News:

• April 25, 2024, 05:53:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GEORGE LIEB ICON STUNT GRUNT for Bruce Malm-Mike Potter, n' Shultzie  (Read 6609 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
George Lieb...is the ultimate modeler...gifted designer, builder, stunt flyer,combat, speed flyer, carrier, scale builder...GEORGE DOES IT ALL but most of all...

TEACHER, CONFIDANT,FRIEND and like a 2nd father to Mike and Bruce...and a long time brother in balsa to everyone who loves anything that flies. During those lean years...when I was trying just to survive.....and pay rent and to feed my addiction to stunt model building and flying.

George also was one of the most giving human beings that I have ever known. Many times he would call me up, knowing that I just might not have .50cents to my name...and he and his beautiful wife would graciously invite us to dinner..and then he would take us down into his virtual museum model shop basement..where he would spend time working and showing us the fine art of building, finishing.
His models and engines always ran with total perfection...and his flying skills was truly unmatched...and encouraged Bruce, Mike and so many of the rest of us...near de wells just how to be the best we could be.
When I think back...
GEORGE ONLY COMPETED IN EVENTS..WHERE THE CLOCK RULED! Although he was a master stunt flyer....he refrained fully from stunt competition events. I think mostly because he felt in his soul...that no mortal grunt should judge another human being on flying stunt...and to be bluntly honest. George, I think....knew that the virtually impossible task of picking the best flight of the day would at best, be a guess.
George DIDN'T EVER LIKE TO GUESS! He was a noted AIR COMMAND TRAFFIC CONTROL at a secret site underground. Mike and Bruce...please help me fill in the details about this most complicated and gifted genius in model building?
WE HAVE A BILLION-N'-KAJILLION STORIES about our beloved model master!
Don Shultz

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
Re: GEORGE LIEB ICON STUNT GRUNT for Bruce Malm-Mike Potter, n' Shultzie
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 11:10:27 AM »
George was on heck of a builder but never kept and prints of what he built.The Cirrus that I am pictured with is George's designs. It is about 720 square inches and it only weight about 45 OZ. The one I built in Viet Nam came out heavier as I of course didn't have the best choice of wood, etc. And if you think the wind would bother it, you're dead wrong and the square corners were something else. I called George a year or so ago and we spoke for hours and he still had a lot of the specs. in his memory and I took many notes to help my memory. There are some unique changes in the design of the D-tube wing that made it very light and yet I believe just as strong as normal construction. The Cirrus would also track so well in level flight that I often trimmed the grass inverted with it. Smotzie can testify to that as I sold him my plane when I moved to CA, as I was afraid it would get damaged a, and their tips of the blades still had some grass stain on them. Smotzie, I heard you won several contest with that plane until the leadouts let go. I have picked up a couple of KB 45 Greenheads and will build another Cirrus after I retire. George even solved the noise problem when he showed up with a Diesel power stunter. Not quite as quiet as and electric but in stunt configuration it a real difference from the nitro versions with no muffler. I just hope I will be able to get out and meet all these old friends before they are gone, or I am.

Respectfully  to all the Stunt, Combat, Carrier, and Race GURU's that have kept this great hobby of controline  going for me to enjoy!!!!

Bruce G. Malm / AMA27695      H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ AP^

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 12:45:36 PM »
Your right about that old Red plane of Lieb's...one leadout not only blew out of that model..but also on the new Blue and White one that I used the original wing from.
That old wing...which wasn't destroyed, so to save time, Hey, all I needed to do was built a brand new fuselage, stab and elavator.
 BUT I DIDN'T REPLACE THAT WORN BELLCRANK. DAAA???  n~

Although I replaced the broken leadouts ends (that "didn't look toooooo bad)  soOOOO to save rebuilding time and still use that amazingly lightly built original wing which was not too badly damaged..
And after workin' my butt off to meet the SanPoint contest deadline...that new George Lieb special was finished JUST IN THE NICKITY OF TIME at the dawn of the contest at SandPoint.

I could still smell of the sprayed on AeroGloss  topcoat clear as I signaled to start the engine for my first morning qualification flight.
ALSO DREW THE FIRST FLIGHT of the day..(with no test flight. If it hadn't been for BAD LUCK, I would'nt had NO LUCK AT ALL!!!

After a smooth take off and beautiful consistantly on rails level laps... I tried to pop that hard snappy downwind 2nd corner STYLE AND PROFILE into inverted flight! "POW!"

I can see still in my mind that big 700+  area'd outboard wing panel, sailing end over end..as the 25mph + wind carried that panel toward the waters of Lake Wa. after the model hit nose first and blew apart...scattering model parts and pieces for a 1/4 of a mile down wind.

Here is that aftermath photo...after I picked up most of the pieces that were left over. OUCH!
Sad ending for one amazing flying machine.

"Again, NO MISTAKES, JUST LESSONS TO BE LEARNED!" (never install a soft aluminum bellcrank without bushing over those saw-tooth like braided steel leadout cables...plus that NO-NO'S OF ALL NO-NO'S...NEVER USE SOLDER ON ANY LEADOUT CABLE ANYWHERE...

Look carefully at this photo...notice that BOTH LEADOUTS FAILED! NOT JUST THE DOWN LINE..SEE THE BELLCRAND LEADOUT TALE TAIL ENDS...STICKING UP OUT THROUGH THE BROKEN SILKSPAN ON THAT INBOARD PANEL?   ~^

Here is the repainted original George Lieb built airplane with a new  Aero Gloss BRIGHT RED FINISH a reshaped aft end with the tail wheel installed in the sub dorsal below the rudder. I had to add that because of that reeaaaaaaaally light wing loading. However a few weeks later...I removed the offset and it flew very well...that is, until I snagged a Dandy-lion tassle at Carkeek Park and took the nose off..and busted the entire tail section when it free-flighted over the top of the circle and almost hit the tree limbs..I didn't let go of the handle until I yanked itself into the rather hard soil and sparce grass (weeds)...Humm.
 THAT HAS TO BE THE REASON THE LEADOUTS AND BELLCRANK TOOK SUCH A HIT and led to another quickeeee rebuild from hell, to make SanPoint only a short time later?
I wonder what George would have though of the way I treated his beautiful old stunter?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 01:08:16 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 11:02:46 PM »
Hey,Hey! If you won't make fun of my goofy hair part thingy I won't crack any gold tooth grill in the face jokes. Besides I just had a lobotomy and had to comb it that way to cover the scar!  n~
Ah the good old days of trying to fly carrier with those cranky old slotted engines that always wanted to load up and quit on the 6th lap just when you thought you had a shot at the deck! Or ripping the whole tail off hitting the deck at 50 mph. Or not being centered on the deck and lopping the outboard half of the wing off on the rope eyelet
Getting back to George stories. I remember going out to Ron's Model Mart in Georges 64 Falcon wagon. We were about half way there and I noticed he was moving the gear shift back and forth. George was so smooth I had assumed it was an automatic,it was a thee on the tree manual shift! George is just as smooth on the control handle as he is on the shifter. I think Don,Bruce and I learned a lot from George in those formative days, all of us are still at it. Maybe not as light a builder and not as smooth on the handle but we are still trying.   Mike
mike potter

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 12:09:35 AM »
I can remember puting one of my Ruffys in on the downturn of the wingover at Sandpoint. It sure makes a mess and you just don't pick up the garbage and it slows the contest down. Mine was a bad control horn. Ya I know everyone thought it was pilot error!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 07:53:46 AM »
Hey Mike...
I resemble those razzz n jazzin remarks about the gold teeth, ;D funny hair-do's funny silk striped shirts, green plaid pants, black dress shoes, white socks,funny glasses, and an Elvis hair-do with silly glasses......

AREN'T OLD FOTO'S FUNNY?

Mike...You must have some funny ol photos somewhere in some old shoe box that can get even with us.....the older generation that is mostly responsible for making you youngin's turn out that way.  LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 06:22:54 PM »
Three of the nicest old guys I know. Shultzie quit all that funny dressing and stuff after he got married. He had too. They kept baring him from all these neet places. The establishment was not very leanient in those days and he always looked a little suspicios. But he was a lot of fun so we let him play with us!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 06:27:43 PM »
Three of the nicest old guys I know. Shultzie quit all that funny dressing and stuff after he got married. He had too. They kept baring him from all these neet places. The establishment was not very leanient in those days and he always looked a little suspicios. But he was a lot of fun so we let him play with us!

Like they (who's they anyway....
"U CAN DRESS UM' UP BUT THEY STILL DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY, BUT THAT'S STILL OK! IF THEY KNOW HOW TO PAY!!!!
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 09:22:50 PM »
George Leib is an icon in this area.  I remember meeting him at the first contests held somewhere outside of Omaha.  I think the SAC Museum facilities.  As stated he only entered events that were judged by the stop watch.  I can still see him flying profile carrier until the sliders came along.  As a pit man he was un-equaled.  Especially when Mike Tallman was flying lately.  He used to have a younger lad at one time that he worked with.  He was always open to give advice, sometimes too much.  But, he was also great to be around too.  George is still in Omaha and comes to Topeka, KS to fly scale race.  Not as fast as he used to be, pit wise, but fast in the air.  Did not know of the passing of his wife at the last memorial day race until after he had already left for home.  He is one of the greats.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here