran some scores for the Navy officer judges, and performed other crucially important tasks. In other words, Larry kept me from being a pest most of the time.

As mentioned before, I flew CL Combat with my Quicker at that Nats, but I also had a lot of time to just roam and see the many sights that a Navy Nats had to offer. Those Nats were a lot like a three ring circus, except that there were many more than three rings. Everywhere you turned there was something happening. Combat was being flown on the grass adjacent to the runway where the Stunt event was being flown, and speed was just a few hundred feet away. RC and FF were also being contested. It was an amazing contest.

For me, however, the most fascinating aspect of that Nats was the hangar that was filled with workbenches. The Navy actually built what seemed like hundreds of wooden workbenches, and modelers would work on their airplanes there. It was a place where spare models could be stored while a modeler was out competing, without the fear that something would be stolen or damaged. Many actually slept under their assigned benches!

I vividly remember walking through this workbench area one day and coming upon a man working on his stunt model. I knew instantly who it was, because the airplane he was holding had been featured on the cover of the American Modeler Annual just the year before as an S. Calhoun Smith painting.  It was, of course, Dave Hemstrought, and the model was his absolutely gorgeous Fairchild PT-19. Dave was performing some sort of maintenance on the model. I remember just standing and staring at this scene. Here was a genuine celebrity and I was just a few feet from him. After a few moments he looked over at me and asked if I would help him with some chore on the model. I was stunned! This stunt hero was asking me for help!  

I don’t really remember just what it was that he had me do, but I do remember asking him a lot of questions. I also remember that he was extremely friendly and patient. He treated me like a real person. He actually listened to what I was saying and held a real conversation with me. I was amazed! In retrospect I’m quite sure that he really didn’t need my help with anything and just wanted to ease my obvious nervousness.

David quit flying stunt soon after that and didn’t come back until around 1974. By that time I was an established stunt flier. I remember seeing Dave and Les McDonald walking toward me at a Nats and wanted to reintroduce myself to him and relate the above story. I was sure he wouldn’t remember the episode at the 1961 Nats, but I wanted him to know how much it meant to me at that time.

I started to tell Dave the story and about half way through he stopped me and finished it in perfect detail. He did remember! I was amazed, impressed and elated to know that our first meeting had been so memorable – for both of us.

Ah memories – Bob Hunt

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:30:19 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2012, 06:37:33 PM »
Thanks for a another great story.  I haven't went back to check if I posted this or not.  I remember Larry Scarinzi very well at the 64 NATS in Grand Prairie Naval Air Station.   In my early 20's and fresh off the farm.   What an experience that was.  First time away from home, but had my adopted parents to watch over me even tho they had to stay in a motel off base.  Was right next to Wright & Dunkin in the work hangar.  Also the Meriwether's kept an eye on me.  To see Neil Armstrong handing out the Championship Trophies in which Wayne Meriwether was Junior Champion and Dubb Jett Senior Champion.   The Open Champions name slips my memory at this time.   It wasn't until 1970 that I got back to another NATS.   I remember meeting quite a few stunt grunts at the 74 NATS in Lake Charles.  Remember the flags for the tall masted schooner my team mate and I was working on.   Sure glad those things go out lawed.   If only I could write half as well as some of you guys I might start on my life time.   Back in  the early days it was Combat, Navy Carrier and Rat Racing(rat was not an  official event yet).   By the way thanks for the story of the "Caprice".
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2012, 07:26:41 PM »
. . . The Open Champions name slips my memory at this time . . . 

Woody Blanchard?  He won it several times in that era.  Flew many FF and CL events.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2013, 05:25:14 AM »
The only two Navy Nats I went to were at Glenview NAS in 70 and 72. What an experience. Those were the days. Carrier was full of flyers . I think 72 was the year for the for three decks and if you didn't get on deck in five minutes you went back down a very long list. Tough to get a flight. Met Roland Baltes, what a great guy. Ray Wilman the Guardian man, Harry Higley, Dave Wallick, Terry Heron's Judy, what a rocket. Speed pits were a plethora of stars, The Neeson Brothers, Dodge, Stegans, the Browns including Mary Lou. Being an AirForce vet out in 67 I still had a taste for SOS. Navy chow was great. Millions of combat ships being built in the hanger. Free flight ships falling into the middle of circles. Those were the days and I remember the Navy Nats fondly.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline steve pollina

• New Pilot
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »
  sorry, had to go to japan to qualify for the AF world wide in San Antonio tex, John Brodbeck sr and Bob Dunham were the CD's in japan  .  In Tex i met up with my friend Capt Keith trostle , i was #2 on the team and got to pick my helper for the Nats and that is how a capt got to chase free flight planes for a two striper .did you light the fuse Keith, no i thought you did,, last time we saw that plane,  spent the week between athe AF worlds and the nats at Keith's folks 500 acre farm in kansas .it was great go out the back door and put a ff up.  The USAF team won the team trophy and i was again #2 on the team ,i gave Keith time to go over and fly stunt Ha Ha and he ended up 5th, and he hasent quit yet,

When I was in USAF basic training at Lackland AFB, July 1965, the Air Force was having their C/L qualifications right across from where we would drill. It was so hard to "cage" my eyeballs and not look at all those beautiful models.

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2013, 01:00:05 PM »
The USAF Team turned into a screw job for me.  In 1970 I was planning to join The Navy, but switched to the USAF on the theory to that I would rather fly in The Nats than judge.  In 1971 & 72 I couldn't try out for the team because students couldn't take a break from training.  In 1973 I was back from the war and ready go out for the team.  I was shocked to find out that the Air Force had cut back its sixteen competitive sports to two: basketball and golf.  

It was sort of a wash.  If I had stayed with The Navy I wouldn't have had to judge at The Nats.   In retrospect I think to USAF Team was a not-so-subtle way of taking a jab at The Navy for hosting The Nats.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 08:25:55 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2013, 06:34:11 PM »
I was at the '72 nats. Remember trying to sleep under the work tables, while my father got his combat planes sorted out. In his first round of fast combat his lines were cut. i do remember the huge hanger full of airplanes, not to mention building a rubber powered plane. At the age of nine I thought there would be many contests in my future. Unfortunately my father's friend(sic) whos' garage we were building in left his wife, taking everything my father had collected over twenty years. He decided to go salmon fishing on Lake Michigan after that. I still try and get him to fly a couple times a year. He still tells me that airplane modellers ar ethe greatest bunch of people he has ever been associated with. I agree.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2015, 07:11:24 PM »
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading through this oooooold thread.  Brought back a lot of memories about my first two Nats in '59 and '67.

Ted

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2015, 09:35:54 PM »
I attended two Navy Nats, 71 and 72. In 71 went as member of the USAF model airplane team. 1972, flew combat which, Murray Frank was the event director. Went five rounds. Most memorable match was against Bill Rutherford. My pit man, John Deaton couldn't get the motor to start. About four minutes into the match, John got the motor started and just almost threw the plane into the air, Just as Bill flew over. Killed him on the way up. I heard all sorts of words from Bill at that time. Pure dumb luck.
Also remember the hangers full of people at all hours. Mary Lou Brown flying her jet speed plane at dusk. Just a red blur going around.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2015, 10:35:10 AM »
I just found this thread.

My first NATS, I think, was 1962 at Glenview, IL.  I was working my first job out of college at Teletype Corp. in Skokie, IL.

I was mostly flying R/C and some stunt.  I really didn't prepare for NATS, but a week prior, I bought a Voodoo Double kit, and built them both in a week.  The only stunt engines I had were a couple of K&B 35 green heads.

Entering combat, I was quickly destroyed by the team from Mexico.  I think I looked pretty good out there, but this other plane kept appearing from nowhere and eating my streamer.  That was my last combat effort.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2015, 03:27:33 PM »
What year were you on the AF team? I was on the last one, 71.

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2015, 08:34:04 AM »
I stopped in and viewed the '64 Nats and entered in 1965, '69, and '70.  I was surprised that you could just go the Nats without some sort of local qualifying.  There were so many good entries you didn't go with the expectation of winning, just competing in The Big One.

We had so many local contest back then, we didn't know what people were doing 100 miles away.  The Nats was an education.

Paul Smith

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2015, 08:54:23 AM »
This all had to do with the draft and recruiting budgets.

The Army had the draft from around 1940 to 1970.  The Air Force had airplanes and the offer of living in a house on or off base.  The USAF never drafted anybody.

The Navy had a big recruiting budget to get men to join up and live on a ship in peacetime.  I doubt that opening a base up to The Nats once a year even put a noticeable dent in their budget.  Chump change compared to a Blue Angels show.

With the end of the draft and the Vietnam War, the Navy Nats and the USAF team went by the wayside, along with a lot of other military inducement programs.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:52:26 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2015, 03:40:43 PM »
Paul Smith.  The National Model Airplane Championship is open to anyone with AMA membership (or equal).

It really shouldn't be called that, because it is nothing more than a very big contest.  Winning something at the Nats doesn't mean that you are the "best of the best".  That honor goes to those invited to the "Internationals", where only the top few are invited.

In the past, the Nats was rotated around different parts of the country.  Now, those within commuting distance to Muncie have the advantage over those more expert modelers who are just too far away to attend.

F.C.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2015, 02:33:34 PM »
SOOO glad this thread has survived 5 years of chatter. Amazing that so many have similar recollections. I recently heard that  US Senator Proxmire was the one who spear-headed the  killing  of the NAVY NATS.

I remember him as a tall, thin, and  bald- headed man.  If true, I must  add to that description : "CREEP !!!!!!"

Thanks to all who responded. I'm certain  that I crossed paths with many of you at a NAVY NATS.

Hope more will take the time to share  their experiences.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:50:44 PM by Frank Imbriaco »

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2015, 03:56:21 PM »
   ...Somebody say Dawn Cosmillo?...
AMA 11416

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »
Dawn is a  Jersey native  and we are the same age. Unfortunately, she didn't know  me then(or now) and I was too shy to strike up a conversation with an attractive girl ; much less one who could outfly me blindfolded.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2015, 07:51:16 AM »
I think she was every young modelers dream girl along with Annette Funicello.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2015, 09:08:13 PM »
We've tried several times to invite Dawn to the VSC ... with help from De Hill & Larry Scarinzi ... all to no avail.  If I understood correctly, she's just not interested ... is today a Grandmother living somewhere in Florida.

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2015, 06:21:13 PM »
I just noticed this topic. My first Nats was also the last Navy Nats at Glenview 1972. Myself and a young Senior camped out in a pup tent right beside the runway. Great time except for the rainy night. ;D Not very good campers. We were there for the whole week but each of us only entered one event. I was flying some carrier then and the rules were that if you flew profile you couldn't fly the scale events and vice/versa. I flew profile. The plane performed very well with it's Fox .36x r/c plain bearing motor but I missed my landings. He washed out early in Senior combat. Lots of memories are still strong. I took about a half dozen of Larry's Super Satans out for him. He flew out and we met up with Duke and Larry flew for him. I really enjoyed meals in the mess hall and got to see The French Connection for 25 cents at the theater. I got to spend some time with the Browns at the speed circle and that got me cranked up on that event! Some years later George taught me to fly R/C and then introduced me to Pylon racing. The speed and rat guys would practice until dark and the jet would just be a red glow going around at 180 or so! Just the experience of going was extremely illuminating. There I was able to witness and observe the very highest level of model competition. The desire to be 'as good as those guys' has kept me busy (on and off) since then!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2015, 11:29:46 AM »
Hey Tommy, I was there also and tried to fly Class II with my McCoy .60 powered Guardian.   Also remember Ray tried to keep two decks going.   Over 200 profile entries.   Still think it should have been separate from scale carrier.   At our contests attendance dropped off considerably when they changed it so a person could fly all three classes.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2015, 09:54:47 PM »
When I die, I want to come back and 'wake up' in a Navy Nats hangar, 1950-1966!   #^

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2015, 12:32:31 AM »
When I die, I want to come back and 'wake up' in a Navy Nats hangar, 1950-1966!   #^

Me too, but be careful: come back as what?  I bring this up because I got daily phone calls from the "Vindows Technical Center", a scam call center somewhere in India.  They want access to my computer.  Profane insults won't get rid of them, although I thought it amusing when a female caller said to me, "You are not authorized to call me a bitch."  What has proven more effective is to tell the caller that I am tight with Ganesh, and that I shall arrange to have him reincarnated as a worm.  I haven't heard from them since.  
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2015, 08:48:22 PM »
Me too, but be careful: come back as what? . . .
==========================================
...as an enthusiastic 20-year-old Free Flighter (knowing what I know now) -- rather than as a broken-down old fart long past his prime.

(Wish I'd known more about Ganesh, last time I dealt with 'Mujibar', et al.)

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2015, 07:45:42 PM »
Well, ya' gotta' remember, this was back in the days when 'our' AMA (Academy of Multirotors & ARFs) actively supported competition modeling.

My, how times have changed!   HB~>

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2015, 06:19:27 PM »
For the younger folks and 'newbies':

What you missed (in addition to those marvelous workshop hangars) was a week-long extravaganza with all events (CL, FF and RC) flown at a single venue -- plus Indoor events at nearby locations.  And the Nats locations moved around the country (PA, IL, TX and CA), so it would be within reasonable driving distance once every 4 years.

Should I ever win mega-millions in the Lottery and find a suitable location . . . . . .  y1

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2015, 10:28:43 PM »
Every two years here in Kansas.    Texas and Illinois.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2015, 07:50:10 PM »
The story of the NAVY NATS is one that should be chronicled-and soon . I haven't been to the museum in Muncie, so maybe it already has  happened. Anyway, I
think it'd  be a great feature  in  the  AMA  monthly  mag . All of us here would love to see that happen , but  are there enough  AMA members  left who care ?

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2016, 02:51:07 PM »
I entered the 1962 Glenview Nats.  I missed all the excitement of the hangars, chow halls, etc.  I lived in nearby Wood Dale, IL and worked in Skokie.  So I was just a daytime "transient". 

Also attended, but did not enter one of the Los Alamitos Nats.  sometime in the '50s but don't remember.  I lived in nearby Downey, so again, I missed all the fun away from the flight line.

Floyd

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2016, 10:55:05 AM »
a couple of speed flyers who shall be unnamed, were kicked off of Fairchild AFB for drag racing on an unused runway......

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2016, 09:19:33 AM »
Just found my invitation letter, dated July 1969, from the Secretary of The Navy to participate in the July 1969 Jr.&  Sr. NATS Winners Trip to Pensacola, Florida. #^

Also found a number of photos of the group and their activities;all taken by the Navy.

Those were the days !

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2016, 09:40:28 PM »
The story of the NAVY NATS is one that should be chronicled-and soon . I haven't been to the museum in Muncie, so maybe it already has  happened. Anyway, I
think it'd  be a great feature  in  the  AMA  monthly  mag . All of us here would love to see that happen , but  are there enough  AMA members  left who care ?

Check out "Do You Speak Model Airplane?" by the late Dave Thornburg.

Brett

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2016, 02:20:26 PM »
Paul Smith.  The National Model Airplane Championship is open to anyone with AMA membership (or equal).

It really shouldn't be called that, because it is nothing more than a very big contest.  Winning something at the Nats doesn't mean that you are the "best of the best".  That honor goes to those invited to the "Internationals", where only the top few are invited.

In the past, the Nats was rotated around different parts of the country.  Now, those within commuting distance to Muncie have the advantage over those more expert modelers who are just too far away to attend.

F.C.
Floyd- In reply to your assessment that the NAVY NATS was " nothing more than a very big contest" and the "best of the best" won at the Internats, I'd like to reply.
When exactly did the Internats end ? Sometime in the early to mid 50s ??? I estimate  that leaves out most of us that are younger than 80.
I attended 5 Navy NATS in a row .  Graduate school, career and other pursuits put an end to things after 1972. I completed  only 3/4 of the circuit because Los Alamitos was finished after 1967.
Where I differ in opinion with you is that I saw many of the same guys at Olathe( one year- as Dallas wasn't available) that I saw at Willow Grove and again that I saw  three years in a row at Glenview. So, a fair number of contestants  back then could(should) be considered as" the best of the best" as they traveled the "circuit".
I also think that there were so many side attractions to the Navy NATS that it was much more than just  "a very big contest". The opportunities for entertainment( air shows, movies, static displays, etc.), lodging and meals at ridiculously cheap prices,   along with the NAVY treating Junior and Senior winners to a trip to  Pensacola,Florida , and many, many  more.
I haven't been to a Muncie NATS.  With all due respects to the fine  and high level competitors  who do  go to Muncie, your achievements are admirable.
 I'll just politely   say that I'm not stoked about  going to Muncie; having been to   multiple Navy NATS.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2018, 11:23:07 PM »
My one and only Navy Nats was 1964 in my home town Dallas.  It was my last year as a Senior and I had spent the last year designing and building my dream machine.  What happened is one of those events you never forget and one I have never even talked about.  I think the statute of limitations has run out.

It is hard to contemplate over 20 entries in Senior, nearly the number of Opens but those years were the golden days of stunt.  I flew an original design that was very "outside of the box" for 1964.  60" wing, long movements, 5" square twin rudders, 40oz with a Fox 35.  Thing could do legal corners but if the trusty FOX was not hitting on all 1's the overhead 8's became a religious event.  The weather was near perfect the practice day before and the day of Senior Stunt.  No wind to a Texas flier is almost as big a problem as too much.  I knew how to fly in wind and used it.  Without it that beast was floating overhead big time.

In between practice flights a gentleman walked up and asked me if it was a modified Nobler.  I didn't know what to say.  It looked like the offspring between a Ballerina and a Cardinal.  It was as far from a Nobler as you can get but I could tell that he was not being rude so I simple said "No".  He replied, "Well you should try one next time but maybe I can offer some help with your overhead's."  It was George Aldrich.  He had me take out my engine and handed it to of all people, Duke Fox.  A short while later I was handed what looked like my trusty Fox but the back plate was different.  The change in power was breathtaking. I still don't know what he did, or why,  but I will never forget it.  That evening right before appearance judging, disaster struck. My grandmother slipped and put her hand through my outboard wing taking out three ribs 30 minutes before the appearance judging.  Ever heard a horrified scream in a maintenance hangar?  I told the CD and he said I could be judged before the event tomorrow and to go fix my wing.  This was in the days before CA when glue had to dry.

Next day the weather is even worse - Zero wind.  Got appearance judged, after having to explain twice then go get the CD to prove it.  I put up my best flight ever in the 1st round.  It is amazing what having line tension in the overheads will do for your confidence.  4th?    So in the 2nd round I put up an even better pattern but so did some others and I end up in 6th?.  It was as close as I had ever seen scores in Senior.  I was a mere 8 points out of a three way tie for first.  When it was all over and finalized they let us have our scorecards.  Down at the bottom was this giant goose-egg. The judge that scored my appearance points forgot to turn them in!  When they found them I had 21 appearance points! (there were 40 back in 1965).  I was told they were sorry but it was official and too late to change the results.

Some things you never forget and each time I see pictures from the '64 Nats there is this one of Larry Scarinzi (3rd in Open), Barry Simmons (Senior Champ) and Duke Fox and I wonder if Barry ever knew.  I never told anyone.  I heard later that George and Duke were making sure that anyone with a chance to win using a Fox engine was not having engine trouble.  I have no idea if that is true or not but it made me feel better.  Aside from the judge who has probably long since passed away, I am the only one who knows that I won Senior Stunt at the 1964 Nats.

I do know this much though.  Nobody runs down to join the Navy after a trip to Muncie. Those Navy NATS were bigger than life, especially to the Jr. and Sr. fliers and to my little brother, 9 at the time, who watched in awe.  He never flew with me but he did catch the aviation bug there and went on to become a Navy F-18 pilot.  One day he flew into the NAS Dallas before it closed and parked his F-15 on the exact spot on the tarmac where we practiced 25 years before.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:50:44 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2018, 02:09:05 PM »
Hey Ken the 64 NATS was my first also.  By then I was considered an Open age contestant.   I did not fly stunt back then as carrier and combat was what I flew.  Got to fly against the man, Riley Wooten second round of combat and I think I placed 14th in carrier.  Only one class of carrier back then.  My Merco 49 throttle was good for a second at Wichita that year, but at the NATS I needed more high end speed.  Got to meet Larry Scarinzi in the work hanger.  He had his Blue Angel.  Met so many people that year and for this old farm boy who had not been back in the big city it was an experience.  Yes, Duke Fox did not like for his engines to get beat.   So I had to cover my Johnson Combat Special when he walked up.   Years after when ever I would see him at the NATS he would ask if I wash still running dish water in my engines as K&B was my fuel of choice.  Hardly any body in the group flew Fox fuel.  It was either Testers or K&B.  By the way one of the kids I watched grow up and competed with up to that was Junior National Champion when you had to fly several different types of planes for the championship.  It was Wayne Meriwether, who Randy Cuberly should remember.   I think Randy was serving our country at period of time.  Any way keep us posted on the forum here. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2018, 11:39:32 PM »
John:

Small world.  I flew combat (not at the Nats) and piloted rat for Bob Lipscomb (I think that was his name).   I got to fly against Riley Wooton in Lubbock in '65 or '66.  I won but I didn't know who he was until after the match!  My trusty Johnson burped, he overshot me and cut his own streamer!  Best part was that I was flying a VooDoo and he wasn't!   It was double elimination and it took him about 10 seconds to make me a spectator in the finals.

Larry's Blue Angel was spectacular.  It changed the sport.  For a teenager to be able to see Ed Southwick flying his Skylark,  Don Still flying his Stuka,  Lew McFarland flying his Shark (Lew may be a composite memory) was like going back stage at a Beatles concert.

Sorry to admit that I used Fox fuel back then for stunt.  Used Kickapoo Joy Juice for combat.  Is that still on the market?

Ken

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:20:56 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
Didn't some communist protesters sneak into a Navy Nats disguised as modelers and then proceed to raise hell?
Steve

Offline Tom Foster

• New Pilot
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2018, 05:01:15 PM »
My one and only Nats was Dallas, 1956. I was 14 and brave enough to talk my dad into taking me, but what I really wanted to do was watch Speed. My first exposure to CL was 1950 when the Plymouth Internats were in San Antonio, and I saw Jet Speed with the pitcher's mound the center of the circle at old Mission Stadium. In Dallas we stayed in the dorm, ate USMC chow, and hung out in the work hangar. Don Still and his Stuka Stunt were my closest neighbors there.
The hot new thing in Combat was the Sweet Sweep, and I got to watch them before they had to remove the LE fences. One of them got away, and there were some bad moments until it came down near the same circle where it had been. I flew my All American Senior to probably last place, and went to the Speed circles..The Grogan Brothers, Leland Morton, Clem-Beasley-Kirn, and Jimmy Summersett and Dimmitt Perkins in Jet... instantly addicted to nitrobenzene smell in fuel.
Fearless

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2018, 06:17:59 AM »
 Ah, good ole' nitrobenzene. 
Loved the shoe polish fragrance.
A regular in the diet of McCoy 60 Carrier ships on the East coast.

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2018, 08:26:24 AM »
a couple of speed flyers who shall be unnamed, were kicked off of Fairchild AFB for drag racing on an unused runway......

At Selfridge AFB, Michigan, some military brats were doing the same thing on an active taxiway at night and crashed into The Thunderbirds aircraft, killing one of the racers and cancelling the air show the next day.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here