News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:31:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: kind of off topic but...  (Read 5027 times)

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
kind of off topic but...
« on: March 27, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »
The title of this board is, As Time Goes Bye, well this has to do with time.  Since Tuesday, I've had my learners permit to drive, and have been driving everyday since then I think.

What year did you guys start driving (I probably make you guys feel old)???
Matt Colan

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: kind of off topic but...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 02:09:32 PM »
The title of this board is, As Time Goes Bye, well this has to do with time.  Since Tuesday, I've had my learners permit to drive, and have been driving everyday since then I think.

What year did you guys start driving (I probably make you guys feel old)???
I started driving a Ford tractor waaaaay back in 1946. H^^When did you start flying toy airplanes? LL~ LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:03:04 PM »
Yes, it does kind of make me feel like I am getting on in years.  I started driving in 1956.  I was 16 years old and the car was a gray 1941 Chevrolet coupe with a 6 cylinder engine....three speed shift on the column.  I later put on a straight pipe exhaust and had a blast driving around racking the pipes......loud, boy was it loud,  oh, my!   #^

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 04:27:16 PM »
UUUmmmm,,,

Learners permit Jul 1960, License Jan 9 1961.  The two best cars I have ever driven #1. 1956 Dodge D500, with a 332 Hemi.  #2.  1968 AMC AMX, 390, #05721 off the assemby line.  Since then, nothing spectacular.

Jim Pollock,   n~  8)  ;D 

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 04:45:10 PM »
I started driving a Ford tractor waaaaay back in 1946. H^^When did you start flying toy airplanes? LL~ LL~

2005 when I was 11.  So far I've driven a 2010 Camry (gas pedal didn't stick), a '00 Buick Century, and a 2010 Chevy Traverse.  The traverse drives the best, followed by the Buick, then the Camry (notice how my favorites are american)

Matt Colan

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 05:53:02 PM »
I got my license in about 1962 after completing drivers' ed with other kids (16 or 17 years old - whenever Indiana law allowed it), although Dad let me drive a bit in out-of-the-way places and steer from center on regular roads when I was younger - 'just couldn't wait!

However, things were different for him. He had his own stripped-down Model T when he was about 12 years old. He drove his buddies across the state in this body-less car (hopped up and awaiting a boat tail) to see the National Air Races in Cleveland, when he was 14 - Jimmy Doolittle, Graf Zeppelin, .... They camped out near the airport, but got chased off of Public Square by an irate policeman, after too many "laps". I remember his telling me about how he learned to rebuild its transmission: when he asked an adult mechanic friend how to do this, the guy removed a key, dropped all the parts on a newspaper on the floor, and remarked as he left for lunch, "When you get it back together, you'll know how!" Dad had (created for himself) lots of personal adventures as a kid, from building radios and a full-sized primary glider and re-ringing barnstormers' OX-5 engines, through scaring the devil out of everyone with his chemistry experiments (Boys' Book of Chemistry - unsupervised), to diving for Mad Anthony Wayne's mythical canon off of Girtie's Island in the Maumee. He drove everywhere, and had a foot up on the competition for his beautiful future wife through his knowledge of and access to cars during the Big-Band era. I wonder when he did get his own license.

'sorry to say that I and my friends never did stuff like that, but Dad would have been - shall we say - "impressed" with some of my unadvertised adventures with the family car, after that big license day. I still can't believe what youthful reflexes - and dumb luck - allowed me to get away with.

Well, don't do that stuff - whatever it was (Ha!). As usual, do as I say, not as I  (uh) might have done.

SK

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 01:13:43 PM »
Mat
I lived a "sheltered" life.  Learned to drive in a neighbors Ford coupe that he used to pull his midget racer with at age 14.  After getting that down I then learned in his Midget how to do a suicide start.  That is taking both hands off the steering wheel and with one hand pulling on the hand brake to stop the turning of the rear tires you slide the engine into gear with the other hand.  This is done while being pushed around the track at about 30 MPH.  When you get it in gear, it only has one (in or out), you release the hand brake and the engine starts turning.  And in about 3 seconds you have to get set up to take the turn.  Piece of cake.  The first car I owned was a 1948 Chevy Fleetline that ended up with a hopped up Olds Rocket V8 up front and a stick shifted Hydromatic transmission.

As I said, I lived a sheltered life.  O, I forgot to mention that I drove a brand new (less than 1000 miles) International L180 6x6 truck for my drivers test in 1951, at the age of 16.  
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 01:54:56 PM »
Hmm, well, I was 15 1/2 when I got my learner's permit. That would be: Spring of 1971 or thereabouts.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »
2005 when I was 11.  So far I've driven a 2010 Camry (gas pedal didn't stick), a '00 Buick Century, and a 2010 Chevy Traverse.  The traverse drives the best, followed by the Buick, then the Camry (notice how my favorites are american)

I have driven A LOT of different cars (roughly in order):

63 Corvair
66 Chrysler Newport
73 Chevy Vega
71 Datsun 510 Wagon*
72 Datsun 510 Coupe*
mid-60VW Beetle
75 Dodge 1/4 Ton pickup
IH Tractor
61 Chevy Pickup
74 Chevy Pickup
75 Chevy Pickup
75 Chevette
67 Chrysler New Yorker
80 Buick Skylark X-Car
81 Mazda GLC*
Fiat 128
Honda Accord
Honda Prelude
73 Lotus Europa Twin-Cam
Lotus Seven Series 2
86 Mazda SR-5 Pickup*
Lotus Europa Series 1
Acura NSX
Porsche 911 SC*
Caterham Super 7
Caterham Super 7 'Rotus'
Porsche 911 Targa
Lotus Esprit S1*
Fiat X1/9 SCCA F Production
Fiat X1/9 SCCA G Production
Alfa GTV
Alfa GTV 6
Ford Explorer
93 Mazda MPV*
about two dozen Ford Temp/Mercury Topaz rental cars
Toyota Forerunner
early 90's Viper
Nissan Maxima
BMW 2002
about a dozen various Doge Caravan/Plymouth Voyagers
Scorpion Formula 440
96 Lotus Elise
96 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT*
95 Ford Mustang Cobra R
a bunch of Olds Alero Rental Cars
99 Nissan Sentra D Street Prepared
2000 Nissan Sentra SP
Late-90 Chevy Astro Van
BMW M3
2001 Mustang GT V8
2003 Honda Odyssey
2003 Toyota Sienna
2003 Mazda MPV ES*
2006 Porsche 911 GT3
2008 Porsche 911 S
2007 BMX M5
2007 BMW 650i
2010 Porsche Cayman S PDK*
2010 Subaru Outback

and I am sure I forget many more. Of those I have actually owned, the Cayman is by far the best sports/performance car by any measure - a lot like the Esprit with a luxury makeover and all the horrific problems fixed. The easiest to drive long distances was the Cobra SVT, but it's not far ahead of the Cayman, or either MPV.

The most fun to drive, as long as you didn't want to to it for long and the weather was nice, was the Rotus - A Caterham Lotus 7 with a Mazda R13 rotary engine. Drove more like a race car than most of the other race cars. It also would eat the Viper alive up to about 60 MPH.

The worst of this bunch, by a long shot, were the Ford Tempos. Horrible torque steer, rarely got in one that didn't have several things wrong with it. I would prefer the Corvair, and the particular one I drove had both rear floorboards rusted out, no functional heater, and burned oil about as fast as it did gas. The Chevy Astro Van (David's mom's) was also terrible and took continual effort to even keep on the road - but is sure swallowed up a lot of airplanes, stuff, and stunt fliers.

Brett

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »

Uh....I just found a couple of photos from 1942 and here is proof that I was driving a FARMALL and my own little pedal car in that same year of 1942
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 08:46:21 AM »
Shultzie,  remember the Farmall Cub.  Driver set to one side of the engine and drive train.  I was nine or ten when Dad showed me how to do it.  Turned 14 December 55 and got my learners permit(was still in Kansas).  We moved to Humansvoille MO in 57 and on my 16th birthday took my driving test.  Mother had to go back a month later and retake hers after driving since she was 9 years old.  My Dad never had a license to drive that I ever knew of, but could drive anything that had a steering wheel or levers.  Nothing like a D-3 Cat with lever controls.  Don't ask about how many different vehicles as I was a porter for Ray Smith Ford the winter of 61-62.  Even semi tractor rigs without the trailer. D>K H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:51:18 AM »
Drove,kind of at age 5 sitting on my dad's lap.  Learned to shift at age 6 sitting in the middle of the front sear. Three speed on the floor (1946) My permit at 15 and license at 16.  My dads car was a 1937 Lafiet (spelling unknown) My favorite car was a 1954 ford 2 door V-8 stick shift w/overdrive
ama 5871

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 10:20:28 AM »
Well...lets see...started the summer of 68 when I turned 15 in a 59 Chevy Impala
with a straight 6 and powerglide 2 speed auto then took my test the next summer
in my dad's 64 Impala SS (he liked Impalas).  I begged him to let me keep or buy
the car from him but not to be.  Bought a 1960 Ford Falcon 6 banger then a 62
Falcon Sprint factory four on the floor.  Then the military got me and I had to
leave it behind to my brothers...Although I did buy a 1967 Chevy Camaro after
tech school...lol.  Wish I still had that car now.  Station wagons, minivans and
what have you and now my P/U Truck and that's enough for me...the wife has
her BMW X5 and is happy...as long as I don't take up her spot in the garage with
model airplanes...Peace Reigns.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 10:34:39 AM »
Man, I would hate to list all the cars I've own or just driven. The list would be very long. Here's a partial list of some of the cooler stuff:

Sorta 1968 VW Bug (a 74 Porsche turbo carrera with a VW body on it - long story).
Porsche 928 (fastest car I ever owned)
Ferrari 308 GTS (coolest car I ever owned - still own it if I could have afforded the insurance)
Mazda RX-7 (with 13B engine - probably the most fun to drive of any car I've ever owned).
Fiat X19 Bertone (most fun at under 50 MPH)
1959 El Camino that was slightly hotroded.  Was my primary plane hauler for a couple of years Wish I still had it.
1957 Chevy Nomad that I inherited from my grandmother. Box stock and in mint condition (until my brother borrowed it and totaled it).

A lot of other fun cars. I went through them a lot when I was younger. I'd buy one, fix it up and sell it. Even briefly had a Lamborgini that I bought as a wreck from an insurance company. In the end, I couldn't afford the parts to fix it, but made quite a bit of money parting it out. But for the past 10 years, I've driven a poor old Chevy S-10 Blazer. Just keep fixing it. I suppose that since it's got some 320,000 miles on it, I will probably have to give up on it soon, though.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 03:21:51 PM »
I sold a Toyota Corolla diesel last year, with 300,000 on the clock! water pump at 250,000, first clutch at 280,000 plus the usual servicing items, it still did 50mpg! Most reliable car I've ever had, never ever broke down, only trouble is it was uncomfortable, as I'm 6'4" and it was quite small, probably why I've got to have an operation on my back next month! %^ Its still going, I see it from time to time! fantastic.

Cheers         Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 10:51:39 AM »
Learner March 1971.  License around June 1971.  Did driver's ed in school.

Wildest car I have ever driven - Ferrari F430 Stradale.  And yes, I did get to drive it on a race track. :)

I have driven LOTS of cars.  I currently teach high performance driving, part time, at Summit Point race track in WV.  And I race SCCA in a Spec Racer Ford.  Top row center: http://www.hrace.com/drivers.html

Best thing I can recommend is to get to a GOOD performance driving school and really learn how to drive.  And this is even for our less young members.  It is amazing how little most people know about actually driving a car.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 01:01:20 PM »
I started driving around 1960,  learned on a 56' Sedan D'Ville and have a list like Brett's of vehicles owned or driven,  a couple I didn't see on the list were:
1949 Chevy COE Stake truck
early 50's Crosley Hotshot
58 Metropolitan
  These were vehicles I enjoyed for one reason or another

Shultzie ---  I think I have a pedal car like yours in a little collection, I will look at it tonight......

Dalton H.

Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 03:29:45 PM »

Shultzie ---  I think I have a pedal car like yours in a little collection, I will look at it tonight......Dalton H.

Really!! WOW! (another shot of my last project & paint job.)
"NO ONE RIDES FOR FREE!"
Don Shultz

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 03:58:26 PM »
Really!! WOW! (another shot of my last project & paint job.)
"NO ONE RIDES FOR FREE!"

That's a nice 56 chevy (I do know the oldies, but I think those were some of the most beautiful cars built in history!!!

Matt Colan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 10:07:32 AM »
I liked my 57 Nomad. Shame my brother totaled it. Sigh...

Shultzie drives a pocket rocket now.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 01:29:58 PM »
I liked my 57 Nomad. Shame my brother totaled it. Sigh...

Shultzie drives a pocket rocket now.

I had to sell my 57 Chev due to toooooooooomany tickets "conducting speed contests on public-pubic' streets and bought a brand new rag top 62 VW to recover my image with a few of the local fathers and daddieooo's  LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 02:25:22 PM »
Got my license at 14 in 1953 so I could legally ride my "Famous James" motorcycle.  Then got a commercial license at age 16 so I could legally drive grain trucks, etc.  Can't remember how young I was when I started driving tractors; "poppin' Johnny's, Farmalls, Fords, etc.  Got one speeding ticket in my life and that was in Germany in 1966.

Glen Wearden
Glen Wearden

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 03:03:28 PM »
Got my license at 14 in 1953 so I could legally ride my "Famous James" motorcycle.  Then got a commercial license at age 16 so I could legally drive grain trucks, etc.  Can't remember how young I was when I started driving tractors; "poppin' Johnny's, Farmalls, Fords, etc.  Got one speeding ticket in my life and that was in Germany in 1966.

Glen Wearden

Was it on the Autobahn? LL~
Matt Colan

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 11:14:02 PM »
Was it on the Autobahn? LL~

No, I was caught going about 20KPH over the limit before I reached one of those "way out of town" city limits signs in a small village.  The Germans, even back then, had green VW vans that they would set up at city limits signs and take high resolution pictures of speeders.  My ticket came in the mail with a picture of the back of my AMC Rambler wagon and a crystal clear image of my license plate.  The fine was 20dm, which was about $5.00.

Glen Wearden
Glen Wearden

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 11:57:54 PM »
AMC Rambler wagon

Rambler, eh?  Nice.

Brett

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 07:09:09 AM »
   Yes those Ramblers were pretty decent,  bought a new Classic 550 in 1964 for $1985 - can't even look at an old beater today for that very often.

Shultzie - Take a look at these pictures,  Gendron pedal car of the late 30's - early 40's restored.  They were usually sold under the name Skippy.  Depending on where it was bought it was claimed to be styled after a Graham or Pontiac.  Looks very similar to your first car..............

Dalton H.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:52:10 AM by Shultzie »
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 09:19:55 AM »
Dalton,  that looks almost like the little peddle car that Lakeside Speedway of Kansas City Kansas gives away on the second night of the Non-Winged Sprintcars.  They are not as fast as the WOO Cars, but I think they put on a better show.  Also have the Antique/Old Timers Cars on the same nights.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 09:23:16 AM »
Thats interesting,  I hadn't heard of anyone giving one away ???  I wonder if it's an actual old one or repro ??

DH
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 09:40:46 AM »
I thnk they are brand new peddle cars.  The local hardwre store usually has one for sale before Christmas each year.  May have to do a Google to see where they are made. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 09:57:11 AM »
THANKS DALTON!
Looks like you NAILED this little old Petal car of mine! WOW!
This photo of me and my little car was taken on the side walk in S.E. BRONSON, KANSAS. It was given to me by my Aunt Cora Love and her husband in 1942.
A picture of Aunt "CO!"
Don Shultz

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 10:33:32 AM »
Great old pictures !!!!

DH
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2010, 01:08:02 PM »
Got my original DL in 1964.  Didn't go to any Driver's Training course, got taught by an Uncle who was a commercial million mile safe driver.  Probably much superior to most DT courses.  Taught me that the head is always on a swivle when driving.  First thing to do before starting is check the mirrir positions.  Learned to drive on his 64 Buick Wildcat,  Let me take it up to 125 once, on an open highway.  Also, did my parallel p[arking test with that barge.  First car was a 57 Chevy 150.  Good city car, not a highway cruiser back when the Ohio Turnpike had an 80 mph limit.  As a lesson, he advised me to drive on the nearly bald tires till I had the chance to drive it in the rain.  Home town had a section of brick paving (smooth) on the main street.  Haven't let my tires get down to the wear indicators since.  

Got my Class A CDL in 1994, after having a Chauffer's license for 4 years.  Have also held USAF Driver's and flightline equipment operator's tickets, Libyan DL, Pan American, and an International license.  Can't say how many, or remember all the makes and models I've driven in 42 years workng in the automotive industry, but most remember my Falcons and Mustang, a 1970s Maserati, a couple different Rolls (RH and LH Drives), a 3 cylinder DKW, and a Citroen.  Probably the most excitement, since passing my Driver's Test, was having brakes fail at 50 mph while doing a brake test on a frozen lake in Northern Sweden.  I can identify with those guys on Ice Road Trucking.  When other guys talk about their trucks like Chevy C10s or Ford F150s, I can talk about KWs, Freightliners, Petes, and the like.  6 speed manual trannies? try 13 and 15 speeds.

Tony

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 01:15:19 PM »
Summer of 1978, somewhere really close to my 16th birthday.  The instructor informed me that I had just barely passed the driving test, and earnestly suggested that I practice some more and get my license later.  I kept my eyes wide and nodded, then went back in to the building and got my @#$% card!

Fortunately I drive better than I fly -- if that changes, I hope it means my flying is getting better.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2010, 03:42:19 PM »
I started to drive when I was 6 years old on my grandfathers farm on a model A pickup truck. My uncle turned me loose in the middle of a field and said go to it. Only thing he forgot to tell me was how to stop, which is probably the most impotant thing to know when driving for the first time. After that I used to drive to the house and get the lunches for the work crew. That was real exciting for everone involved. HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2010, 07:45:02 PM »
I started to drive when I was 6 years old on my grandfathers farm on a model A pickup truck. My uncle turned me loose in the middle of a field and said go to it. Only thing he forgot to tell me was how to stop, which is probably the most impotant thing to know when driving for the first time. After that I used to drive to the house and get the lunches for the work crew. That was real exciting for everone involved. HB~> HB~> HB~>

WOW LEO! "THAT STORY SOUNDS A LOT LIKE..."POST ABORTION?" LL~ VD~ ~^
Don Shultz

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 03:45:05 PM »
My CA driving license on my 16th birthday, in 1949.  I truly needed a car, because a bit over 1 year later, I started as a freshman at Univ. of So. Calif., having finished H.S. early, and with already college credits earned during H.S.   Although H.S. was within walking distance,  USC required driving, and through some tough-looking parts of L.A.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 09:43:55 PM »
Did something very dangerous.  While reading this topic, I started thinking.  Actually, since I am no longer employed, and no longer needing to work, maybe that's not so dangerous any more.

What is so off-topic about getting a driver's license?  Isn't it a vital component of most of us getting somewhere we can conveniently and safely fly?
Tony

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2010, 08:51:12 PM »
I learned to drive in a 69' Triumph Spitfire in about 1984 or so.  That was my first car and interesting in a little South Florida town of 3500 where jacked up fwd's were the norm ;D  After I graduated I bought a 72 Porsche 911E and went into the Navy.  I still have the 911, its lasted through a lot of other cars.
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 05:57:27 AM »
My first car was a 1958 Olds Starfire limited addition convertable, metalic blue with a white top and white all leather interior. All the power accessories. What a chick magnet! Hardest part was finding a parking space big enough for it in my Queens,ny nieborhood. LL~ I sure wish I had it now and if back seats could talk, Right guys!---LOUIE  :P :P 8)

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
My first car was a 1958 Olds Starfire limited addition convertable, metalic blue with a white top and white all leather interior. All the power accessories. What a chick magnet! Hardest part was finding a parking space big enough for it in my Queens,ny nieborhood. LL~ I sure wish I had it now and if back seats could talk, Right guys!---LOUIE  :P :P 8)

Yeah, those size cars were HUGE!!!!  Boy Louie, it sounds like if you still had that car, it would certainly turn heads at car shows if it was in good shape.

While on the subject, I've since driven 3 other cars besides what I've posted earlier, a Hyundai Santa Fe (ew), a Ford Edge (great driving car), and my mother's 86 Buick Regal. 

Matt Colan

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 11:14:24 AM »
It's one thing to be sentimental about the older cars, but I am (blessed or cursed?) with having many memories of the older cars, including large gas tanks and low gas mileage, frequent problems, no air conditioning.  How many people remember what it was like to have to periodically have to clean and refill an oil bath air cleaner?  When was the last time you heard of vapor lock?  Or flodded an engine because you applied to much of the manual choke?  I fondly remember my 57 Chevy, but also remember things like the above plus the heavy body roll that kept me from really being able to hit some back country winding roads even at the  posted speed limits.  How many people today would like having to apply the brakes half a block from a stop light or stop sign at residential 25 mph?  or taking over 300' to stop from 50 mph?  Parallel parking those barges without power steering?

Of course, then there were advantages, like comfortable bench seats so your favorite girl could sit right along side of you arm and arm (Sorry, safety people?) and the room for carrying a small airforce and support equipment for a whole day's flying, including a full picnic basket!
Tony

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 12:07:49 PM »
I love old hot rods and just old cars in general, would love to have one, but there is a you tube video of a 1959 Chevy Impala pitted in a 30mph head on crash test with a 2009 Impala( I think it was sponsored by Chevy to blow their safety horn).  The results are stunning to say the least!  The 2009  occupants would have walked away while the 1959 occupants would likely not have made it.  The 09 crumpled and the 59 just flat caved in... all that extra barge like space did nothing.  Having said that, I would still be happy to have say a 51 Chevy Belair or something in the garage, I just wouldn't feel to comfortable with the wife and kids driving around in it all the time.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2010, 03:22:50 PM »
I love old hot rods and just old cars in general, would love to have one, but there is a you tube video of a 1959 Chevy Impala pitted in a 30mph head on crash test with a 2009 Impala( I think it was sponsored by Chevy to blow their safety horn).  The results are stunning to say the least!  The 2009  occupants would have walked away while the 1959 occupants would likely not have made it.  The 09 crumpled and the 59 just flat caved in... all that extra barge like space did nothing.  Having said that, I would still be happy to have say a 51 Chevy Belair or something in the garage, I just wouldn't feel to comfortable with the wife and kids driving around in it all the time.
Gig Haaaba car show... Yes, Wish I had my old 57 Chev as shown in last photo.
Don Shultz

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 04:37:07 PM »
Hey I was stationed in Bremerton from 1990-93 for an overhaul.  Great place, well the whole state.  had a great time there, so much in fact that my bride let me talk her into driving from Indiana out to Wa. on our Honeymoon! She loved it as well.

We used to go to the Goodguys at Puyallup (sp) and watched some nostalgia drags somewhere there.  I rented a house and 24X40 shop with 4 other guys while I was there, I had a 69 Mustang 351W 4spd, another had a 66 Charger 400 4spd, another had a 68 SS/RS Camaro 396 4spd and the others had dirt bikes and/or 4wd's.. bunch of single guys with pockets full of money... Man that was a GREAT time, nothing but great memories for sure!

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 12:08:24 AM »
Got my license in 1986 at age 17. Took the driving test at the Roseville, CA DMV. Perfect Score!! I had to use my folks '77 Olds Cutlass for the test. (lame).

Have had many hotrods since. My favorite one was a '72 Plymouth Duster with a 360 and a four speed. I had to get rid of it when I got married because it scared the hell out of my wife. But my current one is a '61 VW with a whole lot of HP in the back. (well, a lot for a VW anyway)

-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2010, 08:14:10 PM »
I remember once a graduating high school senior brought his graduation present, a brand new 72 Olds (4-4-2  IIRC) in to the shop where I worked.  Seems his buddies thought the car was a dog.  He took it in to the school's auto shop to see if they could do anything with it.  Really became a dog.  Took it for a test drive, told him it wasn't acting like a 4-4-2 should.  Brought everything into middle of factory specs, put the proper plugs in, with the proper gap, and had to do some re-adjustment on the Rottenchester Quadrajet.  Most of the linkages were messed up.  Even had to seat and back out the idle screws.  Set the  timing a bit towards the advanced side of the specs.  Finished up, took him for a test drive.  Went out to a relatively unused street near the shop.  Stopped.  Asked him how many stock cars had the guts to do this.  Then, I released the brake and floored the accelerator.  We just sat there unmoving building a smoke cloud.  Then I let off the gas, stopped to let the tires cool, then did a more normal acceleration run that pressed us back in the seats.  On the way back to the shop, clued him in to a couple things about cars.  About 3 weeks later, here he was with his parents and his new car, a 5 litre Chevelle, looking for a tune-up check.  The big block Olds was too much for him.  A very smart kid.

Oldsmobiles had a lot of potential.
Tony

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2010, 03:40:06 PM »
See my new car...Uhhh? NOT! H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2010, 04:55:13 PM »
nice 540K ;)

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2010, 12:27:30 AM »
Amazing how as cars developed the mechanical improvements to greater reliability, efficiency, comfort, and safety, the designers lost so much of the artistic creativity and the visual uniqueness that made it easy to tell one model, one manufacturer from another.  Now, seeing cars on the street I sometimes am reminded of the song words "Boxes, little boxes, all made out of ticky-tacky, and they all look just the same."

Only a small number of cars are really differentiated from others.
Tony

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2010, 06:56:26 AM »
In recent times Dodge change the look of their trucks to make them look like trucks.  It took a while to grow on ya.  Now everybody else is following the design.  You remember the first min-van? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here