News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:56:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glad I Found This Forum!  (Read 13359 times)

Offline Andy Bush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Glad I Found This Forum!
« on: March 28, 2015, 03:56:35 PM »
After many a year, I'm playing around with getting back into the hobby, mostly because of my son taking an interest.

So I built a bench in the basement and went looking thru old boxes for what I could find. I've been hauling this stuff around since the 60s. I found my engines, everything from Enyas from the Korean War era to 049/020s from the late 50s to Fox and Torpedo engines up to 35s.

I had a temporary revival in the 90s and scratchbuilt a couple of stunt designs...never finished them and they are a little ratty after surviving 20+ years in the basement. One is a Thunderbird built from plans. The other is a bit different. I had taken the family to the Smithsonian Air Museum and was really hooked with the Hughes H-1 racing plane. I drew up my own plans for a semi-scale 48" wingspan model that I wanted to put a Fox 35 in. I never finished the model but I include it here in case you are wondering what it looks like.

Needless to say, I've got some patching and cleaning ahead of me. Maybe I'll get these things into the air after all!!

Offline Andy Bush

• New Pilot
Re: Glad I Found This Forum!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 05:51:20 PM »
The Moon brothers in Dallas also did the Hughes racer in the early 2000's. Might be photos on here some where. That is a sharp looking model. finish it and post more photos. H^^

I'll try to do that!

Making the model in semi-scale was fun. I wanted flaps but the trailing edge isn't straight. Not to worry. I got some RC linkages and found a way to run pushrods to each flap independently...it took a fair amount of experimentation to get what seems to be equal flap travel. The proof will be in the first flight, I imagine!

Andy

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »
Finish those good looking planes.  Loosen up the engines for them and get them in the air. Glad you are back.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Andy Bush

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:01:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing these photos of some really unique models...LV em
 and share anyothers with us?

Thanks!!

I'm starting a Veco Squaw project. I downloaded a picture of the Veco plans and enlarged them...I think I'm going to make a 1/2A version along with something for my Torpedo 23.

More on that later.

Andy

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 10:59:53 AM »
The Moon brothers in Dallas also did the Hughes racer in the early 2000's. Might be photos on here some where. That is a sharp looking model. finish it and post more photos. H^^
Thanks for sharing....this "TIME WARP" photo..and it looks like you are pretty much on the road to finishing a very nice model....Always loved that design  ans well as that Thunderbird...in black fab!

Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 11:06:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing....this "TIME WARP" photo..and it looks like you are pretty much on the road to finishing a very nice model....Always loved that design  ans well as that Thunderbird...in black fab!

The late Tim Dunlop from Portland was a T Bird fan BIG TIME!...Again here is his beautiful model from the mid 60's! Miss his friendship so much.
Don Shultz

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 10:26:29 AM »
Thanks!!

I'm starting a Veco Squaw project. I downloaded a picture of the Veco plans and enlarged them...I think I'm going to make a 1/2A version along with something for my Torpedo 23.

More on that later.

Andy
I know that I am responding a day late and maybe $$$ short but if you go to http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/  you will find a plan for the Veco Squaw I recently uploaded there. I am returning to modelling and am planning on building one soon to replace the original kit model I had.
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 03:51:45 PM »
Your Hughes H-1 is nice.  There was an exact replica built here in nearby Cottage Grove, OR by Jim Wright.  I visited his hangar several times to check the construction progress and to visit with Jim.

I didn't see the test flights, but he routinely flew up and down the I-5 here to burn off his test hours.

Sadly, the plane crashed near Yellowstone Park on return from the Oskosh fly-in.  The plane was destroyed and Jim was killed.

I took this picture when the plane visited our Eugene, OR airport.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here