News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:09:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: JIM KOSTECKY-TODAY'S STUNT GRUNT  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
JIM KOSTECKY-TODAY'S STUNT GRUNT
« on: December 27, 2006, 01:02:52 PM »
Jim Kostecky....is gone but his memory lives in the hearts of every stunt grunt who had the pleasure to enjoy Jim Kostecy's company on the flying field.
SUCH A GIFTED TREASURE TO OUR WORLD. HE MADE THIS WORLD AND OUR WORLD OF STUNT...A BETTER PLACE! As a teacher, mentor, friend...he touched the minds, hearts..and lives of so many people from all walks of life.  He never met a stranger...instantly he made you feel like a long time caring friend.
The first time I met  and flew with Jim was at the 1968 nats during the judging of appearence points the night before....under the lights of the hanger tables.
Those lights were perfect for reflecting the beautiful hand rubbed and detailed finishes.
By chance...Jim walked in....SAT HIS BEAUTIFUL RED-FORMULA S right next to my model on the viewing table. Dave Gierke, who was standing next to me...introduced me to Jim. (In truth...can U imagine just what a humbling experience that was to me, to have not ONE, BUT TWO outstandingly beautiful pieces of sky-art...sitting next to my Sting Ray, that by this time had become pretty war air-rashed n' pretty weary looking, in comparison to both these beautiful examples of stunt model perfection.
Bottom Line:
A book could be written about Jim and speaking of books. I have included a page from Flying Models Dec. 1966 issue, with his beautifully written article about not only his TALON stunter...but more importantly his ideas and thoughts about stunt competititon is a GOLD MINE WEALTH OF IDEAS.
Do yourself a favor...and find a copy. Mine is so musty and smelly from being stored for too long a time in an attic above the garage.

The last photos are of Jim at the 1969 nats where he flew his new
CAPTAIN AMERICA--as you can guess...it wasn't long that day, when all of us were calling him. "Captain America!:)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:29:44 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: JIM KOSTECKY-TODAY'S STUNT GRUNT
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 01:37:45 PM »
Here is my photo of Jim Kostecky and his Formula S.  This was at the 68 Olathe Nats.

This has to be in my top 10 if not my top 5 for best appearing stunt ships.  He was a true craftsman, an artist, and a good flyer.  I just wish I could have known him better.

Keith Trostle

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:31:08 AM by Shultzie »

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 02:44:29 PM »
The Talon is my all time favorite... I liked everything Mr. Kostecky did
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 10:30:39 PM »
Jim's designs are always a favorite of mine.  To see them modeled makes me feel good.  I know I would have liked to have gotten to know him, he has always been portrayed as a great all round guy.

A Formula S is in the future for a build for me.  RED of course!  y1 ;D

Thanks, Don.
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 12:41:33 PM »
Thankfully Jim took the time to share so many of his beautiful projects by illustrating and publishing his articles in Flying models.
His beautiful Formula S from the December 1968 Flying Models magazine is truly a collector issue.
Long live his memory...
Don Shultz
Gig Harbor, Wa.
Don Shultz

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 02:38:10 PM »
Jim was a very close personal friend and his passing affected me greatly. We spoke at least once a week on the phone for years and Jim also published many original FF designs in FM when I was the editor there.

I was deeply honored to be asked to speak at his memorial service. I drove up to Lancaster, New York and stayed with Dave Gierke that weekend. We spent hours just telling Jim Kostecky stories. Jim was a great kidder and practical joker. Dave has a bunch of great stories about Jim's exploits. Maybe I can entice him to post a few on this thread.

I started to build a Formula S a few years back and told Jim I was doing that. He said that he always wanted to build another one for himself, and before I knew it he had finagled the parts I had made from me! He came down the next day and picked them up before I could change my mind. I've since started another one that I'm building and will fly in memory of my very good buddy, Jim Kostecky - The ULTIMATE UKRANIAN. Attached (hopefully...) is a photo of the parts for that Formula S.

Bob Hunt

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 06:28:34 PM »
Bob,

Isn't the blue airplane pictured above as "Captain America" really the "Spirit of America"???

I flew the "Spirit of America" after judging the St Louis team trials.

I will never forget how kind Jim was that day. Everyone was swapping airplanes when the trials were over and Jim asked me if I wanted to fly it. I said, "Jim you don't even know if I can fly".  He answered " You can judge, you can fly!"

On take off, the lines caught on the grass and I thought I was going to lose it, but it got loose in time. I did one lazy eight to feel it out, and thought to myself "This flies just like my airplane"  (Bob, you remember my red "Clipper")

After the flight Jim said "Gee, the judge flies my airplane better than I can!" of course it was not true.

At the last Nats that he attended, we talked about that incident, and he said that he did not have a picture of the "Spirit of America" so I sent a picture to him.

Jim was a prince of a guy, and is heartfully missed.

If I was to build a Kostecky airplane the "Spirit of America" would be the one, but I don't know if any details are available. Would Dave have any info on it?

AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 06:38:55 PM »
Thanks Bob!
That photo of yours showing perhaps the most beautiful made parts that I have ever seen. Truly beautiful contruction...a work of pure artistry as this photo shows amazingly beautiful technique.......
Again thanks for sharing about Jim. It would be great if you could add some additional memories of our beloved  Artist brotha in balsa.
U never cease to amaze me with your gifts that U have brought to our masses of stuntgrunts.
Color me as your one of your greatest fans...

Bob, Have a great new year...and be well and happy.

I am having a horrifical' time getting my sketch-mind back in the  drawing & modeling mode, especially after all those years of building-n'-sketchin' for the Boeing bunch. I have been retired almost 3 years and still haven't recovered my moooooojoe' yet?  HB~> n~
Exiled don in Gig haaaaba
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 06:50:16 PM »
Bob,

Isn't the blue airplane pictured above as "Captain America" really the "Spirit of America"???

--------------------Yes! The plane was "Spirit of America"  but Gierke, Billy "Worrywedgie" and I stuck Jimbo with his "Captain America" name.
Captain America...was just a nicky-name.  How fortunate you were able to fly that beautiful "Spirit of America" plane of Jim's (and especially fortunate that you didn't kill it? :)
I have slides of that beautiful Spirit of America from about every angle...in my slide file. I too was so very awed at Jims talent for just about everything. Truly, Bob, he was loved by so many. He lives with us...through our memories and the works he left behind us. He gave so much during his....gone too soon life. He touched the lives of so many...huh?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 07:17:56 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 07:31:06 PM »
Its been said, “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”. 

If Jim can see us poor mortals from the great beyond, he will no doubt get a big laugh from this photo!  I believe it was taken in ‘69 or ’70.  I met Jim in ’68 at the Nats and was so inspired by his Formula S, his craftsmanship, his artistry and his sense of humor that I immediately began building and painting a series of very poor imitations (there must have been at least 10 airplanes!).

My impressions were so positive that I actually posed, albeit subliminally, like Jim while remaining consistent with my pattern of poor imitations of his work. 

I don’t remember who took this picture but evidently they were stuck in conventional “stunt plane tail moment mode” and decided the tail should have been a lot shorter!  Rest assured there is an elevator and stab attached and yes I painted yet another poor imitation of the Kosteky stripes! 

Shultzie, thanks for the memories.  Happy You Near to you and Carol.

Phil
PT Granderson

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 07:58:47 PM »
I don't know who has it or where it is now, but about 18 months ago while in Manassas at our flying park there - Tom McClain had the original Talon and we were were flying it.  It was a good flyer.  It was just slightly lighter on line tension than I liked though.  I think the paint scheme on Captain America was copied to a great extent on Gerry Phelps's Patriot. 

Jim Pollock

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 08:25:39 PM »
Don,

It was an honor to fly the "Spirit of America". Thankfully I was was well practiced at the time, and it was a good flight. That airplane was one of those airplanes that you just felt comfortable with instantly.. even his handle setting was right on the money for me.

I would love to have copies of your pictures. And, as I said above, I wish we had enough details to recreate the airplane. Jim never told me what happened to it. I am relatively sure it was a developement from the "Talon", but I don't have the slightest idea how different it was.

Jim was also quite an artist, and I could never reproduce the graphic on the outboard wing. Again, Jim is missed, and perhaps the greatest tribute is that we are still talking about him.
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 09:10:07 PM »
Its been said, “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”. 

If Jim can see us poor mortals from the great beyond, he will no doubt get a big laugh from this photo!  I believe it was taken in ‘69 or ’70.  I met Jim in ’68 at the Nats and was so inspired by his Formula S, his craftsmanship, his artistry and his sense of humor that I immediately began building and painting a series of very poor imitations (there must have been at least 10 airplanes!).

My impressions were so positive that I actually posed, albeit subliminally, like Jim while remaining consistent with my pattern of poor imitations of his work. 

I don’t remember who took this picture but evidently they were stuck in conventional “stunt plane tail moment mode” and decided the tail should have been a lot shorter!  Rest assured there is an elevator and stab attached and yes I painted yet another poor imitation of the Kosteky stripes! 

Shultzie, thanks for the memories.  Happy You Near to you and Carol.

Phil

Phil....Thanks for the Happyneartoyoutoo...
Carol and I always enjoyed your visits at our old Auburn hanger. You were so much fun to be around...you were like a brother and we always enjoyed your friendship and company. We miss your friendship greatly and hope that you'll find your way back soon here to the NW.

You are too humble...Phil. Your models  are truly world class...as well as your flying abilities.

You make flying the pattern always look soooooooooooooooooo darned easy.

I have never seen stunt flyer that seems so relaxed and at home while flying a pattern in competition.
I think it was either Parsons or Letsinger...that used to say---
"Hey look at Phil, have you ever seen anyone so confident and relaxed while flying an offical flight?  HOW'S HE DO THAT?"
It was also fun to watch the faces of your competitiors while U were flying. Some of our more nerve damaged flyers from Portland and Canada...wondered how you could fly with such a calm attitude?
(Perhaps a learned experience, in stayin' calm,cool,n' collected..... from all those years in high powered account excutive jobs for major fortune 50000000 industries?) 

Wow! THAT CROPPED PHOTO!!! GADS! WERE WE EVER THAN YOUNG? :)
Don Shultz

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 09:20:44 PM »
The Formula S has been a favorite of mine for a while.  My wife is from the St. Louis area and I've been able to look at the original hanging on the wall at Shaffer's Hobby Shop.  Allen Brickhaus gave me the plans several years back (thanks my friend).  I have most of the plane built and hope to have it ready by next season.  I'm planning to copy the original paint scheme and power with a VF 40/muffled.  It's definitely one of the top 10 as far as I'm concerned.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 10:21:46 PM »
First off I'd like to thank Don for his amazing words of praise about my Formula S parts. It's always nice to have supreme craftsmen like Don look positively on one's work.

Don, you asked me to relate other stories about Jim, and I'll try to do that as time goes by. For now, I thought you all might like to read the tribute that I spoke at Jim's memorial service. This is truly something that came from my heart and I'd like to share it with you all.

Here goes...

Jim Kostecky was not only a close friend to me, but he was also a man who in a large way influenced the path my life would take in both vocation and avocation.

Jim was a true renaissance man. Many of you here know full well of his exceptional talents as a teacher and artist. What you may not know is that Jim was also world renown and revered model airplane expert. This is the avenue through which I came to know him.

As a young man who was deeply interested in model airplane flying, the name Jim Kostecky was one I knew well. He was a highly respected designer of competition aerobatic models, and many of his designs appeared in the national modeling magazines.

I remember reading one of his articles in particular dozens of times over. His technical knowledge and astute observations on how to compete successfully were absolute gems of wisdom to me.

His articles were both instructional and entertaining because his natural gift for humor would show through his writing, making technical subjects fun to read about. Again, his gifts as a teacher were evident here.

I would like to read to you the opening and closing paragraphs of my favorite Jim Kostecky article. The subject matter of this article was a construction feature about a model with which Jim finished a close second place at the United States National Model Airplane competition in 1968. I think these words truly reveal the kind of human being Jim really was.

(excerpt from the Formula S article)
"I'd like to say that this design is the culmination of three years of intensive research by myself and four aerospace engineers at Cornell Aeronautical Laboratories. After extensive wind tunnel tests all of our theories have come to fruition in this the ultimate precision aerobatics design! Boy, would I like to say this! Fortunately my mother taught me never to lie..."

His self-deprecating humor made him seem warm, friendly and approachable. I had the chance to finally meet Jim at the Nationals in 1969.

Sometimes when you meet a celebrity in a particular field, that person tuns out to be significantly different than the one you had envisioned. And, in many cases you can come away disappointed that he or she did not live up to your expectations.

Jim was exactly the person that I had envisioned from reading his articles. He was friendly, enthusiastic, and instantly set me at ease by talking with me as simply one modeler to another. I instantly counted him among my most treasured friends.

And, I'm here today speaking to you about Jim because he has remained one of my closest friends through all the years since that day we met.

His advice, good council and ready ear through the years have helped me to be a better modeler and a better competitor. I know that I'm a better human being for having known him I will miss him dearly.

I'd like to close my comments by reading the last paragraph of that same Jim Kostecky article:

"There is much more to this event than whipping a plane together and flying it. The benefits far outweigh the liabilities when one evaluates the technical knowledge he has gained, the insights into his fellow human beings, the warm experiences shared with other modelers from all over the country, and the lessons of sportsmanship one derives in the end. This is what makes model aviation so valuable. It's not the hunk of metal and wood a young boy or a grown man can win by making a model perform but what he can learn from it to inspire him to greater accomplishments technically and to the better understanding of his fellow beings through competing and working with them."

Guys, this was one of the greatest honors of my life to have been able to speak to the very many who attended Jim's memorial service. Most of them were teachers who taught with Jim or artist's who collaborated with him. They really knew little about his involvement in the modeling world. I think they all came away with even more respect and admiration for this gifted and kind man... if that's possible.

Bob Hunt     

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 12:10:56 AM »
Thank you, Bob for sharing that.  I could hear your voice speaking as I read it........

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 08:29:35 AM »
A few years ago, Dennis Piwowarski brought a rare treasure to me in Arlington, VA.  It was a somewhat ratty Jim Kostecky stunt ship.  What Dennis had was Jim's 1968 Patriot.  A one of kind CLPA ship that only Jim could make and finish.  Dennis had been flying up in New Jersey at a park and Jim came by and asked to fly Dennis' Smoothie.  Dennis let him and was absolutely amazed at the skill of Jim as he put the Smoothie through its paces.  Jim thanked Dennis, left and came back later with his Patriot.  He put in one flight, removed the engine and gave the ship to Dennis.  That  was in 1982.  In 2003 Dennis brought the Patriot to me and asked me if I could repair it and make it flyable again.  I did and we flew it again. 

I still have the Patriot and Dennis has asked me to reverse  engineer it, write a short article on it, publish the plans for this Classic era ship for Stunt News, and fly it at the VSC in 2007 to honor Jim.  I will.

Here are some pictures of it today:
Tom McClain

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 10:09:35 AM »
Tom,
Glad to that another one of Jim's masterpieces will be available. Looks like that wing has a standard planked leading edge as opposed to the I-beam type ribs.

It is also interesting that many of his airplanes had some artwork on the outboard wing. Thanks for showing these pictures.
AMA 7544

Offline hoythawkins

• New Pilot
  • Warhawks forever.
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2007, 06:50:37 PM »
I first met Jim at the Oathe Kansas Nat's in 68.  He had come by the USAF Model Teams Area in the hanger.  He had his blue Talon with him and it was after all the stunt flying was over.  He was cracking jokes and we all talked and laughingly swapped modeling stories.  I admired his blue Talon and he quickly pointed out that it was too heavy and that he felt he had gone overboard on the finish.  While telling stories and enjoying the conversations he was taking the engine and tank out of the Talon.  About midnight he turned  to me and asked if I would like a stunt ship and handed it to me. 

I took it and who wouldn't?  It was heavy and I had enough heavy stunt ships, so I never flew it. 

It hung on the wall at my Mom's house in Marietta, Ga for over 10 years.  The finish was still sharp in 1978 when I took off Mom's wall and hung it in my Hobby Shop.  It got damaged badly in 1980 while moving to San Antonio, so I reluctantly discarded it.

Jim was a devout optimist, keen competitor, and a rare wit.

He was a good friend from day one.  I am glad that I knew him.

Hawk   
Hawk
256-538-0110

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here