News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:25:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: JOHN D'OTTAVIO-TOM NIEBUHR Double Stunt Grunts of Today!  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
JOHN D'OTTAVIO-TOM NIEBUHR Double Stunt Grunts of Today!
« on: October 02, 2007, 03:04:10 PM »
Over the years....JOHN D'OTTAVIO & TOM NIEBUHR are names that keep "POPPIN UP over and over and round' and around!!
For example...
John D'Otavio's beautiful Falcon is one of those classical models that simply just seem to keep on keepin' on.
 From the first time that I had the chance to test ride that Falcon, I had always thought about building one because the memory of how beautiful and friendly that model handled on the end of the lines, powered by that highly tuned McCoy 40 redheadski
 (see attached photo-Sorry John...this one is painted white!!! Not your favorite color ORANGE

Anyhoo....I had to add another favorite model that I have always wanted to build also.
That amazing Road Runner..and my special thanks to Tom for bringing so many of these favorite old beauties into reality again... (sorry but the lame photographer cut Gieskes hat n' pipe off who is "playin-stouuugeeee'man!

Tom...Thanks for lettin be 'borrow a couple of photos from your awesome website.
www.blueskymodels.net

Check out what Tom has made available for everyone.

OK! U GRUNTS...CHIME IN HERE AND GIVE A FEW STORIES ABOUT BOTH OF THESE BALSA BUTCHERIN' ICONS!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:22:52 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: JOHN D'OTTAVIO-TOM NIEBUHR Double Stunt Grunts of Today!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 10:56:57 AM »
Just a note as well as a question about that beautiful Road Runner by  Bill Melton & Jim Young in the MAN March 67 issue that flew so beautifully at the 68 nats.

Hummm?
Just a weird question...Jim Young really showed the stunt-folks what he could do at the nats and to this day I keep wondering why stunt grunters of today should not only combine their talents like they did in those days.
Some modelers really design great looking models....others build with extremely talented craftsmanship...and then others although they don't build so beautifully...show amazing talent when it comes to paint and trim.
One of the best looking painted and finished models that I have ever seen in this lifetime was those models by Tacoma Modelairs EDWARD KNUTSEN...(who didn't give rip about building and cut all kinds of corners, just to get to the finishing and paint stages of his drop dead works of art.
 Although he was one of the most prolific and speeeeeedy builders...and thankfully, Ed was an extremely talented flyer with exceptional flying skills...but very alarming was the "strad-ah-awful-cal' crash rate of many of those beautiful outter-skinned beauties that could have lasted for at least one full flying season.
Bottom line:
I guess we could say: The creation of a successful and long lived stunt machine...is more than just SKIN DEEP:)

(another look at the Road Runners bare bones: H^^ )

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:23:30 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 12:30:28 PM »
John coached many of us, including Windy, Bill Simons, Dawn Cosmillo, Barry Simons, Ed Elasick, and lowly ole me. He also has several designs to his credit including Classics "JD Falcon", "Topper" (Jr Falcon), "Jerseyan"(Sept 2004 Model Aviation), and the "Silencer" that we co-designed more recently. John is one of those unforgettable characters, and has been like my second father. At 84 years of age John is still very active both coaching and competing!
Even Bob Gieseke recently said that when he gets old he wants to be like John.

Here some of John's and My airplanes:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:24:05 AM by Shultzie »
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 12:38:12 PM »
TOM!
IT'S GREAT TO HAVE YOUR INSIGHT ON THESE BEAUTIFUL CLASSIC MODELS AND MODELERS!GREAT WRITING AND SUPA' PHOTOS...KEEP THEM COMING AND A HUGE BIG THANKS TOM!

For clarification to my last post about ED (Mr.Paint) KNUTSEN...
attached is a (sample of his workmanship photos of his one of a kind custom models from waaaaaaaaay back in 67 or 68 when we were mere tots!)

Ed on left, Ben Madsen in middle..and OUR LEO MEHL on right
ED! WHERE ARE U TODAY???
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:24:30 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 12:47:58 PM »
I just heard that Windy is now planning a very large Birthday party for John D'Ottavio, who will be 85 January 2008!

Here are a few more pictures. These include me, with Ed Elasick, my son Craig, and lastly with John and Craig in 2002.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:24:56 AM by Shultzie »
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 04:10:07 PM »
WOW! GREAT PHOTOS and STORIES!
Thanks for taking the time to share these with us...but!!!!

Amazing how these shots from our Goodol'-daze!!! Kinda dates us...even though except for your son...HA! WE LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME AS WE USED TOO?  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ VD~ H^^
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:25:21 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 03:17:53 PM »
I just received my Falcon kit from Tom.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:25:51 AM by Shultzie »
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: JOHN D'OTAVIO-TOM NIEBUHR Double Stunt Grunts of Today!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 04:47:20 PM »
I just received my Falcon kit from Tom.

ARE YOU GOING TO PAINT IT A TRIBUTE DAYGLOW ORANGE? LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 12:16:15 AM »
A friend had a yellow and white Falcon in 1961 or so.  I'll paint mine like his. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:21:41 AM by Shultzie »
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 07:45:02 AM »
Shultzie,
The "tribute orange" would have to be John D'ottavio's red-orange.

Howard,
Just make sure that it isn't "school bus" yellow"!

Shultzie,
Judging by this and the other thread, I don't think that you favor orange. At the last Mirror Meet in 1961, about 85% of the stunters were orange! My blue "Futura" and Ed Elasick's cream "Falcon" looked out of place! The next year Ed had his first brown "Impala", I went to metalic blue, then a yellow "Impala" then brown, then red. My Fokker Red "Clipper" was one of my best airplanes. I flew it for about 5 years until it was just worn out! I have the rough drawings, but I have never built another. (The "Clipper II" is also pictured in the clipping of Ed Elasick and me above.)  I have revived PART of the paint scheme in my current "Top Hat".
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:26:18 AM by Shultzie »
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 06:52:17 PM »
Tom!  ~>
Actually Tom...I LOVE ORANGE for models...(for example that last shot of your BEAUTIFUL TOP HAT IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF THE VERY BEST IN ORANGE EXCELLENCE and equally tasty trim scheme! POSILUTELY-ABSOTIVELEEEE' PERFECTION!!! WOW!

Visually, against a bright blue sky or even a dull grey misty sky... COAST GUARD ORANGE IS EXACTLY THE RIGHT COLOR!

Not to change the subject but the WORST COLOR VISUALLY HAS PROVEN TO BE THE HARDEST COLOR TO SEE IN MOTION IS: MAROON.
The tests were conducted a few years ago for the Automobile Insurance company's.
Something to do with with a human beings eye ballereeee's and the color Maroon in motion is the first color to disappear into the ultra-violet light spectrum...n'allthatjazzzzzyjizzerooonies????
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:26:49 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 11:44:47 PM »
Shultzee,
Your computer must be way off. The "Top Hat" "Red" is a very brilliant "Corvette Red". Thanks for the compliments on the airplane. The "Top Hat" will be in Flying Models, as soon I finish the CAD work. Seems everything else gets in the way.

BTW... D'Ottavio is spelled with two "t"s
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:27:13 AM by Shultzie »
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 10:33:07 AM »
Shultzee,
Your computer must be way off. The "Top Hat" "Red" is a very brilliant "Corvette Red". Thanks for the compliments on the airplane. The "Top Hat" will be in Flying Models, as soon I finish the CAD work. Seems everything else gets in the way.

BTW... D'Ottavio is spelled with two "t"s
OPPS! Maybe its more than just my "puter" that waaaaaaaaaaay off...but my demented eye-ta'-brain cells?  LL~
A big Thanks about my goofed up spullin' on John's name and I have gone back and have tried to correct my errrooorrrrroooooooor H^^
Anyhoo....Those beautiful models (either red or orange) look great in any language to this ol' grunt. n~
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 06:17:58 PM »
Who's fueling the white falcon?
AMA 13001

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 08:00:58 PM »
Tom,
 That would be me. Thanks to you for alerting me of it - and off course Don for taking that photo  of me and the JD Falcon II at the 69 NATS.
To me, John D'Ottavio will always be "The Man". He gave me hours of coaching on building that Falcon. Many , many drives to the D'Ottavio home where as an 18 year old kid, I was always welcome by his late wife , his sons and daughter.

I hope to see him this season at an upcoming G.S.C. B. event- Maybe this weekend if the weather holds out.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 08:04:27 AM »
Wow Frank!

Believe it or not, John is finally flying that version of his Falcon. He started the airplane in the 60s.

John also has a jet version of the Falcon, trike gear, forward bubble canopy, inlets and all. That airplane also has been collecting dust, and sits unfinished from the 60s. John will be getting it to me in Texas in about a month, and I will finally finish it.  Imagine a 40 year old project! I will document the entire airplane, so it is a Classic legal airplane.

Also thanks for mentioning John's wife Yolanda. She was like a second mother to me. When Linda and I moved back to NJ in the early 70s, Yo gave us a true Italian feast with umteen courses. After a couple hours of eating, the food was still coming out of the kitchen. We will never forget it.

John and I still talk every month or so. please say hello for us.
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 06:17:06 PM »
Frank...and Tom!
Thanks! You guys made my day....keep those stories coming about John!
Frank..
Again, thanks for your personal E mail a while back. Great to hear about those good ol'd days when we were all just a bunch of kiddies...

Now look what happens to the eye sight (check out this horrific photo of what happens when old fart CLPA addicts eye and co-ordination start to fail.
(compliments to www.flyinglines.org for this OUCH photo!)
Heard from Mike yesterday and the pain is being taken care of my some pretty good MEDS and tender care.
He hopes to be back in flying mode...for Puyallup???? HUMMM? THAT'S FAST HEALING.
Don Shultz

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 07:25:40 PM »
Tom,
I think I saw John's jet design stunter at the D'Ottavio homestead  in Succasunna ,NJ. Great to hear from you. I think we met at Scarinzi's bicycle shop sometime in the late eighties or early nineties.
The forecast for Sunday's GSCB event is not looking too swell- very high probability of a full day of thundershowers and winds 14-16 MPH. Sounds like slack lines and electric shock city. Shucks- I hope the forecast is wrong.I really hoped to reconnect with John for the first time in  35 years.

Don, your photo archives are a reconnect for everyone. The UMAC , NJ  Club  I flew with  in the 60s  had  just a few  shutterbugs. A  couple of years ago , I gave  another former UMACer- Don Shulman( Leon's son , Jason's dad) a  60s vintage b&w glossy pic of himself flying  a stunter -dressed  period correct -white clam diggers , sock-less penny loafers, and shades. What laughs.

Watch those props, eh ?

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 06:38:32 PM »
<chop>
(compliments to www.flyinglines.org for this OUCH photo!)
Heard from Mike yesterday and the pain is being taken care of my some pretty good MEDS and tender care.
He hopes to be back in flying mode...for Puyallup???? HUMMM? THAT'S FAST HEALING.

Went flying this AM, June 5, at "The Mattress Factory" in Sumner. Mike was there, and he put 3 flights up on his new-ish Shrike, testing a new Randy Aero quiet pipe and liking it.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 08:10:27 AM »
Frank,
 You are correct. The Jet was at John's house in Succasunna, NJ.  A few moves later,John brought it to Texas, and it was here 4 or 5 years, now it is back in Fort Lee, NJ. The airplane is well travelled, and still uncovered. John agreed to have me finish the airplane. I suspect that it will require a lot of rework, but I have always liked the looks of the airplane, so I am really looking forward to working on it.

Like I said, the airplane is a 40 year old projects.
AMA 7544

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 04:51:40 PM »
Tom,
I'm glad you are taking on this project... especially for a guy like John who gave so much of himself to others- kids and  fellow  competitors alike. He always  shared his knowledge  with me...and  I remember how tight  lipped  some guys were back then. Running  stunt at the NATS( don't know how many times, but do know that he ran it in 69) meant, as you know,  training the Navy personnel who judged.

Hope you are able to post some pics of your progress.

Frank

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 09:14:55 AM »
Tom,
I'm glad you are taking on this project... especially for a guy like John who gave so much of himself to others- kids and  fellow  competitors alike. He always  shared his knowledge  with me...and  I remember how tight  lipped  some guys were back then. Running  stunt at the NATS( don't know how many times, but do know that he ran it in 69) meant, as you know,  training the Navy personnel who judged.

Hope you are able to post some pics of your progress.

Frank
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 01:33:41 PM »
There is a great picture of John Flying at Brodaks 3 days ago, from the Open Forum, Brodak's Tuesday.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:30:00 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 09:06:48 AM »
First time I met John was at a NATS and he was doing the pull testing.  Didn't realize then who I was dealing with.  A great gentleman. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here