General control line discussion > AS TIME GOES BYE

MEMORIES OF YOUR FIRST HOBBY SHOP that led to your ADDICTION?

<< < (30/30)

Robert Zambelli:
For me, the start was Thompson's Sporting Goods and Hobbies, on North Seventh St in my hometown, Vineland, NJ.
I started going there in the early 50s and got to know the owner, Mrs Thompson, quite well.
A section of the store was dedicated to model aircraft and she had an incredible display of model kits, mostly Sterling (Vineland was around 30 miles south of Philadelphia) and PDQ (in the neighboring town of Millville). She even had some speed kits - Hell Razors and Speedwagons.
One time she made me a special offer: Since glow was "in" and spark was "out", she showed me a shoebox FULL of spark coils and Champion spark plugs, telling me I could have them FOR FREE. No, I didn't take them. Young and stupid, I guess. I was around eight years old.
We moved to the Buffalo area in 1954 and I never saw the hobby shop again   :'(.  I'm sure it's long gone.
But then we found Burd's Hobby shop on Delaware ave, in Tonawanda, NY. But, that's a story for another time.

Bob Z.

Robert Whitley:
Moro-Craft in Edmonton, Alberta.
1/24&HO slot car tracks and all kinds of model airplane supplies but not much that was really modern for the day. (Early ‘70s)
R&M Hobbies which had awesome quality balsa and locally brewed fuel. They always had a really good selection of modern engines, kits and hardware.
Another really good shop was Northern Hobbies but I never went there very often since it was quite a ways across the city for me to get to.
Later another good hobby shop called Sunflight Hobbies opened. It too was pretty good.
Of course most of the owners and staff in all these shops were model builders themselves.

All are long gone and we now have Great Hobbies and Wholesale Hobbies both of which have helpful staff but not much for controlline. They both are generous with gift card donations for our annual contest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version