News:

• April 23, 2024, 05:05:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Found this old CHIP slide from JUNE 67?  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Found this old CHIP slide from JUNE 67?
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:05:26 AM »
Just found this old slide of a Super Chip...in one of my old family box of negatives...The slide mount has imprinted JUNE 67?

I have no idea...but suspect this may be a shot taken at Albany of Bob Welch's still in triming stages Chipmunk?  Maybe even from the 67 nats in LosAllymostest'?  H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
Re: Found this old CHIP slide from JUNE 67?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:52:13 AM »
Don, I'm pretty excited to see that first pic.  Two things really jump out at me:

1) The tail surfaces are built-up, not sheet.  The only plan I've ever seen with built-up tail surfaces was the Model Airplane News plan, part of Jim Van Loo's original construction article in the March 1968 issue.  If this picture was taken in June of 1967, it could't have been built from the MAN plans.  Below is a picture of Van Loo's '67 NATS entry (Chris McMillan photo) - you will notice differences with your picture - it's not that airplane.

2) Also in your pic #1, notice the shortened elevator counter balances. 

3) Also the canopy appears to me to be a standard "bubble" type canopy, not the same as the canopy on Van Loo's '67 Chipmunk in the McMillan pic.

So was this airplane a Chipmunk design by someone other than Van Loo?  Or is it Van Loo's very first one, that he took along to the NATS as a backup?  It's a mystery.

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:53:51 AM »
forgot the pictures

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 06:55:28 AM »
Jim Van Loo's 1967 NATS entry (Chris McMillan photo)

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 05:26:01 PM »
Mike,

The number on the tail is the same, however, the flaps are longer on the 1st one.  Maybe it's Jim Van Loo's original and the next one is the one for the 67 Nats?  Could be...

Jim Pollock   %^@

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
The reason I thought this Chip belonged to Bob Welch...it appears to have a wing that has a slight dihedral? Which would mean that this one is Welch's but this slide doesn't give a good view to see whether or not this model contains that or not?
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 05:56:50 AM »
Jim, the number on the rudder is off the full-scale Hal Krier Chipmunk.  It's not an AMA number.

Don, in your original post I missunderstood and thought you were saying that only the second pic was Bob Welch.  Now that I look more closely at both pics, I think you are right.  The wingtips look identical in your two pictures.  Must be Welch's airplane in the first picture too.  So then his Chipmunk pre-dates the Van Loo magazine article!?

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 10:56:38 AM »
Jim, the number on the rudder is off the full-scale Hal Krier Chipmunk.  It's not an AMA number.

Don, in your original post I missunderstood and thought you were saying that only the second pic was Bob Welch.  Now that I look more closely at both pics, I think you are right.  The wingtips look identical in your two pictures.  Must be Welch's airplane in the first picture too.  So then his Chipmunk pre-dates the Van Loo magazine article!?
I have Bob Welch's and Joe Dill's E mails and phone #s and this will certain clear up if this is Bob Welch's beautiful Chipmunk.

Joe and Bob...often flew "pairs" these two models. Both of those models going through a modified flight plan was AWESOME!
Both Joe and Bob took away some pretty good top 3 place hardware from the rest of us in those old daze day's of the 60-80s!
for more info on these two amazing CLPA'rs...go to our search engine and type in "Joe Dill" and "Bob Welch."
Don Shultz

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:59:03 AM »
Mike,

What about the question on the difference between the Foam Wing that I now believe that Mike Stott's Dad cut and the Sig Kit wing.  I remember the original wing was 55", was it proportionally thicker also?

Jim Pollock  H^^

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 02:34:34 PM »
Jim,
The information I got in talking to Jim and Mike is:

Jim's 1967 Chipmuk(s)  - wood wings, 57" span
Jim and Mike's 1968-69 Chipmunks - Foam Flite wings, 55-1/2" span (I measured Mike's myself)
MAN plan - wood wings, 54" span
SIG CL-3 Chipmunk kit - wood wings, 54-3/8" span

They all used the same root and tip rib templates.

Mike

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 10:48:59 AM »
Interesting Mike,

Then you could build a Chipmunk wing in either 54",  55 1/2" or 57" using the root and tip templates and be perfectly classic legal!  The 55 1/2" version is the 1969 Nats senior champion version though!

Jim Pollock    #^

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 05:29:35 PM »
Interesting Mike,

Then you could build a Chipmunk wing in either 54",  55 1/2" or 57" using the root and tip templates and be perfectly classic legal!  The 55 1/2" version is the 1969 Nats senior champion version though!
Jim Pollock    #^
Another scan of the 69 nats line up...Hey, Must be Mikey's model at the front of the pack?
Maybe not...here is a close up shot I took with my old SR-2 and Kodachrome 10 and the canopy looks different than in the first photo? Note the DARK TINTED CANOPY, while the shot I took of Mike in the last shot..the canopy looks Clear? Humm?
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 06:23:01 AM »
Don,

Thanks for the line-up picture! I will add that to my collection.

I think that is Mike Stott's Chipmunk in the front of the line-up.  I believe the canopy looks dark in the picture primarily because of the angle of the shot and the fact that Mike had a very dark cockpit interior.  His canopy was slightly tinted. 

The other thing making me believe it is Mike's Chipmunk (senior class) and not Jim Van Loo's (open class) is that the airplane behind the Chipmunk is Jerry Lake's jet style Navy scheme original design.  Jerry was one of Mike's best NATS friends.  Jerry used one of Mike's FOAM-FLITE wings in his airplane (notice no rib reflections in the pic).

Thanks again for the nice pic.

Mike

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 10:36:12 AM »
Yeh..Mike!
I see what you mean...and I agree after looking at that slide under my 20 power magnifier that is indeed... Stott's ride.
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 11:06:52 AM »
Just found this old slide of a Super Chip...in one of my old family box of negatives...The slide mount has imprinted JUNE 67?

I have no idea...but suspect this may be a shot taken at Albany of Bob Welch's still in triming stages Chipmunk?  Maybe even from the 67 nats in LosAllymostest'?  H^^
Who is that skinny guy walking by in the background? I thought he was a banded fly from the past. HB~> HB~> LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 11:18:02 AM »
Who is that skinny guy walking by in the background? I thought he was a banded fly from the past. HB~> HB~> LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Don't have a clue bout' the skinny kid...but THAT HAT BELONGS TO YOU...LEO!!! H^^ LL~
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here