News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:05:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mr. ORIENTAL DEE RICE-STUNT GRUNT MASTER OF THE DAY  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Mr. ORIENTAL DEE RICE-STUNT GRUNT MASTER OF THE DAY
« on: May 09, 2007, 02:37:03 PM »
Waaaaay back in?????------Its been so long I can hardly remember the date when I first saw that beautifully stunning NO NONSENSE beautifully designed and equally great flying stunt model called "THE ORIENTAL"
I was so impressed with the Oriental for many reasons and most of all, that was not only straight forward in its building techniques...but flew even better than the majority of the high flaaaaaalution'jet style stunters of those days! ....I had the pleasure to actually fly a young mans beautifully crafted Oriental waaaaay back in the mid 80's. That plane groooooooooved like on rails...but turned beautiful square corners with no bar-bellin' or wobble-bobblin' that could fly with the best of the best and in the right hands could take a beginner...all the way to the world championships. I WAS THAT IMPRESSED!

Attached are a few "borrowed photos of Dee....from our inforalanding gallery of greats.

Anyone care to share your stories about our "DEE OF RICE?" Time to LIFT-UP our beloved brotha in balsa shavings and dust.
JUMP ON IN HERE!!!

(while you are at it...check out where he lives...while in cyberspace!
http://brotherhoodofthering.info/
CONGRATS...BIG DEE! KEEP GOIN' ROUND-ROUND-ROUND!!!! STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY!
Don Shultz

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
Re: Mr. ORIENTAL DEE RICE-STUNT GRUNT MASTER OF THE DAY
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 05:03:48 PM »
A few weeks back, we had the First Annual Ringmaster Round-Up. Here's Dee enjoying what he loves...He's a key factor to the success of this new event! Thank you Dee Rice!

The last photo is Dee and another Stunt Grunt candidate, Lew Woolard..watch out Lew!
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 05:28:34 PM »
Heck, I guess Dee was about 10 years old when he designed the Oriental!! ??

The "Master of the Ring" is a very deserving Stunt Grunt of the Day!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 05:33:07 PM »
That is great..all Ive known of Dee is from the Brotherhood site, had NO idea he is responsible for such a piece of art..kudos!

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 07:10:14 PM »

Hey Guys;

This man is an icon, how come there is no biography on him anywhere, I looked for the last 20 minutes nothing? Maybe it's time we started one, what you think. He was a fearce competitor then and from what I have heard he still is. Time to do some homework I guess. Email me if you have any written info, OK?

"Billy G"   (PE**)
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 07:33:02 PM »
Dee Rice was invited to, and attended, the '06 Jim Parsons Memorial Stunt-a-Thon at Thun Field last June, and threatened to come back this year. He was up here for a golfing vacation with his son and daughter-in-law...all avid golfers (what that, Obie Wan?). Pat Johnston made sure Dee had the info and provided planes for Dee to fly. As I got to Judge several events, I can tell you, that Dee is still a real good pilot, and a true gentleman. We got Dee to tell us how the "Oriental" got named, too. Not real sure it was the true story, but it was the best story! Be sure to ask, if you get the chance. Dee is a class act...very happy to have met him, and hope he comes back this year.  H^^ Steve

PS: Dee was very impressed with the golf courses in the Puget Sound area. No rattlesnakes, either....
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 09:56:57 PM »
Great photos and post...Steve!
Thanks....
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 07:56:56 AM »
Bill,
talk to Pat Johnston, he is pretty tight with Dee from what I hear. He may be able to fill in some blanks foryou
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 10:26:35 AM »

Hey Guys;

This man is an icon, how come there is no biography on him anywhere, I looked for the last 20 minutes nothing? Maybe it's time we started one, what you think. He was a fearce competitor then and from what I have heard he still is. Time to do some homework I guess. Email me if you have any written info, OK?

"Billy G"   (PE**)

Billy G,

I am going to ask Master Dee for an autobiography!  He should be able to give a pretty good account of his model activities!

BUT, I get to put in the HOF nomination! ;D

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 11:33:12 PM »
I met Dee at VSC # 12. I did not fly that year but went to only observe. I was standing around minding my own business whe sudenly said," hey Leo grab those planes in the pit". I said huh when sudenly a large box flew by me like it was shot out of a cannon. The shouter was non other than Pete Peterson who was pit Boss that year. Pete grabed Kieth Trosels Bearcat and I grabed Dee's Orental.
  After the dust settled this guy showed up and thanked me for saving his plane. He introdused himself as Dee Rice. He said he owed me a beer.  He said that he was so busy trying to save his canopy on top of the knowl that he forgot all about his plane. I haven't seen him since but when I do I will remind Him about that beer. Again this is one of the great guys of our stunt community that has a great personality and always has a smile on his face.Thanks Dee for being who you are. My pleasure to know you! HH%%

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 04:13:48 AM »

"Big Bear"

Be my guest------just get it done------it's another one that is overdue.   y1 y1 y1

"Billy G"  HH%%
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 11:13:06 PM »
Dee's Bio....(sung to the tune of one of those crumby oldies)

"Dee was born in a Rice paddy in SE Texas...

Born, he was, to an old mama lion...

She said "Dee, you fly better or I'll whup yo' butt..."

He practise and he practise and learn that ol' pattern...

Design' a new plane that had the right stuff...

It become a Classic, to be built for generations...

Prob'ly outlast the Unity Nations..."

(the End...for now...all I have come up with is Adult Rated)  LL~ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dee

• Dee Rice
  • New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 12:57:09 PM »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the nice things said. I really do appreciate it. I will try to include my favorite pictures of the Ringmaster Roundup which we had only a couple of weeks ago.

I love this hobby, Dee

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 05:24:25 PM »
That Dee guy sure has a way with the ladies..I don't the man personally,but have dealt with him on line(got news for you guys..sources have revealed  to me he is only 35 years old)..it could be Susan, but I ain't talkin

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here