News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:56:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FOUND-FOND-FOTOS' this morn.  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
FOUND-FOND-FOTOS' this morn.
« on: December 15, 2011, 02:04:37 PM »
While looking for some old Christmas photos from long ago from my collection of old slides....I ran across negatives of TED FANCHER'S beautiful old CLPA model that Ted so faithfully stored away on Bob Emmett's stunt hanger wall (for safe keeping away from Shultzie's old addiction to "TEST RIDE" any and all stunt models that I he could get his stickee-sweat clammed hand onto.)

TIME HAS CERAINLY TAIN'T MY  DEMENTED BRAIN'S MEMORY BANK.... ONE FACT still remains quite vivid and clear this model designed, built, and flown by TED FANCHER was one of the BEST models that I have ever had the pleasure to fly.
It turned the cleanest corners...no oversteer or bar belly's....groooooooooooooved on rails....plus that design looked great on the end of the lines.
Thankfully Ted added some really HOT STRIPES to the fuselage...which really helped keep a BASICALLY BLACK MODEL IN FLIGHT MODE CONTINUALLY VISUAL. (Even against the dark shadow of the near by  AeroSpace Center brick wall.)

Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: FOUND-FOND-FOTOS' this morn.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »
Hmm, ST46 for power. I remember this plane well. The pictures look to be taken in the East Parking Lot at the Boeing Space Center.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:44:51 PM »
Hmm, ST46 for power. I remember this plane well. The pictures look to be taken in the East Parking Lot at the Boeing Space Center.

Right you are!!! Over by the Tennis courts...(my first flight was in wind that was actually coming from the NW but it was hitting the tennis court buildings and bouncing back toward all of us at the circle...
Shortly before this photo was taken...WE MOVED THE STAGING AND FLYING AREA TO THIS  SPOT...ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE STREET AWAY from the weird turbulance off the tennis court building. Needless to say...I didn't score with a  S**T SH^
Here is a shot of Gary Letsinger and Joe Dill....just before Joe had a chance to fly in that laundry dryer air.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:42:10 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 08:47:07 AM »
Were we really that young.   LL~ LL~ Thanks for the pics. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:48:22 AM »
Don, what year were these taken? Any idea. Looking at Joe, I suspect it was 1982-84? Before that?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 11:40:14 AM »
Don, what year were these taken? Any idea. Looking at Joe, I suspect it was 1982-84? Before that?

Uhh?
Let me check the slide mount.
I tucked these slides back into a file box just last night
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 06:51:35 PM »
Check the slide mount...however I can see that green tool box of mine in the background and so I think that this was the same contest and roll that I took the slides of Ted's BLACK MONEYCOAT' WINGED TEDDYBEAR MODEL WITH THE ORANGE AND RED STRIPES that post on this same forum posting above.

Perhaps Ted Fancher would have more memory brains cells in tact than mine but also try to blow up TED'S FAI HAT in that first photo--- which might also give us a clue about the date. n~
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 07:16:30 PM »
Ted looks about 12 years old, so I was trying to figure out if I was at this contest. I started going to contests at Boeing about 1983. This may have been before that. I always like the black bomb.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 08:13:32 AM »
The FAI patch is 1976, The Nats patch, on his hat, is 1980.
I'm confused since I had started competing against Ted several years before those patches were avaliable. I recall Ted being a bit older. In fact I believe Ted never looked that young! Think about it. Would United Airlines hire a ten year old kid to sit anywhere near the front of an airliner?
In addition, that plane is very different from the stuff he had that I remember. Black? Round Cowl? Monokote? I'll bet these pictures were fixed up with that new fangled Photoshop thing. Someone even spliced in Gary McCellan holding Teds' plane on one picture. Gary lives in Texas and everyone knows that Texans, in the interest of public safety, are not allowed to leave Texas except for two weeks each July. I am pretty sure the Northwest would be covered in snow then.
All that being said Roberta and I want to wish each of you a Happy Holiday Season and a safe New Year.
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »
Thanks..Les! LL~ CLP**You just may be right about that time frame....and also since that was the year I flew with that modified Super Chipmunk.
Not only was that Gary McC' acting as his stooogie' but his young son put in an amazingly flown pattern with his new Chipmunk.
Here is the gaggle of Super Chips that flew that same day. (Gary's son's Chipmunk is the Chip in this photo has the RED painted wing.
Gotta double check that time frame with Gary Letsinger....luckily  Gary seems to have retained more brain cells than most of us old dope and fume taint'd stuntgruntsters. n~
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure the black bomb was the predecessor of the Citation.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 12:47:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure the black bomb was the predecessor of the Citation.
Yes...I think Ted posted that somewhere in this forum a few years back..
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here