News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:29:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Meaning of the word "Grunt"?  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Neville Legg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Meaning of the word "Grunt"?
« on: October 19, 2009, 01:08:34 PM »
What is the meaning of the word "Grunt" in the US? Here in England it can mean (in slang of course!) a miserable old "sod", or the lowest of the low! (bottom of the pile as it were!) as well as its literal meaning, of a noise made when straining, or passing a comment of displeasure!  ;D

Cheers     Neville
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:47:47 PM by Neville Legg »
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Meaning of the word "Grunt"?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:21:19 PM »
It has avery similar meaning here as well, but in American slang, descriptive words can also have a more positive meaning. Consider the following sentence. "That's a "wicked" stunt plane dude."
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:48:10 AM »
Ty is right. Try going back 200 years and reading stuff (in english) that was meant for the common man. Very tough to follow the structure and the idioms don't make much sense today so gaining much meaning is quite difficult without a translation or understanding of the culture that surrounded it. Imagine what some future archeologist is going to think when he reads John's sentence above if he doesn't understand the culture or current idioms?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 03:48:21 PM »
The English language as I'm sure you are aware is a mixture of many European languages! According to the Collins dictionary I've just looked in, the word "grunt" is to make a sound similar to a pig!!! ;D    But the young lad serving behind the bar in my local pub the other night refer-ed to himself as the "lowest grunt around here, getting all the s......t jobs"! (I think the manager had wound him up that evening?)  mw~ It is said that the UK and the US are two nations divided by a common language! (think I got that right) That's right not rite, and colour not color!  S?P

Cheers       Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 04:07:42 PM »
Neville,

Common language, but... I have heard some Brits murder the King's (Queen's) language even worse than we do. I'll bet your friend in the local pub could prove that.

You should come to Texas rural areas. The Queen would never understand it. And Obama would call it another crisis.
AMA 7544

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »
...or Cajun country in Louisiana.  Almost another language.

By the way Neville, most Americans do not use "rite" for right...although we do spell "color" as well as many similar words, "favor", etc.--no "u".  Most noticable when doing a crossword puzzle produced in the "old country", very confusing.

But we still love you guys.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 01:21:53 PM »
Ray,  When my sister-in-law and her husband lived in Hinckly, we drove up for a visit.  Went on up to his sister place and was told my southern drawl was too slow.  Guess it must be the few years I lived in southern Missouri.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 01:58:35 AM »
When I was at school in the 50's and 60's, the English teacher would pull us up on they way we spoke, if we said 'aint, yeah, or nah! So we soon learned to speak a reasonable English so as not to be ridiculed in class! But today, as the song says, anything goes! I can't understand some of the local youngsters around here! Is it laziness? Do we not care about standards anymore? (that sounded terribly snobbish didn't it?  ;)) LOL
I blame you Americans for this, for all the westerns and tv programs we were brought up on!  S?P

Cheers   Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 10:47:15 AM »
Blimey!!! are they still showing those old tv programs over there? I must admit that Fawlty Towers was superb! But there's a lot of junk on the box these days!
I try not to watch too much tv, its eats into model building time!

Cheers      Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »
When I was at school in the 50's and 60's, the English teacher would pull us up on they way we spoke, if we said 'aint, yeah, or nah! So we soon learned to speak a reasonable English so as not to be ridiculed in class! But today, as the song says, anything goes! I can't understand some of the local youngsters around here! Is it laziness? Do we not care about standards anymore? (that sounded terribly snobbish didn't it?  ;)) LOL
I blame you Americans for this, for all the westerns and tv programs we were brought up on!  S?P

Cheers   Neville
Bob from NWO:  If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
AMA 15083

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »
When I was at school in the 50's and 60's, the English teacher would pull us up on they way we spoke, if we said 'aint, yeah, or nah! So we soon learned to speak a reasonable English so as not to be ridiculed in class! But today, as the song says, anything goes! I can't understand some of the local youngsters around here! Is it laziness? Do we not care about standards anymore? (that sounded terribly snobbish didn't it?  ;)) LOL

In the 50s we were in the same boat and no it doesn't sound snobbish.  One can understand a common language but when the words mean different things there is no understanding.  We here accross the pond speak some semblance of American, not to be confused with English.  Also, wh've been conditioned to accept the lowest common denominator when it comes to everything.  Mediocrity Rules!  In restaurants, I find myself starting at 20% and deducting, depending on service.  You blame us?  What about "The Vicar of Dibley"?  But I do love "As Time Goes By"!  Ouch, Dangling participle.
AMA 15083

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 01:05:57 PM »
Reading Roberts post reminded me of the first night/evening of the 2004 Worlds in Muncie.  I had my hands full with plate and glass and found a vacant chair.  Asked if it was taken.  Needless to say it was the team from New Zealand.  The persons remark/question was do you speak English.  I responded by saying I try to speak American.  Even here in this great land of ours words have different sounds and meanings.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 04:22:22 PM »
Robert, I'm surprised programs like the Vicar of Dibley are shown over there? Its a very funny show, its a total send-up of village life here in England, but not that far from the truth!!!!!! ;D. One of the villages here in Kent has people very much like those depicted. I went to a dinner party a few years ago,  given by some good friends of ours, and the local vicar and his wife were also invited, laugh! well his wife was very down to earth, and could drink me under the table!!!! n~ She had us in stitches all night. I forget how many bottles of wine we got through that night,? But what a lovely couple they were. If you visit a village pub you will find characters like those from the Vicar of Dibley in there, farmers, village idiots, village know-alls etc. Mind you the village pub here will be extinct if something isn't done soon!

Cheers       Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 02:14:04 AM »
Can you sum up in one sentence what it is you like about British TV programs???

Cheers      Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 10:30:08 AM »
Neville,

In one sentence, British comedies are truly funny whereas American sitcoms are stupid!
AMA 15083

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 10:36:31 AM »
Ty and Neville,

We had a pastor (vicar)  that appeared to be exactally like the vicar of Dibley.  She was large, single and her actions approximated the good vicar.  I sometimes had to cover my mouth in fear of bursting out laughing when she did the same thing the vicar had done.  My wife didn't think the show was funny  because she was not terribly impressed with our pastor.  She does laugh at the show, however.

Bob
AMA 15083

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 02:22:16 AM »
All around AMerica we have pockets of strange language, even thogh it is American/English.  Take the Smokey Mountain area of North Carolina (where I was born).   There are really some conjunctions and all that have no basis in either language1  And they are commonly used.  What is surprising is that you CAn understand what is being said, it just sounds *funny* to most.

I like BBC/America.  The Missus and I use to watch Faulty Towers all the time!  It even came on the UNCTV (Univeristy of North Carolina) channel.  Now I watch Top Gear and even the Missus thinks it is funny.  Like Ty (or some one said), the comedy is funny whereas American comedy shows have grown obnoxious.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »
If you want a lesson on English go to the Barton Model Flying Club site sometime.  A mixture of the UK, Australians and a few other countrys thrown in.  You did have the right spanner for the prop nut, did you not?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 11:25:35 PM »
I miss Benny Hill. I wanted to be just like Benny when I grew up,but I never grew up.  :-*
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:08:22 AM by Shultzie »
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 10:22:18 AM »
Rich...
("wanted to be just like Benny when I grew up...but I never grew up")

GADS RICH, YOU ARE SOOOO BRAVE TO ADMIT SUCH A THING...Humm, Now that I pondaaadisss' ??????
EZ for me to say...since I still love playing with toy airplanes and flyin kiddee' kites LL~ LL~
(Let me share a secret)...
Waaay back in the summer of 1970 while on my honeymoon my wife, she caught me laughin my butt off watching a TV clip of Benny Hill playin showing some of those  young ladies--------

Amazing...
My beloved Carol...must be a Saint to stick with me for so many years..(because I must be a closet Benny Hill fan freak also! H^^)
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 09:45:38 AM »
The last time I tried to watch a so called comedy show, I turned it off.  Someone would say something and the laugh track would go off.  Then someone else would make a comment and then the laugh track.  I liked the good old days of Red Skelton,  Lucille Ball and Abbott&Costello.  There are quite a few others from the early days of TV land.  But my Brother Bob always said the word "Grunt" was the person that had the job duties that no one else wanted.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
Hummm?
Why does the word...STUNT JUDGE comes to mind? ??? ??? LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 12:25:54 PM »
I'm glad we can still produce something good in this country!! Back in '69, my school friend and family emigrated to Australia, and in the last few years via the global "wonder web" he contacted me. He has never been back in 40 years, has always retained his British nationality and always watches British TV programs, like you chaps, he says Aus. TV is awful!
I think the word "grunt" has migrated from the US, as I've heard people use it to describe the person who is the "lowest of the low" in the order of seniority!
If you get the chance, have a look at a program called "Qi" (Quite Interesting) or the satyrical news quiz "Have I got news for you" Very funny!! (well I think so?  ;D)

Cheers       Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 08:51:21 PM »
As Gilligan said...."I speak a little Slang"  H^^
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 01:57:55 PM »
Let me throw a little more into the mix.  We also absolutely LOVE "As Time Goes By."  It reminds us of us.  Not the premise but the attitudes and verbiage.  We liked it so much we bought the entire series.

We're in Southern Florida for the winter and the Miami station, in addition to Vicar, Time and "Keeping up Appearances", also has "Are You Being Served".

As far as Australia goes, as a child, I started reading Neville Shute.  He emigrated from England after the war but wrote most of his books about England.  He did write a few about Australia.  Anyway, he became my favorite writer and still is one of my favorites.  I have every book he wrote, I think, and movies of the two that were made.
I picked up the term,"bloody" reading him and use it to this day. 

Bob
AMA 15083

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 02:45:36 PM »
Let me throw a little more into the mix.  We also absolutely LOVE "As Time Goes By."  

As far as Australia goes, as a child, I started reading Neville Shute.  He emigrated from England after the war but wrote most of his books about England.  He did write a few about Australia.  Anyway, he became my favorite writer and still is one of my favorites.  I have every book he wrote, I think, and movies of the two that were made.
I picked up the term,"bloody" reading him and use it to this day.  

Bob

Bob..
I love that 'AS TIME GOES BY" for a better heading...that is for sure. Perhaps Sparky change that for me...on this Stunt Grunt of the Day thang'-thing'?
GADS!
NEVILLE SHUTE!!! I made a book report on him in high school....and I was HOOKED ON SHUTE'S books....EVA'AFTA'!

BYE THE WAY...I REALLY LOVE THE SOUND OF "As Time Goes By!" for a new heading instead of Stunt Grunt of the Day?"
I WONDER HOW DIFFICULT IT WOULD BE FOR OUR SPARKY TO CHANGE THIS HEADING FOR US?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:14:28 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 12:43:15 AM »
No "E" on "BY" Bob!! ;D Turns it in to a different word!

Bye Bye!     Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 06:48:47 AM »
Donaldo.

I like the new name.

Reminds me a great song and Rick's Cafe!
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 11:20:08 AM »
THANKS SPARKY...for changing the STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY to "AS TIME GOES BY"
Also a huge vote of thanks to Robert Schroeder for the great heading change. I received E mails from a bunch of you old stuntgrunts...who also liked the new "AS TIME GOES BY" heading...

Now if we can just get Robert to H^^ correct the "BYE" to BY!
Let's keep those old photos and stories coming! H^^

Don Shultz

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 05:59:55 PM »
 :'(  I apologize profusely for any confusion or misrepresentation, hijacking, changed meanings or animosities that may have occured as a result of my posts.  I just responsed to what I thought was a statement with no intention of starting anything, especially a change to the headline even if you do like it.  I especially apologize to Nigel for going off on a tangent!

That being accomplished, I have reread all my posts on this thread an nowhere can I find where I spelled by bye.   If you can find it, please let me know!

Bob
AMA 15083

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 08:56:22 PM »
:'(  I apologize profusely for any confusion or misrepresentation, hijacking, changed meanings or animosities that may have occured as a result of my posts.  I just responsed to what I thought was a statement with no intention of starting anything, especially a change to the headline even if you do like it.  I especially apologize to Nigel for going off on a tangent!

That being accomplished, I have reread all my posts on this thread an nowhere can I find where I spelled by bye.   If you can find it, please let me know!

Bob

Bob..
Now the BYE WAS NOT YOUR FAULT....It was my brain fart. As soon as I saw that I had put n' E on BY..
I tried to get Sparky to remove the "E" but.....I guess he must have thought it kinda resembled my feeble mind or somethin and so far THE E still hangs on the Post heading..
I have gotten a bunch of E mails from GRUNTS..who really like the new title.
Again...Thanks for the great sounding NEW HEADING... LL~ n~ HB~> H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »
OK  I sit corrected.  Thanks

Bob
AMA 15083

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 12:13:44 PM »
In a sense "bye" does fit as so many of us are leaving this peice of rock for greater flying fields/circles.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 12:28:34 PM »
In a sense "bye" does fit as so many of us are leaving this peice of rock for greater flying fields/circles.
U GOT THAT RIGHT...

For example my dirt bag FARMERS INSURANCE...without even sending a letter notification that since my 71 birthday they had changed my monthly $1 Mill. $77.00 life insurance to a whopping $200.00 payment monthly payment withdraw and that would only be good for maybe a couple of years...and then they would double or triple that amount...IF I CHOSE TO KEEP UP that BLACK MAIL RANSOM INSURANCE POLICY.
In other words...
DIRTBAG FARMER BOYS WERE SCARED SH-TLESS THAT I JUST MIGHT DIE TODAY...AND THEY WOULD HAVE TO PAY, PAY, PAY n' PAY!
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here