News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:51:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lets talk about GENE SCHAFFER today?....photos by Les McDonald  (Read 22430 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
While looking through some of Les McDonald's slide collections from the early and mid 70's this morning...
I still can't think of any CLPA flyer alive then..and even today... that could equal Gene's amazingly talented skills...in just about every phase of the sport. H^^ D>K
LET'S TALK ABOUT GENE SHAFFER TODAY!!!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:18:13 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Online Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
Re: Lets talk about GENE SCHAFFER today?....photos by Les McDonald
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 03:23:21 PM »
Last week at the KOI Walter Umland had several of his new offerings on display.
I was very impressed with his prototype "Stunt Machine". It was extremely light and just had "The Look".
There is no doubt in my mind that with one of these new power programs it could be a very special weapon.
Gene would be thumping his chest!
                                                              Les McDonald
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:54:52 AM by Shultzie »
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »
Thanks....LES!
Ted Fancher, Bob Hunt, and you also  have written so really fun stuff about your days...when Gene Shaffer were often flying many event together....

Les...Again, thanks for sharing these beautiful old slides with us...(uhh? Les, I have been keeping them carefully together in my slide folder with your address...so  anytime you'd like them returned...or scans made on my Epson V300 toy, just say da' verdski? H^^
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:55:18 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 07:47:35 PM »
Genes Genesis was the 1973 team trials winner. i got to watch Gene fly from 1968 to 1979  at Flushing meadows park NYC he had a knack for wind flying that's not done anymore.
there is a line of flyer's that to me are connected in their styles Gene,Jimmy Cassale and Paul walker the best pilots that i have seen. I'm sure there are many others of this line that i haven't seen.
I will attempt to attache photos of the USA AMA had it at home for photos and measurements this model predates the Stunt Machine and is classic legal flown at 1970 Nats.
Jose Modesto
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:55:38 AM by Shultzie »

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
I think all of Gene's birds are now N-30 qualified.  My favorite of Gene's birds will always be the Stunt Machine, I have the published plans but they do not look accurate to the bird I remember
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:56:00 AM by Shultzie »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:35:11 AM »
Here is a picture of Gene at the GSCB Snowbird Meet. 2-23-64.

I am also adding the group picture again. There are other pictures from this event of more people that are interesting. I will have to reduce them and maybe post them separately since it is like a who's who of N.E stunt, who attended that event. I guess we were all crazy in those days because it was a popular contest.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:56:23 AM by Shultzie »
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 12:36:22 PM »
Genes Genesis was the 1973 team trials winner. i got to watch Gene fly from 1968 to 1979  at Flushing meadows park NYC he had a knack for wind flying that's not done anymore.
there is a line of flyer's that to me are connected in their styles Gene,Jimmy Cassale and Paul walker the best pilots that i have seen. I'm sure there are many others of this line that i haven't seen.
I will attempt to attache photos of the USA AMA had it at home for photos and measurements this model predates the Stunt Machine and is classic legal flown at 1970 Nats.
Jose Modesto
Thanks Jose...for sending those beautiful high resolution photos...(one at a time for posting here this morning.
Hey gang...before I reduced the resolution and size..here are a few of the words inked on those  inked acess panels.
starting at the inside wing tip.
FUEL DUMP
DASH POT TRIM
CAUTION. 2000 VOLTS
CONDIUT ACESS
GYRO ACC.
HYDRO PULSEELEC. IND.
TEST BRAKE HYD. ACCESS
PRESS HERE
RAT-MOUSE ACESS
(BAT ACCESS--for Randy Powell H^^) just razzin'
WARNING OXY-STORAGE
GEAR DRIVE
TEST VENTS
FLOAT SW
EMERGENCY 1-2-3-4
STATIC GROUND SU ACESS
TEST BRAKE...
(plus many many more inked items on the right wing as well as the stab and elavator undersides.)
''????????!!!
However sadly...he left out the QUOTE OF THE 70'S TIMES..."BAN THE BRA!" (However that was already used first by Dave Gierke's beautiful Novi 3 waay back in 67 or so... H^^

Looking forward for post more of your collection and also really enjoyed your well written E mails about other gifted CLPA souls from the past...your friend the late Rene Mechum and Ray Moore would be fantastic if you could start new posting here on  our Grunt of the Day.  
It great to hear stories and photos of these CLPA friends....gone all too soon.

Hey Gang...CHECK OUT THE DETAIL ON THE BOTTOM OF THIS MODEL..(where only the best of the best artistical' addicted genius model finishers dare to tread! H^^
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:56:42 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 01:07:36 PM »
TOM...
This shot of yours...is the best I have ever seen of Gene! WOW! That is a keeper
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:57:06 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 02:50:09 PM »
Jose Modesto

The last time I saw Hank Womble, he told a story of Gene wind flying.  Basically Hank went to lunch with Gene flying a pattern in very windy conditions.  He comes back and finds Gene wind flying.  He went over and asked a guy how long he has been at it and the guy looks at his watch, and says, "oh, bout 45 minutes."  Grandpa told me Gene could square the airplane while wind flying, I guess that takes talent.  If you only had a video camera in those days...

Grandpa has also told me that I fly inverted like the way Gene did, holding my hand up to my head and sighting my height from my hand to the airplane, he said Gene used to do that.  I'm not sure I can do that much more since I'm growing and am working on 5'7" to 5'8".

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:57:25 AM by Shultzie »
Matt Colan

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 07:27:29 AM »
Shultzie,

About 10 years later Gene and his family were at our house and we had a ball playing 4 handed piano. Gene was quite a musician.
I showed him that picture and he didn't remember the airplane.

Also in the uncropped photo. Look close at the lower wing tip of the airplane that Gene is holding. (Yes that is the inboard tip, since Gene flew the other way.) The airplane on the snow is also Gene's. He did a lot of winning with that airplane.

Back in those days, quite a lot of us did some wind flying, but Gene was the master. He would even take the prop off, and put the spinner back on and have some one launch the airplane into the wind. He could do most of the stunt pattern.

Gene had another trick. that I have never seen anyone duplicate. He could fly the pattern BACKWARDS starting with the stem of the clover and rewinding the maneuvers!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:57:45 AM by Shultzie »
AMA 7544

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 12:51:24 AM »
additional Photos of Gene's USA AMA
Jose Modesto
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:58:06 AM by Shultzie »

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 09:30:04 AM »
Man his designs were sexy! I drooled over the Stunt Machine as a kid. They are so clean and tapered to a fare-the-well! N30 here I come! H^^
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:58:37 AM by Shultzie »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 10:00:32 AM »
Jose...
THOSE CLOSE-UP detailed shots are truly AWESOME!
THANKS for taking the time and effort for scanning and resizing these! Truly collector photos!
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 10:02:36 AM »
Looks like someone has too much time on his hands.  Gorgeous airplane tho.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 10:08:32 AM »
Looks like someone has too much time on his hands.  Gorgeous airplane tho.

LL~ LL~ Not to be outdone...but check Jose's next post!!!! GREAT SHOTS! JOSE! Thanks for sharing these!!!
Don Shultz

Online Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 11:19:41 AM »
Sorry, no pics, but when we published Gene's "Hallmark" stunter in Stunt News a few years ago, he was very gracious with information and support.  Absolutely great flying stunt ship!
ama 72090

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 08:31:50 PM »
One more of Gene's OS Max 35 Genesis as it sat in Big Jim's cellar This Model lost in house fire.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:19:59 PM by Shultzie »

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 04:47:37 PM »
Ummmm,

Wasn't Vietnam starting to become the "Thing" around early '65?  Well, how did y'all happen to keep out of the Military? The good o'le Air Force grabed me from April 1964 until April 1968.  Quite a bit of good modeling time.
Also, I was unlucky enough to fall in love with a girl and got married in Feb 1969.  Oh how life interferes with modeling!

Jim Pollock   HB~>

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 02:16:46 PM »
I just noticed this thread!! I can't believe I missed this. As Jose Modesto knows,(mom liked him best) Gene was and still is my hero. For me, this is THEE man. If the camera that dad brought for me when I was young, wasn't such a piece of crap,(he didn't trust me to travel with his Nikons-I own them now and, I have my own) you would have seen some serious kick-ass photos of Gene.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »
The Stunt Machine has always been one of my favorite planes. Weirdly, I never built one, but may in the future. I really like the bubble canopy on the one shown here. Just a cool plane.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 11:15:53 AM »

Just yesterday I was wandering through my local HOME DEPOT..LOOKING FOR SOME NEW TILE FOR MY GARAGE STORAGE ROOM when I saw a display of some very familiar looking .79 cheap brown floor tile. MEMORIES CAME FLOODING SUDDENLY BACK TO 1968.
Here is Gene's 1968 Kansas stunter....that I CLEARLY remember Gene getting some pretty sizable RAZZIN N JAZZIN GAMESMANSHIP from a few of his fellow competitiors  (name with held to protect the guilty)that his radical new faux paint job...DUPLICATED TO AN AN  EXACT  "T" that SAME COLOR SCHEME as that Navy barracks dorm room's TILE FLOOR that we had been bunkin' up in for the past few days...compliments of the US NAVY.

My old Sting Ray was sittin just one model back from his in the staging area....and after the LAUGHING STOPPED..."Gene stood up...gave that slow sly grin and looked closely at our stunt models.  I quit grinning when he began to lift his foot into the "STOMPING MODE" when a couple of my fellow long time peers'...looked over and Gene with a wide azzzzgrin...and pointed toward me and my stunt model.
That is when I snapped this picture for the memories....

Humm? Although I did hear from a few modelers later...(including Bob Hunt) didn't share our joke all that much...and that they actually liked that CHEAP FLOOR TILE FAUX paint job on Gene's mean machine?

HEY GRUNTS...HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS MODEL FOR PAINT APPEARENCE POINTS?
Don Shultz

Online Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 11:32:37 AM »
I think it's fantastic.

It's exactly how I'm going to finish the modified Caprice I'm building.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 01:48:27 PM »
I think it's fantastic.

It's exactly how I'm going to finish the modified Caprice I'm building.

Mike!!! Really????
Don't ya think it looks like an old Black 32 Ford that been sittin' out in the weather for decades? Looks like a black paint job...with mostly red rust peekin' through-------and even worse, that paint job also brought back some memories of another event in my suspect  early life.
Seeing Gene's FLOOR TILE FAUX JOB....reminded me of that old Tillamook county jail's cells institution's  cheap floor tile that was on the floor when a bunch of us HighSchool seniors..."were retained for questioning after we got caught setting bales of hay on fire in the center of the towntown street square on Halloweenie night...waaay back in 1957! VD~ VD~ LL~ LL~ n~
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 04:17:22 PM »
A very beautiful paint job. To imitate marble isn't easy. y1 H^^
Hummm? Is this model of Gene's is suppose to simulate marble? Even harder I would think would be to imitate a rust bucket paint job like this one? Perhaps lending truth to that old saying: One is truly only as good as their last paint job?" "NOT FUNNY HUH?  S?P H^^
 LL~ VD~ S?P H^^
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:37:17 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 10:49:10 PM »
Hey, to each his own. The leprous black doesn't do much for me, but everybody likes something. I understand it flew pretty well as all of Gene's stuff did.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 07:33:05 AM »
Yes, I think the intention was to simulate marble. And yes, I think Gene pulled it off.

More importantly, it looks different. I applaud the effort to make something that nobody's seen before. Put that down on in the flight pits, and you're going to get a reaction.  And I'd rather have "ugly that gets a reaction" than "pretty, but bland, and nobody really cares".

About the only main change I would make is that I wouldn't put the gray marbling effect in the white trim. I'd keep that pure white, to better contrast against the black/orange of the main color. (I might also go with red instead of the orange.)

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 09:36:08 AM »
Talking about Gene's plane that way is sacrilege. Did you know that plane is were Bob Hunt's CAPRY comes from. Gene gave Bob the numbers and the Capri is born. The Capri is by far the most dominant CLASSIC plane being used today. If VSC is the proving ground then its the best today. a couple of photos of the STUNT MACHINE not done bu Gene but a great rendition of his design.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 10:24:27 AM »
 LL~ LL~ LL~SACRILEGE? Yes...we know that our beloved Hunt took this awesome design and RAN TO THE BANK WITH IT!! H^^ H^^
AGAIN JOSE..THESE LAST TWO SHOTS OF YOURS OF GENE SCHAFFER'S ICONIC PERFECTION STAND ALONE...to show the GENIUS OF CLPA PERFECTION. WOW!

You should have seen the look on Gene's face when he first took that "Gamesmanship flack from a few of his close friendly peers" when he sat that "Faux-finished model of his down next to a line up of purty white jet style stunters in that staging area.  n1

If a certain flying buddy of his...hadn't mentioned that the finish on that beautifully built and flying "Pre-Capri" colorization matched the NAVY BARRACKS TILE FLOOR SCHEME TO A T that morning at the eliminations...(and the remark about the tile floor thang-thing?)
 Now I wish that we could have simply  taken the time that morning just to note just how beautifully and artisitcally crafted that this radically finished mean-lean stunt machine of Gene's "IN REALITY truly made a  STRONG STAND ALONE STATEMENT.
 Remember too,  that the NAVY STAFF was doing the judging and because of that reason alone,  so many stunt models were style and profile NAVY JET trim appointed stunt models... even more blantent...a select few (names withheld to protect the guilty) of the stunt flyers themselves attempted to even dress in pristene white  " COPY-KITTY NAVY NURSES UNIFORMS" to gain some kind of "impression point thing" that if the Navy judging staff SHOULD OR COULD  have done their jobs as instructed during "TRAINING DAY"....

Then  all this jet style and posturing in wearing White Navy look-a-like garb non-sense would prove to become a meaningless and fruitless effort.
In the end...
Gene was truly BRAVE-BOLD-and HONEST and simply chose to let he and his radically painted model do the DUTY-DIRTY FINAL UPSMANSHIP DEED  by simply flying the best pattern of the day at Olatha Nationals CLPA 1968.

Perhaps after all these years...HOPEFULLY? Time has changed...or has it when it comes to flying CLPA competition. Ideal would or could it be....IF A CLPA model was judged not for just how it looks..but HOW ACCURATELY IT FLIES THE CLPA PATTERN...no matter if the model is finished with a FAUX FUR-OR FEATHERS OR MARBLE TILE PAINT SCHEME PATTERN...Hey what next????
HOW BOUT' A NEW STUNT MODEL...PAINTED LIKE THOSE AWESOME CRITTERS FROM AVATAR?
WOW!
U AIR BRUSH ARTISTS
...JUST THINK OF THE POSSIBILITES?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 01:09:20 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 06:00:39 PM »
Here's another shot of Gene's beautiful "Blackbird." Those who think it looks like a bus station floor just have no soul... Or is it sole?

And Jose... It's the Caprice, not the Capri ;)

Bob Hunt

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 06:49:34 PM »
 LL~ LL~
Anyone standing around there in the staging area that morning perhaps would also agree with you that Gene's CLPA was truly an OUTSTANDING and exceptional well made CLPA stunt machine....
however to say that those of us standing around there that morning razzin' Gene about his Fuzzy-wuzzie paint job and were not BLOWN AWAY at Gene's FAUX' MARBLE, FUR COAT PAINT SCHEME.....HAVE NO SOUL?
Now that I think about that moment....the only folks standing around that model in the long line up of models were close friends and peers of Gene and just maybe were a bit startled to see that kind of radically different paint scheme and took the liberty to dish out a bit of humored gamesmanship to that moment in time.  

I too remember the razz and ribbing that my good close friendly competitior AL RABE that day was also receiving for his unique and different virtually full scale like CLPA Bear Cats and P-51.
And just next to Gene's mean machine...
Bob Baron was also taking a HUGE AMOUNT OF GAMESMANSHIP FLACK from almost every CLPA traditionalistic stunt flyer on the line that day. Even one of his closest long time fellow competitiors....walked up with his beautiful modified Nobler and bent down and gave Baron a pat on the back...saying: "Hey Bob....the COMBAT CIRCLE IS WAAAAAAY OVER ON THE SIDE OF THE FIELD?"
Bottom line: HEY ROBIN and ALL MY BELOVED AND CHARISHED BROTHA'S IN BALSA DUST... SORRY I LAID A BAD EGG on everyone who..has a perfect right to share their own likes and dislikes about CLPA. DIVERSITY in model design is I STILL ADVOCATE IS  A GOOD THING!
Bob..
You know how much I love that new Caprice model of yours...even though I still think bottom line that beautiful  YOUR  AMAZING CROSSFIRE.... TO SHULTZIE....IS THE MOST BEAUTIFULLY DESIGNED AND BUILT MODEL THAT THIS OL' KITE-TOY AIRPLANE KOOT HAS EVER SEEN.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 10:02:12 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 10:00:30 PM »
Uh, Don... I was kidding with you ;)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 10:08:14 AM »
I only said it wasn't to my taste. Doesn't mean it's not really good execution and craftsmanship. Everybody like something. Some people even like Bronze.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 10:25:28 AM »
Uh, Don... I was kidding with you ;)

Morn' Bob!
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed our Phone-hanger talk session last night...about everything from toy airplanes....music....doodle-art....motorcylces...ping pong and again, Thanks for always being there as my friend and bro for all these years and uplifting my spirit again. (However.. VD~ VD~ VD~ S?P Why can't I get that vision of CROSSFIRE out of my head this morn? n~ H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 10:32:30 AM »
I only said it wasn't to my taste. Doesn't mean it's not really good execution and craftsmanship. Everybody like something. Some people even like Bronze.   ;D
LOL!
THANKS RANDY!!! LL~ LL~
Bob and I both gabbed about how amazingly Beautiful New Ride of yours is.....however I kept having this gnawing feeling he was disappointed that you didn't paint it COPPER N BRONZE LL~ H^^
Don Shultz

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 11:21:38 AM »
Hunt i was thinking about a sail boat called the Catalina Capri sorry about the name mix up. Here is a photo of my favorite  Gene's ST46 ships, THE STATESMAN. this ship was under 50oz.
The photos of the STUNT MACHINE  was built by MonteS photos taken from STUKA STUNT
Gene won two(2) team trials one with the 35 Genesis and one with the STATESMAN but the Hallmark is better known.
The STUNT MACHINE lost a place on the 72 team(71 team trials)the motor quit at top of clover exit Gene whipped the model  what he thought was 2 laps but it was decided that he did not complete the 2 level laps prior to landing and the STUNT MACHINE missed a team placing. 72 team Werwage, Gieskie,Phelps, Gene 4 or 5Th
This from a pilot that could wind fly for many minutes at a time. That one must of hurt.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 06:57:08 PM »
A few more shots of Gene....From Claudia Kenhnen's Photo stream which always a  great place to find beautiful old World Cup photos.
Don Shultz

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 02:33:33 PM »
I love how on the nose it says " Ban the Bra!". Must have been 69 to 71.I have to beg the old lady to put one on these days! LL~

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 05:21:56 PM »
John,

I can't see Ban the Bra anywhere!  Are you looking at the picture with 500X magnification?

Jim Pollock   ::)

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 05:47:41 PM »
I love how on the nose it says " Ban the Bra!". Must have been 69 to 71.I have to beg the old lady to put one on these days! LL~

Hey John...
Are you referring to Dave Gierke;s NOVI 3 from the 67-68 Nats..that contained that expression just behind the spinner?
Don Shultz

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 07:47:21 PM »
I never met Gene Schaffer, but when I was a kid in the early 70's, I would occasionaly fly at Flushing Meadow with my dad. I remember seeing Gene wind fly, from the parking lot it seemed like a normal flight . Untill you got out of the car and heard no engine! It was truly amazing! Just think of all the fuel he saved!  John
AMA 874027

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2010, 05:34:57 AM »
Hey John...
Are you referring to Dave Gierke;s NOVI 3 from the 67-68 Nats..that contained that expression just behind the spinner?

Whoops! Yes I was....still.....these days that old statement seems so odd, but a part of the times then! ;)

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 09:02:04 AM »
Met Gene at a Joey Dee concert in Clearwater FL around 1996. Joey only lived a few miles from my house when I was living in Florida and I hope to see him in Largo Fl on the 28th of this month.
    Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2010, 08:54:04 AM »
There are two guys I would love to have seen fly in their prime, Gene and Les.

Their is a lot of Gene in my designs these days.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2010, 04:28:02 PM »
There are two guys I would love to have seen fly in their prime, Gene and Les.

Their is a lot of Gene in my designs these days.

Brad
You can't imagine how frighteningly talented that man was. For me till this day, he remains the greatest stunt flyer I have ever seen.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Online Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 12:59:25 PM »
Here's a photo of Gene Schaffer, Al Rabe and myself after a contest in Lexington Kentucky. (September 1972).
Genes patterns were always spectacular to watch but Al beat us this weekend.

Les McDonald
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2010, 01:27:26 PM »
Les,

You were so young and svelte!   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2010, 09:33:25 AM »
Look at that head of hair on Les and he still has it.   LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »
Gene and Bob Lampione would be at FMP early on most Sunday Mornings, 4 circles 2 paved 2 grass, in those days by noon there was a 20-30 minute flight line wait at each of them.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2010, 11:18:50 PM »
Here's a photo of Gene Schaffer, Al Rabe and myself after a contest in Lexington Kentucky. (September 1972).
Genes patterns were always spectacular to watch but Al beat us this weekend.

I think I was a little kid, spectating, over to off-camera left, when this picture was taken - small world!

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2016, 02:42:09 AM »

if you Click on the Pictures to get rid of them , they just get ginormous .

http://www.flyboyzblog.com/flying-knights/

The Planes seem to have something in common with British Motorcycles .  VD~
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:56:54 AM by Matt Spencer »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here