News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:12:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IM BACK  (Read 12900 times)

Offline Leo Mehl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
IM BACK
« on: February 26, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »
Hey Shultzie I am Back. I miss doing our verbal battles here on the hanger so get with it my freind. I hope you aren't stuck in thr ice in GIGGGA Harburrrrr. IM BACK
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:21:39 PM by Leo Mehl »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: IM BACK
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »
 Hey you old geezer,  where you been hiding.   Guess you know by now the Arctic Fox is no more.   Splattered it in Topeka last Memorial Day weekend.  It was not the planes fault, blame the pilot.  Oh, by the way,  glad you are back. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:13:35 PM »
Hey Shultzie I am Back. I miss doing our verbal battles here on the hanger so get with it my freind. I hope you aren't stuck in thr ice in GIGGGA Harburrrrr. IM BACK

WELCOME BACK LEO-----
Perhaps the only "Battle" was trying to find out whut' n' why the glitch that "shot you out into the deep black world of cyberspace happened ...buttttt' for whatever reason for the glitch, its good to have your insight-upsight-downsight-or flying counterclockwise-sight, its nice to have you back where you belong.

HEY DOC! MY DEEPEST CONDOLENCES FOR YOUR LOSS OF THE FOX.
Yes Sad to hear that you SPLATTERED your beautiful Artical' Foxy-Momma, especially from a geezer- brain fart glitch!!!!  VD~ LL~ H^^ n~

Mehl's photo of the new watering hole at Delta Park.
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 08:18:44 PM »
Oh good, I love watching unarmed men battle.   LL~  LL~

LOL! RANDY!!! HOW TRUE VD~ LL~ H^^
(bye the way....if Leo is lurking! Les McDonald sent a picture this morning and looking carefully I think this just might be one of our friend's either Mel, Randy or the Grubster...years ago when they was addicted to young ladies, tenting, and BIKES? YIKES!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:41:20 AM by Shultzie »
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 08:35:53 PM »
They did put the watering fountain in the middle of the circle for us old farts, right? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 11:30:36 PM »
Hey Leo. Big still has your quarter.... welcome back...

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 01:09:50 AM »
Leo did some fine flying this weekend.  He also got a prize for being the oldest contestant. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 06:23:08 AM »
It is about time they recognize the talent they have there.   Go get em LEO. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 03:09:05 PM »
I have done the tent thing and I also sleep with my bike! BUT my wifeeeeeee don't like to!!!!!!????? HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Randy A. Dailey

• 2016 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 07:21:06 PM »
Hello John,
    I am new to this site but was flying Combat and Rat races back in the 1960's I am from Ponca City Ok.,and I teamed up as a young teenager with Gerald Sanders, and Waldo Patterson. They took me to many matches in Kansas City, Tulsa, Irving Texas, OKC, just to name a few. I don't know if we crossed paths or not, or whether you knew Gerald or Waldo. I ran the Hobby shop in P.C. in 1965,1966,1967. I knew almost all the flyers of both C/L and R/C.
   In 1966 my Dad took me to the NATS at Glenview in a 1965 VW. We went one week early so he could watch the Cubs play. Gerald Sanders and Ray Stone from Bethany Ok. followed a week later in his 1959 VW. People couldn't believe how many Combat ships and Rat racers could come out of a beetle. I my case 6 Combat ships and 2 Rat Racers. Gerald and Ray unloaded 12 Combat Ships, 4 rats Racers, Navy Carrier Plane, and God knows what else. We all served as each others pit crew that week.  I flew in the Senior Class and won first place in Combat flying 9 matches at the cost of all 6 planes. I don't remember but one person's name that was flying in Senior combat that year. Her name was Christine Thielen. I think she was from Chicago. Later after I won first place she became known as KILLER Christine.( But that is another story for later) Norman Barnes, also from Ponca City, won 7th in Combat and Rat Race. I am hoping that some other people we read this and contact me.

Sincerely, Randy A. Dailey

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 09:42:51 PM »
Randy Dailey:

My God, what a small world! I think I saw you in a Nats picture in one of the hobby publications way back in the mid-late sixties when I was but a youth. As I recall of the pic, it was from the Olathe Nats in '68? I think you won Senior Combat flying an ST powered "Zipper"?

Am I remembering correctly? Was that you?

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 11:15:44 AM »
Randy, my self I flew with the KC Flying Eagles from 62 thru 65 and then got side tracked with work and other things.  Didn't get going again until the 70 NATS.  I flew mostly carrier and rat racing plus some combat until the 70 NATS.  Did you know the Harris' from Ponka City.  Once Doug Harris reached Open comp he quit flying and went to stock cars.  Mr Harris knew how to make the scale race engines go. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Randy A. Dailey

• 2016 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 06:15:31 PM »
Hi Andre and John,
   I can't say how happy I am to hear from you guys. John I can't believe that you remember that I was flying a Zipper combat plane. I started flying in about 63 or 64 I can't remember. I only flew at the NATS in 1966 at Glen View Naval Air Station. Can't believe anyone remembers the Zipper Combat Plane designed by Wayne Welch of Lubbock Texas. Norman Barnes of Ponca City, Ok. drafted the first full scale drawings for Wayne, as I have an original Zerox copy. It is in fair shape but I am in the process of redrawing the plans exactly to scale on my Auto Cad. My brother-in-Law has a Universal 50 watt CNC Laser and I am going to have him cut 12-24 complete sets when he gets set back up in his new home in Sept.
   John, as for Mr. Harris that name does not ring a bell with me. Are you sure he was from P.C. Okla.? Almost all the old flyers of my day have passed away. Gerald Sanders, Waldo Patterson, Norman Barnes, Beefy Branden, Don Latham, just to name a few. I can't locate Ray Stone, of OKC., or Wayne Welch of Lubbock Tex. Bill Castle, Dale Courtney, I still keep in contact with.
   The last time I flew any C/L was in early 1970, as I joined the USAR in 1967 and continued till 1999. Because I was raised in my Grandfathers shop I worked in many machine shops finally retiring from O.G.&E after 30 yrs. I have a fully equipped machine shop where I spend most of my spare time.
  I hope that their are other folks from back in the day that will contact us. I am considering going to Jersey in 2017 for that old timers reunion, as this summer is booked. I am really ready to see if I can still fly a Combat ship, but I may start with a stunt plane. Maybe on my next post I will tell my story of my encounter with KILLER CHRISTINE at the1966 NATS.

Sincerely, Randy Dailey

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 03:08:14 PM »
Randy:

Darn. Just saw that you have replied here... been forgetting to keep checking for an update to the thread.

Anyway... it was me that remembers the part about you flying the ST powered Zipper. John was the one asking about the other flyers.

So it was in '66 that you won Senior Combat with the Zipper?  Hm. I thought it was '68, but you ought to know you're the one that did it! Now, as to why I remember that picture of you holding the Zipper (and sort of remember the caption), is beyond me. I do know that when I was just starting out in C/L and I discovered combat, I fell in love with those mean looking stabilator-type combat planes. I would purchase the magazines and oogle the combat pictures taken at the Nats or wherever. I would read and reread the captions and study the planes in the pictures. In a word: I was ate up with it for several years.

Lots of time to talk about yesterday... let's talk about today:

So you've not flown a C/L airplane since 1970? 

First thing that you need to know is that you WILL get dizzy again. You'll have to re-acclimate in order not to.

As for flying a combat (vintage type) plane again: If you flew them before, you can likely fly them again.

However, I would suggest that you do NOT go up with a vintage combat plane right off the bat. Age does have some bearing on our ability to fly them, but only in the sense that you won't be as physically agile to recover from a blunder as you were in your teens, and you may find your reflexes are just a tad less than when a kid... but you should be able to get back to the place to where you can fly/stunt a vintage-type combat plane again.

I'm 64 years of age, and I can still fly my 100 - 110 MPH vintage combat planes good enough to have a ball flying them. I have vintage combat enthusiast friends that are older than I am that can still sling around a vintage combat plane and have a ton of fun doing so. Shucks, ol' Larry Scarinzi is now in his 80's, and he can still tear up the air!!  And then there's Dick Stubblefield who was still kickin' hiney and takin' names in his 70s!!

For your information, the Tulsa C/L Gluedobbers (of which I am a member) are still an active C/L club and have an excellent flying field. It would be great if you could become a part of the fun. That would be an excellent setting in which to re-enter C/L flying. I have some older Fox 35 powered foam wing slow combat airplanes (around 70 MPH) that would be good for you to use to re-enter flying.

Anyway, hope you get back into C/L flying and it would be a hoot to see some plans of the Zipper if you're successful at restoring your set. Also, if the kits become a reality, I'm in for one or two!

OH... and stop in down below at the "Combat" forum, introduce yourself, and join in the fun! 

Andre Ming
Poteau, OK

Offline Randy A. Dailey

• 2016 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 06:28:39 PM »
Andre,
    Thanks for the reply. I am in the early stages of building two new Demons. One with metal tank for a McCoy .35, the second for a S.T. .35 on Pacifier. I have Waldo Paterson , and Gerald Sanders Model Airplane equipment, since to my great sadness both have passed away. I also have three Spoilers that Gerald built equipped for Pacifiers. You are correct about starting back into flying slow planes. Since my last post I located Ray Stone and have talked to De Hill for about an hour. De said your club was having some kind of old timers get -together this fall?  My Son lives in the Tulsa area so I plan on visiting your range. Thanks for the offer to fly one of your Slow Combat Planes. As soon as my Bother-in Law gets set back up with his laser I will be sure you get a few of these planes.
     After the 1966 Nats I started Flying Combat with my eyes closed, and later in the dark. I can't remember if I learned that Riley Wooten or what top Competitor practiced at night. Sure wish I could fly like that again, but the mind says GO and the body says NO!! Please give me a call so we can talk about old times, and maybe get together in Tulsa. My number is 1-(580) 716-5532.

Keep them Flying, Randy Dailey

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 09:10:57 PM »
Hi Again Randy!

You said:

"I also have three Spoilers that Gerald built equipped for Pacifiers."

Wow, Mike Wheeler won Open Combat with a Spoiler at the '72 Glenview Nats that I attended!  Wild. That final match of Open Combat in '72 was a full 5 minutes of some terrific fighting!

"Since my last post I located Ray Stone and have talked to De Hill for about an hour."

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Ray Stone, but I've had the pleasure of knowing De for many years now. He's a stalwart of the Gluedobbers and a prince of a guy. It's my privilege to call him a friend.

"De said your club was having some kind of old timers get -together this fall?"

Well... can't say much about that at this time other than there is indeed a surprise being discussed. Hopefully, I'll have an "official word" concerning this topic in the near future.

"Thanks for the offer to fly one of your Slow Combat Planes."

Zero problem. The challenge will be coordinating schedules so we can meet at Tulsa. I'm about 1 hr 45 min drive time from the field. (Live over on the eastern part of OK in Poteau.)

Plus, the really hot OK weather is not too far away!  I don't do heat as well as I used to!

"Sure wish I could fly like that again..."

I hear 'ya. I would say my sharpest season of flying was mid-to-late '72. Before winter set in, I was flying eyes-off for the entire tank, often letting the plane be almost behind me as I maneuvered. I could also do the entire Stunt pattern with a 118 MPH combat plane no problemo. Those were the days!  I likely will never be that sharp again... but I still have a ton of fun with what skills I have left. You will too!

Hey... here's a video Tom Luciano shot of me flying my Demon at last October's Garden State Circle Burners Vintage Combat Fun Fly.  I only use 10% nitro now in deference to my aging Fox 36X engines, but the little Demon still cranks along at about 105-110 MPH, depending on conditions. If I can do this, so can you!

[youtube=425,350]https://youtu.be/hSCJ7oH9SKk[/youtube]

Lastly, thanks for your phone #, I have it jotted down for future use!

Offline Randy A. Dailey

• 2016 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 02:05:04 PM »
Andre,
   Can't tell you how much I enjoyed talking to you on the phone. I am so happy to find you, Ray Stone, and John Holiday still around. As of late I have not been able to locate Wayne Welch but I will keep trying. I thought about trying to contact Riley Wooten, as this summer will mark our 50th anniversary of winning the 1966 NATS in Combat. Him of course Open, and me Senior Div.
   I have changed my mind on how to tank my new Demons. Because I have a S.T. 35 Stunt I am going to go with Pacifier on both. If the one with S.T. .35 Stunt survives I can then Change to the S.T .35 Combat engine. In my day we used 1/64" -1/32" plywood rolled into a circle or an oval with matching Balsa wood ends. After plywood tank was glued together we cut hole for Pacifier then poured Butyrate dope in hole and rotated tank in all directions with thumb over hole. Then let excess run out of hole till dry. I hope you may have a new better way or know of a commercial Pacifier compartment I can buy. I was looking at a picture of Franks new Voodoo . It appears to have some kind of metal looking compartment like an Aluminum Coke can.
   Just got out of my attic after looking at the Three Spoilers I got from Geralds collection, and to my surprise they are set up for Pen Bladders. And also to my surprise, after wiping dust of the planes I found the initial AJJ "68" , and 29355 written on the wings. I will have to check with Mrs. Sanders next door to maybe find out if that was his AMA number. The Spoiler sure looks like the Voodoo in its construction, but I have been wrong about a few other things in my posts. All I can say is, if these are the GOLDEN Years, I don't won't to see the Platinum ones.

That's all for now, Randy Dailey

Offline Randy A. Dailey

• 2016 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 03:55:04 PM »
Andre,
   I thought I had your phone number in my phone contacts. Please send it to me as I find it easier to talk that type.

Thanks, Randy Dailey

PS: I have texting on my phone. 580 716-5532

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here