News:

• April 24, 2024, 10:04:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gator Nationals in Sebring Florida 60's  (Read 1231 times)

Offline David Shad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Gator Nationals in Sebring Florida 60's
« on: March 10, 2010, 12:01:22 PM »
Wayyyyy back in the day...1968 and thereabouts I competed in an event as a
junior (15) called the Gator Nationals in Sebring, Florida...Does anybody remember this event and what happened to it????  They had everything freeflight and control line...I was in awe of the models and spent the entire time when not flying looking at all the masterpieces.  This place is enormous so you could spend a lot of time going from event to event.  At the time I flew a Skyshark with a Enya .29 in Carrier...not too fast but a good slow speed and always reliable...Goodyear with my trusty old Buster and Supertigre .15D and my Saber Stunt...never knew how much it weighed and the McCoy .35 was a bear to start...the judges were gracious with their stop watches though cuz I was never asked to take an attempt to try again
later.    My little brother and I had the most fun together and still remember the times.

I'm hoping some of you older guys...from that area remember or competed there and may know what became of this event.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:14:13 PM by Shultzie »
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: Gator Nationals in Sebring Florida 60's
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 12:17:01 PM »
Sorry Dave...
I tried in vain to enhance your small photo....Any chance of a higher resolution scan?
Also I am pretty certain that you will get some replies to this post of yours...
Thanks for sharing your story with us and check back daily for a reply?

(nice looking models also!)  H^^
Don Shultz

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:25:48 AM »
 Yessiree Ty, and it's this weekend. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 08:37:56 AM »
David  I was at that meet and flew FF. I had my 68 Road Runner with out air and spent most of my time under the wing of a large cargo plane so I could keep out of the hot sun. I was visiting from NYS and staying with my  grandparents in New Port Richey and brought some FF models to fly. I do have some pictures from that meet but it will take a lot of looking to find them.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here