News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:35:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Drive-Ins  (Read 5380 times)

Online john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Drive-Ins
« on: June 28, 2013, 09:33:28 AM »
Remember the late 50's and the 60's when after flying on Saturday or Sunday afternoon, after we were done we would head for the local Drive-In Restaurant for a soda or shake.   Most of them are gone here in the KC area as I remember them.  The Sonics are about as close as they come.

This shot from Wheels-A-Day brought back the memories and I wonder if it still exists.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Drive-Ins
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »
FWIW, "Dick's Drive-In" is one of several small local Seattle chains (also "Herfy's", "Kidd Valley" and "BurgerMaster")  of Drive-Ins that are still around. "A&W's" are just about gone around here, but I was surprised to find them everywhere in eastern British Columbia.  o2oP Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:54:12 PM »
We had two drive ins here.  The Park 'n' Eat, and the "Clam Box".  The CB had 10 hot dogs, all the way, for $1.  They also had a Juke Box in a wooden shed beside the parking lot which they opened after dark.

We also had one Drive In Movie (which is what I thought the title to this thread meant! LOL!!) which lasted into the '80s.  Guys in trunks of the cars, etc., to get in free.  Later they just charged "per car".

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »
My memories of drive-ins (restaurants) in Indianapolis were of weekend nights spent "buzzing" drive-ins on Shadeland Avenue, looking for guys to street race against.  One would idle around the lot, blipping your engine a bit so people would know how badass your daddy's car was with the air cleaner and hubcaps in the trunk.  We even had a quarter mile marked off on a new, unused highway that we would sneak on.  Some nights I would log 100 miles back and forth between drive-ins.  My dad used to keep track.  The two drive-ins I remember most were Frischs' Big Boy and the Jack & Jill, at least on the east side of town.  The tire marks in front were testament to the goings on.

A funny story...back then, lots of kids named their cars and painted the name on the rear fenders, usually in some exotic script.  There was one girl in my high school who had a poor reputation and she earned every bit of it.  She named her car Angel Eyes and displayed it proudly on both sides.  One night she was "cruisin through" looking for the evening's companionship and there, on the driver's side of her '53 Ford, was a used condom stuck onto the rear door, apparently discharged through the window when it no longer was in service.  Of course, patrons honked horns and flashed lights as she drove by.  I'm sure she felt she had lots of friends that night. ;)
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:15:54 PM »
I removed my story since no one here knows me anyway,so why bother na#
Ed
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:57:30 AM by Ed Ruane »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 11:54:29 AM »
I removed my story since no one here knows me anyway,so why bother na#
Ed
Sorry Ed.....You are welcome any time to share your history...Just wanted to say that you felt the need to remove your story.

I have been out of touch lately...due to my advancing stages of Peripheral Neurophty on the nerves and typing with then one hand that still have some "feelings" in the fingers is quite an effort to sit at the computer chair...I have been using my Chrome book and truly enjoy reading these history post in aviation or anything that pertains to flight...especially CL!
Hope your Thanksgiving Ed and Stunt Hanger gang...and wish you now a wonderful Christmas..plus  a reminder for the REASON FOR THE SEASON. H^^ BW@
OPPS! WRONG PHOTO....HUMM? However this does in some way cover "THINGS THAT HATH WINGS AN FLY?"
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »
Jeez, Don, I'm sorry to hear you've got "peripheral neuropathy"....because I've got it also, in my feet. Sometimes, I just think about having them cut off, it hurts so friggin' bad. Numb and yet hurts like the dickens...hard to comprehend until it happens to you. Especially at bedtime, when the swelling goes down, my toes feel like they're on fire...yet cold. The wife asks if my feet are cold, and I tell her she's going to have to tell me, 'cause I don't know. It sucks, fer sure.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 04:50:10 PM »
Jeez, Don, I'm sorry to hear you've got "peripheral neuropathy"....because I've got it also, in my feet. Sometimes, I just think about having them cut off, it hurts so friggin' bad. Numb and yet hurts like the dickens...hard to comprehend until it happens to you. Especially at bedtime, when the swelling goes down, my toes feel like they're on fire...yet cold. The wife asks if my feet are cold, and I tell her she's going to have to tell me, 'cause I don't know. It sucks, fer sure.  D>K Steve
YES!!
WE BOTH HAVE THE SAME SYMPTOMS....EXACTLY!!!! I was told by my doctor visit yesterday..."DON!!! THE NERVE DAMAGE IS NEVER GOING TO GET BETTER...AND IT IS WHAT IT IS!"
NICE HUH?

I have tried in vain to find some kind of drugs that might give relief from the pain...except the only one that worked a little for me...was taking its toll on my KIDNEY'S
When asked...he just gave me that big smile!
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 09:39:30 PM »
I'm on Gabapentin 600mg tabs twice a day or more. I asked about Lyrica...he said it's a newer version of the same basic drug. I think (hope) that means that he's more worried about possible side-effects with Lyrica, due to less history. He said some patients take as much as 3,200mg a day, so if I need to take more, I should try it. I don't like to take it before flying, but driving...aw, what the hell? What kinda crap are you taking? 

For others, this stuff (Gabapentin and Lyrica) are pain killers but not narcotics. They try to trick the brain into not registering the feeling of the pain. It makes it interesting to drive my pickup with 6 speed manual trans. But then it doesn't work all that well, IMO.  :P Steve

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 10:11:28 PM »
I'm on Gabapentin 600mg tabs twice a day or more. I asked about Lyrica...he said it's a newer version of the same basic drug. I think (hope) that means that he's more worried about possible side-effects with Lyrica, due to less history. He said some patients take as much as 3,200mg a day, so if I need to take more, I should try it. I don't like to take it before flying, but driving...aw, what the hell? What kinda crap are you taking? 

For others, this stuff (Gabapentin and Lyrica) are pain killers but not narcotics. They try to trick the brain into not registering the feeling of the pain. It makes it interesting to drive my pickup with 6 speed manual trans. But then it doesn't work all that well, IMO.  :P Steve
Gabapentin...(I have a full bottle of 100mg Gabby'pills's that was given to me 3 months after my operation when it became CLEAR AS CRYSTL METH' THAT the operation proved that the only person it really helped was the $$$ that Tacoma General's staff received from my health providers..

However THE NEXT MORNING I GOT A CALL from my near by  neighbor who is also a Dr. for Multiscare who was a noted Nero' Dr. who's job now has been hired to investigate  Multicare patients that have hired ambulance chasing lawyers to go after their botched operations by lackluster Dr.Whacks.
However bottom line again.
BOTH MY FAMILY DOCTOR AND MY NEIGBOR DR. HAVE BOTH TOLD ME....that due to my rather at risk poor kidney function...I should never even test that full bottle of GABBY 100 MG PILLS AND-----THAT AT LEAST I CAN DELAY THAT WHEEL CHAIR THAT I WAS HEADING DOWN THE PIKE TOWARD..

.AND THAT I SHOULD BE THANKFUL THAT I CAN STILL MANAGE TO WALK... "However my Dr. neighbor----Tells me that my future is simply " IT IS WHAT IT IS...AND BE THANKFUL I CAN STILL WALK and use one hand to type this drivil with. 

However as I type this...I just might go take my last OXY  pill that I have been saving since that day  I left that hospital almost a year ago.
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 10:38:05 PM »
Don, I guess it's good news for you that the Gabapentin/Lyrica don't really knock back the pain very much...you're not missing much. I was given a big bottle of 300mg capsules that the lady said made her super depressed and crying all the time. Yes, I took them to Walgreen's where they came from and asked if they were indeed Gabba.
Checked out ok. Still, I haven't taken many of them. Makes me uneasy, ya know? That's why I never smoked weed or did any illegal drugs. Well, plus dope fumes worked pretty good...

Yes, I'm also thankful that my feet still work as well as they do, and I intend to enjoy them as long as I can. One of the problems is that I can't walk slowly, lest I lose my balance and tip over. Life's a biotch when you're the one that's olde!   %^@ Steve

Online john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 10:28:40 AM »
I feel for you guys.  I finished my treatment on my knees.  Three weeks of it.  Monday, shots in right knee.  Wednesday, shots in left knee.  The third week is when I felt a pain as she made the shot in my left knee.  She looked at me and asked if I was really feeling the pain.  She didn't have to ask a second time.   The following week was start of theropy.  The little lady had me going through some exercises trying to stretch the muscles back out.   Anyway I can now bend my knees and walk without swaying.   Infact she yells at me when I don't bend my knee enough.   I told her it hurts to get started again when I stand or sit too long.   So I have been back for the follow up on the injections.  The nurse couldn't believe how I was moving and the way I was able to sit down and get up compared to the first time she saw me.   But, then she tells me I may start having pains within four months or may go a year.  She says the normal is six months and that is when I am schedules to be re-evaluated again.   Was also told if the pains start again to not hesitate to come back.  But, I did go flying last Saturday and couldn't believe how well I was doing. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 10:41:41 AM »
 H^^
Really great to hear about your success with those painful knees! Last night was another very long night...The temp this morn here in Gig Harbor was a warm sunny 21 degrees.  We are such Wusseee's here in the N/W We need to MAN UP! like you and our other Kansas n' mid west friends!!!

Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 11:13:30 AM »
Doc, I assume you got cortisone/novocaine shots? I've had some of those, one time or another. They worked for me! Unfortunately, part of my current woes is a buggered achilles tendon, and my Dr. won't give the shot there. It's not real clear to me why, but the problem is right about where it attaches to the foot bone, so I guess that may be it. Makes going down stairs really painful, but I can still go up 3 steps at a time.

Well, it looks like we diverted yet another thread into something 180* out...  :o Steve

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »
YES!
Right on...Guess it was due to our tattered old bones, spines, n body parts screaming at us in both the day and night times...plus all this COLD SNAP has been a pretty good excuse...THANK STEVE!
LET'S JUST KEEP IT TO TOY AIRPLANES ON STRINGS.. H^^ LL~ R%%%%
Don Shultz

Online john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 07:01:11 PM »
Well,  how do we get back on track.  Now go to get a burger and malt, it is a drive thru.  And with my right ear gone deaf and the left ear half gone, plus what ever language they are using I have to double check to make sure of what I ordered.    Also don't know why they are changing there symbols like the MacD arches and the Sonic cones.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 08:12:03 PM »
Doc, I've not noticed a change in the Goldurn Arches and Sonics are really rare up here. I'll go to Mickey D's for breakfast occasionally, and I've never been to a Sonics, 'cause the rare ones aren't near me. I prefer DQ, Jack's and Arby's. Have you tried a Jamocha shake at Arby's? Wonderful. But fattening! I really don't know what a "malt" is. Must be some old fashioned thing.  LL~ Steve

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 07:58:49 PM »
Shultzie
 A friend of mine has the same problem as you and Steve in hands and feet. He takes the same pill as I do. He takes it every four hours and I take it one a day for a different problem. It is Tramadol HCL. I take one Tramadol and one Naproxen  a day. I have been bone on bone in both knees for many years. All my joints are worn out but I turn off the pain as best as possible and move on with life. Depression goes along with most of these problems and that can make one much worse.
 SHulzie I will send you a private email and tell you why I took down the above reply.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »
Boy, did THIS one go off track!  What does all this have to do with the original topic?
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »
YES!
Sorry for taking everyone off this thread...but STRANGE HOW PAIN CAN DO JUST THAT and I appreciate the encouragement from my friends who love our planes on strings...etc.
I PRAY THAT ALL OF US HAVE A REALLY GOOD NIGHT AND WEEKEND...EVEN IF THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS FRIGHTFULLY COLD. IT WAS COLDER HERE IN GIG HARBOR THIS MORNING THAN IS WAS IN NOME' ALASKA! R%%%% ~^ H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 07:47:45 PM »
I was living in North Battleford Saskatchewan in the 1970s.  We still had a drive-in then.  It was not doing too well, but was still open and giving those of us that enjoyed it, a place to park, smooch and watch a movie!  Well one fateful summer eve a huge wind storm came up and blew the darned thing down....the next day the marquee read, "Gone With The Wind"!  And she was, never opened again....shame.
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Online john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 07:48:14 AM »
Forgot about those type of drive-ins.  We have a couple in KC area that are used for weekend flea markets(read junk markets).   Dad always said what is one mans junk is another mans treasure.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here