News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:54:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lady Stunt Grunts  (Read 11417 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Lady Stunt Grunts
« on: January 17, 2007, 08:05:28 AM »
Someone mentioned Shirley Sheeks and it brought to mind the many women we have that work behind the scenes.  There is Shareen Fancher, Lila Lee, Mrs Emmett, Mrs Wilson, Elaine Brookins and a whole bunch more that come to mind that I can't put names to.  As far as flying stunt, who can forget Dawn Cosmillo.   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
Re: Lady Stunt Grunts
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 04:29:48 PM »
Dont forget Alice Cotten Royer Not only is she a good flyer and Builder but also is rules chairman for Pampa

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 09:21:21 AM »
And Linda Gleason
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:32:04 AM »
Bob Parker's betta' half who has given dedicated support in putting up with all our insanity and addictions (behind the scenes)----- PEGGY PARKER!
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 08:17:26 AM »
I used to fly with Dawn... Wow... Phew!!
AMA 7544

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 10:31:51 AM »
Sandy Bruce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 12:03:06 PM »
I used to fly against Dawn almost every week back in the 1960s. She was indeed a great flier and also a very good competitor. A looker she was, but she was also very approachable, friendly and not the least bit aloof or stuck up.

I recently had the opportunity to talk with Dawn on the telephone. She's very happy and has had a great life after stunt, and she's a grandmother! How's that hit you Ty?

She has no desire to fly again, but said to say hello to everyone.

And, yes, I did hate getting beat often by.... a girl! :)

Bob Hunt

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 05:55:40 PM »
How's this for a line-up of "Stunt Grunts" - 1968 style!
l to r:  Bob Lampione, Mike Stott, Dawn Cosmillo, Bob Hunt

Photo by Arnie Stott

Bob,
When I used to hang out at Arnold Stott's FOAM FLITE shop and hobby store as a kid, he always had a shoe box full of model airplane pictures sitting on the counter.  I would browse through them every visit.  I believe he told me this one was taken when Arnold and Mike journeyed to NY for a contest in 1968.  Sound right?  Care to hazard a guess as to the name of the contest?  There are more in this series.  Enjoyl
Mike Gretz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 05:58:49 PM »
A couple more.

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 06:01:52 PM »
more...

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 06:04:21 PM »
one more for now (more later if you're interested) ...

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 07:39:54 PM »
Thanks Mike,
Really cool.
chris...

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 07:50:45 PM »
more...
I was wondering if anybody can tell me the name of that plane in the middle i have one that somebody gave and I'm refinishing it
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 08:19:26 PM »
If you mean the green one ... that's Bill Simon's orginal design P-39 Aircobra.  Here's Bill with the airplane.

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 08:21:41 PM »
Mike Stott with his Chipmunk.

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 08:23:46 PM »
Bob H.

Who is this young stunt grunt with the airplane as big as he is?

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 08:26:04 PM »
Last one of the series.
Thanks to my mentor Arnold Stott for taking these pictures a long time ago.
And thanks Sparky for providing a great place to share the memories.
Mike G

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 08:28:37 PM »
I never got to meet Dawn, but as being around the same age and flying C/L to, I always wanted to meet her! **)  Seeing her pictures in the magazines sure gave the impression that she was a good looking young lady!  y1  Figured we *might* have some things in common, at least flying C/L!  But, alas........  it all works out for the best!  ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 08:29:51 PM »
Wasn't that Dawn's dark colored "Jet Style" stunter shown inthe pictures?
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 11:13:42 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for the memories.
AMA 7544

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 07:05:08 AM »
Wow! Do these photos ever bring back memories! I remember that day vividly as we had all heard from Bob Lampione that Mike Stott was coming east for a visit. Bob was the east coast rep for Foam Flite which was owned by Mike and Arnie Stott. We were all using Foam Flite wings at that time and this was a chance to meet the guru himself! Mike's Chipmunk was rapidly gaining a good reputation at that time and he did indeed win Senior Stunt that day. I believe that Dawn was second and I was third with the original Caprice.

I'm especially glad to see these photos posted because there are a few who have suggested that the Caprice never existed. Well, here's the proof!

The Caprice, Bill Simons' P-39, Bob Lampione's Red ship (Never had a name as far as I know), Dawn's ship, and of course Mike's Chipmunk all had Foam Flite wings! It was very soon after this meet when I began cutting my own foam wings and soon after that I was in business in competition with Foam Flite under the name Control Line Specialties. 

I pride myself on my recall of places, people, dates and locations, but I must be slipping a bit because I don't remember the name of this meet or exactly where it was. I know it was adjacent to a small airport somewhere in upstate New York.

I also can't remember the name of the young man in the photo. The photo reveals an AMA number: 64207. I called AMA and tried to get the name from our records, but they only go back to 1976. This number is currently not assigned to anyone.

Yes, the jet styled model in the photo is Dawn's model. We nicknamed it the "Pigeon" because the profile of the nose with the forward mounted canopy and the large spinner gave the impression of a pigeon's head. I don't think Dawn really liked that name much... The model was heavy for a Fox .35 engine. It was in the mid 50 ounce range! Her father was the owner of a body shop and he painted all of her models with auto lacquer. They were certainly beautiful, but they were heavy! She flew a large, open style of pattern with very little corner but with great shapes (no comments here guys...). She was an extremely smooth flier.

In one of the photos you can see the inside wing and the booms of Bob Baron's original Humbug!   

It just hit me that this might have been the Troy, New York contest!

Were we really ever that young...?

Bob Hunt

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 07:58:52 AM »
I suspect that what Arnie was doing with that main group of six airplanes was putting all the Foam Flite winged airplanes in one picture.

Chipmunk
Caprice
P-39
Pigeon (I love that - although she may have like "Dove" better guys)
Bob L's Red Ship
and the unknown young man's red airplane

I was tempted to caption the first picture "Dawn holds a stunt clinic."  She sure seems to have the attention of the younger stunt grunts.  :)

Good to see that at least 2 of the 4 in that picture are still active - Bob and Bob.

FYI - Mike Stott keeps busy nowadays building fine furniture for his and his children's homes.  He has 3 grown kids (I believe they are all married now, except for the youngest Mike Jr.).  I see Mike a couple times a year when I get back home to our mutual home town, Mankato, Minnesota.  He goes with me to Canada fishing almost every year.  Occasionally he dabbles in electric R/C and talks about building an electric stunter.  Says if I will move back to Mankato he will get serious about stunt again, but doesn't want to go it alone (hates stooge flying).

Yes, we were that young Bob, and still are at heart.

Mike

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 11:08:40 AM »
Just a note to say "THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES" and just AMAZING recall on everyone's part.
See what great things can happen..when so many of us get together. Biblical truth for sure, is soooooooooooooooo true.
"When two or more....old stunt-grunts get togetha' great things can happen----Uh! SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE BACK-SLIDER, huh?
Forgive me brotha's and sista's....for I have sinned. It would appear that I truly have been one of the most decident' stuntgrunts sinna's of all time for staying away so long from our stunt addicted "FOLD!"
 If you get my lame-go' I AM SO THANKFUL THAT OUR SPARKY AND HELPED PUT THE "SPARK"
 and passion back into so many of us old stunt-grunts. In doing so, what "ALMS" N' GIFTS" he has given us with this website.
MY DEEPEST THANKS FOR EVERYONE THAT HAS CONTRIBUTED SO MUCH IN WORDS AND PHOTOS TO "STUNT-GRUNT OF THE DAY!" KEEP EM' COMMIN!!" 
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 12:34:19 PM »
Was Dawn's plane based on a USA-1 or something else.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 01:10:41 PM »
Dawn's airplane was before the USA-1.  I believe it was an original design (probably utilizing a Foam Flite Nobler wing).

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 02:56:24 PM »
I believe Dawns plane was white before it was black or is may have been a new plane. I have a photo of one of her planes, taken about the same time, in Bergen, NJ.

Bob Hunt...if you are lurking? Isn't this plane that Dawn flew was basically a Larry Scarizeeedesign? What a beautiful metal flake interior on that canopy that when the sun reflexed back through the deep tint.....That plane..although quite simple...had such  understated beauty and elegance.
That White stripe and flashy canopy was all that Dawn had to use for a visual...especially if their was any dark  background object behind that beautifully dark model, in back of her flight window. Dark paint jobs and especially dark maroon metallics can be extremely steathy and can often disappear suddenly before your poppin' eyeballs during flight.
No matter how beautiful a dark finish...they SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ME...VISUALLY WHEN FLYING!!! ~^
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 05:45:25 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 06:09:19 AM »
Hi Don:

You're going to love some of this...

Dawn's airplane was not painted black; it was a dark blue/green color that appears black in some photos. It was not a Scarinzi design; it was an original that I suspect John D'Ottavio and Jimmy Cosmillo (Dawn's brother) came up with. Jimmy had a very similar design ship, only with taildragger gear where Dawn's had trike gear.

Dawn's dad, Jim, owned a body shop and he painted all of Dawn's models with auto lacquer. Beautiful, but heavy! Her models were decidedly on the very far side of 50 ounces! Still, they flew well with an unmuffled Fox. They were not corner machines, but they were very smooth in the air.

Okay enough of that... I've tracked down the mystery kid's identity: It was Robby Feinstein! The AMA numbers were the giveaway. I have a photo of Robby's Judge (Previously posted elsewhere on this forum) and the numbers are the same as on the red ship he's holding in the photos above! I was pretty sure it was him, but not sure enough until now to identify him officially.

I'm supposed to meet with Robby and get the Judge here long enough to draw a set of plans. This is a Classic legal ship. I'll post that photo again here. Note that the wheel spats and the spinner (a needle-nose unit) are missing, but the model is amazingly intact after 40 years!

One more mystery solved and one more piece of east coast Stunt history confirmed... :)

Bob Hunt   

Offline stunt1

• ACE
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2007, 09:18:43 AM »
Hello Mike Gretz,

I loved walking down "Memory Lane" with your pictures under "Lady Stunt Grunts" heading.
That Red Airplane was another in the series of a Mustang (P-51) I had built in 1996. I just left off the bottom scoop. Actually Jim Cosmillo, Dawn's dad helped me paint that. We did it at their house in Lake Hopatcong, N.J. Jim was experimenting with Automotive Enamel Paints, and I was willing to give it a shot since you didn't need to spray clear coats and rub the thing out. Me being lazy, I thought that was a great way to go.

That same fuse design with the canopy forward of the wing, later turned into the famous "United" design with the rudder change. By the way, that is soon to be kitted by John Brodak.

Thanks again and keep those pictures and letters coming as Jim Durante or was it Dean Martin who used to say "Keeps those cards and letters coming. " at the end of his TV show.
Wow! talk about dating ones self.

Remaining yours in STUNT,

Bob "Champione" Lampione
Bob "Champione" Lampione
New York Stunt Team
AMA-605

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2007, 10:36:46 AM »
Hey Ace...Lampione!!!
Thanks for joinin us on down gruntmemory lane!
You mentioned that beautiful United model of yours that was published in the April 72 issue of FM.
Although I have so outstanding slides taken at the  69 Nats throphy scene..(with you riding on the shoulders of some of your peeeeeers' that almost dropped you on your head LL~) Plus a bunch more slides of that awesomely hard fought contest. That last pattern of yours that day, left little doubt. U DAAAA MAN FER 69!!!!  #^
BACK TO THE THAT BEAUTIFUL UNITED...I HAVE SLIDES OF THAT WONDERFUL PLANE ALSO IN MY SHOE BOXES OF OLD SLIDES!! but for time sake...Here is scan from the FM page of that beautiful model.
another shot of Bob's beeeeeaaaauuutifully drawn plans...OUTSTANDING!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 10:05:15 PM by Robert Storick »
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2007, 09:14:29 PM »
Hello Bob L.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures.  As I said, we can thank Arnold Stott for the memories.  He was a super nice man!

Mikey Pratt was in town at Christmas time and stopped by the house for a while.  Naturally we talked about what classic plane he wanted to build next.  He hit on one of my all time favorites - your '69 F-86 SABRE!  Don't know if I should be letting the cat out of the bag, but he said he's been talking to you about it and getting pretty excited.  I sure hope he does.  Or how about you?  I know you built a new one a year or so ago (how'd that ever turn out?), but how about an true replica of the '69 ship, but with a modern motor?  Say an Aerotiger!  That would be sweet!  That airplane had so much great color - it was totally awesome in the air!!

Keep flying.  It will keep you young.

Mike

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2007, 07:44:47 AM »
Don,

When can we see the pics from the '69 trophy presentation?

Mike

Offline stunt1

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2007, 11:14:57 AM »
Hey Mike,

I just read my thread about the Red P-51 less scoop with the enamel paint job. Great shot of me and Mike launching my airplane for an official flight.
By the way the year I meant was 1966, not 1996.

Bob

PS: I do owe Mike Pratt a call, I've been under the weather with Cellulites in the left leg. Almost all cleared up and I hope it doesn't come back. I have two more days of antibiotics to take.
If you talk to Mike again, tell him I didn't forget, or if he wants he can call me, number is in PAMPA.
Bob "Champione" Lampione
New York Stunt Team
AMA-605

Offline stunt1

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2007, 11:32:27 AM »
Hello Don Schultz,

Not sure if we ever met, although the name sounds real familiar, we probably did at one point, but these days I have a hard time remembering what happened yesterday.

I clicked on the drawing of the plans on your post and I like the wheel pants you've drawn in and the modified nose shape. It really looks good. I see you also took the point off the top of the rudder. Looks good, you should build one.

By the way I still have the original Sabre in my store room. Got it back from Wesley Smith in Maryland about 5 or 6 years back. It was in his basement for God knows how many years and sitting under a leaky ceiling apparently. Didn't look so good when I got it back. Th rudder was broke off, the cowl was missing and one of the flaps was broke in half.

I just stuck it in the store room for nostalgics sake and it's still sitting there.

I think some of you have more pictures of my airplanes from those days then I do. I really didn't get into photography untill after Don McGoverns pictures of my ships for the articles in FM Magazine. Not being happy with his pictures made me go out and by my first real camera. It was a Pentax and a Konica SLR.

In my attic I have boxes and boxes of slides that I have stored away in boxes from the last 3 times I moved, and I haven't opened them since. I live in an apartment in a private 2 family and have boxes all over the place. I have about 4 to 5 thousand LP's in boxes that I never opened since I moved in here 5 years ago. I'm a vinyl guy even though its convenient to listen to CD's these days since they don't sell records any more.

Well enough of this rambling. See you guys later.

Yours in STUNT,

Bob "Champione" Lampione
Bob "Champione" Lampione
New York Stunt Team
AMA-605

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2007, 01:59:54 PM »
Don,

When can we see the pics from the '69 trophy presentation?

Mike

Hey Mike...and Bob!!!

Here are a couple of photos from my quickeeescann job...the photos are far and away better quality than my elcheapo Epson all in one.
(HEY BOB! GADS! MY DEEPEST PARDONS for doodling over a stuntmodel REMBRANDT! Almost like putting a beard on the MOANING LISA, when I sat at work one day...doodling with a ball point pen, between model runs at the windtunnel. I was so quick in scanning that plan off the magazine..(I FORGOT THAT I HAD BEEN DOING A LITTLE R&DIN'DOODLIN on that old magazine.
I would NEVER THINK OF CHANGIN' A THING on that model...if I were to build one, it would be EXACTLY as shown on your outstanding full sized drawings that were so beautifully and expertly crafted.
Keep your posts comin onnn! my brotha in balsa....

I should move the photos to a new title...but while I am a role.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 10:05:45 PM by Robert Storick »
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2007, 02:57:29 PM »
One just like that, done to the "Custon Midwest Canopy" that the plans call out, already has wing panels built around here. y1  Thank you Mr. Champione! (and no I haven't worked on your USA-1, yet ;D )

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2007, 05:27:35 PM »
Does anyone have a pix of Dawn? ??? I seem to remember her name, but cant picture in my mind what she looked like..... ???
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2007, 05:50:15 PM »
Does anyone have a pix of Dawn? ??? I seem to remember her name, but cant picture in my mind what she looked like..... ???

Here is Dawn...holdin' My 69 StingRay. #^

Gee...Next photo is of Miss Model Aviation 69 posing with my Ray again.
 Bill Werwedge-Bob Gieske-Ron Howard and Jim Kostecky in Background.
My old Ray never had it sooooooo good n~

Mike Stott and Dawn...1st and 3rd in Sr. Stunt
Photo on right taken with Dawn's beautiful and elegant stunter.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 05:05:55 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 10:24:30 PM »

Hi Richard,

You woulda remembered! **) **) **)

I brightened this one of Don's pics up a bit.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2007, 11:14:48 PM »
Hi Ty:

You're thinking of Shirley Austin! She won Senior Combat at the Nats in 1953 (I think...)

Bob Hunt

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2007, 07:23:24 AM »
Don,
One small correction ... Dawn Cosmillo won 3rd in Senior stunt at the '69 Nats, not 2nd.  Bob Howard was 2nd with his Pegasus.  See full scoreboard behind Mike Stott.
Mike

Looks like we could have a seperate thread on the 1969 Nats ... seems to be well documented in pictures.

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2007, 07:29:43 AM »
The old photo is a little blurry, but here are the top 3 in Open at the 1969 NATS with the full scoreboard.
Mike

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2007, 07:35:05 AM »
And back to the topic of this thread (ladies), here is another picture of the 3rd place winner and her airplane.
Photo by Arnold Stott - Arnold and Don must have been standing side by side when they took there pictures of Dawn - compare this one with above shot by Don.
Mike

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2007, 07:48:12 AM »
I'm a bit hesitant to point this out, but it's interesting.  And don't anybody take this wrong, because I am not saying the outcome would have been any different, it would not have been ... but take a close look at the previous picture of the top 3 Open winners at the '69 Nats scoreboard.  Whoa!  Now there's a classic example of a "balloon" in the second round Open scores by the Navy judges.  Almost everybody went up a lot!  Keep in mind that Bob beat Al and Gerry in both the first and second rounds.

The other thing that is obvious looking on the '69 Open scoreboard is that it was an exciting battle to the finish.  Must have been fun to see.  Right Don?  Can you remember where Bob and Al were in the flight order?

Mike

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2007, 08:41:43 AM »
Hi Mike:

I'm not sure about Al's flight order position, but Bob Lampione had the coveted "Last Flight." Let the record show that he took full advantage of it!

I was there when Bob won the Nats and vividly remember the celebration with eveyone hoisting Bob up on their shoulders and walking him around the field for a few moments. If that scene doesn't get you wanting to fly competitive Stunt, nothing will...

As a brief note, Bob told us all on the east coast that he was going to win the Nats at the very beginning of the year. He not only won the Nats as he declared he would, but he also won every other local meet that year with the Sabre! It was his year to shine for sure!

Bob Hunt
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 06:44:10 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2007, 05:13:43 PM »
Hi Richard,

You woulda remembered! **) **) **)

I brightened this one of Don's pics up a bit.
DO YOU THINK WE ARE TAKIN' UP TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMUCH RAMADING-DONG! BY trying to continue and lighten and make everything more washed out, just to see a bit more detail in the faces.
I will try to delete my photos....if the quality doesn't meet your expectations? ;D
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2007, 05:37:01 PM »
I'm a bit hesitant to point this out, but it's interesting.  And don't anybody take this wrong, because I am not saying the outcome would have been any different, it would not have been ... but take a close look at the previous picture of the top 3 Open winners at the '69 Nats scoreboard.  Whoa!  Now there's a classic example of a "balloon" in the second round Open scores by the Navy judges.  Almost everybody went up a lot!  Keep in mind that Bob beat Al and Gerry in both the first and second rounds.

The other thing that is obvious looking on the '69 Open scoreboard is that it was an exciting battle to the finish.  Must have been fun to see.  Right Don?  Can you remember where Bob and Al were in the flight order?

Yes....I have photos of the other scores boards.

The first flyer in circle 1 was Silhavy and posted 500

Bob Gieske flew in circle 1 was 2nd to fly and posted only 482
HA!
Al Rabe flew in circle 1 and was 7th to fly and posted a 531 and didn't have to fly a second round?
Old Shultzie. flew 9th in the 1st circle and posted 495!!!! DAAAA? SHOWSTAGOOOYA!! GO FIGGA?

Bob Lampione flew in the #2 Circle and flew 6th and posted 460.

AS YOU CAN SEE...HE DIDN'T HAVE TO RISK A SECOND FLIGHT....BUT WHO GIVES A RIPP, with
NAVY JUDGES who did the best they could..but...YA KNOW how accurate that wasin those days.!!!!!
I will post the score board for you...but KEITH TROSTLE KNOWS GOOD AND WELL just how weird that whole STUNT NATS...69 was...AND BALLOOOOON OF SCORES WAS FAR AND AWAY NOT THE PROBLEM...THAT IS FOR CERTAIN!
At least to my memory, 69 was the year of outstanding flying...new innovative styles of airplanes but without question I think that the best flyers..of that last round were well deserving...especially Bob Lampione who nailed that last beautiful flight of the day---to the wall! I was especially proud of Al Rabe who changed the minds of those "purist's' that a virtual scale-like model could also fly with the best.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 10:57:00 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2007, 07:50:05 PM »
Not trying to get off the subject but an old friend of mine from the Union club(nj) name is on the senior scoreboard Frank Imbriaco. Does anyone remember him?  I use to run into him every now and again but it's probably 5 or 6 years since Ive seen him. Last time I saw him, he was learning to fly R/C pattern. Never knew he competed at that level.
Thanks guys I love this stuff
 TOM
AMA 13001

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2007, 08:20:16 PM »
Hi Mike:

I'm not sure about Al's flight order position, but Bob Lampione had the coveted "Last Flight." Let the record show that he took full advantage of it!

I was there when Bob won the Nats and vividly remember the celebration with eveyone hoisting Bob up on their shoulders and walking him around the field for a few moments. If that scene doesn't get you wanting to fly competitive Stunt, nothing will...

As a brief note, Bob told us all on the east coast that he was going to win the Nats at the very beginning of the year. He not only won the Nats as he declared he would, but he also won every other local meet that year with the Sabre! It was his year to shine for sure!

Bob Hunt

WOW now thats what i amazing!!!!,Its like like the story of babe ruth calling his shot. Out of all of the post ever posted here on STUNTHANGER this one is by far the bast.I'm loving all of the pics please keep posting!

i love stunt history !!!!
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2007, 01:19:17 PM »
Isn't it amazing that Bob "Champion" gets all this attention on "Lady Stunt Grunts"!!!

Bob, I love the pants that were drawn on your "United". Stunter need wheel pants. But I admit that the "United" looks great anyway.

Bob Hunt is correct about the D'Ottavio" influence on Dawn's airplanes. Many of them used Falcon wings.  The following year (1970) I traveled from St Louis to NJ for  the 2 weekend GSCB contest. The 1st weekend was the inaugural OTS contest. Placing was 1) Bob Hunt, 2) John D'Ottavio. 3) Tom Niebuhr. The 2nd weekend I flew one of Dawn's Jet Styled Stunters to 3rd place without appearance points. I refused the trophy, since it was not airplane.

And yes, the airplane was heavy!

An added note, is that Linda and I got engaged that week.

Boy does this thread bring back the memories!

AMA 7544

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2007, 02:21:32 PM »
Isn't it amazing that Bob "Champion" gets all this attention on "Lady Stunt Grunts"!!!

Bob, I love the pants that were drawn on your "United". Stunter need wheel pants. But I admit that the "United" looks great anyway.

Bob Hunt is correct about the D'Ottavio" influence on Dawn's airplanes. Many of them used Falcon wings.  The following year (1970) I traveled from St Louis to NJ for  the 2 weekend GSCB contest. The 1st weekend was the inaugural OTS contest. Placing was 1) Bob Hunt, 2) John D'Ottavio. 3) Tom Niebuhr. The 2nd weekend I flew one of Dawn's Jet Styled Stunters to 3rd place without appearance points. I refused the trophy, since it was not airplane.

And yes, the airplane was heavy!

An added note, is that Linda and I got engaged that week.

Boy does this thread bring back the memories!

Now wait a minute, Tom.  Champione didn't get all the attention from me!  I still hate that I didn't get to meet Dawn! **)

Bobby's just as ugly as ever..................  but he could build pretty planes!

Dawn was better thou......... pretty and she could build pretty planes, too! **)

Congratulations to you, and Linda, I think the two of our marriages were just a little bit apart!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2007, 02:55:57 PM »
"Bobby's just as ugly as ever..................  but he could build pretty planes!"

Yep, but now he wears funny clothes too!
AMA 7544

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
Re: Lady Stunt Grunts Picture
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2007, 02:26:19 PM »
Alice Cotten Royer Picture. Alice took 8th in advanced in the 95 nats,Filling up the old Artemis.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 02:49:05 PM by Leo Mehl »

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2007, 11:41:13 PM »
And let me tell you, Alice can fly! Beat me enough times.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2007, 07:59:38 AM »
Yes, Alice CAN fly!!  Haven't seen much in print about her in contests lately.  ???
 Is she mostly judging now??  I know she's the Rules Chairperson for PAMPA, right?
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2007, 11:24:53 AM »
Alice has MS and vertigo because of it. She still flys once in a while but does not compete. We all miss her on the contest circuit.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2007, 10:25:32 PM »
Thank you for the information, Leo.  I hate to hear that, since I know Alice enjoyed flying a lot!  I hope she is doing well.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2007, 08:56:09 AM »
Alic is always upbeat and enjoys a lot of things. She is a good friend, Dave is doing fine too.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2007, 03:28:28 PM »
Alice was doing pretty well the last time I saw her. She and her husband Dave Royer are really great people.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline stunt1

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2007, 10:57:36 PM »
Please pass along that I'll remember both in my prayers.

Thanks,

"Champione"
Bob "Champione" Lampione
New York Stunt Team
AMA-605

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2007, 08:38:44 PM »
Another picture of Alice's Artimis

Advertise Here