News:

• May 04, 2024, 01:26:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SPEAKING OF the "BADNEWS BEARS!!! TEDDY BEAR AND PAUL WING-N-WALKER  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Speaking of "BADAZZZNEWS" for any competitor..who has to face these two old war warriors...
LOOK AT THE GRIN ON THEIR FACES....(hummm? I no wonder I put in such a wuzzzzie flight that day?)
GAMESMANSHIP GRINS ARE ALWAY WELCOME....SMILE!!! U ARE ON OLD SHULTZIES OLD MINOLTA SR-2 LOADED WITH KODACHROME 10
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 04:03:28 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: SPEAKING OF the "BADNEWS BEARS!!! TEDDY BEAR AND PAUL WING-N-WALKER
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 08:25:55 PM »
I know that plane. Like all of Paul's stuff, it was a keeper.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 08:36:46 PM »
I know that plane. Like all of Paul's stuff, it was a keeper.
Hey...Randy!!! Your models are truly KEEPERS ALSO...U RULE! Looking forward to test flying that new model of ours?  VD~ LL~ ~^
just razzin
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 11:08:26 AM »
Speaking of "BADAZZZNEWS" for any competitor..who has to face these two old war warriors...
LOOK AT THE GRIN ON THEIR FACES....(hummm? I no wonder I put in such a wuzzzzie flight that day?)
GAMESMANSHIP GRINS ARE ALWAY WELCOME....SMILE!!! U ARE ON OLD SHULTZIES OLD MINOLTA SR-2 LOADED WITH KODACHROME 10

Found a few more beautiful photos of TeddyBear and The WingWalkerman...at the Fesselflug this morn.
THESE SHOTS ARE AMAZING IN DETAIL
Don Shultz

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:43:18 AM »
Hi Don,

I guess since there your photos you know that three are from the '04 World Championships
and one is from the '02 Nats?

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 09:53:42 AM »
Hi Don,

I guess since there your photos you know that three are from the '04 World Championships
and one is from the '02 Nats?

Jim Pollock   H^^
Morning James....
I found these photos on the http://fesselflug.eu/ website and most were taken by Claudia Kehnen as well as other modelers with cameras that were fortunate enough to attend.
To me...and so many other model addicts..is the perfect place to get your daily fix of anything control line. The vintage photos are amazing.
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 12:20:56 PM »
Shultzie,

I don't suppose you have some pictures of Paul's original Bad News?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »
Shultzie,

I don't suppose you have some pictures of Paul's original Bad News?
I will take a look. I do have a bunch of old photos of at least a couple of Paul beautiful BADNEWS PURTEEES somewhere?
Perhaps we should just ask Paul or check in some old vintage webcast photos?

Sun looks so nice outside my window...but the temp is still around freeeeezing here in the shade?
Here is a faded photo of one of the last BADNEWs that I took during one of  our practice sessions out on the west Space center parking lots.
I will look for the negs of not only this model but earlier ones later today
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:49:17 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 06:09:10 PM »
Donnie,

Yea, that was one of the last ones. I was more interested in the first or second one (man, how many of these did he build?)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 05:29:12 PM »
That pic was the first one I've seen of PW's Bad News.  Was it ever published?

Matt Colan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 02:50:27 PM »
Matt,

Not as far as I know. If you ask Paul, he'll tell you that each plane, from the first Seahawker through the Frustration's End and For Reals to the Bad News and Finally Impact are all evolutions of basically the same design. I've just always been partial to the Bad News series. In my option, they were the best looking and coolest in the air. Aesthetics are a matter of personal taste, I suppose, but I loved the look of the Bad News. If there were plans around, I would be building one.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 09:44:10 AM »
Nebraska Nats - battling it out with Jimmy Casales under terrible wind conditions, Walker flies a beautiful pattern with "Bad News" and when the engine dies, glides it into a perfect landing on the mains, coasts half way around the circle tail wheel up and then drops the tail wheel down.   

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 12:03:06 PM »
Nebraska Nats - battling it out with Jimmy Casales under terrible wind conditions, Walker flies a beautiful pattern with "Bad News" and when the engine dies, glides it into a perfect landing on the mains, coasts half way around the circle tail wheel up and then drops the tail wheel down.   

Scott,

That flight--plus a critical examination of the plane afterwards--was the single biggest "light bulb over my head" moment of my toy airplane life.  I remember there were some standing "O"s given to Paul afterwards including by yours truly.  The rest of us in the flyoff were absolutely fighting to survive the horrendous winds and Paul went out there and just sandblasted us with a flight that made it look like the wind had stopped blowing (trust me, it hadn't!).

That flight provided the germ that grew to my now total commitment to big tails and aft CGs for competitive flying in high winds.  You might have read "way too many" words from me on that subject over the intervening years; the entire script for which was written by that one seven or so minute flight.  I didn't invent the configuration but I've sure shared the wisdom I learned from Paul that day.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 07:18:42 AM »
Found a couple of pictures of a younger Ted Fancher and Paul Walker to share with everybody.  H^^

Edit:  In the last picture, it looks like Paul is carrying Billy Werwage's Junar???
Matt Colan

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 10:57:08 AM »
Thanks for spending the time surfin' to find these photos of two of the most beautiful CLPA models ever created. H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 03:03:30 PM »
Thanks for spending the time surfin' to find these photos of two of the most beautiful CLPA models ever created. H^^

Your Welcome Shultzie, and I have to thank you for giving the link for this incredible website!!!  H^^
Matt Colan

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 02:11:27 AM »
Found a couple of pictures of a younger Ted Fancher and Paul Walker to share with everybody.  H^^

Edit:  In the last picture, it looks like Paul is carrying Billy Werwage's Junar???

Yep, it is Billy's Junar.  Pretty sure these were at a WC's, but I cannot remember which year.......

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 06:37:55 PM »
I think it was 1990 in France.  I was off to the left flying combat. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 08:30:48 PM »
Gosh Shultzie,

Was that younger picture of "Ted" when he was still flying DC-3's?   LL~  LL~  LL~  LL~  LL~

Jim Pollock, liker of older planes!   y1 <= #^

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 08:43:09 PM »
Gosh Shultzie,

Was that younger picture of "Ted" when he was still flying DC-3's?   LL~  LL~  LL~  LL~  LL~

Jim Pollock, liker of older planes!   y1 <= #^

Perhaps?
However I think both Paul and Ted were flying little Jim Walker FireBaby's  during the DC-3 daze=daze?LL~ VD~ H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »
I will take a look. I do have a bunch of old photos of at least a couple of Paul beautiful BADNEWS PURTEEES somewhere?
Perhaps we should just ask Paul or check in some old vintage webcast photos?

Sun looks so nice outside my window...but the temp is still around freeeeezing here in the shade?
Here is a faded photo of one of the last BADNEWs that I took during one of  our practice sessions out on the west Space center parking lots.
I will look for the negs of not only this model but earlier ones later today

Well, That is the "least good" Bad News I built. It flew in the '85 Nats and '85 Team Trials. There was "one" more Bad News after this one. That being the one I took to the '87 & '88 Nats and the '88 WC's. That one was the nest to the best BN.  The original OS 45 powered BN was "BY FAR" the best BN I built. However, due to a landing at Reno with no wheel, it damaged the wing spar. The repair (which had to happen in minutes before appearance judging) was less than perfect, and some years later it failed inside and made the plane handle different inside and outside. I discovered it and fixed it only to have a quick link in the elevator and loose the entire set-up on the pavement at the "west lot" at Boeing. That was a great Bad News. It was only outdone buy the '92 Impact in it's ability to fly.

OH, if only I knew then what I know now!!!!

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 09:50:06 AM »
Hi Guys,

Huuuummmm, Does anybody else see an opportunity here?? You have Randy Powell who wants to build an earlier Walker "Bad News" design and you have Paul Walker relating his hindsight evaluation of his earlier designs.
Now add the fact that these two gentleman live in the same general time zone/regional area and I see an opportunity.

There has been a recent trend for guys to collaborate on construction articles and plans on unpublished designs that are worthy of preservation, and I believe this in turn benefits the whole stunt community. 
Collaboration, reduces the time & effort required by each person to complete the project.

I know it is easy for me to say, and no I am not trying to volunteer anyone else's time, but I do see an opportunity.
So Paul, Randy what do you guys think??  Howard always has something useful to add and maybe he could help you guys with the project. At the very least, a little JCT humor could enliven things and help fill the word count.  So, How many of you SH guys would love to see a "Bad News" construction article in Stunt News or another magazine?? 
Hey guys! It can't hurt to make the suggestion, the choice is always yours to make, but in any event, I appreciate the contribution you guys have already shared with the stunt community, and I hope that You gentlemen have a really great day.     
  Pat Robinson

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 11:11:38 AM »
>>The original OS 45 powered BN was "BY FAR" the best BN I built.<<

I personally would love to see plans and an article on this plane. Or even some pictures. I used to have some but they were lost with a failed hard drive. And would certainly help in any way I could with such a project.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 11:48:21 AM »
I'd love to see it, myself.  I'd like to get some thoughts on that design - what worked, what didn't - and how it evolved into the Impact.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 02:36:49 PM »

Paul said "That was a great Bad News. It was only outdone buy the '92 Impact in it's ability to fly.

OH, if only I knew then what I know now!!!! "

Yep I remember that one  Very Good Airplane  ;D

Randy

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »
>>The original OS 45 powered BN was "BY FAR" the best BN I built.<<

I personally would love to see plans and an article on this plane. Or even some pictures. I used to have some but they were lost with a failed hard drive. And would certainly help in any way I could with such a project.

Hey Randy....
I took a few photos of Paul Walkers BAD NEWS and I think he even had a weak moment and let me fly this one...or was it one of his before this one? This is the only neg. that I found out of that roll of film. I have others taken of Paul's other BAD NEWS model from flying sessions on that SW parking lot of the Aerospace Center...however I think those negatives might be hiding in a batch of my sportkite festival of photos and negatives?
I will keep looking this week end.
Don Shultz

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 12:56:34 PM »
Hi Guys,

Huuuummmm, Does anybody else see an opportunity here?? You have Randy Powell who wants to build an earlier Walker "Bad News" design and you have Paul Walker relating his hindsight evaluation of his earlier designs.
Now add the fact that these two gentleman live in the same general time zone/regional area and I see an opportunity.

There has been a recent trend for guys to collaborate on construction articles and plans on unpublished designs that are worthy of preservation, and I believe this in turn benefits the whole stunt community. 
Collaboration, reduces the time & effort required by each person to complete the project.

I know it is easy for me to say, and no I am not trying to volunteer anyone else's time, but I do see an opportunity.
So Paul, Randy what do you guys think??  Howard always has something useful to add and maybe he could help you guys with the project. At the very least, a little JCT humor could enliven things and help fill the word count.  So, How many of you SH guys would love to see a "Bad News" construction article in Stunt News or another magazine?? 
Hey guys! It can't hurt to make the suggestion, the choice is always yours to make, but in any event, I appreciate the contribution you guys have already shared with the stunt community, and I hope that You gentlemen have a really great day.     
  Pat Robinson

That would be a neat project some day. However, at this time, my time is filled with many other projects.....Work (ugh), preparing for the Nats, building a new plane, getting our second house built, getting the flying circle in on that property done, ...work some more....Keep current house maintained.....Keep wife happy....Other than that, I'm not doing anything.

I think when I'm retired it could be a neat project.   Hopefully that will be in less than 2 years!!  :)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 02:49:14 PM »
Paul, if you need me to go keep an eye on the circle progress just let me know!
* assuming this is where I think it is?*
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 02:18:47 PM »
Paul, if you need me to go keep an eye on the circle progress just let me know!
* assuming this is where I think it is?*

If you think it's in DP, you're right.

When the circle is finished, all my electric friends can come and fly with me anytime!

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 03:27:35 PM »
Oh Paul, I have such bad news (pun) for you - when you retire, you LOSE all spare time!!  Trust me on that.  Dunno how it happens, but it do!
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 03:25:52 PM »
Hey Paul, I'm sure we could talk Pat Johnston or Marky Mark into doing a set of CAD plans for the Bad News (if you still have sketches or plans or templates lying around). Send me notes, comments and whatever and I'll do up an article (as told by the King or some such).

Just something to think about in your copious spare time.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 07:09:20 PM »

When the circle is finished, all my electric friends can come and fly with me anytime!

Man oh man Paul, you mean to say, that if old "Proparc" shows up with his up and coming,(top secret) big block four banger, I can't fly on your circle. Boy that hurts!! :'(
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 11:57:35 AM »
well I do have an electric program,, so I got that part,, now just to break into the "friend " catogory lol,, uh, lets see, beer? food? Fuel? hmm maybe eloctrons would be a good bribe,, lol
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here