News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:28:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is it Really 36 years?  (Read 1298 times)

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Is it Really 36 years?
« on: June 17, 2011, 08:04:03 AM »
Hi All,
 At almost 80 years of age my dear old mom has decided to move house into a retirement complex and let someone else take the strain. During all the sorting out which is usual we found an old photo taken in 1975 of me aged 19 with my newly completed Goldberg Buster. Well I'm pleased to report the model is still going strong 36 years later.

When I returned to the fold a few years back I found the Buster in the attic, looking pretty sorry for itself still complete with totally seized Oliver Tiger up front. Like it's owner the covering had become a bit slack over the years and (Also like it's owner). It was a bit heavier than I remember.  b1 The model stripped, oil soaked wood replaced and it was also converted to electric at the same time. There must be in excess of 100 flights on it in the past few years and it's still a great flyer.

So we thought it would be nice to attempt to recreate the photo in 2011.

So here they both are, That is also the same Motorcycle Jacket that I'm wearing as well, they don't make them like they used to.  y1 The composition is not an exact duplicate because there is now a shed where the original photo was taken from but it's only a few degrees off.

Probably only of any real interest to me I guess but I got a kick out of it.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Is it Really 36 years?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 09:01:37 AM »
so which is whick? LL~  Thats a pretty cool little story, thanks for sharing. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 09:29:28 AM »
John..
Thanks for sharing this story about your mother and what an interesting "recreation" photo of you and your model.

A couple of weeks from now my wife and I are going to help her mother and father who are also in the mid and late 80's move into a retirement complex..closer to our home here in Gig Harbor.
Although they both are pretty upbeat about the new chapter in their lives...however selling their home that they have lived in for over 52 years.....so many memories keep flooding back for both of them.
Putting it mildly...this has been one of the most INTENSE period of times for both my wife and for her mother and father.

Hey John..BOTH U AND THAT MODEL(thanks to your talented rebuild)SEEM TO HAVE STOOD THE TEST OF TIME QUITE WELL ALSO.
Here is a shot of her father next to one of his B-17s. He served many missions as both a radio operator and navigator and survived not one but two seperate crashes.

Shultzie (exiled here in Gig Harbor, Wa.)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:59:53 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:11:27 PM »
Looks like the B-17 had more than the required 25 missions.  Or is it the crews?   

My wife's aunt is now in an assisted living home.  She seems happing other than a bed in her living room.  She has flowers outside the door to the patio area and people checking on her daily if not more often for eating.  Bringing the stuff from the house back to ours was a chore.   All the pictures, book, tapes and some furniture the wife wanted.  The ladies locally who are taking care of the dispersal of all the stuff have their hands full.   

John, what happened to the hair?  Also the jacket is not supposed to fit after all those years.  At least my genuine leather motorcycle jacket didn't. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 05:28:04 AM »
And Wheres the motorcycle ? ;D

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 05:16:08 PM »
Wow, those are great pictures Shultzie, I see that B17 bagged a few bandits as well judging by the swastika's. Mom's move will be a time to reflect for all of us I think, mom and dad lived there their entire married life so until my brothers and I all got married it was the only home we ever knew, it will be strange leaving it for the final time but if I'm honest the area has deteriorated somewhat and it's not a place my mom feels comfortable in anymore.  >:( So much stuff accumulated which ended up being disposed of (No one has the room for it all). :( This years Church fete will certainly have some interesting bargains to bolster the funds though so I guess it's not all sad.

If you think my hair is "Doing a Runner" you should see my two brothers, They always tell me grass does not grow on a busy street, I usually reply it doesn't grow in the desert either.  ;D Let's say the Jacket was always a generous fit with plenty of room for a jumper or two so I just grew into it.

As to the Motorcycle? (Triumph T150v) I still have that as well but it's a complete basket case, catastrophic engine blow up about 20 years ago and marriage, mortgage divorce, marriage, mortgage and bringing up kids got in the way of the rebuild. It's my retirement project. #^ I still ride motorcycles though (Have done all my life).

My current steed is an old early model Bandit 1200.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here