General control line discussion > AS TIME GOES BYE

MEMORIES OF YOUR FIRST HOBBY SHOP that led to your ADDICTION?

(1/30) > >>

Shultzie:
So maaaaaaaaaaaaany shops!!!
First addiction, perhaps like so maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany of us that help feed our first addictions.....had to be AHC advertising in every major model mag-rag.

But my first real addiction was fed by a little hobby shop that was located across from the Iowa State Fairgounds in DesMoines Iowa. It was located just a short distance from my Woodrow Wilson grade and jr. high school.
Even more addicting...it was located on the sidewalk on my way home from school. My twin sister Mary Jo and I would stop in every day to spend our school lunch money change to buy candy or peanuts or a bottle of coke-aaaah-cola from their machines just inside the shop door.
Hummm?
Not only did they feed my habit for cola n candy...BUT FAR AND WAY WORSE!!! MY LIFE LONG ADDICTION TO MODELING!!!
For example...right next to the candy machines...were those little "GOOD TO GO" balsa wood gliders & rubber powered models that were priced almost as cheaply as those sweet toothed snacks.
It wasn't long before my sister Mary was walking the rest of the way home...and tattle-talin' to my grandmother about how I would often save and then spend my lunch money...ON MY NEW ADDICTION TO MODELING!!!

I KNOW ANYONE LURKING..MUST HAVE THEIR OWN "HOBBY ADDICTION STORY?"
Trust me...YOU WILL FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLL! SO MUCH BETTA...if you just...
"STOP!"
Lay down on Sparky's website internet COUCH and SHARE YOUR OWN ADDICTION STORY WITH US?

Just One-eye:
I was in a town of 5,000 when I started building model planes.  I didn't know that enough people were interested in models to have a store just for hobby stuff until I was almost 11, I think.  All of my early supplies were purchased at a variety store that didn't offer much selection.  Then, a couple of teenagers began bringing their CL glow planes to the football practice field below the Junior High, that was just across some vacant lots from where I lived, and before they decided to ignore me any time I didn't have money in hand for their castoffs, I learned that their hardware came from one or another of two stores some 30 miles away in the nearest city. 

I further never realized that model building was of interest to adults as well as to kids, or that entire monthly magazines about the hobby were being published until I actually was inside my first hobby shop, Jefferson Hobbies, after we moved to Texas. 

Joe Gilbert:
Mays Hobby shop in Sapulpa Oklahoma, she had lots of stuff. We raced Slot Cars there also. Trains, airplanes and lots of stuff she had a Fire Baby left over from the old days and dad got it to play with. Every body that flew control lint in Sapulpa flew it for fun. This was in 1966.

Dave Nyce:
I don't like to use the word addiction, but I knew I had to fly more, right after my first flight on my cousin's Li'l Jumpin' Bean. I crashed the plane after about 3 turns, but was thrilled by the experience. We went to the local hobby shop later that day. My family was visiting my cousin's family in Florida, so I don't remember the name of that hobby shop. I built the wing while we were still in Florida, and finished the plane when I got back home in Pennsylvania. After that, I flew a lot, and also started a local club. Believe it or not, the best palce I found to buy plane kits and engines in my area was at the local J.C. Penney's store. Babe Bee engines were $2.99.

The first hobby shop that I really liked, a few years later, was the Penn Valley Hobby Center in Lansdale, PA. It is still in business.

Dave

Dave Nyce:
I forgot to mention that the Babe Bee engines for $2.99 at J.C. Penney's was around 1961.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version