News:

• April 25, 2024, 12:32:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LeRoy Gunther....Revisited today!  (Read 964 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
LeRoy Gunther....Revisited today!
« on: February 08, 2010, 11:41:33 AM »
Just ran across these old slides of the late LeRoy Gunther's beautiful 1968 Olatha Nats  GALAXY JET STYLE STUNT MACHINES.....
I will never forget the first time I saw this beautiful model of LeRoy's  Gunther's sitting on the Hanger tables that eve. under those bright bank of hanger lights near the Adamisin's Clan gathering spot.
The next day...out in the sunlight I got a chance to shoot these few photos.

Check out the amazing artistic skills and pure artistry that blew away so many of  us  fortunates...that had the opportunity to meet and talk with such an amazingly gifted CLPA artist before he left this world a better place...but gone all too soon.

Don Shultz

Dave Adamisin

Re: LeRoy Gunther....Revisited today!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 08:40:46 PM »
Don, thanks for bringing up this gifted beautiful man. I had the pleasure of growing up with him as a great family friend. He was the guy who persuaded Big to get us flying stunt. He also had one of the best "3d" minds I've ever known. His inner vision as in perspective was uncanny. I watched him build a 180 deg curved tressel bridge for his n gauge railroad. He didn't have as much as a sketch to look at while he cut and glued and "looked" into the space he was working in. He knew the radius he needed to build to and just sat there with a pile of spruce and some glue and didn't stop till it was ready to paint. It was and still is breathtaking to me. I miss him very much. He was an older brother that always had time for me.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 06:20:41 AM »
Don,
Thanks for sharing these pictures. I never met LeRoy, he was obviously a craftsman.

The details shown in so many of the "Classics" is the reason that I like to see cockpit detail. Today's stunters, in most cases just don't live up to our heritage.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 08:31:26 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
Gunny sure had some nice stuff, as did Don Bambrick, who also passed away young. 

Gunny even dolled up his Voodoos.  It was a bad day at Blackrock when Gunny destroyed both of his Sharks practicing at the 1970 Nats.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here