News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:28:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Memories of your first Plane!!!  (Read 24827 times)

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Memories of your first Plane!!!
« on: January 25, 2009, 11:23:46 AM »
Since the crash wiped out this thread, and me, I will repost it.

My first plane was a Smoothie ARF that I got from my grandfather that he bought at contest he brought me to in Wrentham Massachusetts.  This was 2005.    I proceeded to learn the pattern with it over its 2 years of active service.  I only crashed the plane once, trying to learn to fly inverted.  We fixed it tha night and flew it the next day.  I still have the plane and have flown it only once since the end of 2007.  I retired it because it is litterally falling apart, the covering and is ssooooaaaakkked in oil.  I now let my uncle fly it for sport.  The motor mount got soft so when he took off, he almost put it in because it had upthrust in the engine.

So what was your first plane?  Memories of it?

Matt Colan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Memories of your first Plane!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:22:53 PM »
Honestly, I don't remember. I think it was a Guillow Trainer III with McCoy 35. The first plane I flew inverted with was a PDQ Clown with no landing gear and an Enya 19 screaming it's guts out. First full pattern was a scratch built Dick Mathis Coyote with Enya 35.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 03:34:50 PM »

That was a really long time ago, but I learned on a hand-me-down Veco Papoose with an ancient McCoy .19.  I still have the .19 in my engine collection.  The first plane I was able to go inverted with was a Ringmaster Sportster with a then-new McCoy .35.  The Sportster wasn't likely a great plane by todays standards but I enjoyed it a lot and during 4 years of AF duty I always had one hanging in my barracks room ready to fly..

Dalton H.

Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 12:02:22 AM »
Hi Matt,
My first was the family trainer, a Ringmaster Jr. with an old Japanese engine called a Hope 19. Dad had a UReely handle and we lived in the Windy City of Chicago so he would adjust the line length to match the capability of the model against the elements. Everyone in the family learned to fly on it except my brother as he was spoiled (he is the youngest) and got to learn on a Magician with a Fox 35. The Ringmaster is named Pinky, because mom and dad didn't have a ton of dough when they built it and mixed the white and red dope they had to paint the model. I still have it in my shop, I think it was built in 1956. It needs recovered but it's still in one piece.
Chris...

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:35:18 PM »
I still fly the FIREBABY every now or then....My first flight was 1961. The firebaby hangs above my door to the shop!, along with the other six FIREBAY'S........ H^^

Love my first.............. ~^
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 09:51:48 AM »
My very 1st plane had to be a 5 cent chuck glider from the Five and Dime, used to get one every time I could scrounge up a couple pop bottles and a few pennies. Then the Sleek Streaks, Strato Streaks etc. Good fun for a kid.
The 1st C/L plane I flew was a friends Cox PT-19. His family had fewer kids and a bit more dough - so he got the cool stuff before I did. I had the apptitude to read instructions and make stuff work + I had been running toward the sound of any model engine I heard for a few years and watched the bigger guys start and fly their planes. When Gene got his PT-19 I was right there to help, I had the basics of the routine to start and tune a Babe-Bee. 

My 1st C/L plane I owned was a Cox P-51, I crashed it on it on the 2nd flight - Christmas Day around 1969-70. Dad flew the 1st flight and made it look easy. I did a classic figure 9 and broke the wing. Never was the same after that
That Mustang was not as friendly to newbies as the PT-19, too fast and dropped like a rock when the engine quit.

The Sterling 1/2A sheet profile Warbirds were what really got us flying, sometimes the dope was barely dry when we took them down the street to the culde-sac to fly. Cox Super Power fuel would strip the fresh AeroGloss off in an afternoon- but who cared! We flew the wings off those things- literally. Several came apart in flight to our great amusement.

I still have a Sterling ME-109, plus some CG Wizzards for kids to crash when they show up at one of my secret flying sites ( the Park and School boards don't let something as dangerous as model airplanes on THEIR property). Much safer to have herds of kids kicking each other in the legs and running each other down while playing soccer, or build a concrete and steel skate park so they can break bones and get concussions - after they sign a waiver.

R%%%% - but I did pay fees and sign waivers so my kids could play soccer and skate at public parks, then have been run off for flying a C/L model in a back corner away from everything else.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 06:25:59 PM »
Well, I suppose to get technical, my first plane (at about age 8) was a WenMac P-39. It got a whole three flights on it before it was some damaged that it was unrecoverable. Not sure that one counts.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 10:35:13 AM »
My first flying plane was a PDQ clowm with a Cub .09 on it.I craked it up doing a outside loop It would not turn tight enouigh to do it. I repaired it and learned how to do outside loops with it. My brother told me before he died that a friend of his amd him also flew that plane and never told me. I bought a set of solid lines in 1947 and they came on a cardboard real and when i roled them out and i accidently droped the reel and screwed the lines all up. so had to order new set. when got the new set they were cables. I then was able to fly. I was 17 years old then. HB~>
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:23:40 AM by Leo Mehl »

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 07:50:02 PM »
My first was a Firebaby with a Spitzy .045, My Dad taught me to fly while sitting on his shoulders when I was 6, I soloed that day on my own two feet, that was 1956. My first "big" stunter was a Goldberg Buster & McCoy .35 when I was 14, what a great airplane. I flew it for about 4 years, strange though, I don't remember what ever became of it.

Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 12:21:10 AM »
'got kind of carried away on the 1954 thread, where I posted a picture of what probably was (is) my 2nd CL plane. the first must have been a Dil-Bod that I didn't get to fly - lots of bright red dope and a golden #2 on its side, but a recalcitrant Wen-Mac. As with some of my other early models, it's probably good that it did not fly; I don't think my idea of how to use Ambroid on the firewall would have pulled the plane with it for long. My Scientific "Atomic" and some reminiscing are on the other thread. Here's the Dil-Bod ad again, since that's how I wanted it to look.

SK

Offline Mark Oliver

• New Pilot
CL soild wing trainers
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 09:40:58 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get a Guillows trainer #3 or planes?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 08:00:16 AM »
If I remember I will check the shop and see which one I have still in the box.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Oliver

• New Pilot
Memories of your first Plane!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 07:01:22 PM »
to: Control line model airplanes

I guess this is the right forum and subject.  This makes post number 2(two) for me.  I have learned and taught control-line on a trainer.  It was/is a trainer with an upright Fox 35 engine.  AMA has an article and plans in their Air Show Team magazine(Showgram).  I think it's a Guillow's #3 airplane, but I don't know which issue of the Showgram the article is in.  I might be able to get the plans from the Showgram.  It seems like I have been looking for this plane and/or plans forever.  Interesting that now I can get leads in two posts.

Offline Bill Hodges

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 02:49:50 PM »
Ringmaster Jr. with a Fox 15.  Bought both from Leroy Barry who owned Barry's Bicycle and Hobby Shop in St. Augustine, FL. I was fourteen at the time.  Leroy sent his helper in the shop to my house to teach me how to cover with silkspan.  He also introduced me to something called sandpaper.  Geez, who would have ever thought that you need to sand the thing? 

When you walked across the wood floor in the hobby shop, it made a hollow sound.  I can still hear that sound.  Good memories of that place.  Leroy and his wife were great people.  They didn't care if you just came in to hang out for a while without buying anything.  They knew we had to save up our nickles and dimes before we could buy anything.

Leroy also got me together with Donnie Thibault (I still owe Leroy a debt of gratitude for doing that).  Donnie taught me to fly that Ring Jr.  That was forty nine years ago and Donnie and I are still flying together and I still consider him to be my best buddy on and off the flying field.

Bill Hodges

Bill Hodges
AMA 12450

Offline Frank Sheridan

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 07:13:11 PM »
First successful flight was with a Cox PT-19 trainer made from pieces recovered from all the other crashed planes belonging to the neighborhood kids that had NOT flown successfully.

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 08:54:52 PM »
  Megow ROG.  Cost $0.05 from the five and Dime store (Perry Bros) and came with the covering AND a tube of glue (that always ran out JUST before you got the plane built.
  First CL plane Stanzel Shark, O & R 60,  Flew approximaely 4 feet (Two up and two more down and rekitted itsself).

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 08:26:09 PM »
Hi Marvin,

Was you pit man for that four foot flight, ahhhhhh, Oba StClair maybe?

Jim P.... %^@

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 08:40:21 PM »
 I was BOM,  cranker during start, Adjuster of the timer and needle valve.  My dad turned the plane loose and helped pick up the disassembled "kit" and helped tote it home.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 09:34:27 AM »
Sounds like my Dad when I tried to fly my first plane.  It was the original ARF Fire Baby.  He was always my launcher when I would go flying in our hay field in Welborn Ks.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 04:23:54 PM »
First bird was a CG Lil Wizard using a Babe Bee .049. Second was this CG P-40. Eliot School, Tulsa, 1966. First big bird was this Ringmaster with a McCoy 35 RH, Tulsa, 1967. Jim Hill, my father, guided and helped with both...and cut his fingers on engine starts until I could do it myself. It made him joke about his "M1 thumb"--

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 01:23:32 PM »
My first "wood" plane was a Ringmaster Jr. Flash. Wooooooow...Was that a big plane way back then. I had only flown the plastic Cox planes prior to that. I was SURE that that McCoy .19 was in no way big enough to pull that giant plane.

I came upon that plane through a friend. He had a paper route. One summer I watched him build the plane, and was VERY taken by the entire process. His family went on vacation for a month, and thus he did as well. I did his route while he was gone, and I was counting the dollars (in my head) seeing if I could get one of these monsters. However, when he got back, he didn't have the money to pay me. He quickly offered his RJF, engine and all, and I couldn't jump at it fast enough.

The first flight lasted exactly the time it took to do a vertical climb into a wingover and then straight into the ground. The prop broke, the engine got dirt in it, and some covering broke. It was repaired and back in the air. It was all downhill from there. I was totally addicted. That determined my passion for my hobby and my careear for the rest of my life. Amazing to think about a single event that shaped ones life!

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 01:41:02 PM »
I wonder how many of us on this forum had our careers shaped and decided by this hobby?  I know mine was.  First airplane was a carved balsa fuse, solid balsa wing with an .049.  Next engine was an O&R 23.
I still have an .049 like it screwed to my balsa cabinet as a reminder of those times in the hay field.  (Someone else on this thread flew in the hayfield.)
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 08:44:33 AM »
Learned to fly on John and Bill LoRe's Consolidated Magnesium profile. Used the early Fox .25. That is still a wonderful engine. It runs just like its big brother .35. Same 2-4 break. That engine then went on a "Ringmaster", and then an "All American Sr". Learned the stunt pattern with that "All American", Next was Frank McMillan's "Gambler".

All airplanes from there on were my own design with the exception of John D'Ottavio's "JD Falcon" and Ed Elasick's "Impala". I used the Fox .25 again in my own design "Futura" at the "61 Willow Grove Nats

If anyone has not seen the 1954 thread that is refered to, it is a must read.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 12:49:55 PM »
Serge,

Does anyone know is the meaning of the name "Dil-Bod" ?
AMA 7544

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 03:46:12 PM »
1968...PT-19 then Combat Kittens.

Wilder Eber

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »
I wonder how many of us on this forum had our careers shaped and decided by this hobby?  I know mine was.  First airplane was a carved balsa fuse, solid balsa wing with an .049.  Next engine was an O&R 23.
I still have an .049 like it screwed to my balsa cabinet as a reminder of those times in the hay field.  (Someone else on this thread flew in the hayfield.)
Will

Junior/Senior years of high school and after graduation in 60, would fly T-Square after the hay was in the barn.  Dad would launch for me and he loved the T-Square better than my other planes.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 09:50:23 PM »
My first plane was one that my father bought me about 1956.  I was 12 years old and some of the "older" guys were flying c/l planes at a nearby ball field.  I would ride my bicycle over to the field on week ends and watch.

I pestered Dad a lot about getting a plane for me and one day he came home with a silver, solid balsa swept wing, .049 powered c/l beauty.  Problem was that's -all- I had.  No lines, handle, fuel, battery, nothing but the plane.  Hoping the guys that flew would offer assistance and accessories, I proudly headed for the field and some flying.  Those dirty &%$$# made fun of my new plane and told me to take a "hike."

Discouraged, I never got around to actually trying to fly the thing until, maybe, five years later.  Made one lap and hit the ground.  Glued it back together but didn't try to fly it ever again.  Bought a Sterling Super Ringmaster kit sometime in the late 1960's but that's another story.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 08:52:26 PM »
Some where between the age of 4 and 6(about 1960) my dad built this Guillows T-3 powered with McCoy RH .35 for me.
Have film footage of me almost flying it---with Dads help to hold me down.
I think I remember that first time and when the handle was mine about 1/2 a lap of rapid altitude loss and then dad had the handle.
Started serious flying around 8(?) when I would load a gallon of fox superfuel ,battery and lines with airplane onto my bicycle and ride about 6 blocks to the flying field.
I remember wrecking my bike on the way one time and sliding on my chin and belly while holding the airplane in front of me avoiding damage to it.

Over a year or 2's time I must have run 50 gallons of fuel through it and stayed in trouble for skipping school to fly.(with my bud Tommy)

Loops and Flattened loops for learning inverted with at least 1/2 of the inverted flights ending in mud during pull out.
Must have bent and straightened that 10x6 TF nylon prop 1000 times.....
Epoxied the motor mount back on only once!
Has not been flow since I recived a Flight Streak kit for Christmas one year.
The McCoy went to the Streak.

Hope to repair/restore one day. the decals and blue on rudder were added by some dumb kid(me)
I will always remember flying this one...

There is pics of a freshly built one and copy of instructions here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9227394/tm.htm
David Roland

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 07:06:57 PM »
I wonder how many of us on this forum had our careers shaped and decided by this hobby? 

Mine may have been:
Elementry School (friend and classmate Gary Musciano (Walters son))
High School flew with older brother who suggested A&P school (rather tan wandering aimlessly)
A & P School at Teteboro School of Aeronautics (classmate George Gatos GSCB)
Aero Engineering at Embry Riddle Univ
The Boeing Company, 30 years and counting
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 04:02:02 PM »
Started out with plastic models, graduated to chuck gliders and rubber band models.  Then, my grandmother sent me a Super Sabre with OK Cub 049.  That poor little cub couldn't get that heavy plastic thing around the circle.  I'd get someone to throw it as hard as they could with the engine screaming and got 3/4 of a lap once.  That was with full up.  And no, it didn't stall.

Then came the Stanzel 1/2a trainer.  I soloed on that.  Used to take it to the parking lot at the high school that was being built and flew it until I ran out of fuel, or until dark, whichever came first.  My father bought a Stanzel ABC Trainer and a McCoy "36".  He flew it until he allowed me to fly it.  Then he bought a Firecat that I was not allowed to touch.  He totalled it and gave me the ABC trainer and the McCoy.  I then bought a Ringmaster and flew it with the McCoy.

I finally learned to fly inverted with a Lion Tamer wing, the rest of which had been totally trashed, a TLAR Firecat fuse with a 1/16" horizontal stab and elevator, the outside portion of which flew away on the first flight.

And so on ad nauseum.
Bob from NWO:  If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
AMA 15083

Offline Fred Vander Hoek

• VanCam
  • New Pilot
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 02:50:15 PM »
Xmas 1957, Thimble Drome (Cox) TD-4 Trainer. After that was totaled, the Baby Bee went on a Baby Ringmaster.

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »
After a number of years of flying things like Cleveland rubber powered, Walker gliders, Hornets, and Cieling Hoppers, and building a number of Enterprise and Scientific kits, I finally learned to fly CL with an Enterprise profile P-51 with an older O. K. Cub .099.  Even leaarned to do wingovers with it.  Could never keep the LG on it, so I got most of my flying with it hand launched.
Tony

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 06:53:14 AM »
I know that this a couple of days late but I had to share. I remember a Wen Mac Beechcraft Bonanzer that was trouble. A 1/2a balsa Folker Tri plane that flew great. Ringer Jr. OK cub .099. We would nail 4 wheels to a piece of wood and a mount for a Fox, hook up some string and watch it go around in the school yard. We would also make flat bottom swamp boats and take them to the lake and let'em fly on the water, that was fun. Two of these racing around just missing and sometimes hitting each other, Good stuff! LL~ We would bring a fishing rod with a float to get them when they ran out of gas. In those years we made scooters out of a 2X4 and a milk crate with roller skate wheels, so I mounted a McCoy RH35 on it and it would pull me along! The niehbers were'nt happy, but what the hay, I was just a ute! n~ n~ ;D

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »
Mine started with a plastic P-40, don't remember whether it was Cox or Testors either way, I flew it, it didn't fly great but it did fly quite a few times.  Dad would fly an old Sterling SE-5A (Mccoy .35) and later a Sterling Corsair (Fox .35). 

The first one i built and flew was a Sterling Mr. Mulligan, I found that  at The Depot hobby shop on Lantana road probably about 1980 and paid $2.50 for the ancient used but unbuilt kit.  I flew and crashed it a few times, its been rebuilt at least twice and I still have it after not flying for 25+ years.  Now I'm trying to get back into flying and it may be one of the planes I use again, so it just won't go away! LL~ LL~
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Offline George.h.yen

• New Pilot
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 08:40:04 PM »
My first model plane was bought from Thunder-Tiger at 1976,It is cost NT:220(About 5.5USD),When I was a e lementary student just 12 age.

The time pass 33 years ......

Fly life

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 08:30:12 AM »
33 years, that seems like yesterday to me now.  Bet the area the picture was taken doesn't look that now.  The place I first flew control line is still there where I lived.  The people that now own the house have added to it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline George.h.yen

• New Pilot
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 09:59:01 AM »
Chinese's old-proverb says :when you see your heart ,the memory power still follow you...So, Keep younger

My old picture's place was change  to much,It was have two wild ponds that live so much fish and lotus.

But it's danger to me that I only 5 years-old...I walk to the wild pond by myself along....

After few hours....When I wake-up in the hospital....Ha...

Nice to meet you , I come from Taiwan,A beautiful island.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:05:30 AM by George.h.yen »
Fly life

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2010, 08:57:37 AM »
My first control line model was a "Spook 48".  For those of you not acquainted with vintage free flight, it was a gull-wing cabin free flight plane.  It was a gift, and the doner showed me how to install a bellcrank and hinge the elevators.  Although a free flight, it was pretty heavy and covered with "bamboo paper" and a whole lot of nitrate dope (or maybe super Kem-Tone?).

I installed my new Ohlsson 23 with all the spark ignition stuff.  Well, at 48" wingspan and all that weight, it just barely got airborne with that little engine chugging away.  It flew mostly with slack lines and dubious control.  Being a free flight plane, it pretty much went around by itself, regardless of my control input.

That was in 1945.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline dick shannon

• New Pilot
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 09:47:20 PM »
I will go back to the mid 50's Dave Borland started our club in West Seattle and we all flew in vacant lots in WS... to name a few people I started to fly with Henry Nelson loved diesels and loved 1/2A flying with his older friend Dick Love. In 1959 I traveled to the nationals with my good friend Ted Fancher and a couple of other fellow students. I have returned to the great hobby after all this time... and found that many people such as Ted NEVER LEFT... WOW.... I now fly with the control line people in AZ. Before ending I would love to mention a few more people that I flew with in the NW. Jerry Thomas{ jet speed my mentor} Jim Booker { speed flyer} Ted's late brother Gary Fancher. thanks
 Dick Shannon

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »
Dick Shannon....Hmmmm....I don't recall ever meeting Dick Shannon, but did once fly a combat match against Henry. Some playfield over in WS. He had a Voodoo with a .35GH on it, and didn't get it started. I only recall having two matches against .35GH's, and neither got started.

I flew speed around Seattle in the middle '60's...Rollie Hillesland, Keith Loutocky, Jerry Wagner, Chuck Stohlmeyer, Brian Mace, Chris Sackett, Bill Case, Glenn Holm, Bill Bradley, and some I have forgotten. Knew Jerry Thomas, but not Ted Fancher. Finally met Ted at NW CL Regionals about 8 years ago.

Were you the Shannon of Shannon & Delaney speed team? And was that Gordan Delaney, of Utah, by chance? If so, it's really a small world afterall!  LL~  Speaking of small worlds, Dan Rutherford hasn't recently told the story about running into you in a restaurant in Albany, OR. Let's just leave it that way...  ;D

I have a large framed picture of the original Seattle Skyraiders members from 1963, courtesy of Steve Stevenson's niece, Gem. I could be wrong, but I think you might be in it? There are some in the picture I remember very well, and don't remember the name to go with the face. I'd like to fix that. Maybe Homer Smith, or Al Likely, would remember the names. Welcome back!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2010, 02:46:33 PM »
Mine was a army green 1/2a PT Ringmaster with Raf bulls eyes on the wings and dowel rod machine guns.  ;D  It was a blast. 
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 09:53:50 PM »
Hmmm....Berkeley Mini-Zilch, Cub .049, circa 1950.  Never left the ground.  First "real" attempt was a Fox .29 Ringmaster, c.1952.  Half a lap, straight overhead and into the ground.  Had NO clue about proper control.

Next up: Sterling Yak-9...same Fox 29.  Made two laps before "going in".

Things improved after that, although (as "friends" will attest) by not all THAT much.   LL~
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Online Mike Wada

• ACE
  • Ensign
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 11:41:34 AM »

My First plane was a Sterling 1/2a Mustang with a Cox Golden Bee .049 motor, it was painted with silver Aero Gloss dope and acutally lasted a very long time.  I recall this engine was just marvelous, at it started easily and just kept running and running.  I remember putting all my flying stuff in the front basket of my Schwin bicycle, plane in one hand and riding to a park about a mile from my home.  My parents always made sure I had a Pint can of Cox power fuel to go.  This was nice time in my life, I was in the 3rd grade, Lahaina Maui 1963.
Mike Wada
AMA 512393

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 11:52:01 AM »
My first plane would have been a North Pacific skeeter -- we had those around the house since day 1, thanks to dad (who never flew models seriously, but kept us supplied with those North Pacific things).

My first stick-built plane was a Comet Neuport 11 -- no one told me you were supposed to spritz the tissue with water after covering, so it was a bit wrinkled...  I think I was 11 at the time!!

My first control line would have been a Sig something -- probably a 1/2-A Skyray.  Second was a Sig Beech Staggerwing, and third was a Sig Dewybird (I've got another one sitting by my elbow, waiting to be built, and a soft spot for CL planes with dihedral).

Then a Ringmaster, then I got distracted by RC, college, and kids, in that order.  I'm coming out of it now.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 11:57:25 AM »
My first plane was only around 16 years ago ( I was 10 ) was the great Cox PT-19 when they were selling them at Walmart!!!! My dad got me one and my uncle got my cousin the Corsair.   We had a blast with them.  I then graduated to a Sterling beginners P-51 1/2a with a worn-out blackwidow that barely held level flight lol.  16 years later here I am jumping back in the thrill of it!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2010, 03:34:07 PM »
Jamie, sahme on you,  don't you know the Cox PT-19 and the Corsair were the worst flying planes around, if you got them to fly. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~I have lost count how youngster I helped get to flying with the Cox planes and a couple of Testors.  They were meant to get one started, like the A-J Firebaby.  Glad to hear you are back at it. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2010, 02:33:08 AM »
Actually the PT was a decent flyer for me.... semi wing-overs, touch and go's, and the great running backwards in a circle when landing was always great. I still have the plane except for the wing. I've seeme to have misplaced it over the years but still have the fuselage, tail section, motor mount and stock cox engine!

Jsut need to get another wing and Ima fly it again!!

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2010, 04:10:43 PM »
Actually the PT-19 had lots of wing area, so it flew better then most of the plastic sleds. A freind and I bought one to play with, not as a first airplane, I'd been flying all my life. Anyway, I said 'let's do same carrier landings". So we got some 1/4" flat rubber, (being a rubber flyer I had plenty) and drove a couple stakes to hold the rubber about 2" above the blacktop at the local school parking lot. I made a hook, can't remember how I attached it, and we went flying. We spent hours rolling in the grass laughing every time one of use managed an arrested landing. The rubber would stretch out and the rubber bands on the wing would pop go off and the model's pieces would fly off in opposite directions doing all manner of wild gyrations. It survived our play time and we gave it to a  neighbor kid that showed up to watch, fuel, battery and box, ready to go. He never flew it, I'd see him around the 'hood and ask, but he never did get it out, If I'd known that was the case, I'd have kept it.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline George.h.yen

• New Pilot
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2010, 02:16:21 PM »
Jamie, sahme on you,  don't you know the Cox PT-19 and the Corsair were the worst flying planes around, if you got them to fly. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~I have lost count how youngster I helped get to flying with the Cox planes and a couple of Testors.  They were meant to get one started, like the A-J Firebaby.  Glad to hear you are back at it. H^^

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:51:43 AM by George.h.yen »
Fly life

Offline jim ivey

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2010, 07:48:18 PM »
I think I may have already told this story. but you may enjoy hearing it again. Mine was a 25 cent comet Structo-Speed P51 mustang kita a 5 cent tube of testors fast-dry glue Hadto go back to the hobby shop to get more a 1/2 dozen gillette double edge blueblades (which I used to cut hell out of myself, so i could get glue in the cuts to make me cry. I tryed test gliding it. All that did was break it. So I wound up the rubber motor, sat it on the front porch to launch it off like an aircraft carrier. well the prop spun it moved forward about 2 inches and quit. motor ran down. next I really wound it up! rubber band broke inside the fuse and destroyed my p-51 HB~>:'(  Still makes me :'(   jim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here