News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:56:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: JOHN JAMES....MASTER MODELMAKER NOT FORGOTTEN  (Read 9787 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
JOHN JAMES....MASTER MODELMAKER NOT FORGOTTEN
« on: May 11, 2016, 11:50:58 AM »
JOHN JAMES MASTER MODEL MAKER MEMORIES....
Years ago...when I first joined the model shop at the Boeing Wind Tunnel...I met John on my first day's introduction to the Phantom Works Wind Tunnel.
The late Larry Johnson, my first supervisor and John were giving me a tour of the Wind Tunnel model shop and the Engineering staff that was located upstairs on the second floor...(overlooking the Boeing Field Tower and runway.) (Also standing on our side of the street were TWO HUGE STEEL BALLS..Hummm????

SUDDENLY I HEARD THIS HUGE SOUND WHICH ALSO MADE THE ENTIRE BUILDING "SHAKE-RATTTTTTLE' N ROLL!"

Thinking this was an EARTH QUAKE...I quickly thought of ducking under the nearest desk....for safety!

I then saw and heard both John and the supervisor laughing at my fear!!!#################THEN SUDDENLY--- THE RATTLE AND SHAKING STOPPED...

After they STOPPED LAUGHING I was informed that this SHAKE RATTLE N ROLL was just the SUPERSONIC TUNNEL t conducting a test on a new high speed supersonic model.
This shake happens every time the COMPRESSED AIR that is SUDDENLY released flows INSTANTLY through to the test chamber model that is being performed.

Enough drivel.. Here is John drinking coffee at the station near our wood shop...I will never forget that ICKY COFFEE pot that was always brewing day and night.

This might have been why so many of us were sick so often. (Plus that Duwamish tainted water we were drinking in those days..was truly filled with many kinds of contaminates.
  So many of us miss John and think of him often when I hear about one of our test models being performed H^^
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:57:26 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: JOHN JAMES....MASTER MODELMAKER NOT FORGOTTEN
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 01:08:20 PM »
Now that U mention.....Monthly at Boeing I would pen & ink an "OPPS TEX" pen and ink sketches of accidents and OPPS'S that happened....Also on special OPPS things that happened (if I had the time and not working on a flutter model) i would paint and draw a full colored drawing for Boeing's Safety programs. Sorta like this
(Don't tell!!! This is my retired friend Jim Parks who's mistake would end up in a full color drawing...(never did find where or which burn barrel
 the originals ended up
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here